Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2009-08-06, 14:29
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
Outlook Express is still there and it's irremovable, it's just renamed to "Windows Mail". And Windows Movie Maker is renamed to Windows DVD Maker.
No, Windows Mail is only in Vista and 7 doesn't have an e-mail client. Instead, there's Windows Live Mail available separately. Also, Windows Movie Maker =/= Windows DVD Maker. Movie Maker was renamed to Windows Live Movie Maker and it's not included.
Old 2009-08-15, 23:23
LBA2 Maestro

You can simply download the finest browser although it isn't included at Windows 7.
Old 2009-08-16, 13:55
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Yes, but unless most people start using !IE browsers, that dosnt help webdevelopers
Old 2009-08-29, 05:31
Do the evolution.

http://windows7sins.org/
Old 2009-08-29, 11:33
!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasiek View Post
I may be too optimistic, but I think free software will win eventually and companies like Microsoft will go down. I just hope it won't take too long.
Old 2009-08-29, 11:40
Master of Science & Magic

But first, more and more will realize what Microsoft actually is, and in order to escape they fall for the even larger trap called Apple.
If religion has thought us anything, it is that people like to be controlled.
Old 2009-08-29, 11:46
!!!!!

If recent history thought us anything, it's that people are getting increasingly smarter and less ignorant. 200 years ago, how many people would be even capable of saying "if religion has thought us anything, it is that people like to be controlled"?
Old 2009-08-29, 12:21
Master of Science & Magic

When population grows the absolute number of smart people also grows, but the percentage hasn't shifted much or even at all.
Also, now days people don't get killed (instantly) when they oppose the controller(s).
Old 2009-08-29, 12:31
Do the evolution.

Well because recent history has thought the "controllers" that killing people validates their point, hence ridicule or even acting like they don't exist works better.
Old 2009-08-29, 12:56
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
People dont need to be smart to leave microsoft.
I mean, I would gather google is so popular because they are quick,easy and give good results. The fact Google is pushing open standards and protocols is a beneficial side effect that typical users probably arnt aware off.

I think the same will happen with OS's people wont ever leave microsoft due to ideological differences, they will leave when open-source stuff starts to look so much better its hard to ignore.
Old 2009-08-29, 13:09
Do the evolution.

I've been trying out dozens of games lately on Ubuntu, some pretty obscure or really old. It all works. I guess there's still work to be done, but I guess that when Ubuntu reaches version 10 or 11 and wine version 2.0 it will be impossible to ignore.
Old 2009-08-29, 13:22
Classic

Yes, its certainly reaching a threshold.
Theres some stupidities still occasionally, mostly to do with the security measures. Its not intuitive at all what the passwords are when you first put Ubuntu on, for example.
Also, imho, normal users shouldn't have security thrust upon them. Some of us just dont care if our computer doesn't have passwords and can install whatever we want from the word go.
Its all right having options, defaults, and what not. But to start to overtake windows people shouldnt have to use Terminal at all.

Of course, in other areas, Ubuntus already vastly easier then windows. Installing/uninstalling stuff from the repository is lightyears ahead of windows. A significant "marketing point" for Ubuntu/Linux really.
Old 2009-08-29, 14:07
Do the evolution.

Well, you really don't have to use the terminal - at all. You can open folders as root, and change shit in them if you want, you can also ad repo's and such using a gui. And when the rare ocasion happens you actually have to use it, you'll be given a precise set of commands to put in

At first, I thought "using the terminal?! BAH! HUMBUG!". Now I've come to appreciate it. Because the fact remains using the terminal is not a necessity, you can use the system without problems without it, it's an additional tool that windows lacks. It's an illusion that you have to use it so often when normally using the os. It's just that whenever you break something, it's easier and faster to use this additional tool. Without which you'd (like when using windows) either take a very long time to fix what you broke, or you'd be left with no alternative but to reinstall the os.
Old 2009-10-28, 11:13
!!!!!

Windows 7 may be faster, but the user interface is more horrible than ever. Personally bad UI isn't a reason for me not to use it, but seriously...
Microsoft removed "technical" information from the status bar - Thread and replies from Microsoft are hilariously sad. They're so thick they don't even understand (or pretend not to understand) what people are asking them about. That means no more file size of selected items unless you want to use the fancy "details pane" which sucks.
Old 2009-10-28, 12:04
Do the evolution.

Wow, that's so stupid...
Old 2009-10-28, 14:39
Classic

Its mind-blowingly so, but just an extension of the thinking microsoft has had for a long time. "Users want to see less on screen, but in a more pretty way".

