Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2016-05-19, 00:06
Magic Level: Red Ball

Yes i want see the secret room !! It's mystérious !

Styx=> Thanks
Old 2016-05-19, 00:12
Panta rei

What is this talk of secret rooms? I've never heard of them!!

Don't we already know every scene possible in the games? I remember Elmuerte saying he knew every possible area of lba2 from analyzing the hqr files or something. (back in the day when we were debating the validity of the pipe trick)
Old 2016-05-19, 01:40
FreemanQC

Send a message via MSN to gravel22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
And what was that about secret rooms ? We haven't found any of those, did we ? I mean there's a room in LBArchitect labeled "unused room", but I always figured it to be a prototype of Twinsen's house (because it looks an awful lot like their bedroom).
No it's not that room. He said that we need to open the code, change a line, recompile and go to chapter 14. It'll be there. He said that there were some horrible stuff happening in this room. I ask him if it was with the grobo's bitch and he said way worse than that. Nice stuff after 19 years. We need someone on this case asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx View Post
What is this talk of secret rooms? I've never heard of them!!

Don't we already know every scene possible in the games? I remember Elmuerte saying he knew every possible area of lba2 from analyzing the hqr files or something. (back in the day when we were debating the validity of the pipe trick)
Pipe Trick has been found by Zebrazilla in LBA 1 IN 2015
Little Big Adventure Former World Record Holder (53:40:80) see on Twitch below

I'm a LBA speedrunner find me on and SPEEDRUN.COM subscribe to my twitch channel.
Old 2016-05-19, 02:07
Panta rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravel22 View Post
Pipe Trick has been found by Zebrazilla in LBA 1 IN 2015
Are we talking about the same pipe trick? The one I'm referring to was in lba2 and was literally a dream

EDIT: Haha yes we are definitely talking about different things

I'm referring to one of the biggest wtf moments in MBN history. Perpetrated by debatably master troll TYKA

Understandably you may not be aware of it, but, and I can't believe I'm digging this up, have a look here

Ever wondered why this emoticon is called what it's called?

Last edited by Styx; 2016-05-19 at 02:18.
Old 2016-05-19, 03:26
FreemanQC

Quote:
Are we talking about the same pipe trick? The one I'm referring to was in lba2 and was literally a dream

EDIT: Haha yes we are definitely talking about different things

I'm referring to one of the biggest wtf moments in MBN history. Perpetrated by debatably master troll TYKA

Understandably you may not be aware of it, but, and I can't believe I'm digging this up, have a look here

Ever wondered why this emoticon is called what it's called?
Yeah I know about this haha! But I never been able to see the 2002 post, thanks for that read Styx It's just funny LBA 1 have some kind of a pipe trick

I'm a LBA speedrunner find me on and SPEEDRUN.COM subscribe to my twitch channel.
Old 2016-05-19, 08:19
Zebrazilla

Haha. I chose to name this the Hamalayi Pipe Trick as a nod to the pipe trick mythos here on MBN

LBA Speedruns
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% PC - Time: 01h 04m 23s
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% Android - Time: 01h 04m 35s
Old 2016-05-19, 10:40
Polly parrot

TYKA was just a man ahead of its time
Old 2016-05-19, 10:46

haha
Old 2016-05-19, 11:23
Somewhere

Send a message via AIM to ellimac Send a message via MSN to ellimac Send a message via Yahoo to ellimac
So good to see that speedrun !! Brought so many memories back !
Kudos to you Freeman !

Also "ovni video-ludique" means an UFO of a videogame, an Unidentified Videogaming Object ^^

I'm desperate to see an LBA2 speedrun w/ commentary too.

LinX:
* vote for LBA here !!!
* find out what raynal said A LONG TIME ago here !!!
* get to listen to my midi version of LBA's Theme here !!! (or (the beginning of) my own LBA's Theme mp3 version??)
* See my 1st Franco parade drawing here !!! (and relentlessly encourage me to finish the 2nd one!)
* Wish me happy birthday more than 6 months late here !!!
Ok elli, let's just STOP here, ok???
Old 2016-05-19, 13:23
Panta rei

That's a very nice homage to the ancient MBN myth Homeless

I wasn't around back when TYKA announced the pipe trick, any veterans care to remember their reactions? EDIT: Morshem made a great pipetrick FAQ back in the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellimac View Post
Also "ovni video-ludique" means an UFO of a videogame, an Unidentified Videogaming Object ^^
Haha I would have never figured that out thanks for clarifying How did I do for the rest of the translation though? Been ages since I have practiced my french...

--->Ontopic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellimac View Post
I'm desperate to see an LBA2 speedrun w/ commentary too.
Good point. Freeman can you/would you be willing to contact fred & D for some feedback regarding what they thought of the overall event? If they enjoyed it we should ask them and DotEmu if they are willing to do another stream for the lba2 run in the future. (Maybe in 2 months or so?).

I would take advantage of the situation while it's still 'warm' (No double-entendres please)

Last edited by Styx; 2016-05-19 at 13:51.
Old 2016-05-19, 14:56
FreemanQC

Quote:
Good point. Freeman can you/would you be willing to contact fred & D for some feedback regarding what they thought of the overall event? If they enjoyed it we should ask them and DotEmu if they are willing to do another stream for the lba2 run in the future. (Maybe in 2 months or so?).

I would take advantage of the situation while it's still 'warm' (No double-entendres please)
I'll be on this next Monday, so much demand. I guess it'll be a great thing also. Next run we will have a time sheet of the game chapters. So Fred and Didier could understand what speedrunners skip. It was the main problem of the video Tuesday.

Old 2016-05-19, 16:29

Send a message via ICQ to ras maxim
This level of graphic detail is OK for me http://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=2952
Fred doesn't have ti be a perfectionist.

