Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > LBA Projects > Twinsuniverse > Encyclopedia Twinsunica
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Encyclopedia Twinsunica The Encyclopedia Twinsunica is the older version of the Twinsuniverse, about the world of the LBA games.

Old 2012-09-12, 15:49
the legend

> WACKO < is a huge FAG

Now that I have your attention, can you please re-up the twinsunica?

If your server's dead, there are other members here willing to host it on theirs: contact alexfont or battler for example.

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2012-09-12, 21:41
the legend

*bump otherwise noone will see this thread on top*

PS Disclaimer: wacko is not a fag.

Last edited by SpaceGuitarist; 2012-09-13 at 04:48.
Old 2012-09-13, 14:35
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
You tried PMing him?
Old 2012-09-13, 16:01
the legend

All these kind of approaches have been tried before, with no success.
Old 2012-09-13, 22:58
Polly parrot

Then why do you think this one will work ?
Old 2012-09-14, 00:08
the legend

Because:

1. It is, at first sight, a public offense, so in case he's just casually browsing the forum (without being logged in) he'll end up seeing this as it'll immediatly strike his attention, having therefore greater impact than the usual *sobs sobs* endless unheard crying threads out there.

2. The same might occur with his friends in this forum, whom might then warn him (considering they have means of constant and direct contact with his person).

edit: As a last resource I might go to #lba and leave a message, but that's where reason number 2 might come in, with more effiency.

sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.

Last edited by SpaceGuitarist; 2012-09-14 at 00:52.
Old 2012-09-14, 00:54
Idyllic + whimsical

I'd tell him but I want you to make an effort and come to #lba.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2012-09-14, 01:00
the legend

Nah.
Old 2012-09-17, 11:38
Magic Level: Red Ball

IIRC, Wacko is unable to reach the server and related backups (he told that before on #lba, wonder why nobody posted it here). Happy now?
Old 2012-09-19, 20:17
the legend

YES, goddamnit, thanks.

At last a reply, after like, a whole year of people begging for it.

I hope he can figure out the problem someday eh?
And well, he knows he can count on the brainy people in MBN if he needs help, we cannot lose the twinsunica.
There's a bunch of people here who knows a lot about servers and stuff.

Old 2012-09-20, 20:52
Magic Level: Red Ball

Instead of whining about not getting the backups, you could've just started a new Twinsunica, with blackjack and hookers. LBA world is a small one, you can easily manage the whole thing by yourself.
Consequently, there is another question: why bother with all those wiki shenanigans? Even a child can figure out almost all possible aspects of both games in no time.
Old 2012-09-20, 23:08
Polly parrot

That's why those wiki should do more than only describe the game. It would be interesting to have a psychological analysis of the characters, their voice actors in the different languages and what else they've done, something about the making of, etc...
Old 2012-09-20, 23:38
the legend

Pff, right. I thought it was obvious, but here goes:

"Why not make a new wiki?" + "Why bother getting back the old wiki?" + "Why bother with wiki's at all?"

First, to value the effort of several members who heartily dedicated their time collecting all the info and writing dozens of articles.
Those people had a lot of time on their hands back then that we don't have now to do it all again.

Second, the LBA world is not really that small if you think of it, for example one thing useful was to get to know the name of one obscure characther from a particular place - surely not all of us have both LBA's installed with savegames at every damn point in case we wish to know what was the camel's name. There are nearly a hundred characthers in the game, dozens of locations and items, it's not small at all. Also, it served pretty well as a picture database.

Third, if LBA 3 is ever to be released, a new wave of fans will rise and much of them will seek to play LBAs 1 and 2 and in that occasion the wiki might be very useful / fun for them to further immerse themselves in the universe of the game. Even if LBA 3 won't ever be released, Gog.com's recent release + the expected LBA 1 remake are bringing new fans, and such a complete wiki is one way of us to show our support and interest to the developers and further strengthen the fan base.

Basically. The first reason being the most important.

Old 2012-09-21, 00:23
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
"First, to value the effort of several members who heartily dedicated their time collecting all the info and writing dozens of articles."

This line alone should make you think.
Old 2012-09-21, 15:41
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Instead of whining about not getting the backups, you could've just started a new Twinsunica, with blackjack and hookers. LBA world is a small one, you can easily manage the whole thing by yourself.
Consequently, there is another question: why bother with all those wiki shenanigans? Even a child can figure out almost all possible aspects of both games in no time.
Old 2012-09-24, 14:40
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
It would be interesting to have a psychological analysis of the characters
psychological analysis...yes..

anyway seeing how it's pretty obvious the twinsunica ain't coming back, all those reasons you gave don't really matter. no point crying over spilled milk.
if it's really that important just start a new one. it's not that big a project, i don't care what anyone here says.

all you'd have to do is round up some of the mbn weirdos. you know, all those guys who do those ridiculous LBA challenges. these people spend the better part of their lives searching for every bug or glitch imaginable in the games, they probably know the game backwards already and could make a pretty extensive wiki.
Old 2012-09-25, 04:50
the legend

*sigh*

You guys are pissed at me for theoretically calling wacko a fag or what? what made you all so thick all of a sudden?

