Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2007-04-04, 20:50
Master of Science & Magic

Mario 64, well not 100%, didn't 100 coins in each level and didn't get the red coins in the bowser levels. SMW is much much much better. Level design wasn't great at all. And the camera was aweful.
Old 2007-04-04, 20:51
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to johnnybrubacker
yea, its a bit of an overrated game, still a great game though
Old 2007-04-04, 20:54
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Send a message via MSN to proto-pack Send a message via Yahoo to proto-pack
i never played it

Vote for lba on good old games!

http://www.gog.com/en/wishlist/

Watch my video about it!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=P4dZH7Mmdno

Multi bunny owns!
(\__/)
(O.O )
(> < )
Old 2007-04-04, 21:39
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Muerte View Post
Mario 64, well not 100%, didn't 100 coins in each level and didn't get the red coins in the bowser levels. SMW is much much much better. Level design wasn't great at all. And the camera was aweful.
I agree on that. Super Mario Sunshine was a lot better, but still no comparsion to the classic side-scrollers.

Mario RPGs turn out pretty good though.
Old 2007-04-06, 14:01
Member #174

Send a message via MSN to Assassin
Well I just finished Simon the Sorcerer 4 (in German because there's no English version yet but I was really looking forward to this game so I decided to play it in German anyway). It's a pretty good game, a lot better than Simon3D. It reminds more of Simon 2. From time to time the game also refers to the older games. There's really only two things in the game I don't like.

First of all, Spoiler:
at the beginning of the game when you get back to the dimension in which the Simon games play you notice there's this character who looks completely like you and is also called Simon. Kind of like a body double, only this guy is very orderly and nice and stuff while Simon is not. But everybody mistakes him for Simon so when you enter the game you'll think, who the hell is he? Now the problem I have with this is, I've played through the game but I still have no idea who he is. There is no explanation for this (or I must have missed it in all that German but I don't think I did.)

I think he's that alter-ego which was at the ending of Simon3D. It's been a while since I finished that game though and I'm not really sure how it ended anymore. I still think it's weird though because Simon says in the game aswell he has to find out who he is and why he's acting like he is him. But you never get an answer to that.

But the worst thing is Spoiler:
Sordid isn't in the game. The main bad guy is not in the game. I really don't like that. After finishing the game I was like "eh? I didn't get to see the bad guy yet o_O". It's like Monkey Island without LeChuck. There's no mention of him at all in the game. So whatever happened to him then? He didn't die or anything in one of the older games.

There's this other bad guy called Kalaba which I believed only to be a side-badguy. Like some kind of minion of Sordid. He looked like one anyway. But it seemed he wasn't. Anyway, I thought this was really stupid, not having the bad guy in the game. I really feel like I didn't finish the game now since I didn't get any closure. I want to see and fight Sordid again damnit!

It's a pretty good adventure game though. Also a pretty good Simon game. When the English version get released you should give it a try. It's worth it.
Old 2007-04-06, 14:24
Magic Ball Master

Simon 3D's storyline idea and setting was pretty ok.

Of course, graphics sucked ass, and it was totally buggy.
Old 2007-04-06, 15:34

and the interface and world design was aweful.
Old 2007-04-06, 15:54
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
I agree on that. Super Mario Sunshine was a lot better,
O_o
SMS was many times worse then Mario64.
Far more repedative. 3/4 of the game is either coin-collecting or racing!

Mario64 gave a lot more original challanges per level.
Yes, it had camera issues, but this was one of the first 3D platformers ever made, so they were pretty much working from scratch.
Mario64 also had a far greater sense of exploration then Sunshine.Getting too a new floor in the castle felt like an achievement, and the whole world was cramed full of secrets.
Sunshine didnt have any of that. Things that should have felt fun (yoshi) just turned out too be annoying.

Mario64 was a labour of love, the N64 and game designed around eachother.
Sunshine was clearly, by comparison, rushed out too help boast flagging cube sales. (at the time, many complained about the system not launching with a mario game. Daft buggers. Lugia's Mansion was much more of a better game then SMS)

MarioWorld can certainly be argued is better then 64.
But Sunshine better then 64? no no no no.
and no.
Old 2007-04-06, 19:26
Magic Ball Master

Your opinion...

Last game I played was Twilight Princess... I'm in the Water Temple, and the game shows no signs to stop anytime soon
Old 2007-04-06, 22:38
weee

Finished Splinter Cell Double agent..
Spoiler:
But I got the bad ending because I didn't want that main bad dude to shoot Enrica. Rats.
Old 2007-04-06, 22:51
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Well, I guess if you like coin collecting SMS is better then Mario64
The only things really better in SMS compared to Mario64 (aside from graphics, yada yada) is the Boss fights.
Id give credit that sunshine had far more creative boss's.
Old 2007-04-06, 22:52
Magic Ball Master

The coin collecting is of course the worst part of SMS, still have to do it.
Old 2007-04-06, 23:06
Member #174

SMS was pretty good. I liked the levels more than Mario64 aswell actually. They were more lively. Never got to collecting all the Shinesprites. There's this really hard mission in the harbor in which you need to get a yoshi and then freeze fishes jumping out of the water at the exact right point to jump to it. I thought it was really frustrating.