Old 2016-05-19, 22:12
Panta rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by ras maxim View Post
This level of graphic detail is OK for me http://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=2952
Fred doesn't have ti be a perfectionist.

Is that game free to play?
Old 2016-05-20, 10:33
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

I re-watched the stream and have a clearer idea about what Fred and Didier said about crowdfunding and the LBA sales on GOG and Mobile.
Sales are good but not so great (a few people buy the game everyday). It doesn't seem to demonstrate a gigantic community and Didier looks a little bit disappointed (he struggled to find his words but I guess his point was to say that sales weren't good enough to rely on that existing community to finance the game).

Fred said that they ran the numbers based on their experience of crowdfunding, and he thinks we wouldn't be able to make more than 1 million (euros? He didn't say), and that didn't seem to be enough either.

I have absolutely no clue about how expensive is a video game of that size to make, but I work in the IT field. 1M€ roughly is a budget for a 10-15 employees company for 1 year. Definitely not what Fred expects from the team that'd work on LBA3.
Old 2016-05-20, 11:28
Zebrazilla

Quote:

Is that game free to play?
If it wasn't clear, Fred actually made that PICO-8 is really neat. It's free to play the games created with it, only PICO-8 itself comes at a cost currently - that's only if you want to create things using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliian View Post
I re-watched the stream and have a clearer idea about what Fred and Didier said about crowdfunding and the LBA sales on GOG and Mobile.
Sales are good but not so great (a few people buy the game everyday). It doesn't seem to demonstrate a gigantic community and Didier looks a little bit disappointed (he struggled to find his words but I guess his point was to say that sales weren't good enough to rely on that existing community to finance the game).

Fred said that they ran the numbers based on their experience of crowdfunding, and he thinks we wouldn't be able to make more than 1 million (euros? He didn't say), and that didn't seem to be enough either.

I have absolutely no clue about how expensive is a video game of that size to make, but I work in the IT field. 1M€ roughly is a budget for a 10-15 employees company for 1 year. Definitely not what Fred expects from the team that'd work on LBA3.
Thank you for the further analysis and deciphering. I wish took the French lessons in school more seriously when these things happen, I have no idea what they said, so I find it very valuable to read further analysis of what they said!

LBA Speedruns
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% PC - Time: 01h 04m 23s
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% Android - Time: 01h 04m 35s
Old 2016-05-20, 21:59
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Hello ! I come here to thank you Freeman !

I almost never come because I 'm not very good in English but this time i wanted to say thank you , it was a great time in your company + Didier and Fred ! This idea of ​​LBA 3 and Tomb Raider and the Temple of Osiris is very good! Personally , i we say "LBA3" I want two things: open world + 3D iso and for the rest I trust in the dev team !

Sorry for this horrible english...
Old 2016-05-20, 22:49
Somewhere

Send a message via AIM to ellimac Send a message via MSN to ellimac Send a message via Yahoo to ellimac
Quote:
How did I do for the rest of the translation though? Been ages since I have practiced my french...
Perfect

Hé les Français qui se disent qu'ils ne participent pas beaucoup parce que leur anglais est pourri...c'est sur MBN que j'ai appris à parler anglais moi !! Y'a... 13 ans !!! Argh !

LinX:
* vote for LBA here !!!
* find out what raynal said A LONG TIME ago here !!!
* get to listen to my midi version of LBA's Theme here !!! (or (the beginning of) my own LBA's Theme mp3 version??)
* See my 1st Franco parade drawing here !!! (and relentlessly encourage me to finish the 2nd one!)
* Wish me happy birthday more than 6 months late here !!!
Ok elli, let's just STOP here, ok???
Old 2016-05-20, 23:59
Panta rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golgoïd View Post
Sorry for this horrible english...
Man, just like ellimac said, the more you post the better you will get.

And anyways there a lots of people who speak french here so even in case you don't know a certain word people will always help you out. You should check the first posts of some of our veteran non-native speakers and see how much they have improved over the years!

And thanks a lot for your feedback ellimac
Old 2016-05-21, 19:14
Neko

Would 1 million be enough for a smaller isometric lba3?

If it is a succes lba4 can be the big game with big budget
Old 2016-05-21, 19:46
Panta rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post

This reminds me of when someone on this forum asked what would happen after the wait for lba3 was over.

"The wait for lba4"

Made me chuckle
Old 2016-05-21, 22:02
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
I dont think going Isometrix will save that much money. But I could be wrong.

Id be interested if they could do a sort of modular, episodic LBA though.
Its hard to break that sort of game down into episodes, but maybe each episode is a Island, and as new islands are unlocked previous ones can be re-visited? Not sure I have ever seen a game released that way though.
Normally episodic games are strictly linear.
Old 2016-05-21, 22:48
Panta rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Id be interested if they could do a sort of modular, episodic LBA though
Uuuh I don't know about that. Feels like dangerous territory, especially if the main objective is to retain the original lba atmosphere.

I also think that with an episode style the game would lose its open-worldedness... Imagine if in lba2 you couldn't go to the francos island before completing otringal. Part of the immersive experience of lba is precisely the fact that you feel 'free' when you are trying to solve a puzzle, since you can go to all the islands even when the next clue is on a specific one. I don't think you can capture that 'exploration' experience with a modular game.
Old 2016-05-22, 01:05
Polly parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post

These plans !
Old 2016-05-22, 07:55
~

Quote:
I don't think you can capture that 'exploration' experience with a modular game.
Exactly.
But I have to admit that I generally don't like episodic games, so perhaps I'm not really objective.
Old 2016-05-22, 11:17
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
These plans !
I think this is a good idea actually. If they can make a smaller lba3, why not...

bring on lba 4 dammit!