Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > LBA Modifications > LBA Modifications - General

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 2021-03-15, 21:42
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Twinsen LBA2Maya - LBA2 to Maya Importer

Hi guys!
The Symphonic Suite inspired me to finish my LBA2 to Maya 2020 importer, hope you guys enjoy it!

https://github.com/b-tuma/LBA2Maya

There is some tweaks to do and configs to implement, but it is working pretty well so far.
I'm looking forward to suggestions and feedback, and an Unity integration is already in the works!
Old 2021-03-15, 23:44
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
I love you!!! I've been asking for this for the past 16 years when u'll polish it up the way you want and fix whatever bugs it might still have, it'll be the best reverse engineering tool this community has seen in years haven't tried it yet since I don't have Maya anymore but for sure I will give it a go
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2021-03-16, 03:18

I love you too Quetch!
I've tried to make it work with Blender, but never managed to get the animations in. I still have the blender importer with palette and rigging support if it's useful.

By the way, I've managed to export to unity with the help of another importing script that I'll be uploading at a later date, here is a sneak peek:

Sorry for the amateur recording

I was originally trying to do a remake with Unity, but soon the workload got too big and since we already have the LBA2Remake, I decided to change the focus to a project that could potentially pay bills.

I've also made a tool to help AI Enhance the internal environment sprites, and then split them back to bricks just like the original ones but larger, and some handcrafted normal maps too, man going too big was my mistake hahahaha

Last edited by Dotflyer; 2021-03-16 at 03:20. Reason: messed up the links
Old 2021-03-16, 13:50
Polly parrot

Forgive my ignorance, but what's Maya ?
Old 2021-03-16, 16:03

Autodesk Maya is a 3D modeling/animation/rendering tool similar to 3ds Max and Blender. Sadly it's expensive as hell.
Old 2021-03-17, 02:35
Polly parrot

Huh, this is pretty impressive work indeed :O
Old 2021-03-19, 00:30
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
dude, that thing with the normal maps, ON TOP of the animation exporter... WOW!!! :O u'll soon enable us to remake every fiber of LBA2 (my favorite... always was, always will be)
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2021-03-20, 09:07
Look beyond reality.

I love everything about this! Great importer, great work on those normal maps (what's your process?) and really awesome AI upressing on those bricks. Any chance that last thing can be automated for all the games' content and somehow applied in a working build?
Old 2021-03-20, 12:28
Lba1+2=3

This looks great Dotflyer!

You mention having something for Blender, would you be willing to post that? Even just having the rig would be an improvement on my STL exporter. I'm 3D printing a bunch of the characters and it's tricky finding a decent pose that will print well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210220_231238.jpg‎
Views:	102
Size:	513.8 KB
ID:	10348   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210226_233256.jpg‎
Views:	99
Size:	508.8 KB
ID:	10349  
^^^
Old 2021-03-20, 17:26
Polly parrot

Oh. My. God.

Please print and send me that small motorboat we find after getting the clearwater lake water in LBA1 !!!!
Seriously, how much would that cost ?
Old 2021-03-20, 22:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQuetch View Post
This is a really neat tool! I actually wrote my own Blender Python script for exporting custom models to the original LBA2 model format. I've got a character pack in another thread: https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=18505
@MrQuetch Now THIS is some amazing stuff! You haven't implemented animations yet right? I was having a lot of trouble making them work with Blender, but actually I don't remember exactly what was the issue... I think it was related to the rotation of the bones, the logic to storing the rotation information seems to differ a lot between Maya and Blender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bot13 View Post
I love everything about this! Great importer, great work on those normal maps (what's your process?) and really awesome AI upressing on those bricks. Any chance that last thing can be automated for all the games' content and somehow applied in a working build?
I was using SpriteIlluminator to create the normal maps, and got the sprites from a slightly modded version of LBArchitect (I just changed a button from export to batch export to make my job easier). The AI upscaling can be easily automated but I have no idea of how to implement them in the original game, maybe the lba2remake could support it? I made a small application to slice the upscaled sprites back to bricks so that would not be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lba1&2 View Post
This looks great Dotflyer!

