Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > News

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

News Discuss the news posted on the MBN here

Old 2011-10-13, 14:42
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobold View Post
I'm pretty sure Didier Chanfrey had a part to do with it though, and he's listed as the "company" for the game right?
He apparently created a company named "Didier Chanfray SARL" to acquire the rights.
Old 2011-10-13, 14:44
Magic Ball Master

SARL is just a French term for a company form, like "Ltd." and "Inc."
Old 2011-10-13, 14:44
!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Not if that publisher is responsible for many years of enjoyment far outseeding the price you originaly paid for the game.
By "publisher" I was referring to gog.com
And sorry to say, but I don't want Didier to sell this either. If I made it, and got no money for it, then it's free. LBA wasn't *that* good. You should be careful of getting too religious about stuff...
Old 2011-10-13, 14:48
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Quote:
SARL is just a French term for a company form, like "Ltd." and "Inc."
Yeah, I know, I only wanted to point out that there's a real company with this name. (source)
Old 2011-10-13, 15:17
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
By "publisher" I was referring to gog.com
And sorry to say, but I don't want Didier to sell this either. If I made it, and got no money for it, then it's free. LBA wasn't *that* good. You should be careful of getting too religious about stuff...
Not religious, just logical. If I get a few hundred hours enjoyment from something, its worth more then if I get, say, 10.

Then you gota factor in the extra time spent making it work on modern Pc's via LBAWin, which Sébastien Viannay did for free too. (thats probably worth more then a translations worth of effort, he didnt do it for personal gain, he did it for us)

GoG, meanwhile, while deserving vastly less, still is responsible for making the game avaliable to a new audience - both advertising, fixing, hosting, and dealing with the buracracy craft side of things. Complaints about the music they dealt with very quickly - meaning they had someone monitoring forums and ready to alter the downloads. All take effort and thus deserve some compansation for. (not to mention the money helps go to support new release's)

Your of course free to not want any contributions you made to be used for anything you like. Thats your right as a creator.

But it strikes me as being rather chilidish to say you don't want any translations (which are freely avaliable elsewhere) to be put with a game being officialy sold by the games creators.

Your not going to get money in either case, but at least with the translations on GoG it makes it easy for more people to enjoy LBA if it isnt in their native toung - and that benifits us as it increase's sales and gives us more chance to see more games by the Adeline team.

I am of course happy for my Swede (which also took months of effort) to be included with anything. I dont think its wrothy - but as long as they didn't demand an "exclusive" rights to be the only place to download it, Id be happy for it as an extra.
Old 2011-10-13, 19:24
Do the evolution.

He could get a free copy for the translation.
Old 2011-10-13, 19:45
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
or that.
Old 2011-10-13, 21:22
Magic Ball Master

We should update the troubleshooting guide. In the part where we mention we don't support illegally downloaded copies, we could add a link to GOG. Also, the links to the LBA Win website are broken, it doesn't seem to be registered anymore.
Old 2011-10-13, 21:27
Classic

We should update that indeed.
Monitering the GoG forums for GoG-specific problems.

LBA2 is coming soon too, so we probably have updates for that one to add too.

so much to do!
Old 2011-10-13, 21:29
Magic Ball Master

Only moderators CAN fix up the troubleshooting guide, so by "we" is did mean "you".

If they run LBA 2 with the Dosbox, they'll probably have less problems (no car bug, sound bug, etc. which are caused by FunnyFrog's patch). But I hope they get the music right.
Old 2011-10-13, 21:31
!!!!!

Darkf - I think I've been misunderstood. I meant I'm not fine with it being sold. I'm ok with it being provided for free. That is, as long as they not say "if you buy LBA, you'll get a bonus translation" to help them with their sales, but rather "we included a collection of fan made translations". Maybe it sounds childish, but it's little details like that that sometimes make all the difference.
Old 2011-10-13, 21:41
Magic level: Ice Ball

Send a message via MSN to morshem
Quote:
We should update the troubleshooting guide. In the part where we mention we don't support illegally downloaded copies, we could add a link to GOG. Also, the links to the LBA Win website are broken, it doesn't seem to be registered anymore.
Done (hope I got it right ).

