Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2009-09-18, 20:09
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Twinsun What the heck is Bù?

I just stumbled across this LBA 1 quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBA 1
Random quote from the games: " Bùian Mermaid. A fine example of the absurdity of ancient superstitions: this statue was found in the middle of a desert. " (LBA, #767)
So, we have a Bùian Mermaid statue in the Proxima Island Maritime Museum. This, in my humble opinion, clearly points to Bù being a place.
But what the heck of a place would Bù be? It's clear it has a lot to do with Desert Island - maybe the ancient name of Desert Island? Maybe a city on Desert Island, which the Temple of Bù was a part of?

Also, note the grammar - Temple of Bù, Book of Bù, Horn of Gawley, Pisto-Laser of Zarnon, however, Sendell's Medallion, Sendell's Ball. In my opinion, where of is used, it's a place, where 's is used, it's a being.
Any other opinions are welcome.
Old 2009-09-18, 20:13
Magic Ball Master

I think the Bùian Mermaid could be a mermaid living in the stream down in the temple of Bù
(the one connected with the Hacienda Bath)
Old 2009-09-18, 20:17
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
- leoboe: There was no stream there, until LBA 2. The LBA 2 Esmers' base is the 2nd scene of the LBA 1 Temple of Bù, and the LBA 1 version has no water, anywhere.
Old 2009-09-18, 20:29
You what?!

The water must have come from somewhere though, maybe it was sealed up at some point and then reopened in LBA2.
Old 2009-09-18, 21:06
Magic Ball Master

There is indeed water in LBA1.
Remember the fountains in front of the temple during the cutscene.
This water also has to come from somewhere
Old 2009-09-18, 21:29
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler View Post
Also, note the grammar - Temple of Bù, Book of Bù, Horn of Gawley, Pisto-Laser of Zarnon, however, Sendell's Medallion, Sendell's Ball. In my opinion, where of is used, it's a place, where 's is used, it's a being.
Good point, that's also an explanation why nobody ever talks of those "people" anywhere in the games.
Old 2009-09-18, 21:50
a well established member

Send a message via MSN to Echomote
Was Zarnon one of the mentioned other planets?
Old 2009-09-18, 21:53
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echomote View Post
Was Zarnon one of the mentioned other planets?
Nope, those were Red Planet and Fly-safari planet Zirla.
Old 2009-09-18, 22:00
Welcome to Zirla!

- leoboe: Yes, but there's no water in that particular scene, nor there ever was, given that the LBA 1 version has elevators in that area, which I doubt were originally under-water elevators.
Also, mermaids usually live in open-air waters, not in in-side waters.
Old 2009-09-19, 18:20
the hobbits to Otringal

There are 2 mermaid statues in front of the temple of Bu also.

http://forum.magicball.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2558&dateline=1285864225
Old 2009-09-19, 18:23
!!!!!

Quote:
What about the Well of Sendell?
Old 2009-09-19, 18:45
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
Yeah, and IIRC the horn in LBA1 is called Gawley's Horn (it's Horn of Gawley in the museum in LBA2), and the one in LBA2 is called Horn of the Blue Triton. Blue Trition is clearly not a place. I think the usage of 's and of is completely random. And I think Búian mermaid means a mermaid from the Temple of Bú. We have seen such mermaids in front of the temple in the cinematic when Twinsen gets the book. Bú can be the ancient name of the desert where the temple was built.
Old 2009-09-19, 20:46
Magic level: Ice Ball

