Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > LBA Projects > Twinsuniverse > Encyclopedia Twinsunica
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Encyclopedia Twinsunica The Encyclopedia Twinsunica is the older version of the Twinsuniverse, about the world of the LBA games.

Old 2008-07-09, 05:27
Magic level: Ice Ball

Send a message via MSN to morshem
Project re-construction

Hello everyone.

The Encyclopedia Twinsunica is currently an in-game only encyclopedia, i.e. writing only about things in the actual games, and in a style indicating as if it was written on Twinsun. Even though I insisted on this matter for a long time, to be honest I quite hate it now. In fact, I think most of the articles are written in a non-encyclopedic style at all.

A while after the project came back to life about 2 years ago, ChaosFish suggested that the encyclopedia will focus not only about the in-game world, but also about anything else related to the LBA games- Adeline and its workers, LBA modeling, the MBN, etc.

To be honest, I really like the way Lostpedia is written; the articles are in an encyclopedic language, and are written from an outside neutral point of view. I wouldn't mind seeing the same thing here.

However, this is of course a huge change in the entire attitude of the project, something I'd never dare doing without a discussion (especially with me being absent for more than half a year recently). This of course would require lots of work- not only writing new articles, but also rewriting all current ones. I'd help as much as I can.

I'm starting this thread to see what people think generally. So, share your opinions .
Old 2008-07-09, 09:02
You what?!

Yeah I'm up for that, I'll certainly contribute in the form of rewriting if this gets the go.
But is it necessary?
I guess there's quite a lot extra you could add, but I've no idea where you would start.

On a side note, I noticed there was no article for the stone of the septentrion.
I would have made it myself if I knew how to build wiki articles or knew enough about the stone...
Old 2008-07-09, 13:59
Zebrazilla

Seems like a good idea, I would say. Though I would prefer to see some more solid specifications of how it should be written before you have my vote.

It's also quite interesting that this might allow us to write about bugs, modifications and other interesting things currently not to be foun within the Twinsunica.

LBA Speedruns
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% PC - Time: 01h 04m 23s
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% Android - Time: 01h 04m 35s
Old 2008-07-09, 15:00
the hobbits to Otringal

"The Dino-Fly is a mythical creature,(...)" Inside the LBA world he strictly isn't mythical at all.

Stuff like that?

http://forum.magicball.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2558&dateline=1285864225
Old 2008-07-09, 16:41
You what?!

He is kind of mythical, considering he's the last of his kind.
And that he was undiscovered while he waited hundreds of years for Twinsen.
Old 2008-07-09, 17:05
the hobbits to Otringal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitarii View Post
He is kind of mythical, considering he's the last of his kind.
And that he was undiscovered while he waited hundreds of years for Twinsen.
Would indeed be hilarious to have a encyclopedia saying stuff like:"It's kinda... "
Either it is or it is not.

http://forum.magicball.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2558&dateline=1285864225
Old 2008-07-09, 19:48
You what?!

Yeah I was just hedging though, he is mythical.
Old 2008-07-09, 20:34
Magic Ball Master

Some notes by me on this subject:
  • I also think we are kind of limiting ourselves with the policy of only talking about in-game information. From an outside view, we could have a more neutral approach on things like inventory items, as the term "inventory" doesn't really make sense when we are treating the world as being real. I'm also supporting the idea of making articles about the games themselves etc.
  • I tried to make articles more encyclopedic, as they contained much biased stuff. See what I did to Island below the Island of the Celebration and especially Under-gas. I described the environment met in the under-gas and the economy and civilisation as much it is implied in the game itself. What do you think of this style?
  • If it is possible, I would also go ahead and create a German translation of the Twinsunica, and if I'm doing it all by myself and only for myself. Yes, I'm that bored.
Old 2008-07-09, 20:52
the hobbits to Otringal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitarii View Post
Yeah I was just hedging though, he is mythical.
If they exist inside that world they can't also be mythical creatures. Mythification, mythical proportion, mythical allure or to be surrounded by myths doesn't make it in it's existence mythical creature.

Sure u can claim every single one of them is a myth... but Dino-fly is inside that world just as real as all the others.

Old 2008-07-09, 20:53
weee

If anything, elves are mythical creatures because they're only there due to a bug in the game.
Old 2008-07-09, 20:59
the hobbits to Otringal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
If anything, elves are mythical creatures because they're only there due to a bug in the game.
Eeek! yeah lol.
And also they call you (Twinsen) "fellow elf" now this is where it gets confusing.

Old 2009-08-27, 16:22

Here's an example, to show what I'm talking about. I intentionally chose an article I wrote (Joan Loumin), as to not to insult anyone.

Current article:
Quote:
Description
Rejecting the Emperor of Zeelich and his actions, a small group of dissidents have set up a resistance group, spreading propaganda against the Emperor. The most active member of this group, and apparently their "leader", seems to be Joan Loumin, a brave yet reckless mosquibee. Perhaps due to not being careful enough, Joan was captured by the emperor at least once. However, he seems to be the most active dissident, having spreading the propaganda on several islands. He also seems to be in a pretty close contact with Astrid, the Mosquibees queen.

