Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2013-06-22, 23:20
Polly parrot

I don't think a HD remake of LBA1 would sell well... Not different enough from the GoG version...
Old 2013-06-22, 23:22
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
I strongly disagree and think that remakes are a terrible, terrible, terrible idea.

Go for LBA 3, or don't go at all, is what I say.
I'm trying to be realistic here. I agree that LBA3 is a much better option and I actually prefer it to a remake. However, I don't think that currently the neccessary money is available to make a full-fledged LBA game. The option I suggested is not a real remake, only a graphical overhaul to the game (I imagine the graphics would be exactly the same, only a lot sharper). I think it's actually possible to make that with a low budget and can be used to get more people play LBA than a simple port with the old graphics, thus making LBA3 possible.

Besides, I don't think a this kind of remake can wrong. It's the same game after all, only that it looks better and it's much more appealing to modern audiences. I don't think of the situation as a "remake or LBA3" thing. It's more like "first the remake, then LBA3". If I'm not mistaken, Fred & co. are thinking the same way and their "roadmap" is something similar.
Old 2013-06-23, 00:26
Magic Level: Green Ball

Fact of the matter is that it's been 19 years since LBA1, and 16 since LBA2. The engine and graphics are outdated as hell, though the games themselves have value and potential. A hypothetical LBA made in 2014,15 or later should reflect it's time as far as graphics and engine goes. Do you think Starcraft 2 would have sold as much if it looked or felt as if it was made in '99? Well maybe, considering how many fans were waiting for it... But that's just it, we're not a million people..

LBA3 would look amazing, and out of place and sync with the rest of the trilogy. I'd say that the first and second games deserve that much respect. By making 1 and 2 look and feel more like games out there today, the whole series of games will have a chance to compete in todays market.

LBA the third is my wet dream, and in a world where a lot of my other wet dreams and becoming real (star wars ep 7-8-9, battlefront, monkey island) I've learned that is not just my ego that matters. These games were made to dazzle, impress and inspire young minds, and it already did years ago. Now it's time for the next generations to help their injured dinoflys and find their precious gazogem...

Last edited by Twinnie; 2013-06-23 at 08:35.
Old 2013-06-23, 02:38
Magic Ball Master

God Twinnie, please become a president. I would move to your country just to vote on you.
Or better, become the World President. You have too much talent for it.

Agreed with everything
Old 2013-06-23, 09:37

Well, I think remakes are kinda needed but at the same time I'm worried about their success and their impact on the possibility of LBA3 happening.
A few months ago I watched a let's play of LBA 1/2 by some guy who never played the series before. It was... nothing short of painful. He struggled so much with the controls and the game's logic that he made my inner child weep.
Now, this guy barely did any research or experimentation on how the game was improved in LBA2, he kept complaining about not being a "strafe button" and not being able to dodge enemy fire while there clearly is one and he never experimented with the protection spell after getting it, which made him hate dark monk's statue instead of it being a cakewalk.

So, on one hand you could say it's not the game developer's fault if people these days have the attention span of a peanut, but I still feel that stuff like this needs to be accounted for in some way in order to make as many people as possible enjoy this series.
Old 2013-06-23, 10:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Well, I think remakes are kinda needed but at the same time I'm worried about their success and their impact on the possibility of LBA3 happening.
A few months ago I watched a let's play of LBA 1/2 by some guy who never played the series before. It was... nothing short of painful. He struggled so much with the controls and the game's logic that he made my inner child weep.
Now, this guy barely did any research or experimentation on how the game was improved in LBA2, he kept complaining about not being a "strafe button" and not being able to dodge enemy fire while there clearly is one and he never experimented with the protection spell after getting it, which made him hate dark monk's statue instead of it being a cakewalk.

So, on one hand you could say it's not the game developer's fault if people these days have the attention span of a peanut, but I still feel that stuff like this needs to be accounted for in some way in order to make as many people as possible enjoy this series.
Exactly my point. All my friends that have tried LBA complain about the controls. Games and gamers have changed soo much over the years that LBA is too special for them.. It's the 'wasd'-generation, and that's not a bad thing, LBA just needs a chance to catch up. Renew itself.. Even Fred's kid struggled with the controls and that's how he got the idea for iOS/android port..
Old 2013-06-23, 10:26
Polly parrot

I must agree concerning the strafe button, there is no sign of such a thing being present... I only found it because when you leave the menu on for a bit of time, youu can see Twinsen dodging ennemy fire with it.

When you discover it it's funny though, like an easter egg
Old 2013-06-23, 10:42
Lemonhead

To be honest, so long as the general quirkiness and gameplay is upheld, I'd welcome an all-out remake... even if it means leaving behind the familiar visual style and/or maneuvering a few elements of the story to fit 'marketplace realities.' It seems far more likely than a direct, faithful sequel given the passage of time. But I guess we'll have to wait to see what Fred has up his sleeve.
The creatures arranged in a line and started to rape Twinsen in his anus, one by one.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ras maxim View Post
P.S. Forgot to mention that Twinsen's remains were fed to dogs.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ras maxim View Post
O.K., let's change the execution part. Maybe he was just beaten to death with clubs???
Old 2013-06-23, 18:05
Magic Ball Master

Guys please remember, when we are talking about remake we mean Better Graphics and Controls. Not diferent story or gameplay. This should be obvious by now, but I'm just saying it before someone gets the wrong idea.
Old 2013-06-23, 18:23

Yeah, different story especially doesn't make sense since it could be potentially called LBA3 then. Speaking of that, I think LBA3 should be playable as a standalone game as well a sequel.
Old 2013-06-23, 21:36
Banned

