Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2013-07-11, 05:54
LOLwut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renesans View Post
I believe that there was some disagreement between him and Infogrames. This shows Fred doesn't like to be told what to do, he loves freedom. A true Frenchman.
Exactly. I remember reading about it many years ago.

They wanted to do some stuff Fred didn't like at all. And so they did, the games became more violent and less scary. Fred left Infogrames with a bunch of guys, like the musician from AiTD (a certain Philippe something something), and they started their own studio.

Everyone was making Doom clones back then, so he wanted to be more original. He and his studio made an action adventure game called Little Big Adventure. And the rest is history...

Old 2013-07-11, 10:39
Polly parrot

Yeah, he had some problems with Bruno Bonnell, and someone just offered him to make his own studio...
That and different points of view about what direction AitD2 should take.
Old 2013-07-11, 12:09
Magic Level: Red Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renesans View Post
I don't think someone would bother to translate the whole text just for you. Ask the things you don't understand and we'll try to help.

~~~

From Fred's Facebook, asked by some friend of Fred:

And Fred's answer:

Yeah !!! Very good news !!!

Thx Renesans
Old 2013-07-11, 13:00
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
The issue with the AitD sequels is they wanted to quickly churn out games with the same engine - Fred wanted to evolve and improve it.
Theres some articles on this uploaded on MBN somewhere I think.

Imho, Essentially AitD could have been as big as Resident Evil if it was allowed to develop properly rather then go for the quick cash.
Old 2013-07-13, 16:15
LOLwut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
The issue with the AitD sequels is they wanted to quickly churn out games with the same engine - Fred wanted to evolve and improve it.
Theres some articles on this uploaded on MBN somewhere I think.

Imho, Essentially AitD could have been as big as Resident Evil if it was allowed to develop properly rather then go for the quick cash.
Almost no one at the big studios had the long term vision needed back then. The Oddworld guys once said that the industry didn't believe in sequels when they released Abe Oddysse in 1997; let alone 1992.

Lol, even Resident Evil was at risk of burning-out too soon, but the dev team was smart enough to re-start Resident Evil 2 from scratch when they realized it was a bad clone of the first.

All in all, when it comes to Alone In The Dark, I'm glad it turned out to be like this. We wouldn't have LBA if Fred stayed with Infogrames.

Old 2013-07-13, 17:38
Magic Ball Master

Well, there is a reason for anything, no?
We should all be glad there is not a 3rd AitD
Old 2013-07-13, 18:04
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
actually there are 5 of em now
Old 2013-07-13, 18:44
Magic Ball Master

I meant that he didn't participate on the 3rd and the others, sorry.
Old 2013-07-13, 19:42
New efforts! :)

The first one is scary as hell It's a shame that Fred hasn't had the chance to make another survival horror game again. Agartha was cancelled Hope he can redo what he had in mind for that game and I'm glad he still has interest in doing it.

Take a look at the blog!

LBA:LID Demo v1.0 HERE
Report bugs here! Thanks Alexfont!
----------------------------------------
Take a look at Vindish's mod!
Old 2013-07-14, 00:28
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
or that sourcecode at least gets leaked for DC emulators to use :P
Old 2013-07-14, 02:54
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

It looks to me like Crowd funding will be the only way to get something like this published. Do you reckon a commercial publisher would have funded Wasteland 2 or Star Citizen? I think the commercial publishers have about two formulas: FPS sequel X and ruining old games.

If you are worried about Kickstarter limitations, Kickstarter is not the only platform: http://www.indiegogo.com/ which supports worldwide projects.

Ready to fund.
Old 2013-07-14, 09:47
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSeddon View Post
It looks to me like Crowd funding will be the only way to get something like this published. Do you reckon a commercial publisher would have funded Wasteland 2 or Star Citizen? I think the commercial publishers have about two formulas: FPS sequel X and ruining old games.

If you are worried about Kickstarter limitations, Kickstarter is not the only platform: http://www.indiegogo.com/ which supports worldwide projects.

Ready to fund.
Are you talking about LBA? My opinion is that Kickstarter is the only option for crowdfunding such a large project. It simply has much larger visibility than the other sites. There's an unofficial guide for non-US Kickstarter projects. Now Kickstarter is also available in the UK so it's also possible to have a UK contact instead of a US one. I'm sure some people here would be willing to offer help.
Old 2013-07-14, 13:24
Hello

Send a message via MSN to Gustav Sweden
Very nice interview!
Old 2013-07-14, 23:58
Magic Ball Master

I'm sure Most of the people here are willing to donate to the project, some even more than $100.
Old 2013-07-15, 00:16
Classic

LBA has fans far and wide beyond this forum - it frequently still gets put on top 100 game lists.
Thing is, I am not sure its enough.
Could probably kickstart a $1million, but LBA3 could take many times that to do well.

I think its only possible if it was divided into shorter episodes which would be easier to fund.
Old 2013-07-15, 02:03
Magic Level: Fire Ball

It needs careful planning but it could be done. But first of all, someone needs to convince Fred, Didier & co. about it.
Old 2013-07-15, 02:26
strange dreamer

Alone In the Dark 1 was indeed the best of all the trilogy, and in my opinion, also the best survival horror game ever made. Nothing is scarier than Carnby and his cumbersome footsteps breaking the silence. Also, one of the most charming female players ever, Emily Hartwood. <3
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Old 2013-07-15, 02:42
Magic Ball Master

Quote:

I think its only possible if it was divided into shorter episodes which would be easier to fund.
Half-Life instantly came into my mind lol.
Old 2013-07-15, 11:48
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
Talking about Carnby - it's so weird how he has that big mustache in Aitd 1, and then he becomes younger, with long hair and no mustache later on. And in the movie he has short hair. Surely changes his look pretty often
Old 2013-07-15, 12:48
Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosmapf View Post
Half-Life instantly came into my mind lol.
Lets not use that as an example though. I dont want to be waiting for LBA 3.3 forever

TellTale's point and clicks would be a better example - they actually finish what they start.

Still, the hard part is dividing it up. Normal methods used for episodic games would kinda hurt a open-world game like LBA.
I can only think each episode is an island but you can still visit islands from previous episodes....so your explorable world slowly builds up each release.
Old 2013-07-15, 21:12
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Lets not use that as an example though. I dont want to be waiting for LBA 3.3 forever

TellTale's point and clicks would be a better example - they actually finish what they start.

Still, the hard part is dividing it up. Normal methods used for episodic games would kinda hurt a open-world game like LBA.
I can only think each episode is an island but you can still visit islands from previous episodes....so your explorable world slowly builds up each release.
Omg I should have thought better when I used that example
Darn you Valve, why do you never make the #3 of your games?! I'M STILL WAITING FOR HALF-LIFE AND PORTAL!!

And idk... I think the game would probably suffer a lot if it was made in episodes... many games (like Half-Life) had success with it, but I can't realy see LBA 3 having the same.
Old 2013-07-20, 00:00
Magic Level: Red Ball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...tPKfxMFQ#at=36
Old 2013-07-20, 00:15
Polly parrot

Wow, thanks
Old 2013-07-20, 00:42
Magic Ball Master

Too bad the camera only start moving to show the slides on half of session.

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2013-07-20, 14:38
inharmonic explorer

I can see a kickstarter working, and I can see the game not needing to cost that much if it is made primarily with fans in mind (as I don't think we'd be demanding when it comes to graphics or certain production aspects.) We just want great music, gameplay and the perfect LBA atmosphere! But if it were created as some kind of reboot/with a view to getting a whole bunch of new fans, I think it would be need to have scorching hot modern graphics/top voice acting etc. to gather them in.