Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2011-10-28, 16:43
Magic Level: Fire Ball

GOG.com Q&A

http://www.gog.com/en/news/ask_devel...venture_series

GOG.com is organizing a Q&A event with three major people behind the LBA series: Frédérick Raynal, Didier Chanfray and Sébastien Viannay. The 5 most interesting questions will be chosen and sent to the developers, so this time we can expect a little bit longer answers than usual.

Questions can be asked here. The deadline is Friday, November 4 3:59 AM UTC. What do you think we should ask? I thought that we, as the largest LBA community should let the GOG.com staff know not to send any questions that were already answered (and the answer we have is up-to-date). Or should we leave this opportunity to other fans?

Last edited by Renesans; 2011-10-28 at 16:51.
Old 2011-10-28, 16:49
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
It's hard. We asked so many questions to Frederick over the years ...
Old 2011-10-28, 17:15
Magic level: Ice Ball

Send a message via MSN to morshem
Looking nice, although personally I don't have anything to ask them.
Old 2011-10-28, 20:06
You what?!

Axx is probably the best person for this (in terms of knowing what has already been asked) but I doubt he can be bothered to list them all. It is a good point to try to ask new things but we've probably covered almost everything over the years!
Old 2011-10-28, 20:06
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Maybe;
* What is that funny hand gesture your doing in one of the developer photos ?
:P

Its true we dont have much left to ask, but its really cool GOG does this thing. Far better then the normal "slap the game up and take the cash" system of most.

oh, I guess one thing that could be asked would be about the music rights. I heard on the GoG forums they wanted to put the LBA soundtracks up seperate as bonus content but there was rights issues.
Old 2011-10-28, 20:11

I actually really hope that the thing they're answering together means they're working on something together. Preferrably something related to LBA. Maybe that iPad port Didier was referring to?
Old 2011-10-28, 20:13
You what?!

How about something about what their next project will be if any, and now the rights to LBA have changed do they have any plans to release anything else in this series?
Old 2011-10-29, 01:41
Magic Ball Master

A lot of interesting questions out there. Its sad they will only pick 5.
Lets see if I can came with something...

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2011-10-29, 12:45
Do the evolution.

I always wanted to know if Fred, or any of them is aware of the fan projects we made (fan games and mods) and what does he think about the bigger ones.
Old 2011-10-29, 13:23
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Pretty sure they know of a lot of them, and I know they have seen the Swede (they PM'd me about it once)
Old 2011-10-29, 17:01

This question was asked in the 2006 interview, and Fred's answer wasn't very interesting:
"I downloaded almost all tools fans made around LBA, but I don't remember games, I need to know more about that."
Old 2011-10-29, 17:44
strange dreamer

"Where do you cut your hair?"

Ok seriously, I have one question but I'm not sure it is that important... here goes:

"Given the majority of the LBA fans are now adults, and perhaps only a few teenagers or kids would know the series prior to the release of LBA3, will LBA3 be directed towards a more mature audience or for children? ofcourse, keeping in mind that either way both would keep the original spirit?"

Whichever answer they give, I'm sure it's a really tough decision.
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual

Last edited by SpaceGuitarist; 2011-10-29 at 17:59.
Old 2011-10-30, 12:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasiek View Post
I always wanted to know if Fred, or any of them is aware of the fan projects we made (fan games and mods) and what does he think about the bigger ones.
I remember Fred commenting about the Prequel project (I think) and saying that if the story didn't feel out of place in the LBA universe they would have considered making it canon. (do not take my words for granted, but I distinctly remember reading something like that)
Old 2011-10-31, 19:46
Polly parrot

I like your question SpaceGuitarist.
Old 2011-10-31, 21:02
Magic Level: Red Ball

Send a message via MSN to takashi_maze
I'd like to know if they have any ideas for the gameplay style in the 21st century :P.

Don't hurt me for saying this, but the clunky controls of the past wouldn't hold up well in a modern adventure game and to be fair they weren't that great back then either.
Z-targetting anyone? xD
Old 2011-10-31, 21:18
Classic

Remember back then PC's where a lot slower, and few people had analogue based controll devices. LBA's controlls made perfect sense for the time.
Old 2011-11-01, 15:12
strange dreamer

Thanks Polaris! I've posted it in there. Wish me luck !

I think LBA's controls are perfect. Really, there wouldn't be one little thing I'd change in it.
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Old 2011-11-01, 16:36

Really? Do you think that those 4 modes are still relevant to games today?
Old 2011-11-01, 16:55
Classic

Well, its not like they have been replaced. Hardly any games use subtly of controll.

These days you could map the ball motion to an analogue control of some sort (even motion controller or a trigger) to let you controll the arc without needing a "mode".

You could likewise use analogue sticks for "tip toeing" to emulate stealth movement.

However, the idea of what (lets say) emotional state you are in could still be quite usefull when dealing with NCP dialogues. Rather then one fixed or random response like most games have, you can have different dialogues depending what mode you pick.
Old 2011-11-01, 19:07
strange dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by morshem View Post
Really? Do you think that those 4 modes are still relevant to games today?
Maybe not relevant, but surely were a nice "human" touch. Once you get used to the idea it becomes intuitive, and that's what controls should be all about.
Quote:
Old 2011-11-08, 15:52

YAY! My question got chosen! Now I guess we'll have to wait a little bit...
Old 2011-11-08, 18:12

Where can you see the chosen ones?
Old 2011-11-08, 18:49

They've posted it in the thread for the news article.
Old 2011-11-09, 15:46
strange dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by morshem View Post
Where can you see the chosen ones?
Only Sendell knows.

On a serious note, I've got quite dissapointed with the questions they've picked.

No offense, Renesans, I don't know particularly what your question was, but imho none of the subjects they've chosen to ask are really relevant/interesting for today's world.
With all my modesty, my LBA3 related question was far more useful. Oh well, maybe they didn't want to ask anything LBA3 related...
Quote:
Old 2011-11-10, 12:40
Previously Link

Yeah, a little disappointing. I wish they asked the question about releasing the source code, and other questions related to the fan community.
All the questions chosen seem focused on very specific gameplay aspects.