Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > LBA Projects > Twinsuniverse > Encyclopedia Twinsunica
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Encyclopedia Twinsunica The Encyclopedia Twinsunica is the older version of the Twinsuniverse, about the world of the LBA games.

Old 2007-04-24, 11:18
Magic level: Ice Ball

Send a message via MSN to morshem
New quotes system?

Today I tried creating a new template for a new quotes system, which will enable adding and managing quotes more easily. The template can be found here.
See also this, and the usage result here.

The code is much simpler than in the current system, and consists of a single line:
{{Test|1|Some dude}}

Anyway...

I like this system, but it requires adding all those quotes now. Unless, of course, a bot could be ran to automatically add all those quotes. I tried reading myself about bots in MediaWiki, but the entire thing seemed so technical, that I immediately gave up . So, maybe someone who knows PHP (or whatever it takes for running bots) and is also familiar with the LBA engine can create a bot that will automatically add all those quotes in the format of the template I created. That would be awesome.

What do you think?
Old 2007-04-24, 12:03
Magic Ball Master

Hm, but this way you would still have to add the "Some dude" part manually. It would be better if the quote template could contain this metadata, along with the location of the spoken quote (we already know of each quote what island it was spoken, it might not be a lot of work to refine this further).

Unless you think having to add "Some dude" manually is a better idea; it allows for more customisability in each article (adding more data as necessary, stuff like location data might only be relevant for a few specific situations in articles).
Old 2007-04-24, 12:16
Master of Science & Magic

Maybe it would be an idea to create a mediawiki plugin that simply fetches the data from the MBN gamequote db (and ofcourse caches it).

For example:
{{#quote:1|withName|withLoc}}

an easy parsable output can be created by simply appending /xml to the urls, e.g. http://www.magicball.net/gamequotes/1/xml

this way we can use a central database

info about mediawiki markup extentions: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Extending_wiki_markup
Old 2007-04-24, 13:20
Magic Ball Master

Yeah, I'd like to use the MBN's quote database; it also has the 'game' of finding the quote's character in order to get the correct ones. [edit] oh, and locations as well now, cool!
So this is server-side, right? Say the MBN is down or the routing between the Twinsunica's and MBN's hosts are problematic, that would slow down the Twinsunica, especially if a page has like 10 quotes, each with a 10 second timeout... (Not that this is probably going to be a problem, just something to take into consideration.)

Just reading, it caches apparantly. Great. I'll dive right into it.

Last edited by wacko; 2007-04-24 at 13:27.
Old 2007-04-26, 01:27
Magic Ball Master

Update: I succesfully implemented an example parser function in the MediaWiki software and I got a quote XML parsed; now all that's left is to combine the two and make some neat templates for the quotes in several situations (with character and/or with location, etc). Expect it all up and running in not too long.
Old 2007-04-27, 00:39
Magic Ball Master

Really nice idea.

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2007-05-08, 15:18
Magic Ball Master

It works and can be used right away, see examples here.

Syntax:
Code:
{{#quote:<id>}}
{{#quote:<id>|withoutLocation}}
Where <id> matches with the MBN's LBA quotes database, for example: http://www.magicball.net/gamequotes/134 is id 134.

The quote is followed by the character's name if specified in the quotes database, linked internally. Otherwise it's 'Unknown' without a link.

This will be followed by the quote's location by default, if specified it will put the detailed location there as well. Both will be linked internally. (I don't know how many quotes in the MBN QDB have this detailed location, I hope they will match the article names of the Twinsunica somewhat, otherwise we'll have to adjust that or make redirects.)

If for some reason you don't want the location in the quote, you can define this by using 'withoutLocation' as 2nd parameter. I thought it would be best to have as much info as possible displayed by default.

Finally the quotes will have a numbered external link to the quote's detailed overview page on the MBN.

The quote will be outputted pretty much like so:
Code:
{{quote|Quote=<nowiki><quote></nowiki>|Character=[[<character>]], [[<detailed location>]], [[<location>]] [<link>]}}
So it uses the existing quote template. Optionally this can be made prettier.

If it's necessary to have it output its stuff in an other way, or if you need extra options like "withoutCharacter", "withoutLink", let me know. I don't think we really need those though.

Now, let me hear if this is as expected and if it's scalable enough as a final solution for the quotes. Go ahead and test it. If everything is good and well, the next thing is to go ahead and change all quotes in the Twinsunica with this new method. After that, though, it will be easily manageable and adjustable.

Last edited by wacko; 2007-05-08 at 15:33.
Old 2007-05-08, 15:51

That's really cool.
Only problem is though, at the MBN QDB, all characters are labeled as "unknown".

Also, would it be possible to specify more specific details in special cases? For example:
"You should go get that object!"
~~Some guy, about getting some object

So instead of the usual "Some guy, Some Island", a custom text will be available.
Old 2007-05-08, 15:53
Master of Science & Magic

yes, the characters and detailed location are not properly synced with the main quote database yet, it's on my todo list.
Old 2007-05-08, 17:09
Magic Ball Master

Custom text can now be added.

Parameter 1 has to be the quote id.
Parameters 2 and 3 can be used for custom text and/or the 'withoutLocation' setting, in any order.
Examples can be seen in the sandbox.

Maybe we should extend the quote template with Custom Text, Detailed Location, Location, URI and have the plugin's output match this (right now the script puts everything in the Character field); this will make it much easier and flexible to change layout later if that's ever necessary. The output of the plugin is cached, so any changes to that output requires the article to be re-saved (which would be a pain if a lot of pages are using the quotes plugin), where templates are not.
Old 2007-05-13, 03:28
Magic Ball Master

I've installed the ParserFunctions extension, which enabled me to create a new quote template that flexibly displays variables depending whether or not they were provided in the template call. Now I can use this one quote template for the output of the MBN QDB plugin which I will fix soon just fixed. After that and some more test rounds, I'm pretty certain the new quotes plugin should be ready to be implemented everywhere.
Perhaps Template:Quote2 can replace or be merged with Template:Quote?
And I'd like to give it a visual makeover, but that's easy to do later. (Did a few tryouts in the sandbox.)

(I apologize for the number of new entries in Recentchanges, it was kind of a bitch )

Last edited by wacko; 2007-05-13 at 04:54. Reason: update
Old 2007-05-13, 05:06

Oh, cool. Well, I guess I can delete the testing templates I created a while ago
Old 2007-05-21, 22:56
Magic Ball Master

So I now understand better what elmuerte meant with "the characters and detailed location are not properly synced with the main quote database yet".

The thing now is, we can add quotes using the new system to the wiki pages now, but if anything changes to a quote in the MBN LBA quotes repository later (such as new character/location information) the wiki pages where the quote is displayed needs to be refreshed (edited with no change) for the changes to be visible. This because the quote gets cached in the page for performance and bandwidth reasons.

Are we ok with that and should we convert the current quotes to the new system? Or do you think it's better to have a somewhat complete quotes repository before doing this, to prevent required refreshes later?

Obviously refreshing a page isn't a lot of work, but I suppose it could become tiresome if it has to be done to a lot of pages. And I don't think there's a way to check on which pages a certain quote is included, so two versions of a quote could reside in the wiki on different pages.
Old 2007-05-25, 22:40
You what?!

By the sounds of things, it could get a little messy in there. Plus you don't want some unresolved pages on the wiki that haven't been refreshed so aren't up to date... But I don't really know, making a whole new database would be more work now probably, but once it's done, it's done.