Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2012-03-02, 10:13
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
batbarf

Oh Batbarf, I don't have enough Zlitos.
LBA2 (#1712)

umm...what??
This is work of higher intelligences, who take other, esoteric and psychological sciences into account than we are normally used to even consider, numerology being one of them, because everything for them is ritualistic and everything is meant for a deep programming of our psychological state. One day witchcraft and science will collide.
Old 2012-03-02, 11:07
Magic Level: Green Ball

I honestly don't remember ever hearing this, just "Uh oh, I don't have enough Zlitos"; but really, Twinsen does say this on Francos! Google has only a small number of results on batbarf or "bat barf", I wonder if it is a word that originated within LBA2?
Old 2012-03-02, 15:15
Magic Level: Fire Ball

What?
Is that an unused line of dialogue? :P
Old 2012-03-02, 20:29

No, Twinsen does say that if you try to buy something in Francos village and don't have enough Zlitos...

Anyway, what is the French version of that line and does it sound more reasonable?
Old 2012-03-03, 10:25
Party animal

if you try to buy what exactly? I WANT PROOF
This is work of higher intelligences, who take other, esoteric and psychological sciences into account than we are normally used to even consider, numerology being one of them, because everything for them is ritualistic and everything is meant for a deep programming of our psychological state. One day witchcraft and science will collide.
Old 2012-03-03, 12:04
Polly parrot

Who is Batbarf ?
I play the french version, but I don't remember any Batbarf...
Old 2012-03-03, 12:41
Party animal

batbaf just means "bat vomit".
but i don't remember him saying it, nor does it sound likely.
however it is in the quotes database.
hence, the mystery.
Old 2012-03-03, 14:54

Anakin: Lol, get your ass in the Francos village shop and try to buy the pick-ax or life points or magic points while having less than 20 Zlitos...

Polaris: Do what advised to Anakin in the French version of the game, and post here the French version of Twinsen's comment and its English translation by you...
Old 2012-03-05, 15:22

Try telling 'OK by me!' to the captain in the Otringal harbour without having 100 Zlitos. Twinsen will definitely say 'Batbarf'. My other favourite is 'Geez, I don't have enough Zlitos'. Although the 'geez' isn't mentioned in the written text, Twinsen DOES say that. There are other quotes like this. For example when Twinsen reads 'anyone helping bring this miscreant into custody will be rewarded the amount of 10,000 Zlitos' on the wanted poster, he'll add an 'uh-oh' after that.
Old 2012-03-05, 19:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasia View Post
I've checked that - whenever I wanted to buy something (having 0 Zlitos), there was no "Batbarf" mentioned in a response.
Hm, maybe there is a different response when you have 0 zlitos and when you have other non-zero less-than-20 amount of zlitos? Or could be lots of other things, none of them seeming particularly more plausible than others.

I may investigate this further later, and also post a screenshot of Twinsen saying batbarf. But if you chose to believe this is some kind of conspiracy, then of course you won't know if the screenshot is a fake

Ok, but now I'm at a computer that doesn't have LBA2 installed, I'll get back at this in a few days. Maybe it's already solved by then.
Old 2012-03-05, 21:09

Ok, so we have cleared out that the batbarf is not some (delibarately) misunderstood translation from French

edit: uhhh, the other languages? Someone?
Old 2012-03-05, 21:35

I think those weren't mistakes as much as unnecessary, cheesy liberties taken by translators and/or voice actors :P like Twinsen yelling "I'm gonna take you out, and I don't mean for pizza!" at Funfrock, which is exclusive to the english translation (it sure as heck isn't on the french or italian one!)
Old 2012-03-05, 21:45

Looks like I was wrong about 'batbarf'. Twinsen says that on the Island of the Francos. Anyway, here are the two 'I don't have enough Zlitos' voices from the game.
Attached Files
File Type: zip not_enough_zlitos.zip‎ (56.2 KB, 76 views)
Old 2012-03-05, 22:39
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by draugluin View Post
uhhh, the other languages? Someone?
Ich habe nich genug Zlitos. / No tengo suficientes zlitos. / Non ho abbastanza Zlitos.

Again, no Batbarf.
Old 2012-03-06, 00:21
!!!!!

Isn't there a green bat in LBA1's Temple of Bu that barfs on you? I have a vague memory of that...
Old 2012-03-06, 04:38

Chao i think you're thinking of the boss thingy in the island from across the hasienda ((yay spelling))
Old 2012-03-06, 09:03
Party animal

i want proof! proof i tell you!

edit:
btw chaosfish is right, there is a room in the temple of bu where something that looks like a miniature dinofly attacks you.
he looks exactly like the crow or whatever from traulau's cave except green.
not sure if he barfs on you though.
Old 2012-03-06, 19:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
I think those weren't mistakes as much as unnecessary, cheesy liberties taken by translators and/or voice actors :P like Twinsen yelling "I'm gonna take you out, and I don't mean for pizza!" at Funfrock, which is exclusive to the english translation (it sure as heck isn't on the french or italian one!)
That's really interesting, that was always one of my favorite lines, and only now I get to know it wasn't intended originally. But I always found it a bit unexpected xD
Old 2012-03-06, 20:00
Polly parrot

What ? Pizza ? When did he say that ? Not only the English voice-actor sounds horrible, but they even altered the text where they could !
Old 2012-03-06, 20:09
Magic Ball Master

In the conversation with FunFrock outside of the statue on Celebration Island, the part where Twinsen waves his armes upwards at FunFrock and says "You're horrible, I will not let you do this" or something to that extend. The English version says "I'm going to take you out, FunFrock, and I don't mean for pizza!"
Old 2012-03-06, 20:56
/ʤæmfɪʃ/

"Funfrock, you suck, big time! I'm gonna take you out and I don't mean for a pizza!"
We laughed uncontrollably at that, it just didn't seem to fit the tone of the rest of the game.
And gave it a name, so then it wasn't mine
Old 2012-03-06, 21:54
Polly parrot

From hat I heard in the sound file above, he acts horribly, like if he was reading a children's book. The fact that I already have the french voice registered as normal must not help either though.
Old 2012-03-06, 23:22
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
Didnìt like twinsen's voice that much either. For exemple the "could you help me heal my injuried dino-fly" line looks totally wrong, as Polaris says, it's like he's reading. But I love lba2's zoe...
And yes, the pizza quote is one of the most famous ones,yet totally out of place, and it's only in english. :P
Old 2012-03-07, 04:16
this's longer than allowe

"I'm gonna take you out and I don't mean for a pizza!" lol that's like a lame action movie joke, isn't it?
Old 2012-03-07, 11:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreGGy View Post
Didnìt like twinsen's voice that much either. For exemple the "could you help me heal my injuried dino-fly" line looks totally wrong, as Polaris says, it's like he's reading. But I love lba2's zoe...
And yes, the pizza quote is one of the most famous ones,yet totally out of place, and it's only in english. :P
French voices > all
It's just feels... wrong to me, to hear all the characters english voices
Even minor ones sound better in french. Take the Franco survivor selling souvenirs on Celebration for example, in the english version he sounds like Gollum for no reason, in the French one he sounds calm and somewhat bitter/sarcastic, like a man (er, sausage) who knows more than others because he experienced things on his own skin. It's just fitting!