Anyway, started playing Zelda II. It's still pretty hard altough I find I'm getting kind of good at it now, I think I found the right way to do it. It's still pretty hard and it needs some skill, but apart from that, it's still just another RPG. You can level up to make Link stronger. It may take a while but still, it helps a lot. It's really not a game you should rush through.
Old 2007-04-07, 02:19
Classic

Quote:
Never got to collecting all the Shinesprites.
But isnt this the point?
I went over Mario64 and got all 120stars, I did the same in the DS version.
On Sunshine, I never bothered.
Heck, I dont even know if something special happens if you get them all.

And,yes, couldnt agree more with that Yoshi bit.
Was, like 10 times harder then the rest of the game put together

Sunshine, imo, is just a clasic example of a rushed game.
Its like they made a load of landscapes and wernt given enough time to fill them up with stuff too do. (hence all the coin collecting).
Needed another 6 months to development too add more interesting content too the game, basicaly.
Old 2007-04-07, 11:17
Magic Ball Master

After thousands of tries, I managed to beat the Yoshi mission however.

Only shines left for me are a few blue coin sprites. Currently counting 116 shines.

The game had a lot of gimmicks which weren't really helpful in the game, such as Turbo Nozzle and Yoshi.
Old 2007-04-08, 00:21
Because I said so

The last game I played was Farenheit, or Indigo Prophecy. Why do they have to change the names of games when they are released in others countries? Its so annoying!
Old 2007-04-08, 00:29

the reason why they called in Indigo Prophecy was because of the Fahrenheit 9/11 documentary that was such a controversary in the US,
Old 2007-04-08, 00:33
Because I said so

El, you really are the wisdom machine :P
How come you seem to know.. everything?
Old 2007-04-08, 00:40

I have this great tool called the internet, and well.. when you're reading about certain things and follow a link or three you come by stuff like that.
Old 2007-04-08, 11:28
Member #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
But isnt this the point?
I went over Mario64 and got all 120stars, I did the same in the DS version.
On Sunshine, I never bothered.
Heck, I dont even know if something special happens if you get them all.

And,yes, couldnt agree more with that Yoshi bit.
Was, like 10 times harder then the rest of the game put together

Sunshine, imo, is just a clasic example of a rushed game.
Its like they made a load of landscapes and wernt given enough time to fill them up with stuff too do. (hence all the coin collecting).
Needed another 6 months to development too add more interesting content too the game, basicaly.
Yeah I got all 150 stars in Mario 64 DS aswell. It might be a batter game but still I like the setting in SMS better. It felt more like you were on a real island which was alive, rather than a deserted castle with paintings to jump into.

Anyway, still working on Zelda 2. I got all items and magic. Got all Heart pieces and Magic containers. Got Link to the highest possible level in everything (only 8 it seems). All I have to do now is go to the final dungeon and finish it. But right now I have the same problem I get a lot when playing games lately. When nearing the end I get bored with it.
Old 2007-04-08, 15:11
Magic Ball Master

SMS may have not been better than SM64, but it was still a great game. The levels were a tad homogenous, yes, but they all looked lovely nonetheless. And one thing that I didn't realise until a few years after buying with it is that it's a great game to muck around with. Seriously, I once had a whole week of virtually nothing to do and I spent many an hour just messing around in the different stages, not even doing the tasks to get shines. I can't remember exactly what I did do, all that I can recall is that I had great fun doing it.

Also SMS had one really brilliant idea, those stages where the backpack was taken away from you. Fucking hard at some points, but brilliant pure platforming fun.

If you want to talk about a Nintendo game on the GC that was rushed though, the best example has to be Wind Waker. Although it was still another great game, it was very clear the game could have used another few dungeons and that certain elements (finding the Triforce piece maps, and then the pieces themselves, oh God that was awful) were being used to stretch the game out to make up for it.
Old 2007-04-08, 15:31
Member #174

To be honest with you I liked WW better than TP. It was rushed yes, but same as for SMS it was more lively imo. Like Windfall island, that place was really alive. Then look at Kakariko in TP. Not many characters and the ones who were there weren't very interesting. I still think TP could have been a lot more. It really felt way too empty. Same for WW but less. It might have been filled with water but the islands that were in it were all fun to be on. TP isn't that much greater, instead of water there are huge empty fields, but the towns that are in it aren't that fun to be in I think. On windfall island I could walk around for hours just messing around like Bush just stated for SMS. I can't do that in Kakariko in TP or Hyrule town. Same for SMS as Bush just said, it's a great game to muck around with. TP is not. I agree the levels of TP were better that the ones of WW but the game overall was worse. I need more in a Zelda game than nice dungeons. I want a game I can keep walking around in after finishing it doing stuff. I could do this in WW. After finishing it I still kept playing the game for days. After finishing TP I walked around for another few hours and then put the game back into it's case.
Old 2007-04-08, 19:03
Classic

What island in TWW is more "alive" then Hyrule?
Hyrule has soo many people doing so many things, and I still chuckle when you run in as a wolf. Also chucking bones for the dog, or playing with the cats string.
The only downside for me is you couldnt talk to the people running around. That should have at least had a generic answer.

