Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > The site and forum
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The site and forum Place your comments about the Magic Ball Network here. Talk here about the Magicball Network and the forum.

Old 2016-10-25, 03:11
FreemanQC

Send a message via MSN to gravel22
Why not a new theme for MBN?

I guess there are more "HD" and recent themes to vbulletin.

Could we enhance the website?

thegearpage.net have just enhanced their forum some time ago and it's perfect!

My 2 cents
Little Big Adventure Former World Record Holder (53:40:80) see on Twitch below

I'm a LBA speedrunner find me on and SPEEDRUN.COM subscribe to my twitch channel.

Last edited by gravel22; 2016-10-25 at 04:42.
Old 2016-10-25, 03:22
Amnesti

I think you need to fix your link. Cause right now it leads to some weird ad website!
last place LBA ANY% 52:59
https://www.twitch.tv/amnesti

Citadel Island in Unity
https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=17983
Old 2016-10-25, 04:42
FreemanQC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MevX View Post
I think you need to fix your link. Cause right now it leads to some weird ad website!
Sorry it was .net !!

I'm a LBA speedrunner find me on and SPEEDRUN.COM subscribe to my twitch channel.
Old 2016-10-25, 17:47
Neko

does it require installing a new version of vbullitin?

Not quite sure i can install new skins or if only El can do that
Old 2016-10-25, 19:39
FreemanQC

I just saw that The Gear Page use XenForo forum platform.

You could switch on a XenForo platform too and import data from vBulletion with their importer : https://xenforo.com/help/importing/

Also I've noticed that vBulletin have a new better looking version as you can see here in this video :

But in my opinion I find vBulletin awful, still an update would make it really look better.

Old 2016-10-25, 19:45
FreemanQC

Also read this, everyone on internet says to not use vbulletin

https://xenforo.com/community/thread...xenforo.53616/

Old 2016-10-26, 12:09
Neko

Well as i am not the site owner, only El can migrate to a new forum or install updates etc.
Old 2016-10-26, 18:33
FreemanQC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Well as i am not the site owner, only El can migrate to a new forum or install updates etc.
He's he still there a little? He's not active anymore on the forum.

Hope he could update this!

Old 2016-10-26, 20:55
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Heck, you could migrate to MyBB (I think it supports converting from vBulletin), has mostly the same features as vBulletin 3, looks better, and it's free.
Old 2016-10-27, 13:39
Neko

I'm all for updates. But we need El. He did reply to the mbn meet so at least he's somewhat active
Old 2016-10-27, 20:57
FreemanQC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler View Post
Heck, you could migrate to MyBB (I think it supports converting from vBulletin), has mostly the same features as vBulletin 3, looks better, and it's free.
In my opinion if El isn't active a lot it could lead to issues. Free stuff = often bad support or only community support. I had troubles with BoxBilling and it was a paid software LOL. So I think it's better to have something that is reknown.

Hi think you're right though on not paying for the new vBulletin. Lots of bad reviews that says that it's unstable and SLOW. vBulletin for me is an old software that belongs to the past.

XenForo is definitely a safe choice for a stable and worth it upgrade.

Old 2016-10-27, 20:57
FreemanQC

Quote:
I'm all for updates. But we need El. He did reply to the mbn meet so at least he's somewhat active
Can you contact him? Like on Facebook or something like that? Email?

Old 2016-10-28, 15:34
Neko

just did that, hope he sees it
Old 2016-10-29, 15:58
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravel22
Free stuff = often bad support or only community support.
Maybe that's precisely because people prefer spending money on commercial products rather than using free products and making a voluntary monetary donation to them every now and then?
Old 2016-10-30, 17:21
Magic Ball Master

What does the new versions bring compared to this one? Is it worst it?

I think for this update we all need to contribute because we have to pay an upgrade fee. Not sure the licenses are still the same.

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website

Last edited by xesf; 2016-10-30 at 17:29.
Old 2016-10-30, 20:59
FreemanQC

Quote:
Maybe that's precisely because people prefer spending money on commercial products rather than using free products and making a voluntary monetary donation to them every now and then?
Sorry man I can't agree with this. I gave the chance to BoxBilling and Ubuntu which are the 2 open source things I've used in my life (from what I remember). They failed to prove me that it's a reliable system. Free stuff = troubleshooting. No time for that shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xesf View Post

I think for this update we all need to contribute because we have to pay an upgrade fee. Not sure the licenses are still the same.
Yes there's a fee and no the new version of vBulletin is bad, real bad. That's why I suggest XenForo which need to be paid too. I can contribute to the new system if it ever goes a reality.

