Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2013-06-08, 00:10
Magic Ball Master

This conversation is being recorded

So how much of your private data is being surveilled by the government?

Quote:
DINA TEMPLE-RASTON, BYLINE: Well, they say the NSA has a data-mining program, that it's codenamed PRISM. The Washington Post article says the NSA and the FBI have direct access to servers of companies like Microsoft or Google, Facebook and Apple. And they gather information on foreign communications that way. It sounds a little bit like a social media version of a Bush administration program that did something similar to track terrorist financing.
In that case, the U.S. Treasury and the CIA found a back door to access foreign financial transactions. Now, these current stories are both based on leaks, so we don't have complete information on this program. But the implication is that ordinary Internet behavior of Americans either could be or is being tracked by the government.
WERTHEIMER: When you say ordinary Internet behavior, what would that include? What's being collected?
TEMPLE-RASTON: Well, according to the newspaper reports, it includes emails, instant messages, videos, photos, stored data, the kinds of things that would be stored on cloud services like Google Drive.
Good thing: Your every footstep is tracked by a device you voluntarily carry with you. It's called a mobile phone: http://www.zeit.de/datenschutz/malte-spitz-vorratsdaten When you click play, you can see a little movie of the phone's owners position as was apparent from the data collected by the German government authorities.

But who cares. It's not like we're voluntarily sharing all that stuff with the public anyway on Facebook and Twitter™.

Remember this guy?
Old 2013-06-08, 00:23
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Hahaha. It seems my native preferences regarding social media and mobile gadgets are keeping me protected from the goverments.
All my effords are paying off after all.

Threads: News, Introduction, Discussion, Bugs collection || Content: Characters, Enemies, Items
Words come in all sizes. But even if they fit you,
they might not come at appropriate times.

Good for everyone is finding yourself first,
and then the good in others second.
Old 2013-06-08, 03:05
the legend

Does this mean I'm not that much of a forever alone, and someone, somewhere, actually cares for what I do, what I say, where I go, my interests and hobbys? cool!

I hope the government hires girls in their tracking department.
On second thought, no that would never work - women with such technology wouldn't stop tracking their bf's.

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2013-06-08, 03:08
Panta rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by J McKalling View Post
Hahaha. It seems my native preferences regarding social media and mobile gadgets are keeping me protected from the goverments.
All my effords are paying off after all.
Tell me your secrets!
Old 2013-06-08, 03:26
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
Actually I was thinking of how many people don't have smartphones and big societies still know something about them.
For exemple... A, B, C and D have an android smartphone, Z has an old nokia 6120.
A, B, C and D know Z and they have him in their phone contacts, along with his name, surname, email, mobile phone number, home telephone number, address, birthday, organization, nickname, website, events, aim, skype, yahoo etc.
A B C and D sync their contact list with google.
Google (that already knows who A,B and C are) sees that a,b,c and d's contact info are quite similiar. D never bought an android phone and never used google mail, but google still has their information.
All this is done automatically, and the result is a huge archive with millions of people's info.
Spoiler:
Old 2013-06-08, 12:47
Magic Ball Master

Actually, for people to track your location, all you need is any mobile phone. All it needs to be able to do is make a call.
Old 2013-06-08, 13:59
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Google and Apple have both flat-out denigned this. Google has fought government court orders in the past over access to user data, as well as publishing lists of requests each year.
So, while I am sure the NSA might have tried, I believe Google on this one.
Old 2013-06-08, 14:02
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Google says...
Quote:
You may be aware of press reports alleging that Internet companies have joined a secret U.S. government program called PRISM to give the National Security Agency direct access to our servers. As Google's CEO and Chief Legal Officer, we wanted you to have the facts.

First, we have not joined any program that would give the U.S. government--or any other government--direct access to our servers. Indeed, the U.S. government does not have direct access or a "back door" to the information stored in our data centers. We had not heard of a program called PRISM until yesterday.

Second, we provide user data to governments only in accordance with the law. Our legal team reviews each and every request, and frequently pushes back when requests are overly broad or don't follow the correct process. Press reports that suggest that Google is providing open-ended access to our users' data are false, period. Until this week's reports, we had never heard of the broad type of order that Verizon received--an order that appears to have required them to hand over millions of users' call records. We were very surprised to learn that such broad orders exist. Any suggestion that Google is disclosing information about our users' Internet activity on such a scale is completely false.

Finally, this episode confirms what we have long believed--there needs to be a more transparent approach. Google has worked hard, within the confines of the current laws, to be open about the data requests we receive. We post this information on our Transparency Report whenever possible. We were the first company to do this. And, of course, we understand that the U.S. and other governments need to take action to protect their citizens' safety--including sometimes by using surveillance. But the level of secrecy around the current legal procedures undermines the freedoms we all cherish.
Old 2013-06-08, 14:25
Previously Link

You are aware that if they did provide such data illegally and secretly to the NSA, this information would only been known to a few people, and they would deny it no matter what, and try to prove over-wise.
I'm not saying they do, I'm just saying we have no way to know for sure. I'm not sure how much of such affirmation from Google is purely part of a communication strategy (give the image of an honest company), and how much its leaders are truly willing to protect those values.
If you look at the issue from a business perspective, Google has little to gain to let the image of Big Brother develop too much...
Old 2013-06-08, 15:12
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Oh no, you got me. All right, all right! OK I admit I am a fugitive! OK? There, I said it! Better come clean before you get caught lying right.

Threads: News, Introduction, Discussion, Bugs collection || Content: Characters, Enemies, Items

Old 2013-06-08, 15:21
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Quote:
Originally Posted by J McKalling View Post
Oh no, you got me. All right, all right! OK I admit I am a fugitive! OK? There, I said it! Better come clean before you get caught lying right.

Old 2013-06-08, 15:24
Magic Ball GrandMaster

And you, stop laughing. You know why I had to steal that chocolate bar.

Old 2013-06-08, 18:51
Classic

It would be very strange of google went to court to not give data in the past (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4630694.stm is one of a few, google and youd find more), yet still secretly gave data anyway.

Thats not to say they dont give data - they have lost a few case's too, and have been ordered too on a few occasions.
Merely its pretty unlikely that they wouldn't fight it, then denign it and do it in secret. As previously even "secret" requests they have fought. (http://www.upi.com/Science_News/Tech...6151370027930/)

Of course though, Links right in that it could still be secret despite all this -- but then, that could have been true for any telecoms company since the start.
Old 2013-06-09, 23:30
You what?!

I think the government has better things to do than read my Facebook posts.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-06-09 at 22.27.25.png‎
Views:	96
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	9711  
Old 2013-06-10, 09:27
Classic

Well, we should arguably all talk about bombs,blowing stuff up, and attacking things.
That will flood their system.
Unfortunately, the fact that something does not work never stops the US Government - you should see the trillions they have wasted on the "the war on drugs".
Old 2013-06-10, 14:40
Polly parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
you should see the trillions they have wasted on the "the war on drugs".
Yeah, that's quite sad.
Old 2013-06-11, 03:43
the legend

Kit's posts are teh best!!1!