Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > LBA Modifications > LBA Modifications - General

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 2013-05-13, 08:17
Fruto di tutti frutti

LBA File Info received a major refresh

I am happy to announce that LBA File Information website has been refreshed with the MediWiki engine.

It has been moved to a new address:

http://lbafileinfo.kazekr.net (mods please update the Quick Start thread).

The old site is still available as read-only.

Thanks to the MediaWiki, a whole new set of features could be implemented. The basic ones are the essential features of all wiki pages, like searching and commenting (discussion pages), but there are some, that provide a whole new experience, and these are:
  • Direct editing of articles is possible by anyone who wants to provide more information to the base, correct mistakes in existing info, or just fix spelling. Registration is NOT required.
  • Quality indicator for pages - is an add-on feature, that allows moderators to check the new information before it is made public, and rate it with one of three levels: Inaccurate, Sighted, and Accurate, which will affect the way the information is displayed.
  • Virtually any information may have its place - any technical information about LBA of course. I plan to extend the base to cover not only HQR files and their content, but also more in-depth areas, like scene scripting system.
  • Property system utilising the Semantic MediaWiki extension, which allows for automatic generation of various lists and references. For example: file format pages show list of programs that can be used to edit these formats, and program pages show lists of formats they support.
  • Images and media files (untested) can be uploaded and used in articles to extend the content.
  • And much more...

Currently all the information I could find in the previous FileInfo editions has been moved to the new site. If there is anything missing, you can easily add it, and correct mistakes, if there are. There are still some pages that need an attention, because they were just copied from another source and need some formatting. Feel free to take care of that, if you want to participate.

Now I have a question for you: is it better to index HQR entries starting with 0 or with 1 by default? With the new site you can change the way the entries are indexed with one click of the mouse, but what should be the default option? 1 is more natural, while 0 is more technical and programmer-friendly . Please share your opinion.

Also, I think we need a new logo picture. If you have graphical skills and want to help us, it will be great if you can make a fresh FileInfo logo.

Also feel free to comment and share your ideas.
Old 2013-05-13, 09:45
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zink View Post
  • Virtually any information may have its place - any technical information about LBA of course. I plan to extend the base to cover not only HQR files and their content, but also more in-depth areas, like scene scripting system.
I don't know the game, but what about Time Commando? I heard it uses HQR files as well.

Quote:
Now I have a question for you: is it better to index HQR entries starting with 0 or with 1 by default? With the new site you can change the way the entries are indexed with one click of the mouse, but what should be the default option? 1 is more natural, while 0 is more technical and programmer-friendly . Please share your opinion.
IIRC LBArchitect uses 1 for the first entry, while LBA Package Manager uses 0. Or maybe I'm confusing tools. We should get these modding tools to a common number first.

Last edited by Kobold; 2013-05-13 at 09:57.
Old 2013-05-13, 10:09
Fruto di tutti frutti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobold View Post
I don't know the game, but what about Time Commando? I heard it uses HQR files as well.
I'm not sure if it's a good idea to mix LBA and TC in a site dedicated to LBA. But... maybe yes. There are no technical reasons against it anyway, and the data structure is scalable (ready for LBA3 coming some day ), so it should not become a mess.

Quote:
IIRC LBArchitect uses 1 for the first entry, while LBA Package Manager uses 0. Or maybe I'm confusing tools. We should get these modding tools to a common number first.
Actually Package Editor uses 1, and Architect has this configurable. I will have to do something about it.
Old 2013-05-13, 10:18
Magic Ball Master

Then I think it was Battler's HQR program that used 0.
Old 2013-05-13, 11:05
Previously Link

Great initiative!
I'll add the info I gathered from the LBA2 island format when working on LBAOnline, if it's not already there.
Old 2013-05-13, 14:16
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Nice work!
Old 2013-05-13, 21:31
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Quote:
Then I think it was Battler's HQR program that used 0.
I indeed use a starting index of 0 in all my programs, as that's pretty much the standard in programming.
Old 2013-05-19, 17:30
Magic Ball Master

Its finally out, great work as always.
I think LBA Package Editor should also have the option to choose between 0 or 1. I confess I prefer 0 when coding, but 1 when seeing such lists. For me they are both useful.

@Link, that info isn't there.

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2013-05-19, 20:35
Magic Level: Fire Ball

I know it's not too important, but this error has always bugged me and it's also in LBArchitect:
The city on Principal Island is called Old Burg, not Lupin Burg.

The site is awesome though.
Old 2013-05-20, 07:13
Fruto di tutti frutti

So I see I will have to make both options, but I think zero will be better for a default value (as Battler said, that's pretty much standard).

Renesans, thanks for the update, I will check that.
Old 2013-05-20, 21:05
New efforts! :)

This is great! Thanks for your work!

I believe it should be 0 as standard but have an option to turn it into 1. I remember making a whole mess because two programs that I used to mod LBA started with different numbers and you can imagine what happened.

Take a look at the blog!

LBA:LID Demo v1.0 HERE
Report bugs here! Thanks Alexfont!
----------------------------------------
Take a look at Vindish's mod!
Old 2013-05-21, 07:01
Fruto di tutti frutti

Yes, I got a lot of mess about that issue too... with my own programs!
Old 2013-05-21, 08:46
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
For that matter, I still need to benchmark the various implementations of the two compression algorithms on my current PC (a Pentium Dual-Core E5700 3.0 GHz) and see what the performance times are.
Old 2013-06-11, 14:41
Welcome to Zirla!

http://lbafileinfo.kazekr.net/index....=LBA1:Text.hqr
The correct extensions are .ORD and .DIA, as evidenced by both the files included with the preview versions of LBA 1, and the information included with Japanese LBA 1.

http://lbafileinfo.kazekr.net/index....BA2:Screen.hqr
The correct extension is .RAW, as evidenced by Paint Shop Pro too. I don't really see the need for a .LIM extension as it's not an image format unique to the LBA games, but just simple raw image data.
Old 2013-06-13, 07:12
Fruto di tutti frutti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler View Post
http://lbafileinfo.kazekr.net/index....=LBA1:Text.hqr
The correct extensions are .ORD and .DIA, as evidenced by both the files included with the preview versions of LBA 1, and the information included with Japanese LBA 1.

http://lbafileinfo.kazekr.net/index....BA2:Screen.hqr
The correct extension is .RAW, as evidenced by Paint Shop Pro too. I don't really see the need for a .LIM extension as it's not an image format unique to the LBA games, but just simple raw image data.
The incorrect extensions are there because some (all?) programs still use them. It would cause a lot of confusion if the site mentioned different extensions that the programs use. You are free to explain in the format pages what the correct extensions are and why.
Old 2013-06-13, 20:26
Welcome to Zirla!

Well at least in my programs, I'm trying to make them use the correct extensions, where they're known.
But OK, I'll go there and explain it there.
Edit: And for the TEXT.HQR entries, we even know the file names, thanks to the info from the LBA 1 Previews, AND the LBA 1 executable file, and the .VOX file names:
EN_SYS.ORD
EN_SYS.DIA
EN_CRE.ORD
EN_CRE.DIA
EN_GAM.ORD
EN_GAM.DIA
EN_001.ORD
EN_001.DIA
etc., then FR, DE, IT, SP, and in LBA 2, also PT.