Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2017-04-07, 19:42
weee

Exclamation Yaru Yaru Yaru Yaru Yaru Yaru Yaru!!!!!!!!!!

I made a game! We made a game! It's a family project. Full details later.

It's been in the air for a while but it's finally almost here.

Point is, YARU is an extremely upcoming game for Android. Actually it's a board game, you don't even need a computer or advanced technology of any kind to play it, just a standard 8x8 board and some game pieces. Unless you count your BRAIN as advanced technology, which it IS.

But it's coming for Android anyway. If you want to play it right now, and I know you DO, PM me your gmail address right freaking now (it has to be gmail, not just any email associated with a google account), and you will be granted permission for early access on Google Play. It's not "unfinished" or "buggy", but just isn't publicly released yet right now due to publicity strategies. Should be a matter of no more than two weeks now though, if nothing goes wrong. Yaru is available to everyone NOW!

Anyway, dear beloved MBN dwellers, you will now play Yaru. You can even play against each other (and me) online! Stay tuned for awesome amazing updates.

P.S.
Visit www.YaruGame.com and for the love of all that's good and holy register the forum and start some threads!!!
But more importantly, play YARU.

Name:  yarulogoswitchcolorstopleftcorner.gif
Views: 173
Size:  4.9 KBName:  yarulogoswitchcolorstopleftcorner.gif
Size:  4.9 KB

Last edited by ChaosFish; 2017-04-15 at 21:24.
Old 2017-04-07, 23:09
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
+1 recommended.
Its one of those games which is enjoyable as you are learning. You feel your brain expanding a bit. Its like if you did a sudoku for the first time, or the first time you learned a new technique to do so.
Old 2017-04-08, 12:25
Polly parrot

Ooh, I am interested, PMing you my gmail account right now

This game reminds me of Chifoumi, a French board game also built around rock-paper-scissor, but the game in france also has a well, in which scissor and stone fall, but paper recovers it.

https://us.trictrac.net/boardgame/chifoumi/documents

Up to four players can play at the same time.

Last edited by Polaris; 2017-04-08 at 13:50.
Old 2017-04-08, 13:55
weee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
+1 recommended.
Its one of those games which is enjoyable as you are learning. You feel your brain expanding a bit. Its like if you did a sudoku for the first time, or the first time you learned a new technique to do so.
Thanks Darkf, really nice to read that from you. Feel free copy paste that into a review in Google Play along with a five star rating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Ooh, I am interested, PMing you my gmail account right now

This game reminds me of Chifoumi, a French board game also built around rock-paper-scissor, but the game in france also has a well, in which scissor and stone fall, but paper recovers it.
Great! You're in!

We've been doing a pretty extensive research before registering copyright for Yaru, Chifoumi is very different from Yaru, didn't play it though, is it any good?

Last edited by ChaosFish; 2017-04-08 at 14:14.
Old 2017-04-08, 16:47
Polly parrot

Thanks

I don't know the rules to Yaru yet, in Chifoumi, the pawns can move in any direction but only one sapce. You can also stack pawns on top of eachother, and only need to capture the top one to take the whole pile.

Chifoumi is a fun game to pass the time, but I never found much depth to it. Still very fun
Old 2017-04-08, 18:10
Quetching a Mr.

Very cool that you made (working on making) your own game (for Android). I've been using GML, and although there is an SDK for Android, it costs too much money. I can use Unity for free and put my games on my Android phone though.

Hmmm... Besides rock, paper, and scissors, what does the word, 'Yaru' actually stand for?
Sounds like some old tribal ritual.

It's too bad you didn't put multicolored horses on the game board though...
Old 2017-04-08, 21:22
weee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Thanks

I don't know the rules to Yaru yet, in Chifoumi, the pawns can move in any direction but only one sapce. You can also stack pawns on top of eachother, and only need to capture the top one to take the whole pile.

Chifoumi is a fun game to pass the time, but I never found much depth to it. Still very fun
I should give it a try then Yaru is different but very simple to learn. That page needs a refreshment (most notably picture of initial board setting) but you can see the rules on yarugame.com. You can also view the rules from within the applicaion of course, or just start playing and see the visual aids on the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQuetch View Post
Very cool that you made (working on making) your own game (for Android). I've been using GML, and although there is an SDK for Android, it costs too much money. I can use Unity for free and put my games on my Android phone though.

Hmmm... Besides rock, paper, and scissors, what does the word, 'Yaru' actually stand for?
Sounds like some old tribal ritual.

It's too bad you didn't put multicolored horses on the game board though...
I'm not much of a programmer, the credit for programming for android goes to my uncle Udi who's a programmer rockstar. He programmed computers from when cpu's were the size of a room and the output was tickets with holes in them.
Strange you say the SDK costs money though. Android Studio, Android SDK and Android NDK are completely free.
[edit]Oh, you were talking about Game Maker! Game maker is actually the programs I used many years ago to make a game that later evolved to become Yaru. It's a cool program and I like the style of the guy who developed it.[/edit]

As for the word Yaru, well, it's a wordplay in Hebrew. It doesn't make any sense if you weren't born and raised in Israel.

Oh, the horses are there. The horses are always there. Just out of sight... studying you.

Last edited by ChaosFish; 2017-04-08 at 22:09.
Old 2017-04-08, 22:12
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Indeed. If someone is charging for the official SDK its a scam.
I mean, what do you think this is? Apple? :P

These days theres a lot of free cross-platform dev tools too.
I have been loving LibGDX recently.