Role in Twinsen's Adventure
Throughout his quests around Zeelich, Twinsen encountered Joan Loumin several times. In his first trip to Zeelich, while escaping from jail, Twinsen came across Joan's cell. Following the mosquibee's pleads, Twinsen released him by opening his cell through the switches upstairs. In return, Joan adviced the quetch to leave the building through the back door, to avoid the guards. Coming back to Zeelich later on, Twinsen met Joan Loumin, as well as some of his dissident friends, at the secret basement of the Twinsunian Souvenir Shop. There, he and his friends helped Twnisen by preparing him for Island CX, as well as instructing him on how to get there, and handing him the Laser Pistol of Zarnon. When Twinsen reached the Mosquibees Island, Joan Loumin was standing there, just next to the queen. There, he gave Twinsen a small hint about the kind of proof Astrid was anticipating. He also witnessed Twinsen undergoing the Test of Truth at the Challenge room. Just after Twinsen completed the challenge, the emperor's soldiers attacked the village, and Joan, as well as the queen and another mosquibee, was captured. Going after the queen so that he could reach Island CX, Twinsen met Joan Loumin once again at the cell of the Building Company at Wannies Island. There, Joan adviced the quetch to go to Island CX as soon as possible. Later on, after Twinsen's adventure was finished, one could spot Joan Loumin at the party in Citadel Island.
Full of rubbish, poor English, unnecesarry quotes all around (I didn't bother copying them), and I don't think that the Character template is that useful either.

My suggestion:

Joan Loumin is a mosquibee acting as part of the dissidents group on Zeelich. His name is not mentioned in the actual game, and is only written in the official LBA 2 website. During LBA 2, Twinsen met him several times.

Twinsen first saw Joan during his first trip to Zeelich, while escaping from the Otringal prison. Joan was held as a prisoner in another cell, and Twinsen could release him by hitting the switch on the top floor. While this is not a neccessarry part of the game, a player who does release Joan gets an advice from him about leaving through the back door, as the front entrance was heavily guarded. Understanding Joan at this point requires owning a translator, and a player who did not pick one earlier in the game hears Zeelichian from him.

Twinsen later met Joan and his dissident fellows at the Twinsunian Souvenir Shop in Otringal. They helped him prepare for Island CX, and handed him a Laser Pistol.

When arriving to the Island of the Mosquibees, Twinsen saw Joan standing next to the queen Astrid. When Astrid asked Twinsen for a proof of his good intentions, Joan hinted him that it is the dissidents ring she's looking for.

Joan later witnessed Twinsen undergoing the Test of Truth at the Challenge room. Just after Twinsen completed the challenge, the emperor's soldiers attacked the village, and Joan, together with the queen and another mosquibee, was captured. They were being held prisoners at the Building Company in Wannies Island.

Twinsen went to their cell in the Building Company, in order to get the key to Island CX from the queen. Joan adviced him to get there as soon as possible.

Joan was lastly seen at the end of the game, in the party on Citadel Island.

What do you think?
Old 2009-08-27, 19:51
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
I think you could use one or another headline and try to maybe merge the paragraphs, your new suggestion seems like a list of places where you see Joan.

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2009-08-27, 22:28
Magic Ball Master

I think it's a great improvement and we should start adopting that article style. Some quotes are fine, but not all useless stuff the characters say during the game.
Old 2009-08-28, 04:42

Owns- it's not like this character has a real role in the game that you can write anything beyond where you met him and what he did there. Also, a "list" article would be something like this:

Quote:
Places where Twinsen met Joan:
  • Otringal prison- he helped him getting free
  • Souvenir shop- with the dissidents
  • etc.
These are paragraphs, not lists.

edit: btw, of course you can write rubbish beyond where you met him, like this character analysis we have there now (he's very brave!) or some random assumptions (maybe he was arrested several times. And maybe not) --- but those things have no place in an encyclopedia.
Old 2009-08-28, 16:42
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by morshem View Post
edit: btw, of course you can write rubbish beyond where you met him, like this character analysis we have there now (he's very brave!) or some random assumptions (maybe he was arrested several times. And maybe not) --- but those things have no place in an encyclopedia.
You're right about that, but I think that there will be ugly with so much whitespace in your current draft. Usually writers avoid to having many lines with little content.

(image by leoboe! )

Old 2009-08-28, 16:53
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBAWinOwns View Post
You're right about that, but I think that there will be ugly with so much whitespace in your current draft. Usually writers avoid to having many lines with little content.
I don't think many articles would have that problem, Joan is a bit of an oddball for appearing randomly at so many places in the game while not being important overall.
Old 2009-10-21, 19:16

I started doing some rewriting; I'll keep track of that in my user page there.

So far, I can't say I'm extremely satisfied with the results.... For example, in the Money-Monkey article, the quotes seem to overrun all the rest of the article... I think the best solution would be to link to the quotes in the MBN's quotes database, instead of posting them there. Maybe with footnotes using the ref tag (see the thread I started today).

What do you think?
Old 2009-10-21, 20:22
Magic Ball Master

Yeah, the quotes are useless and not very pretty.
Old 2009-10-21, 22:12

The quotes aren't useless, they are used to support the claims with evidence.

They just aren't pretty .
Old 2009-10-22, 16:42

OK, I tried a new thing... Check out the article again, tell me what you think.
Old 2009-10-22, 19:22
Magic Ball Master

Looking better.
Old 2009-10-23, 12:28
Magic Ball Master

Looks worse in my opinion ...

(image by leoboe! )

Old 2009-12-12, 15:13
The only Belgian Sphero

Send a message via MSN to fanlba Send a message via Yahoo to fanlba
Hi i don't think a new topic is useful for what i have to say so i tell it here ^^

For this page : http://twinsunica.waxo.nl/index.php/Priest
-> you named this character "Dark Monk's Priest" but he has a "real" name. In French, in the game, he's called "Monsieur le Moine" and i saw here that in English it's also use "Mr. Lemoine's maid" to describe Annie.
Old 2009-12-12, 15:49

Moved, thanks.

On a more on-topic note, I started rewriting all the articles in the database in alphabetical order. This is probably going to take ages, so in the meanwhile you can consider this whole project as "stand by".