And there is *far* more stuff to mess around with in TP.

Personally, I still have more hearth pieces too get, still gotta finishing the savage dungeon, still gotta get the last few bugs, still gotta finish the last few "tilting game" levels in the fishing hut and am absolutely certain I can beat my score on the flying game with another go or twelve.
Oh, and got a few more fish to catch too.

I have spent months finnishing off TP and still havnt done it all. It has much more minigames then WindWaker, it has a wonderfull fishing side game, it was loads of little replayably bits all over the place.

Its got a lot less collecting then Wind Waker (just bugs), but I dont see how its got less too do outside of dungeons

So, What has WindWaker got that you can "mess around with" more then TP ?

I really cant think of much at all too mess around with in TWW

oh, and the big difference, incidently, between riding and sailing is you can do stuff *while* you are riding. On the boat you had too stop. (something they have fixed for the Zelda: Phantom Hourglass , Nintendo learn from their mistakes)

Horse riding, mostly for this reason, completely ownz sailing.
Not to mention the fact you can also ride the WarHog's.
Not a big deal, but a very nice little edition, imo.

Quote:
If you want to talk about a Nintendo game on the GC that was rushed though, the best example has to be Wind Waker. Although it was still another great game, it was very clear the game could have used another few dungeons and that certain elements (finding the Triforce piece maps, and then the pieces themselves, oh God that was awful) were being used to stretch the game out to make up for it.
Absolutely true.
In some case's you can see were dungeons were removed too.
(when you are just given a pearl, for instance).

Nintendo said they want the game shorter and more accessibly, but frankly, its pretty obvious it was rushed out too try to boast cube sales.
I cant belief any game testing team would say;

"This is a great game ,but theres too much content...remove a few dungoens and add more stuff to collect!!!"

Reportable there was 3 dungeons cut, which would make sense as that would put it closer too the number of a typical Zelda game length.

I suspect also, the first dungeon in TP is an adaption of bits cut from TWW.
The wind-boomerang being a sub for the wind waker.

Quote:
Also SMS had one really brilliant idea, those stages where the backpack was taken away from you. Fucking hard at some points, but brilliant pure platforming fun.
That I agree with.
I think i mentioned before Id like Nintendo too make a cheap game thats just a huge number of those levels and nothing else
Old 2007-04-08, 19:32
Magic Ball Master

Sunshine secret levels hard?
I'm currently playing Super Mario Bros. 1 & 2(jp), that's what's "hard".
Old 2007-04-08, 20:03
Member #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
What island in TWW is more "alive" then Hyrule?
Hyrule has soo many people doing so many things, and I still chuckle when you run in as a wolf. Also chucking bones for the dog, or playing with the cats string.
The only downside for me is you couldnt talk to the people running around. That should have at least had a generic answer.

And there is *far* more stuff to mess around with in TP.

Personally, I still have more hearth pieces too get, still gotta finishing the savage dungeon, still gotta get the last few bugs, still gotta finish the last few "tilting game" levels in the fishing hut and am absolutely certain I can beat my score on the flying game with another go or twelve.
Oh, and got a few more fish to catch too.

I have spent months finnishing off TP and still havnt done it all. It has much more minigames then WindWaker, it has a wonderfull fishing side game, it was loads of little replayably bits all over the place.

Its got a lot less collecting then Wind Waker (just bugs), but I dont see how its got less too do outside of dungeons

So, What has WindWaker got that you can "mess around with" more then TP ?

I really cant think of much at all too mess around with in TWW

oh, and the big difference, incidently, between riding and sailing is you can do stuff *while* you are riding. On the boat you had too stop. (something they have fixed for the Zelda: Phantom Hourglass , Nintendo learn from their mistakes)

Horse riding, mostly for this reason, completely ownz sailing.
Not to mention the fact you can also ride the WarHog's.
Not a big deal, but a very nice little edition, imo.\
I'm not saying WW is the best Zelda game I ever played, I just liked it better than TP. I think the characters of WW had more characteristics and weren't just generic NPCs like you could see walking around in Hyrule town which don't even talk to you like you already stated.

I loved Windfall island with it's windmill. I simply love the environment of such a small beautiful living community. Maybe it's just that I like those colorful things more than the 'realistic' once lately (VGCats did a comic about this lately *click* "Haven't you heard? Real is brown.") Might also be the reason why I like SMS. It just seems really colorful and peaceful. And personally I just like walking around in such an environment more.

Tags
games, videogames