Quote:
As for the word Yaru, well, it's a wordplay in Hebrew. It doesn't make any sense if you weren't born and raised in Israel.
Can you try to explain? I like learning words, etymology as well as wordplay.
Old 2017-04-08, 22:48
weee

Ok, it's a bit awkward to explain, but I'll try.
When we were kids, and we played rock-paper-scisors, we would shout (literal translation) "rock paper scissors, the winner of the two, one, two, three!"
"Rock paper scissors" in Hebrew: "Even Niyar U'Misparayim", but kids pronounce it ”Even Yaru Misparayim". There's no such thing as Yaru in Hebrew, but every kid knows the context when it comes to rock-paper-scissors.

Hope that made it clear. I feel like such an exotic ancient tribe member right now [emoji14]
Old 2017-04-08, 23:56
Classic

No, I got you
Old 2017-04-09, 05:51
the legend

Gotta love fishos's threads.

I've already commented on Yaru earlier with you, but I just want to leave it on record here that it is a GREAT IDEA and very much recommended by me, sgk.

PS: did you unlock the any difficulty mode thing I had ranted on about last year? basically to allow anybody to play at any difficulty at any given time without having to advance levels, something like that.

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2017-04-09, 12:26
Polly parrot

I have an Nvidia SHIELD and it doesn't run on it
I go to single play - level one, it displays "making one-time adjustments, then crashes.
The error I get is "java.lang.NumberFormatException: Invalid double: "1,42"
Old 2017-04-09, 19:35
weee

Pol - Oh no, seems like a serious issue! Can you please send a bug report? After the error occurs, relaunch the app, tap the gear icon in the main menu, and tap "Send us feedback". Just add a short description of the problem and send - the log will be attached automatically.

Kid - Thanks for recommending Yaru!
The levels aren't all unlocked, but you only have to pass the last level of each expertise area (Amateur, Intermediate, Expert) to unlock the next area. You don't have to go through all levels. Certainly it's something that still requires some fine tuning to make it more clear and inviting to all.
Old 2017-04-10, 19:05
Quetching a Mr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
Ok, it's a bit awkward to explain, but I'll try.
When we were kids, and we played rock-paper-scisors, we would shout (literal translation) "rock paper scissors, the winner of the two, one, two, three!"
"Rock paper scissors" in Hebrew: "Even Niyar U'Misparayim", but kids pronounce it ”Even Yaru Misparayim". There's no such thing as Yaru in Hebrew, but every kid knows the context when it comes to rock-paper-scissors.

Hope that made it clear. I feel like such an exotic ancient tribe member right now [emoji14]
Like Darkflame explained. In all languages there tend to be slurs for most children when they begin (like he said) etymology and wordplay. I'm American, so I didn't understand it all. But, now that you've explained it - makes perfect sense. Of course, like you've been saying, there's a little more behind it. But, I guess that's the main 'jist' of it.

Maybe I'll make a little animation where Twinsen and Zoe are playing a game of Yaru, and put multicolored horses running in the background.

Is it me? Or did you guys ever find it weird that the horse's legs from LBA1 are kind of 'boneless' or 'muscleless'? Sometimes when the horse runs and you look at the bend in the legs - there's nothing connecting them besides a single vertex or two.
Old 2017-04-11, 21:39
weee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQuetch View Post
Maybe I'll make a little animation where Twinsen and Zoe are playing a game of Yaru, and put multicolored horses running in the background.
Don't know if you're being serious, but if you actually do that you'd be a hero
Old 2017-04-12, 01:38
Quetching a Mr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
Don't know if you're being serious, but if you actually do that you'd be a hero
I really might consider actually. Perhaps even CGI. I'm preparing for a mission though, so chances are that there might not be anything until awhile, but I'll see. Once I do leave for a mission, the expected time is 2 years.

But, yeah... The animation would be very fun.
Old 2017-04-12, 07:25
Polly parrot

Oooh, where are you going ?
Old 2017-04-15, 20:14
weee

Yaru is now open to everyone! GET IT HERE NOW GO GO GO

Have fun fun fun fun.

I'm also asking for your assistance.
If you'd like to support Yaru, please like this post on Facebook: [link]

That is my entry for an app contest, and 20% of the overall rating required to win the contest is based on "fan following" in form of likes to that specific post. Loves and wows also welcome. But no hahas, saddies or angries please (and if you wanna be extra helpful you can even share that post on your facebook)

Last edited by ChaosFish; 2017-04-15 at 20:24.
Old 2017-04-16, 00:05
Zebrazilla

So far this is proving to be very addictive! Fantastic; great job!

LBA Speedruns
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% PC - Time: 01h 04m 23s
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% Android - Time: 01h 04m 35s
Old 2017-04-16, 19:47
weee

Thanks Homie, much delight to see you play Yaru!

I'll be happy to go on an online Yaru match sometime. (goes to everyone)
Old 2017-04-17, 01:07
Polly parrot

Updated, still does not work for me
Old 2017-04-17, 01:26
weee

You didn't send the bug report
Old 2017-04-17, 14:43
Polly parrot

But yes I did... Two times, once on the previous version and in this new one as well

I just have to hit the report button on the pop-up telling me the app has crashed, right ? (And hitting send in the next window, of course.)
Old 2017-04-17, 21:27
weee

Oh, that! Sorry, that might be a new thing Udi implemented, I don't get notified about submissions to that. It's probably fine though, I'll check with him if he receives reports sent using that pop-up. Thanks for the help, hopefully that crash will be fixed soon.
[edit]I checked and yes it's fine.[/edit]

Last edited by ChaosFish; 2017-04-18 at 08:22.
Old 2017-04-23, 11:48
weee

I got a question for you all: What do you think of the current website www.YaruGame.com - Is it enough to change the pictures to make it look more professional and fit more with the style of the app, or would it look better with a different more "modern" layout altogether?

In other words - do you think the current website layout is too 90's?