Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > The site and forum

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The site and forum Place your comments about the Magic Ball Network here. Talk here about the Magicball Network and the forum.

Old 2009-11-07, 09:38

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
Thank you mother fowlers

After spending quite a few months on various forums that instant banned you for saying anything worse than "darn," I want to express how much I appreciate the freedom MBN gives to people who want to swear.

Fuckin' A, right?

Also after having traveled about various sites I want to point out that despite 10 years of blaming Moderators/Admins for power abuse, it must be said that MBN overlords rule with a gentle fist. They are one of the least corrupt, power abusive moderators I have come across.
Old 2009-11-07, 10:16
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Yeah, I actually were on a forum where writing 'shit' made a large red text in your post appear, saying "Report me for swearing!". I always appreciate the MBN forum rules.
Old 2009-11-07, 13:20
Magic level: Ice Ball

Send a message via MSN to morshem
I once wrote "wtf" on a Monkey Island forum, and some moderator edited my post to delete this word.
Old 2009-11-07, 13:22
!!!!!

Me also agree with Mr. Wing.
Old 2009-11-07, 14:09
Magic Ball Master

It's quite simple. If we would ban anybody on the MBN for swearing, the forum would lose half of its members and all of its charme.
Old 2009-11-07, 14:54
LBA2 Maestro

No thanks
Old 2009-11-07, 14:59
Master of Science & Magic

I don't understand the whole swearword concept. If I would start using "chair" as a swearword and enough people would follow then "chair" would become an accepted swearword and thus it would need to be censored according to some... That just doesn't make sense. What makes shit so special compared to crap, dirt, shite, poop, turd.
Seriously, how can a single quite generic word be offensive to some even if it is not directed at them.

For this reason the MBN doesn't have a word filter.
Old 2009-11-07, 15:11
Magic Ball Master

Word filters are the most idiotic thing you can set up on a forum. I've seen people trying to talk about Dick Cheney on some other forum...
Old 2009-11-07, 15:33
You what?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmuerte View Post
I don't understand the whole swearword concept. If I would start using "chair" as a swearword and enough people would follow then "chair" would become an accepted swearword and thus it would need to be censored according to some... That just doesn't make sense. What makes shit so special compared to crap, dirt, shite, poop, turd.
Seriously, how can a single quite generic word be offensive to some even if it is not directed at them.

For this reason the MBN doesn't have a word filter.
I've thought this for a long time, no one else seems to understand when I try to explain though... Well put.
Old 2009-11-07, 15:38
/ʤæmfɪʃ/

I tried to set up an account for Puzzle Pirates as PurpleButterfly and it wouldn't let me because of the word "butt". It isn't even really a kid's game, and even so, "butt" is hardly that offensive.
Also, trying to discuss Arsenal football team is impossible.
And gave it a name, so then it wasn't mine
Old 2009-11-07, 15:38
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Well, what matters is not the word itself but the meaning behind it.
When someone says "fuck" rather than "have sex" he usually intends to be vulgar, and so the word becomes vulgar.

Basically El is right, we can say any word with a vulgar intent and the word becomes a swearword.

So yes, wordfilters are stupid because

1)who the fuck cares
2)even if someone did care, trying to cover all swearwords is a bottomless pit.
This is work of higher intelligences, who take other, esoteric and psychological sciences into account than we are normally used to even consider, numerology being one of them, because everything for them is ritualistic and everything is meant for a deep programming of our psychological state. One day witchcraft and science will collide.
Old 2009-11-07, 16:09
LBA2 Maestro

Haha yeah who cares? In real life you can swear what you want, then why should you put up filters ^o)

Anakin, is your sig related to this?
Old 2009-11-07, 16:38
!!!!!

