Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

View Poll Results: How much would you give to have the game of your dreams become true?
10 € 6 11.11%
25 € 8 14.81%
50 € 14 25.93%
100 € 9 16.67%
250 € 7 12.96%
500 € 3 5.56%
800 € 0 0%
1000 € 3 5.56%
1500 € 0 0%
2500 € 1 1.85%
5000 € 2 3.70%
Above 5000 € 1 1.85%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-08-03, 20:27
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
As long as it isnt Bitcoin.
In the time it takes for Fred to say "we have enough money!" the bitcoins will only be worth enough to take them out for a pizza.
Old 2013-08-04, 01:57
strange dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
As long as it isnt Bitcoin.
In the time it takes for Fred to say "we have enough money!" the bitcoins will only be worth enough to take them out for a pizza.
Lovely lba-related pun.
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Old 2013-08-06, 19:43
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

I love LBA, and i will ready to pay. I am poor russian and i can pay only near 150 euro, but i want that LBA3 will be!
Old 2013-08-06, 21:24
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
btw, i have a question. the whole reason they can't make lba3 is because they can't find a publisher. but if they make a kickstarter and it succeeds, wouldn't they no longer need a publisher?
This is work of higher intelligences, who take other, esoteric and psychological sciences into account than we are normally used to even consider, numerology being one of them, because everything for them is ritualistic and everything is meant for a deep programming of our psychological state. One day witchcraft and science will collide.
Old 2013-08-06, 22:38
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Depends if the kickstarter covers 100% of the cost - many dont come anywhere close to that. Sometimes they have done a deal with a publisher to pay for the rest.
Old 2013-08-07, 00:05
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Kickstarter has an all or nothing policy: you only get the money if your project reaches the funding goal. Or do you mean that some projects set lower goals than they should in order to get the money for sure?
Old 2013-08-07, 00:41
Magic Ball Master

That's exactly what he meant. But then, a publisher pays the rest of the project in exchange for something (percentage of the profit in the future, for example)
Old 2013-08-07, 11:45
Polly parrot

During our mini-meet, Jesse (or Lupin ?) said that Fred said that they'll need at least 10Million euros...
Old 2013-08-07, 12:22
Party animal

i don't know jackshit about developing video games, but isn't 10 million euros a bit much? nowadays you have really awesome games that are developed by small teams. i mean, just look at jasiek's remake - if they make an lba game that looks as good as that, i personally would be satisfied.

i understand they need to pay voice actors and modellers and all that, but still, why 10 million???
This is work of higher intelligences, who take other, esoteric and psychological sciences into account than we are normally used to even consider, numerology being one of them, because everything for them is ritualistic and everything is meant for a deep programming of our psychological state. One day witchcraft and science will collide.
Old 2013-08-07, 14:54
Classic

Probably because they are all aiming too high with the graphics to please "all or nothing" publishers

Unfortunately the industry is obsessed with "big budget for big paybacks" rather then just "make something profitable".

That said, it all adds up pretty quickly.
Even relatively low paid, a team of 10 people or so for a few years, plus rent, tax etc.
A million will go by pretty quick.

10 million does seem a tad too much though going the other way....but then, it depends how big the game is.
I think realistically its better to aim for small "episodes" with lower budgets. High quality...but short.

But then, if Freds already got a story planned and the game needs to be X length to forfill that story, obviously they are going to try to tell it that way.
Old 2013-08-07, 17:08

10 million euros? That's way too ambitious for such a project... I thought it was possible to make with about 1 mil.
Old 2013-08-07, 18:43
Magic Ball GrandMaster

"Ok, so if everyone is going to offer 5k for the project, we're going to make it really quick!"

...hmm

Threads: News, Introduction, Discussion, Bugs collection || Content: Characters, Enemies, Items
Words come in all sizes. But even if they fit you,
they might not come at appropriate times.

Good for everyone is finding yourself first,
and then the good in others second.
Old 2013-08-07, 20:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by J McKalling View Post
"Ok, so if everyone is going to offer 5k for the project, we're going to make it really quick!"

...hmm
Take my 5k... forints!
Old 2013-08-07, 21:07
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
During our mini-meet, Jesse (or Lupin ?) said that Fred said that they'll need at least 10Million euros...
Lupin,

I only talked with Fred around 1999/2000 I think.
Old 2013-08-07, 23:00
Previously Link

I'm not sure he said 10 million (I don't remember the figures, might be 5 million).
It was definitely more than 1 million though. Action/Adventure games are quite expensive to make (compared with other games). It's not only about the art assets. Original gameplay means original technology, that means talented programmers, which means higher salaries. The development time is long too (multiple episode only reduces one part of the production costs).
Just take a look at how much games usually cost: http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Most_e...ve_video_games and tell me LBA3 is not at least worth a Psychonauts!
Also, you have to take inflation into account when comparing with other games budgets.
Old 2013-08-07, 23:34

Hey, but this is a list of the most expensive video games. I think we could get a reasonable estimate of the cost if we took the budget of LBA1/2 and took inflation into account. Besides, a game doesn't need to be expensive to be good. Maybe they'll need to cut their own salaries to make it happen. Who knows... if they really want to make the game, it shouldn't matter. I understand that more people are needed than the core team but it still would be something.
Old 2013-08-08, 00:41
Previously Link

Well, there's a few example of less expensive games in the second part of the list.
Money = Time. The more money you use, only means the more time you spend on it.

The quality of the game really depends much more on which kind of relationship is established between the investor (publisher, business angel, crowdfunding fans) and the creative people than the amount itself. If Fred estimates that the right amount needed for LBA3 is say, between 5 millions and 15 millions, I trust his experience and judgment (it's not like he is gonna seize that amount for himself anyway). And it's not like he is saying 200 million either (although, again, this particular kind of game does require a large budget, more so than say an FPS or RPG for which technology already exists and only needs a bit of adaptation, besides featuring a simpler kind of gameplay simple-core vs multi-core gameplay).

If the investor feels like the fact he is giving (a lot of) money entitles him to mess with the creative people's choices, then the game will most likely be bad. If the investor is giving full freedom to the creators, then, the more money the better. I'm confident Fred is concerned enough about LBA3's quality to find the right spot. The perfect mix, giving a comfortable enough budget, and the necessary amount of creative freedom. This is the condition to build the right environment in order to preserve LBA's quality.

I'd rather not see LBA3 than see it compromised by too heavy production imperatives/constraints, be it due to publisher (or even fans) uninspired control, or by budget restrictions.
Old 2013-08-08, 14:02
Classic

Also, better to ask for the correct amount upfront, all planned.

Then to "Pull a Tim Schafer", raising massively more money then you asked for.....and then end up asking for even more

Then again, that came from them raising money first and then deciding what to make with it.
I think for LBA3 there is more of a plan.
Old 2013-08-08, 14:24
Party animal

well i read somewhere that the most money ever raised for a game via kickstarter was around 4 million dollars? i don't really see lba3 breaking that record... and finding a publisher doesn't seem very realistic either, since unless i'm missing something, adventure games are more or less dead?
at least in mainstream gaming. things aren't looking good if you ask me
Old 2013-08-08, 14:30
Polly parrot

True, that's why they want to remake LBA1 first, if it sells well, it'll show the publishers that adventure games still sell well.
That's a big "if".
Old 2013-08-26, 13:22
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

I'd go for €50. That's all I could afford right now but every little bit helps.
Old 2013-11-08, 17:08
Magic Level: Red Ball

Send a message via ICQ to ras maxim
I would donate between 50 and 100 Euros right now if it really helps