Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > First aid

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

First aid The forum for getting help to run or complete the LBA games. Note: could contain spoilers.

Old 2013-08-05, 14:41
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
"jumpy" audio on gog version of lba1?

i recently bought the gog version of lba1, but when i try to play it, the audio (music and speech) turns to get interrupted every few seconds, kind of like when you talk to someone on the phone with bad reception. any ideas?
This is work of higher intelligences, who take other, esoteric and psychological sciences into account than we are normally used to even consider, numerology being one of them, because everything for them is ritualistic and everything is meant for a deep programming of our psychological state. One day witchcraft and science will collide.
Old 2013-08-05, 20:49
Magic Ball Master

Do you use the Standard Dosbox configuration that comes with GOG that uses software-upscaling to use the CPU to scale the game up to modern resolutions? I've had a lot of problems with that, bad reaction times and sound issues too if I remember correctly. I play the game on a 4:3 screen with a native resolution of 640x480.

Might be it, just an idea. The GOG program should allow you to change display settings. Maybe the audio configuration in your Dosbox.conf has a problem too.
Old 2013-08-05, 22:46
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
my current graphics setting are:

Graphic mode: OpenGL

Resolution: 1360x768

Double buffering is checked

Keep aspect ratio is not checked

Scaling engine: normal2x

I know for sure that the resolution i'm using is the optimal one, as for the other stuff, i have no idea.
This is work of higher intelligences, who take other, esoteric and psychological sciences into account than we are normally used to even consider, numerology being one of them, because everything for them is ritualistic and everything is meant for a deep programming of our psychological state. One day witchcraft and science will collide.
Old 2013-08-06, 00:25
Magic Level: Fire Ball

I think these are the correct settings:

Also check that in dosboxLBA.conf (in game directory) core=auto is set (it should be).

A side note: in the GOG version, when playing the non-CD music (shorter songs), the music quality is very bad because of the wrong default values in lba.cfg (also in game directory). These are the correct values for getting midi music (best quality):

MidiDriver: A32MT32.DLL
MidiBase: 330h
MidiType: Midi

The cue sheet included is also wrong: the CD tracks start a little bit later than they should – the beginning of each track is chopped off. To correct this you need to replace lba.dat in your game directory with the one in the attached .zip file.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lba_dosbox_settings.png‎
Views:	344
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	9801  
Attached Files
File Type: zip lba_dat.zip‎ (303 Bytes, 95 views)

Last edited by Renesans; 2013-08-06 at 00:31.
Old 2013-08-06, 00:27
Polly parrot

I know that the audio is off-sync, but never heard about a jumpy sound...

edit : Hmm... I have every sound being off-sync, not only the CD music, do you have anything to cure that ?
Old 2013-08-06, 00:35
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Hmm... I have every sound being off-sync, not only the CD music, do you have anything to cure that ?
Do you mean that the sounds are played later than they should? Like Twinsen jumps and the jumping sound is played later? Because I wasn't talking about that, that's another issue which I seem to have as well (although it's not that noticable). Let me know that changing the settings to match my previous post makes it any better.
Old 2013-08-06, 00:47
strange dreamer

Things will never be like it was when running it from the original disc in my Pentium 1 back then. Compatibility = 100%!
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Old 2013-08-06, 01:04
Magic Ball Master

I know that feel bro... I have too lost my disc, one of the most awfull things that happened to me (lol no, but that is realy, realy sad )
Old 2013-08-06, 02:12
Polly parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renesans View Post
Do you mean that the sounds are played later than they should? Like Twinsen jumps and the jumping sound is played later? Because I wasn't talking about that, that's another issue which I seem to have as well (although it's not that noticable). Let me know that changing the settings to match my previous post makes it any better.
I'll try it when I'll be back in Hungary, thanks
Old 2013-08-06, 12:04
Previously Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post

Things will never be like it was when running it from the original disc in my Pentium 1 back then. Compatibility = 100%!
Hopefully with the ResidualVM engine we should get there eventually (for both games).
Old 2013-08-09, 02:50
Polly parrot

I hope it'll happen...
There's a ScummVM emulator for DS I believe, porting the LBAs would make it possible to play on the DS !