When there's a wordfilter on a forum I just open Charmap and choose a unicode character that looks like one of the letters in the word, and use it instead. Works like a charm.
Old 2009-11-07, 16:49
Party animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtDemolition View Post
Haha yeah who cares? In real life you can swear what you want, then why should you put up filters ^o)

Anakin, is your sig related to this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy_d3loXf3s
This is work of higher intelligences, who take other, esoteric and psychological sciences into account than we are normally used to even consider, numerology being one of them, because everything for them is ritualistic and everything is meant for a deep programming of our psychological state. One day witchcraft and science will collide.
Old 2009-11-07, 18:11
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
Well I think some people do believe that cursing is an angry action, and you will only manage a bad situation worse after you've cursed.

Iff that assumption is true then I can understand the other side. People do not want their children to swear, because that would (according to our assumption) make them loose control over themselves and become angrier. (obviously, I assume no parent wants their child to be angry or to loose control).

To be honest I really can't see that you're "converting" your anger to words when you curse. It's more like if cursing builds up anger. So there might be a good end in censorship.

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2009-11-07, 18:18
Magic Ball Master

Seriously, you guys are fuckin' epic. I mean, fuck, it's like fucking a chick upside-down on a rollercoaster...
Old 2009-11-07, 18:44
Party animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBAWinOwns View Post
Well I think some people do believe that cursing is an angry action, and you will only manage a bad situation worse after you've cursed.

Iff that assumption is true then I can understand the other side. People do not want their children to swear, because that would (according to our assumption) make them loose control over themselves and become angrier. (obviously, I assume no parent wants their child to be angry or to loose control).

To be honest I really can't see that you're "converting" your anger to words when you curse. It's more like if cursing builds up anger. So there might be a good end in censorship.

I think that's ridiculous.

When a bird shits on your head, shouting "FUCK" is the same as shouting "ARGH". It's not the word but the feeling behind it.

When someone is angry, letting it out by shouting is psychologically proven to be healthy. In fact there are therapy groups where people come and shout their heads off. Also, in Om meditation there's a part where you supposed to shout and swear.

Loose control? if loosing control means letting out your anger rather then repressing it t han i think loosing control is a pretty good thing to do.

in fact, repressing your emotions rather than letting them out is what will cause a person to REALLY lose control one day.
Old 2009-11-07, 18:58
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakin View Post
When a bird shits on your head, shouting "FUCK" is the same as shouting "ARGH". It's not the word but the feeling behind it.
Yes. That's true ...

Ok I think I know were you're going with this, when I think about it "argh" is never censored.

Maybe the reason why it's not censored might be that "fuck" is worse, the feeling behind it isn't a boolean value after all.
Quote:
When someone is angry, letting it out by shouting is psychologically proven to be healthy. In fact there are therapy groups where people come and shout their heads off. Also, in Om meditation there's a part where you supposed to shout and swear.
Ok I was unaware of studies of the subject, but you can't say I'm wrong. I've never said it's either way, I made an assumption (which you meant is scientifically proven wrong) and argued as if it was true. But what I wanted to point out was that other people, unaware of all "scientific facts" has a reasonable reason to want censorship.

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2009-11-07, 19:40
this's longer than allowe

shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker, tits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwelMWLBPik

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL3bRyFrrG8
Old 2009-11-07, 20:30
LBA2 Maestro

Quote:

What the fock dude, If a bird shits on your head, you'll be more angry than that I guess
It'll probably sound as a combo like: "ARRGGHH, FUCKin SHIT".
Old 2009-11-07, 21:15
Bamboo

Send a message via MSN to Jareth
With a hard accent on "SHIT"
Old 2009-11-08, 14:49
LBA fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtDemolition View Post
What the fock dude, If a bird shits on your head, you'll be more angry than that I guess
It'll probably sound as a combo like: "ARRGGHH, FUCKin SHIT".
I'd probably swear at the bird. Curse its generations.
Old 2009-11-08, 16:00
Look beyond reality.

Reminds me of Louis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N6Phmale_Q
Old 2009-11-08, 21:13
LBA2 Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bot13 View Post
Flower peddely lips or something
Old 2009-11-08, 21:32
this's longer than allowe

right see his videos.

nobody saw mine