On the same time I updated this post. Judging by the last line there, I guess everyone forgot that this post even exists .
Old 2011-10-13, 21:47
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by morshem View Post
Done (hope I got it right ).

On the same time I updated this post. Judging by the last line there, I guess everyone forgot that this post even exists .
Lolo- remove the GameTz links, they are broken. Also, Holy Crap - LBA 2 for $100.
Old 2011-10-13, 21:54
Classic

Quote:
Only moderators CAN fix up the troubleshooting guide, so by "we" is did mean "you".
Yeah, I know.
Was hoping Wacko to show up first :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
Darkf - I think I've been misunderstood. I meant I'm not fine with it being sold. I'm ok with it being provided for free. That is, as long as they not say "if you buy LBA, you'll get a bonus translation" to help them with their sales, but rather "we included a collection of fan made translations". Maybe it sounds childish, but it's little details like that that sometimes make all the difference.
Fair enough.
I certainly wouldn't consider the translations bonus content - if you need them to understand the game they are pretty essential
Old 2011-10-14, 16:01
Magic Level: Green Ball

I bought it. It does not matter that my internet connection is too poor to download it...
Old 2011-10-15, 22:07
Magic Level: Red Ball

How to install LBAWIN for the version of LBA(GOG) ? ( to avoid being hurt by bumping on the walls )
Old 2011-10-18, 13:28
Fruto di tutti frutti

In the old thread (of April Fool's joke) I found two very interesting posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightwing View Post
Are System Shock and Planescape on the GOG yet? Because if they're not, a game like LBA won't be for sure.
Planescape already is on GOG, but System Shock is still not!

Quote:
yeah, me too.
If GOG did decide to sale it one day though, I think as a forum we should club together and give them some extra materials as bonus items for people downloading. (GOG normaly supplys Wallpapers and Music with games bought, we could give them all sorts of other things too :P)
Unfortunetely, they did not ask .
Old 2011-10-18, 14:56
Classic

True, but I think any owners of creative content here should purhapes post on the GoG board some sort of "official permission granted" so that GoG knows they can use it in future if they want.
Old 2011-10-18, 17:53
You Only Live Twice

Send a message via AIM to Twinsan Send a message via MSN to Twinsan
I have 2 mint condition LBA1's (ps1 and pc) and near mint LBA2, but i am definitely getting this lil beauty.
Old 2011-10-19, 08:50
Hello

Little bit delayed in typing this now, just wanna say whoop to all of this, it's a step in the right direction for LBA
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
  cout<<"Regards,\nDino-Fly\n";
 cin.get();
}
Old 2011-10-22, 09:32
Fruto di tutti frutti

Quote:
True, but I think any owners of creative content here should purhapes post on the GoG board some sort of "official permission granted" so that GoG knows they can use it in future if they want.
I would happily do that, but my Polish translation (9 years old!) is quite bad, as were my English skills that time .

I don't think they would include these anyway. It seems that the game has not been modified for the release, so adding the translations would require some additional work (switching/modifying HQR files).

Does anyone have a problem with the included DOSBox configurator (Graphic mode setup)? When I want to save my changes it says that the game is not installed (?). May that is because I did not installed it in the default directory.
Old 2011-10-22, 12:28
Do the evolution.

I had that when installing under wine on Ubuntu...

Just change all your settings in the dosbox.conf file.
Old 2011-10-22, 12:40
Neko

I just bought the two games, wanna get beyong good and evil next. never played it....
Old 2011-10-22, 13:01
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
I just bought the two games, wanna get beyong good and evil next. never played it....
u don't know what ur missing then and I gotta thank Jasiek for that
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2011-10-22, 13:08
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
it's discounted till this week end... I'd buy it asap It's the best game you MBN guys ever suggested me :P