Old 2016-10-31, 18:59
Welcome to Zirla!

Quote:
Sorry man I can't agree with this. I gave the chance to BoxBilling and Ubuntu which are the 2 open source things I've used in my life (from what I remember). They failed to prove me that it's a reliable system. Free stuff = troubleshooting. No time for that shit.
If you don't have the time to actively maintain something, don't start it in the first place.

Also, I've never had bad experience with support regarding phpBB, heck, I've even had the phpBB developers helping me solve problems with the software, and from what I heart, MyBB support is even better.

That, and so far in the last 10 years, this forum hasn't needed much support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xesf
Upgrading to a new version that has long fixed the security vulnerabilities the current version has is ALWAYS worth it.

Quote:
Or convert to MyBB which has all the features this forum needs and is free.
Old 2016-11-01, 02:36
FreemanQC

Quote:
If you don't have the time to actively maintain something, don't start it in the first place.
Sorry man but no. I have a business and my customers and I have no time to have a buggy open source billing system. It has cause many problems to my business and it was sold like a good experience even if open source.

As for my Linux experience it was simply a non productive system for what I needed to accomplish. It serves me for other's thing though. Like backup files from a corrupted drive in Windows. Linux scores for people who have time and knowledge to work with.

On the other hand a billing software and a forum involves many people. I don't think everyone would like to rely on a open source software. That's why I think paying a small fee sometimes is really worth time.

Old 2016-11-02, 02:08
Polly parrot

This issue comes up every now and then, but I think there aren't enough people seeing what avantages an upgrade would have...
Old 2016-11-02, 11:25
Neko

just for security reasons alone upgrading sounds good to me
Old 2016-11-02, 20:02
FreemanQC

Quote:
just for security reasons alone upgrading sounds good to me
It's a good thing for security reasons yes but the new version of vBulletion seems horrible from these reviews.

https://fr.trustpilot.com/review/www.vbulletin.com

Don't make the mistake to spend cash on a vbulletin update.

I'll contribute to any good upgrade/migration.

Old 2016-11-18, 18:59
Welcome to Zirla!

Quote:
Sorry man but no. I have a business and my customers and I have no time to have a buggy open source billing system. It has cause many problems to my business and it was sold like a good experience even if open source.
You have a business, ie. you are being paid. This forum is not a business, so the two situations can't be compared at all. Also, you haven't yet provided any kind of evidence for why phpBB and MyBB specifically are bad. A generalization like the one you're making is a logical fallacy.

Quote:
As for my Linux experience it was simply a non productive system for what I needed to accomplish. It serves me for other's thing though. Like backup files from a corrupted drive in Windows. Linux scores for people who have time and knowledge to work with.
Well of course, Linux is better at some things and worse at others.

Quote:
On the other hand a billing software and a forum involves many people. I don't think everyone would like to rely on a open source software. That's why I think paying a small fee sometimes is really worth time.
Again, please provide solid evidence for why you think specifically phpBB and MyBB support is bad, which I wholeheartedly disagree with based on my own direct experience. Just because you had support problems with other open-source products, it doesn't mean all open-source products have the same problems. A generalization like the one you're making is a logical fallacy.

And in the end, if the forum staff can't bother with obtaining support for phpBB or MyBB, they can always hire me to do it on their behalf.
Old 2016-11-18, 21:07
FreemanQC

Quote:
Again, please provide solid evidence for why you think specifically phpBB and MyBB support is bad, which I wholeheartedly disagree with based on my own direct experience. Just because you had support problems with other open-source products, it doesn't mean all open-source products have the same problems. A generalization like the one you're making is a logical fallacy.
Well yes this is generalization. But yet I can only tell I've either got complex "techy" answers or simply no answers with open source stuff.

We both have our ideas and that's correct.

Old 2016-11-20, 02:24
Polly parrot

Are you using "correct" the way you use it in Québeqian French ? In that case you're better off using "good".
These kind of things (words that exist in 2 languages but with different meanings) are called fake friends in French, the most notable example is eventually/éventuellement.
In English it means it will happen for sure, where as in French it mean it might happen.

(Sorry, I love languages )
Old 2016-11-20, 06:21
FreemanQC

Thanks Polaris! Yes I mean good.