It's obvious noone is even considering making a new wiki yet because until a few days ago we didn't even know what the heck was going on, and now you speak as if it is certain it won't ever be back and the problem has no solution at all.

Old 2012-09-25, 11:02
Party animal

try and understand, we at #lba have known what's going on for a long time, and we're telling you that it is indeed never coming back. hence, my recommendation to start a new wiki. i'm perfectly aware you haven't considered that until now, i'm just saying now would be a good time to start, so there's no need to be all pissy like a little girl.

Last edited by Reek; 2012-09-25 at 11:08.
Old 2012-09-27, 14:59
Magic Ball Master

It's back: http://twinsunica.waxo.nl/

Short summary:
  • Some of the tables in the mediawiki's database were completely empty after what I think was an upgrade of the MySQL database server version that went wrong. I contacted my hosting provider after this, but they had no clue what happened and had no backups.
  • I do not make my own regular backups of the database, putting too much trust in my hosting provider, apparently.
  • I wasn't sure if I had any backups, but I did find one previous backup that I knew was working at the time. It's fairly old: 30 Sept 2010. I used this backup when restoring Twinsunica and it is now being displayed on the site. I put the site in read-only mode for now, in case I can find a newer backup which would overwrite edits that are made now.
  • I had to upgrade the mediawiki installation to the latest version as my hosting provider upgraded to an incompatible version of PHP, but that was a good idea anyhow. I ran into some problems while upgrading though.

What now?

I understand if you no longer trust my capabilities and I'll cooperate fully in migrating elsewhere. Alexfont and others contacted me before about hosting the Twinsunica. Now that there's a working version, I'll be happy to give the files and database to someone who can reliably host the site (such as Alexfont).

I can also keep hosting the Twinsunica myself and keep it where it is. I will be sure to make daily backups and actively maintain the Twinsunica as far as mediawiki software and hosting is concerned. I will most likely not contribute or moderate, though.

I deeply apologize for being a crappy hoster and I realize having taken so long is disrespectful to all contributors. I hope you're happy to see the Twinsunica with most of its content back, though.

Do you think the database version is recent enough or should I see if any article data is salvageable from the broken database?
Are you merely eager to contribute again, so should I turn off read-only mode?
Do you want to move to another location first?
Old 2012-09-27, 15:25
Party animal

well don't i feel silly now
Old 2012-09-27, 15:42
Magic level: Ice Ball

Send a message via MSN to morshem
Didn't somebody already start a new wiki? I remember starting a thread about it a few months ago.

Anyway, as the one who wrote most of the articles there, I can affirm that most of them pretty much suck . I already suggested a few years ago re-creating the entire project, but never actually had time for that... (university, blah blah etc.).

[/my semi-anuual post]
Old 2012-09-27, 16:26
Magic Ball Master

Pretty good idea, you could well start a new wiki altogether and use the now restored Twinsunica as a read-only source for reference, or to copy/paste from if the quality of a particular article is considered good enough.

How about creating an LBA wiki on Wikia? For example, the Fallout Wikia is a great resource. Just noticed there already is one (see morshem's thread in this subforum).

Last edited by wacko; 2012-09-27 at 16:58. Reason: addendum about LBA wikia
Old 2012-09-27, 16:32
Zebrazilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko View Post
Ily

LBA Speedruns
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% PC - Time: 01h 04m 23s
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% Android - Time: 01h 04m 35s
Old 2012-09-27, 19:17
Magic Level: Purple Ball

Hi, I'm the one who made the wikia version after years of waiting for the Twinsunica to re-appear
The wikia project has plenty of info, articles and images. I think all that could be used to complete the Twinsunica, but I think it would be easier to do the other way round and use the info on the Twinsunica to complete the wikia if several people contribute to the work. The wikia has several design problems that could also be fixed with the help of all.
What do you think?
Old 2012-09-28, 18:41
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Why doesn't elmuerte simply put up a MBN LBA Wiki up on the MBN's hosting? That way it would be ensured to be up as long as the MBN itself is up.
It can be integrated into the forum - look at http://www.betaarchive.com and its wiki. I think we should do something like that.