Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > Fan Creations > Fan Creations - General
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Fan Creations - General The place for the creative LBA fans.

Old 2008-03-13, 00:40
Previously Link

LBA2 3D Chat

After spending a few weeks working on an island viewer with the help of Leslie's work in this thread. I've decided it's time to make my own thread.
So this project's aim is to make some sort of LBA2 online game.
Here are the different steps of development:
  1. LBA2 Island viewer
  2. Characters + Indoors (Grids)
  3. Simple chat client and server
  4. Gameplay features (with your help for ideas)

Here comes a screenshot of what I've got so far on the island viewer (this works for every island in LBA2):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_1.jpg‎
Views:	1460
Size:	385.9 KB
ID:	7389  
Old 2008-03-13, 14:28
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
Did you uncover the whole format for the LBA2 Island?

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2008-03-13, 17:07
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
wooooowwww how the hell did u make that ????
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2008-03-13, 17:16
Magic Ball Master

As you know from my PN I'd love to join the team if there will be one.
I'm gonna send you a few Ideas for the Interface soon.

Looks freakin' cool btw
Old 2008-03-13, 20:23
Previously Link

LBAWinOwns - No, if you look at Chez Luc you'll notice some badly textured triangles, and those are not alone. The lighting on objects with no textures doesn't take the object's orientation into account yet (ex: some trees look like the light comes from another place than the other trees). As for the textured objects, their lighting data are not loaded yet.

Quetch - Read this thread and this one.

leoboe - There will be no team before I manage to build a working prototype. Then we'll see... This project needs mostly programming skills (C++).
You can share your ideas now, so that we can discuss what you guys would like this chat to do, and what's feasible. But I repeat this, I need some time to load all needed resources from LBA2, design a protocol and build a client and server, etc. So maybe it's a bit early to talk about a team. But it's never too early to post ideas.
Old 2008-03-13, 20:45
Twinsunian Quetch

hmm so Link, are you into Torque now ???
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2008-03-13, 20:49
Previously Link

Héhé, not exactly, LBA2's rotations are simple
Old 2008-03-13, 21:16
Twinsunian Quetch

huh ? please make me understand what this is all about cause I saw some pictures with the Torque logo
Old 2008-03-13, 21:31
Previously Link

It's Ogre, not Torque, I though you were using the word torque...
Old 2008-03-13, 22:37
Twinsunian Quetch

ahhh Ogre sorry dunno what came with Torque so are u using that now ??? how are u and DarkBasic ???
Old 2008-03-13, 22:42
Previously Link

DarkBasic is good when beginning with programing, now I moved to the next step.
I've been making a lot of progress in 3 years (I'm studying computer science).
DarkBasic now seems so easy and limited.
Old 2008-03-13, 23:02
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
hey thats great link!
:O
i think i will use it for "Little Big Wars", taking screenshots of maps!
me and my brother are going to start working again on summer
Old 2008-03-13, 23:10
Previously Link

What language/game engine do you use for Little Big Wars ? I could easily make a API for LBA2 island loading for Ogre users, so you could directly use the models for LBW...
Old 2008-03-13, 23:24
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
my bro wants to do the whole engine in c++ so that he can also make a little editor for it
for now the character can move and attack, but they dont collide or go off the screen etc and AI is all to be done
btw the game will be in 2D so all we need is screenshots of the maps
Old 2008-03-14, 14:35
Twinsunian Quetch

lol it ain't limited have you seen the range of additional tools it now supports ??? I think it's the most complex engine ever ... you can now make use of:

- 2D Kit = complete set of 2D commands for a pure-2D engine
- Enhanced Anims - additional tools for animation manipulation with limbs, etc.
- Dark Shader - Pixel Shader made easy with Point & Click interface
- Dark Lights - Lightning support made easy
with Point & Click interface
- Dark A.I. - Artificial Intelligence made easy with Point & Click interface
- Dark Physics - Newtonian physics made easy with Point & Click interface
- STYX = ActiveX, Flash, XML and much more
- eXtends = Hundreds of exciting new commands
- Unity = LUA support for your games
- BlueGUI2 = Windows GUI and dialog commands
- EZRotate = Eulerian rotation support
- Enhancement Pack = OGG replay, File Blocks, EAX and more
- Texture Max = One model, infinite texture variations
- Nuclear Glory = Sliding collision and physics made easy
- Character Shop = Object animator with dozens of pre-defined animations
- SkyMatter - collection of skyboxes
- ExGen - Advanced particle studio
- Action3D - Reduce your objects' polycount
- ProMotion - Pixel-perfect art for your games
- T.ED = Terrain editor
- Cartography Shop = Level and map editor
- 3D World Studio = The next evolution in world building
- Dark Voices = Lip-sync support
- SFXEngine = Special sound effects studio
- DarkMatter - collection of classic games models
- SoundMatter - collection of classic game sounds
- TreeMagik = Make trees with ease
- PlantLife = Make plants, rocks and vegetation with ease

and many others but my hand hurts so I'll stop here
btw: Link, have you managed to make your own sliding collision system ??? or does Ogre have its own now ???

Last edited by Quetch; 2008-03-14 at 14:46.
Old 2008-03-14, 17:06
HMMV

Send a message via MSN to RobG
Hey Link, that's coming on great. Sounds like an interesting idea you have there.

I was wondering if you have thought about separating the land into sections. Basically largish square sections that can be rendered individually so you aren't always rendering the entire map if you are only looking at a small part of it. Just a thought towards performance optimization.

@Quetch: I think Link means limited in the sense that no matter how many features someone else's engine offers, coding your own is always more specific to your needs.

OGRE is a rendering engine not a game engine, so it will never have collision "built in" but it does have some helper functions and there are many free physics libraries out there that can be integrated.
Old 2008-03-14, 17:13
Twinsunian Quetch

yeah I've checked the site and I saw all that pitty it's not a true game engine as it looks promising ... anyway I don't think Link is trying to make his own ( are you link ? ) ... but if he does, that's a great step forward my friend
Old 2008-03-14, 19:54
Previously Link

@Quetch: Ogre is meant to be used not only by game creators, but everybody who needs to deal with 3d rendering. Using different frameworks for 3d rendering, collision detection, network, etc, allows much more flexibility. DarkBasic is good for what it is. But it's not a professional tool.
As for the game engine, I'll make my own. There is no other way on such project.

This project is particularly interesting for me because it's both LBA-related and it's full of commonly occurring software design problems to solve. This is a good way to study/review design patterns, conception, client/server network architecture. This also allows me to learn more about LBA2's file, 2D/3D game programing and reverse engineering.

@RobG: I've thought of separating the islands sections as they are separated in the *.ILE files. I'll have to rethink the way I build the mesh anyway, it's too slow as it is. I'll switch to hardware buffers now that I'm more familiar with LBA2's format and Ogre.

I'm currently thinking about how I will handle both 3D and 2D(isometric 3D) render in one single engine, trying to share a maximum of things, like collision detection. From what I've seen so far, Ogre is not good with 2D. I wonder how I could make a 2D engine and Ogre share the same viewport.
I'm considering switching to an OpenGL/SDL or DirectX/SDL solution (most likely OpenGL for future portability and because I've used it before, thought DirectX is a bit faster). That would permit more flexibility and I could use features like indexed colors and dithering which are not available in Ogre to have a render closer to the original game. What do you think ?
Old 2008-03-14, 20:55
Twinsunian Quetch

lol I know ... DarkBasic is just for games and it was designed mainly for that .... Ogre is a low-level API that can be implemented on many rendering-imposing projects ... but then again, it's not meant for games primarily ... DB is good because it can integrate many gaming-related software such as advanced physics simulators and has many game-related functionalities .... also, it is professional as many great games have been developed with it as you may already know Ogre, on the other hand beats the hell out of him regarding graphic rendering which cannot be compared with the one of DB .... but as you said, let's use them for what they are so I'll stick to DB for games and maybe switch to Ogre in a few months when I'll have to do some rendering projects
Old 2008-03-14, 21:29
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetch View Post
lol I know ... DarkBasic is just for games and it was designed mainly for that .... Ogre is a low-level API that can be implemented on many rendering-imposing projects ... but then again, it's not meant for games primarily ... DB is good because it can integrate many gaming-related software such as advanced physics simulators and has many game-related functionalities .... also, it is professional as many great games have been developed with it as you may already know Ogre, on the other hand beats the hell out of him regarding graphic rendering which cannot be compared with the one of DB .... but as you said, let's use them for what they are so I'll stick to DB for games and maybe switch to Ogre in a few months when I'll have to do some rendering projects
Please use full stops, that's impossible to read.
Old 2008-03-14, 21:44
Previously Link

DarkBasic doesn't have native support for those gaming-related softwares, it only allows you to integrate them. When working with C++, you have no such limitations.
The difference between DarkBasic and C++ with a rendering engine is the same difference as between playing with duplos and legos. It's hard to explain. It's just the next step.
I've started creating games with RPG Maker, then I switched to The Game Factory because it allowed doing more things, then I felt this was not enough so I decided to learn a programing language and I switched to DarkBasic, the next step was using the DarkBasic engine (Dark Game SDK) with a real programing language (C++), but I realized that was like trying to play legos with duplo's bricks.
So this is just the next step to professional game programing.
Old 2008-03-14, 22:14
Twinsunian Quetch

well yeah I mean that IS the next step but don't forget that DB is only a commercial limited version of an underneath system upon which FPSCreatorX10 was built ... so it allows much more flexibility, even more than the Ogre one ... so on short, both are limited in some ways but at the same time, both are made from a language which has, in theory, no limitations

Kobold: sorry it's just that I tend to write exactly how I would speak so whenever you see endless ....., please note that those are intonation marks
Old 2008-03-14, 23:23
Previously Link

I think you don't really know what ogre is, and you can't compare BASIC with C++...
---
How about a isometric LBA2 ? (Just experimenting with Ogre's orthographic projection...)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_1.jpg‎
Views:	830
Size:	400.4 KB
ID:	7390  
Old 2008-03-15, 00:22
Father of Shoda

Now thats cool but I, personally would rather see a chat world of lba in full 3d

Listen to my band's EP on one of the following links!

Check it out:
https://soundcloud.com/inglorious-da...orious-days-ep
http://ingloriousdays.bandcamp.com/
http://open.spotify.com/album/3C1idn10yT06VK0qPiusku
Old 2008-03-15, 06:23
Twinsunian Quetch

yep, isometric has run its time and why use it anyway as iso is just a coverup for fake 3d ... so especially because you have Ogre now, 3D should be exploited to its maximum