In other stupid news though, I see the "IE Bailout" screen isnt in europian versions of Windows7 yet >_<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasiek View Post
Well, you really don't have to use the terminal - at all. You can open folders as root, and change shit in them if you want, you can also ad repo's and such using a gui. And when the rare ocasion happens you actually have to use it, you'll be given a precise set of commands to put in

At first, I thought "using the terminal?! BAH! HUMBUG!". Now I've come to appreciate it. Because the fact remains using the terminal is not a necessity, you can use the system without problems without it, it's an additional tool that windows lacks. It's an illusion that you have to use it so often when normally using the os. It's just that whenever you break something, it's easier and faster to use this additional tool. Without which you'd (like when using windows) either take a very long time to fix what you broke, or you'd be left with no alternative but to reinstall the os.
Well, in that case the GUI isnt clear enough.
I had to use terminal to do many things that Id count as quite basic (formating something, changing the default boot, mounting an ISO image as a disc, and even installing some hard drive software).
I searched and searched but found no option but to use terminal, either to get the permissions needed or in some cases to be able to do the task itself.

Maybe its improved in 9.
I think my core problem was just the lack of a clear default password.
For a typical user being asked for a password you never once entered during set up is confusing. Having to then "enable" the admin/root user using terminal is just not intuitive at all.
Old 2009-10-28, 14:53
!!!!!

I'm now upgrading to the release candidate of the new Ubuntu 9.10. I've kinda grown tired of Windows again.

Maybe I'll see if I can just run everything in Wine and finally ditch Windows...

Btw, the new Linux file system (EXT4) is really fast.
Old 2009-10-28, 15:48
Do the evolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Well, in that case the GUI isnt clear enough.
I had to use terminal to do many things that Id count as quite basic (formating something, changing the default boot, mounting an ISO image as a disc, and even installing some hard drive software).
I searched and searched but found no option but to use terminal, either to get the permissions needed or in some cases to be able to do the task itself.

Maybe its improved in 9.
I think my core problem was just the lack of a clear default password.
For a typical user being asked for a password you never once entered during set up is confusing. Having to then "enable" the admin/root user using terminal is just not intuitive at all.
It's all there since 7 at least.
For formatting there's gParted which is a standard in Ubuntu. If it's not there then sudo apt-get install gparted (or install it from synaptic or the add/remove apps thingie - more user friendly[simple]).

To mount an iso image just go to synaptic or Add/remove programs and search for some iso mounting program, there's loads of them (again, this step is easier then in windows, because there is no internet browsing involved, just choosing from a list of apps).

The last time I've seen that "enter password" prompt without entering it during install was with some old red hat linux or mandrake. Now you need to specify the administrator password when installing the OS. You will be then prompted to enter that password whenever doing administrative actions and logging in. There's also a keyring app that remembers it in many instances, so that you only need to enter it once. However, when installing apps, formatting drives etc. you still need to use it.

Nowadays, you can right click a folder and choose "open as administrator" you can then change system files. In console, you only write sudo in front of each command. You'll be prompted for the password once for every "session" with the terminal. If the option is not nder the right click menu, then either open a terminal and write in sudo apt-get install nautilus-gksu OR open synaptic under Administration and find it there.

Most of the time, you don't need to use it.

I don't know what do you mean by changing the default boot. Autostarting programs? Or changing the boot options or their hierarchy? There's a file you can edit with gedit to change that (which is essentially what you do under windows too). Autostarting apps is under preferences.

Logging in as root is not advisable, because then every virus you might have has full (like in windows...) access to your system files. As long as you use the system from your user account, and use your password for administrative tasks, unless you have a keylogger installed in there there's now way for a virus to screw with anything more then what your home partitions contains. The system will remain unaffected.

Chaos, be sure to find and download winetricks. And then run wine apps in the termianl to see what they need. Once you install all the stuff like visual basic, directx, core fonts and shit like that you should be set.

Last edited by Jasiek; 2009-10-28 at 16:06.
Old 2010-02-18, 01:47
Do the evolution.

http://microsoftontheissues.com/cs/b...in-europe.aspx

So, did anyone buy the dreadfull thing and can confirm that the "ballot screen" is actually there?
Old 2010-02-18, 01:55
Classic

Dunno, Windows7 apperently removed windows features like being able to arrange icons your self, which shocked me into not careing at all :P
Old 2010-02-18, 02:20
Do the evolution.

They did what?

Oh wow, the stupidity.
Old 2010-02-18, 02:22
!!!!!

I'm using Windows 7 (sure didn't buy it though), but I'm not using the "n" or whatever edition that's sold in Europe. So no ballot screen.

You can still arrange Desktop icons yourself. I just check and you really can't arrange icons in the Explorer windows yourself, but why would you want to do that anyway? But yeah now you have to use the "details pane" because even though there is a status bar, it won't give you any information anymore other than how many files are selected. (why remove information from the status bar?!)

And in my installation at least, Explorer.EXE crashes all the time. And if a program is using Explorer (i.e. to select files to save or open) that program crashes too.

Other than that everything is peachy.

Tags
balmereatdirt, european union, firefox, iexplore, micro$hit, microcrap, opera, whiny, win, windows