Send a message via MSN to morshem
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
Isn't it referred to as Sendell's Well? Or am I just confusing with the sadly defunct site?
Old 2009-09-19, 20:57
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by morshem View Post
Isn't it referred to as Sendell's Well? Or am I just confusing with the sadly defunct site?
Let's see:
Quote:
The third stone will show the exact location of the Well of Sendell.
Quote:
In my dreams, I saw him profaning the Well of Sendell, which caused the immediate destruction of this world.
Quote:
And as soon as I knew the location of the Well of Sendell, I began the foraging work.
Quote:
" I am the stone of the Septentrion. The Well of Sendell is located at the summit of the rocky peak that is at the center of Polar island. Only the Heir can break the seal that bars the entrance. "
In fact,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Fly
Let's see, you can talk to me and you're wearing the Medallion of Sendell
Old 2009-09-19, 23:58
Previously Link

Well, anyway in French you only have the word 'of', there is nothing such as "Sendell's well" in French. Only "the well of Sendell". So grammar can't be a good clue about those names.
Old 2009-09-20, 07:19
Polish Pride

Hmmm, that would be interesting though if in LBA 3 there was a venture into the history, that certainly seems to exist, regarding the Temple of Bu, and possibly Twinsen's ancestors and their role with Sendell and all. This could be turned into such an epic storyline and help make any missing pieces from the first two fit together.

And in terms of:
Quote:
- leoboe: Yes, but there's no water in that particular scene, nor there ever was, given that the LBA 1 version has elevators in that area, which I doubt were originally under-water elevators.
I requote Kitarii:
Quote:
The water must have come from somewhere though, maybe it was sealed up at some point and then reopened in LBA2.
It's very possible there's some sort of other room or underground passage that was somewhat like a cave with water in it where the mermaids resided in. And with:
Quote:
Also, mermaids usually live in open-air waters, not in in-side waters.
Mermaids aren't real, therefore there is not script as to where mermaids live. Who's to say there wasn't some underground cave which linked out to the ocean? Or maybe the mermaids were locked away to protect the Temple, or even the world from the mermaids? Also, there's always the possibility that the mermaids are extinct and they used to be guardians of the Temple, or even Sendell's previous form as creatures in teh flesh?

All; speculation of course
not knowing when to laugh or cry,
Break the surface,
and tell me what you really see,
When did we stop believing?
When did we say goodbye?
Old 2009-09-20, 15:26
Polly parrot

If the desert island was calles island of Bù, or something, could it be that in acient times, the Temple of Bù wasn't underground ?
Old 2009-09-20, 15:58
Welcome to Zirla!

- Polaris: The Temple of Bù is currently under-ground, because it was buried by a sand-storm in the far past. Obviously, before the sand-storm, it wasn't under-ground.

- leoboe: OK, you might be right. But again, the name of the mermaids is Bùian mermaids, not mermaids from the Temple of Bù.
Old 2009-09-20, 20:10
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
- Polaris: The Temple of Bù is currently under-ground, because it was buried by a sand-storm in the far past. Obviously, before the sand-storm, it wasn't under-ground.
Who says that?
Old 2009-09-20, 20:13
this's longer than allowe

maybe Bú is some kind of Buda
Bùian --> Budist
Old 2009-09-20, 20:54
Master of Science & Magic

Remember that the Temple of Bu used to be within an oasis.
Old 2009-09-21, 19:07
eat me

i thought that Bù was a god or a specific sendell before you mention the buian mermaid. but... anytway i wonder... if temple of my got buried by a sand storm that meand that the white leaf desert was on the red "sky" thing?
(at lba2 there is a map wich says that there is 3 levels on twinsun 1 ( idk) 2 temple of BU and 3 well of sendell.)
Old 2009-09-21, 21:25
Polly parrot

That's just a cross-over view of Twinsun, it shows everything that people usually do not see. I don't think it states inhabitable levels. (by the way, 1 is the Sendells)
Old 2009-09-30, 19:22
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
nobody uses Google or Wikipedia anymore these days ...

Bù - cottage, hut, market place, plain, arena, port city, market, wharf, dock, trading center, or this place in Hong Kong: 深水埗
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2009-09-30, 22:25
Magic level: Ice Ball

Send a message via MSN to morshem
http://forum.magicball.net/showpost....0&postcount=12