You mention having something for Blender, would you be willing to post that? Even just having the rig would be an improvement on my STL exporter. I'm 3D printing a bunch of the characters and it's tricky finding a decent pose that will print well.
I will be uploading the Blender version soon, the only issue with that version is the missing animation importer, but the rigging is working so you can at least pose the models.

Last edited by Dotflyer; 2021-03-20 at 22:39. Reason: Quotes
Old 2021-03-21, 00:10
Lba1+2=3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Oh. My. God.

Please print and send me that small motorboat we find after getting the clearwater lake water in LBA1 !!!!
Seriously, how much would that cost ?
Unfortunately it's not as easy for me to extract the LBA1 models compared to LBA2. There does exist a script for Blender but it doesn't work with 2.8 and my method relies on the lba2remake engine which doesn't quite support LBA1 enough for it to work properly :/
^^^
Old 2021-03-21, 11:18
Magic Ball Master

Saw it the other day on Facebook.
Amazing work Dotflyer!!

Having access to both the models and animations will allow a lot of people to use either Unity or UE to create new adventures.

In terms of sprites/bricks we did had an idea to upscale them, but lately we are replacing them with full 3D models to allow the Isometric scenes to go full 3D. The results are excellent and bring a different side of the LBA World.

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2021-03-21, 18:09

Quote:
Unfortunately it's not as easy for me to extract the LBA1 models compared to LBA2. There does exist a script for Blender but it doesn't work with 2.8 and my method relies on the lba2remake engine which doesn't quite support LBA1 enough for it to work properly :/
Fear not, there is a new branch on the block:
blender-lba [API 2.8+]
I'm still updating the API calls but the body importer is working now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xesf View Post
Saw it the other day on Facebook.
Amazing work Dotflyer!!

Having access to both the models and animations will allow a lot of people to use either Unity or UE to create new adventures.

In terms of sprites/bricks we did had an idea to upscale them, but lately we are replacing them with full 3D models to allow the Isometric scenes to go full 3D. The results are excellent and bring a different side of the LBA World.
xesf, my mind blew up when I opened the lba2remake last week, I couldn't believe you were going for full 3D in the isometric scenes. At first, I though it was some algorithmic black magic until I realized the sheer amount of work that was being put in use.
This should allow a new lightning engine in the future, right? I did the normal maps so that this could happen in Unity, and I even had some mild success with a shader to translate the light direction from the real sprite's rotation the fake isometric rotation, but there were too many issues popping up for my limited rendering knowledge.
Old 2021-03-21, 23:40
Polly parrot

Quote:
Oh yeah, that's LBA2 FunFrock, now that you mention it...

Aww, bummer
Do write me though if one day you manage to pull it off please
Old 2021-03-24, 00:22
Lba1+2=3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotflyer View Post
Fear not, there is a new branch on the block:
blender-lba [API 2.8+]
I'm still updating the API calls but the body importer is working now.
Ooh nice! Let me know when you've updated the API calls! (Really I should stop being lazy and just fix my exporter to apply the animation transforms correctly )
^^^
Old 2021-04-16, 20:36

s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotflyer View Post
Hi guys!
The Symphonic Suite inspired me to finish my LBA2 to Maya 2020 importer, hope you guys enjoy it!

https://github.com/b-tuma/LBA2Maya

There is some tweaks to do and configs to implement, but it is working pretty well so far.
I'm looking forward to suggestions and feedback, and an Unity integration is already in the works!

wow can i see the code used in unity ?
Old 2021-05-13, 20:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
wow can i see the code used in unity ?

Sorry for the delay!
The code is in the unity folder from the repository, you need to place it anywhere within your unity project, but it currently works in a very convoluted way:
-When you import a model with my plugin, a long line will appear in the Maya's script editor (something like: ###Start;0.0;0.9....).
-You gotta copy this line and save it as a CSV file (just paste it in notepad and it will work)
-Then, you need to export the model with Maya's Game Exporter (Maybe it will work exporting with other means but this is what I used), make sure to select "Export to Single File" and check the box "Animation", you don't need to open the other tabs btw.
-Save it in the same folder as your CSV file, and then SELECT BOTH the .fbx and .csv files, dragging them simultaneously to the Unity window. The script will kick in and parse the .csv data into the .fbx.

I'm sure there's a better way to do this, but Unity doesn't seems to support the fbx animation clips, so this is the way I found to debug this quickly.