Thumbs Up

Quote:
I'd like to let you know that I ve been talking to Fred Raynal and he told me that we might have big news about LBA 3 before the end of the year!!
Yay!
Old 2013-06-23, 21:41
Polly parrot

My dear slowpoke <3
Old 2013-06-23, 22:17
Magic Ball Master

Old 2013-06-23, 22:27
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Growing up i preferred arrow keys to wasd because being right hand dominant it made moving much easier, and the camera controls remind me of resident evil 1 plus the enter button to realign it. For being an extremely old game the camera has almost never glitched out on me too.
Old 2013-06-23, 22:57
Polly parrot

It annoys me a bit in LBA2 though, I can't see properly what's in front of me without hitting enter every second.
Old 2013-06-23, 23:08
Magic Ball Master

Yea that's true... I must agree that controling the camera with the mouse is a much better option, but I still liked the enter key to update the camera angle =/
Old 2013-06-23, 23:44
Magic Ball GrandMaster

On that note, if you're an extremist, you could also place a little weight on your Enter key
...yeah, I know people who do that

Threads: News, Introduction, Discussion, Bugs collection || Content: Characters, Enemies, Items
Words come in all sizes. But even if they fit you,
they might not come at appropriate times.

Good for everyone is finding yourself first,
and then the good in others second.
Old 2013-06-24, 00:00
Polly parrot

But then the game game gets all choped-up...
Old 2013-06-24, 03:35
strange dreamer

Nowadays gamers are lame and unskilled, and I pity them for their limited, ridiculous gaming experience and lack of imagination. But oh well, fine, let's adapt the controls for them poor brainless amoebas... pfft.

I mean, seriously, I was 6-7 years old and I've never had any of these problems you guys are mentioning !?
Controls were fine, camera fine, heck, the graphics too: low-polygons and textureless 3D, leaves much more room for your imagination to fill in the gaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosmapf View Post
remake we mean Better Graphics
Uhmm... if this means we're gonna get HD looking pistolasers, fine, let's do this.
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual

Last edited by SpaceGuitarist; 2013-06-24 at 03:48.
Old 2013-06-24, 04:02
Magic Ball Master

I also never had Any problems with the controls... these gamers today are just too spoiled by this stupid Counter Strike / Call of Duty era...
Old 2013-06-24, 04:30
strange dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosmapf View Post
I also never had Any problems with the controls... these gamers today are just too spoiled by this stupid Counter Strike / Call of Duty era...
Exactly part of my reasons to disagree with a remake... LBA is an adventure game, not a FPS, so why the heck are we trying to adapt controls to it or whatever?

LBA uses the arrow keys which ((big surprise!)) were meant to be used for movement in different directions! The whole "wasd" thing is retarded because wasd was only used for two-player games in old computers where two people would play a game in the same computer sharing the same keyboard, so both couldn't use the arrow keys at the same time.
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual

Last edited by SpaceGuitarist; 2013-06-24 at 04:51.
Old 2013-06-24, 08:10

It's not so much that one can't use the arrows, it's more what they're used to. If LBA3 came out tomorrow with same camera and controls as LBA2, most gamers would be so frustrated that they would rather see a let's play on youtube just to finish the story.

Speaking of story, they wouldn't understand a thing without playing the first two, which have the same controls and camera. You really think they'll just fall in love with the series like magic? Without the remakes, we can all forget the third game. As I said in another thread, the original games are still much more than playable, the remakes aren't for us. The remakes are a way for LBA as a series to step back into the industry.. If they suck, they suck. If not, think of the possibilities!
Old 2013-06-24, 08:26
Magic Level: Red Ball

Quote:
Exactly part of my reasons to disagree with a remake... LBA is an adventure game, not a FPS, so why the heck are we trying to adapt controls to it or whatever?

LBA uses the arrow keys which ((big surprise!)) were meant to be used for movement in different directions! The whole "wasd" thing is retarded because wasd was only used for two-player games in old computers where two people would play a game in the same computer sharing the same keyboard, so both couldn't use the arrow keys at the same time.
When we talk to Mr. Frederick, and ask him about FPP / TPP Perspective, he said that he will never did it to LBA (because LBA like it is now has his own atmosphere (I think this word;p) )
Old 2013-06-24, 09:24
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Quote:
The whole "wasd" thing is retarded because wasd was only used for two-player games in old computers where two people would play a game in the same computer sharing the same keyboard, so both couldn't use the arrow keys at the same time.
That's not true. Some people simply prefer the left hand over the right hand for movement altogether. It also depends on the type of game and available controls. If you need the mouse a lot, WASD is a lot better than the arrow keys, but if you only need to shoot and jump (CTRL, SHIFT, ALT etc.) the arrow keys would be just fine. And even then there'll be some people who would prefer to swap the hands.

Threads: News, Introduction, Discussion, Bugs collection || Content: Characters, Enemies, Items
Words come in all sizes. But even if they fit you,
they might not come at appropriate times.

Good for everyone is finding yourself first,
and then the good in others second.
Old 2013-06-24, 14:20
strange dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J McKalling View Post
That's not true. Some people simply prefer the left hand over the right hand for movement altogether. It also depends on the type of game and available controls. If you need the mouse a lot, WASD is a lot better than the arrow keys, but if you only need to shoot and jump (CTRL, SHIFT, ALT etc.) the arrow keys would be just fine. And even then there'll be some people who would prefer to swap the hands.
Still unjustified.

I play fps games using the mouse AND arrow keys.
So using a mouse or right/left hand has nothing to do with using wasd.
Quote: