Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > LBA Modifications > LBA Modifications - General
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 2005-07-27, 22:38
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

UFO Better videos?

Hi,

I started to play LBA again but this time I played the Playstation version, and it seems to me that the videos are better than in the PC version, less pixelated. Maybe it's the TV screen or maybe it's been too long since I played the PC version (and I can't install it for nom, or else I would have checked myself). The format on my Playstation cd for the videos is *.str, while for the PC version the format is *.fla.

So I was thinking maybe someone could find a way to make the PC version read the Playstation videos, and this way we could have better videos. The videos are the only thing that look a little dated in LBA.

So anyone thinks it would be cool?

Thanks

Edit : I just checked and the Playstation video files are bigger than the PC ones. So I guess the quality is better and I wasn't imagining things.
Old 2005-07-28, 07:28
Gobbles the bush turkey

It's probably just the affect that the picture makes on television monitors.
If you have an AV-out cable coming from your computer, and you connect it to the tv, and thus set it up so that the tv is the primary monitor,
You will notice that the image isn't as sharp, but blurs the pixels together and enriches the colour, instead of of just pixelating it by making the picture sharp.

Try playing games like "Oddword: Abe's oddysey, and Abe's Exodus" they were intended to be played first on playstation, and were later ported to the PC, so they don't look quite as good on the pc monitor, but look great on tv's.

As for the files being larger, they could be a more primitive video format, because the playstation couldn't play the type of compressed file, it had to be a simple, non-compressed form.
You could be right also, being re-released in 1997, could mean the total oppisite of what i suggested, and instead they could of used a more advanced compression method, which means nicer, larger videos.
Old 2005-07-28, 13:09

Yeah as I said maybe it's just the TV screen but I thought someone would know. But as you say it might be true. Still worth finding out I think...

(And it's funny that you talk of Abe, because those are the two other games I dug out to play again. Great games, and close in spirit to LBA)
Old 2005-07-28, 13:20
Gobbles the bush turkey

Exactly the same thing here, Oddworld and LBA are my favourite game universes. If you've got abe on pc, then try playing it in the way i suggested, on the tv with a gamepad, it's so much better.
Old 2005-07-28, 13:41

I've got Abe on Playstation so it's alright.

Anyway I'm making research on str files to see if I can work out something.

Edit : I've found a str to avi converter. Which isn't much but maybe... Someone more skilled than me would know better I think.

Last edited by Tony; 2005-07-28 at 14:06.
Old 2005-07-28, 15:54

Alright I think I was right. I converted one str files (baffe.str) to avi. I obtained a 17mo file.
I read it and the quality was great so I don't think it came from the TV screen. Then I read baffe.fla with LBA Screen Viewer and this one wasn't as good.
That means there's a way to get better videos. Either by having the game read avi files (is it even possible?) or by converting the str fils to avi and then to fla.
Concerning the second solution I searched for fla files and I found something to do with Flash but I think it's something else and the fla format was something invented by Adeline, only for LBA. Am I right?
Old 2005-07-28, 17:49
Tomorrow burns!

Send a message via MSN to Illumina
We'll see, until someone uses the TV as a PC monitor.
I think that it's wise to question anyone or anything who thinks that they have the answer. The ultimate sum of all natural laws comprise the concept of God. And I'd have to be smarter than I am to describe it. The only way to enjoy life is to enjoy it and not to try to spend your time to deconstruct it. Ultimately, on the most of tombstones it should read: "Humans: Fretted, worried, prayed, procreated, sacrificed, died anyway." - Devin Townsend
Old 2005-08-01, 14:33
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony
Alright I think I was right. I converted one str files (baffe.str) to avi. I obtained a 17mo file.
I read it and the quality was great so I don't think it came from the TV screen. Then I read baffe.fla with LBA Screen Viewer and this one wasn't as good.
That means there's a way to get better videos. Either by having the game read avi files (is it even possible?) or by converting the str fils to avi and then to fla.
Concerning the second solution I searched for fla files and I found something to do with Flash but I think it's something else and the fla format was something invented by Adeline, only for LBA. Am I right?
Yes, you right. PS version have better movies. The large file size its because the str files contain music inside, thing that the *.fla movies don't. Musics are in separated *.HQR file.
Both file formats are with similar video sizes (320x192 for STR and 320x200 for FLA) and the only change we could see and tell that have more quality its because the number of colors used by the PS version. This version have more than the 256 colors we have in the game and thats the reason. Anyway we can't have a better quality in the PC version because the amount of colors used by the engine.

About the Macromedia Flash *.FLA files, its a totally different thing.
Btw, can you post here the program you use to convert str2avi? I have some progs to see that but all don't display the movies right.

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2005-08-01, 16:16

Well too bad. Thanks for the answer
Here's the program. The name is PSXMC, there might be a more recent version out there but this one works :
http://www.h-mkb.com/cgi-bin/lime/li...&name=PsxMC321
Old 2005-08-01, 16:30
Magic Ball Master

Thanks. The prog is nice

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website