Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > The site and forum

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The site and forum Place your comments about the Magic Ball Network here. Talk here about the Magicball Network and the forum.

Old 2009-10-27, 14:38
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Question Upgrade?

Will this forum upgrade to vBulletin 4, now that it's out? Or will it stay with vBulletin 3 until new security holes are found, and exploited, to the forum's damage, because vBulletin 3 ceased development?

Also, I'd again propose to move to phpBB 3. Seriously, it's free, it has features, which vBulletin lacks (like allowing the users to change their date and time format, for one), and if it lacks features, which vBulletin has, they can easily be added by installing MODs.
Plus, have I mentioned yet, that it's FREE?! This means, that the ads on this forum can finally go bye-bye forever, if we move.

Also, whenever I see a phpBB forum, I see a community, where people are close together, like a family. Whenever I see a vBulletin forum, I see a community, where people are distanced from each other, like a business.
Old 2009-10-27, 15:12
Magic level: Ice Ball

Send a message via MSN to morshem
When I see vBulletin, I think of MBN. And when I think of MBN, I think of a family.

Or something like that
Old 2009-10-27, 15:16
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
- morshem: I don't really see, why you people like vBulletin so much. With vBulletin, elmuerte can't even upgrade the forum steadily, since he'd have to pay for it, and he can't. With phpBB 3, he could upgrade easily, and for free.
Not to mention, phpBB 3 has automatic limiting of signatures by number of lines, and, IIRC, even by pixel height, so it would solve even a further problem this forum has.
Old 2009-10-27, 15:25
Panta rei

I dont see how the type of forum relates to the sense of unity in the community
Old 2009-10-27, 15:27
Welcome to Zirla!

- Lozo: With a paid forum software, the forum staff has this aura of distancement from the general community, like in a business. With a free forum software, the forum staff is generally much closer to the general community, like in a family.
Old 2009-10-27, 15:42
You what?!

OBattler you're the only member here who feels this way! Give up on the phpBB advertising already.
Old 2009-10-27, 15:45

Actually, according to this poll he isn't
Old 2009-10-27, 16:10
You what?!

morshem your memory is ridiculous! Anyway I'd like to see that poll done again but with public votes.
Old 2009-10-27, 16:11
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by morshem View Post
Actually, according to this poll he isn't
How many of his - ahem - friends turned up to vote for it? It's been pointed out that it should be public.
Old 2009-10-27, 16:17

Yeah, I brought this poll as a joke.
Old 2009-10-27, 16:25
You what?!

Ah, you have scandalized yourself.
Old 2009-10-27, 16:47
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
I like phpBB, but theres no reason to change I see.
Its a lot of work for very little advantages. This forum does pretty much all we need.

Quote:
Plus, have I mentioned yet, that it's FREE?! This means, that the ads on this forum can finally go bye-bye forever, if we move.
I dont think the adverts pay for the (one-off) fee of the forum software, the adverts provide a very small amount to cover El's time and any hosting costs.

(actualy, I dought the adverts give much at all, donations and MBN branded stuff probably give 10 times more)
Old 2009-10-27, 16:55
LBA2 Maestro

MBN is, will always be, forever MBN or something like that...
Old 2009-10-27, 17:03
!!!!!

vBulletin is much better than phpBB.
Old 2009-10-27, 17:10
/ʤæmfɪʃ/

I don't want to move. I like it here. I see no good reason to move when people are perfectly happy staying put.
And gave it a name, so then it wasn't mine
Old 2009-10-27, 18:01
!!!!!

Obras needs to chillax
Old 2009-10-27, 19:26
LBA2 Maestro

"Agrees with Chaos"
Old 2009-10-27, 22:29
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
you are one distrubed individual, obras
This is work of higher intelligences, who take other, esoteric and psychological sciences into account than we are normally used to even consider, numerology being one of them, because everything for them is ritualistic and everything is meant for a deep programming of our psychological state. One day witchcraft and science will collide.
Old 2009-10-27, 22:50
Magic Ball Master

It doesn't seem like vB3 will be unsupported any time soon. vB4 isn't even out yet (it's currently on pre-sale on their site). If anything, phpBB might be more susceptible to security leaks.

I don't think ads on MBN are to pay for vB alone; there's also hosting and bandwidth fees. You may choose to disable ads in your options, if they bother you that much.

I don't dislike phpBB and I generally prefer open-source software, but I don't think it's a good choice to migrate the MBN forums to it.

May I also remind you of this post; a fine answer in just four words to your proposition from some 5 months ago.
Old 2009-10-27, 23:45
Tomorrow burns!

Send a message via MSN to Illumina
Gosh, I remember how I started a thread just to sound like that, only a bit more pompous... Watching the opening to this thread makes me embarassed.
Old 2009-10-28, 04:11
Magic Ball Master

There is no real reason to switch forum software, at all. El doesn't have a problem paying for it. If he did, I could see a change being logical, but otherwise, there really is no point except change for the sake of change, which is unnecessary.

Incidentally, the idea of forum software defining a community is straight-up retarded.
Old 2009-10-28, 09:14
Master of Science & Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler View Post
Will this forum upgrade to vBulletin 4, now that it's out?
It's not out yet afaik. And I might switch to it, the primary reason would be because they improved the styling, but I first have to check that out.

Quote:
Or will it stay with vBulletin 3 until new security holes are found, and exploited, to the forum's damage, because vBulletin 3 ceased development?
vBulletin 3 won't get any feature upgrades, but it will receive security updates for quite a long time. For the time being I'm staying with vBulletin 3. I need to do quite some work for vBulletin 4 (and to update the frontpage software).

Quote:
Also, I'd again propose to move to phpBB 3. Seriously, it's free, it has features, which vBulletin lacks (like allowing the users to change their date and time format, for one), and if it lacks features, which vBulletin has, they can easily be added by installing MODs.
I don't care. Most of the mods I've installed on the MBN are not even standard phpBB features. And what do you even want will all those extra features, it looks to me the MBN is working fine as it is. There are quite some features in vBulletin 3.7 (which is currently used) that are disabled on the MBN, and I haven't updated to 3.8 because it didn't have any useful features (stuff that I would enable).

Quote:
That's correct. But my time isn't. Usually I'm all for free software (free as in speech; not per se as in speech). Just because the software is gratis doesn't make the hosting costs gratis. Besides, the ads are there just to offer me some compensation. I don't mind people blocking the ads, that's what you can even disable it in your profile. I don't see a reason to remove the ads when switching software. It just means more money for me.

Quote:
Also, whenever I see a phpBB forum, I see a community, where people are close together, like a family. Whenever I see a vBulletin forum, I see a community, where people are distanced from each other, like a business.
That says more about you than about the software. Some other forums I frequent (1, 2) also run vBulletin, and they are more about community, and not about business at all.
Old 2009-10-28, 11:33
/ʤæmfɪʃ/

Just to say, our school SPU forum was phpBB and that was definitely run like a business, not a community. It was because of the nature of the forum (it was to help us with our written coursework), not because of the software.
And gave it a name, so then it wasn't mine
Old 2009-10-28, 13:58
Magic Level: Fire Ball

I don't see any reasons behind phpBB. I think upgrading to vBulletin 4 is maybe a good option, as El says.
Old 2009-10-28, 16:21
Magic Ball Master

I'd be interested to see a comparison of the feature set between Vb4 and what we have now.