Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2008-07-27, 03:18
LOLwut?

Cool

The Dark Knight.

Once again!

Because this time my bro wanted to see it.

Haha second movie that I watched on cinemas twice (The first one was Anastasia years ago, the second time was for free)

Last edited by RGaspar; 2008-07-27 at 19:24.
Old 2008-07-28, 12:51
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
The Dark Knight
Type - film, CreatedBy - Christopher Nolan Jonathan Nolan, Reviewed By Darkflame

The Dark Knight is the second film in the rebooted Batman film franchise.
Like the first, Batman Begins, this one takes up the difficulty mantle of trying to make a comic book world seem real, and succeeds brillently.To say this film is "edgy" "gritty" or even "dark" does it a diservice because those worlds are so often missused. But nethertheless it is all three.

The film starts a bit disjointed, and has a few minor plotholes, but apart from that its practicely perfect;
A complex, interesting story, believable charecters, superb acting and some nice stunts too. Heck, they even chucked in some very nicely handeled morel dilemas too.

Oddly, many aspexs of this film felt like I was watching "Prison Break". I put that down to the complex, clever ploting, the location and the apperence of William Fichtner near the start. As well as one specific scene involving some convicts on a boat which was a very "prison-break-esq" moment.

Overall, an execelent film which ends on a pitch-perfect note. One that both concludes the film nicely, as well as setting up for a hopefull third film.
For those who watched the film and are eager for more, simerla toned Jocker-ness, I strongly recomend the following excelent short amataur film;

http://blip.tv/file/742565/

94%
Old 2008-07-28, 13:04
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Lupin 3rd: Stolen Lupin
Type - film, CreatedBy - Tokyo Movie Shinsha, Reviewed By Darkflame

A very fun animated movie.
Like most of the Lupin stuff, its basicaly non-stop over the top heists, tricks, betrails and with some nice humour.
From the first scene, its pretty much non-stop WTF-ery.

Its hard to some up the plot. It intialy just concerns a forced jewel theft, and the curse surrounding it, but quickly moves onto to other things. Which is just as well, seeing as that intialy plotline isnt exactly new for the series.
Its certainly good enough for me to be encouraged to track down the other Lupin the 3rd movies.

80%
Old 2008-07-28, 13:05
Previously Link

Hancock

Meh, Kit said everything there is to say.
Old 2008-07-30, 05:52
>:C

Send a message via AIM to Mouserz Send a message via MSN to Mouserz Send a message via Yahoo to Mouserz
the dark knight, great movie.
Old 2008-07-30, 17:58
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBall2K View Post
Greetings, my hacker biatches.

The Dark Knight
Can't say what was wrong with it, just didn't give me that OMGWTFBBQ feeling, y'know?
That's exactly my feelings on Batman Begins.

Didn't see The Dark Knight yet, can't wait tho.
Old 2008-07-30, 18:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
Just watched Snakes on a Plane
I've only seen that once, and that was when I was on a flight to America... much more entertaining when you're 30,000ft (?) in the air, don't you think?

The last film I saw though was Hancock, and I basically agree with Kit as well, but I'd give it a seven or so.

~ Check out the new front page! ~
[ Profile | Steam | Pm ]
Old 2008-07-30, 21:42
Bamboo

Send a message via MSN to Jareth
Last, that I saw? Black Sheep (today) ^^ was pretty stupid...;] Sheep-genetic-mutants...maaan...
Old 2008-07-31, 00:20
weee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
I've only seen that once, and that was when I was on a flight to America... much more entertaining when you're 30,000ft (?) in the air, don't you think?
That's the movie they chose to show on the flight? Nice to know some people still have sense of humor Yeah, it must be a lot more effective watching that on an actual plane. Plus, if snakes attack you'd be more prepared.
Old 2008-08-02, 15:18
You what?!

The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy

Pretty funny, and quite a clever storyline.
Not much else to say, a very cool movie!

8 / 10
Old 2008-08-02, 20:53
weee

Meet Dave - Pure awesomeness.
..wtf? It got only 3.4 on iMDB? I agree it's not a 10 but 3.4?! Anything less than 6 for this movie is crazy. It's a (good) lite comedy with some fantasy in it. What's wrong with that?
Old 2008-08-02, 22:31
Classic

Eddie Murphy probably.
That and review scores tend to be polarised.
Old 2008-08-03, 03:40
You what?!

Transformers

Quite a weird movie, but again very watchable. Had some cool moments and some funny moments. Special effects were good also. I guess it was pretty predictable mostly, but I'd never watched any Transformers cartoons or anything so it was all new to me. Recommended.

7 / 10
Old 2008-08-03, 14:18
Boobs!

The Pianist
I love it. Very well done, but maybe a bit too long before a cut? But none the less, brilliant.
Spoiler:
I just can't believe that the Germans were allowed to do that to the Jews and to the Polish.
And that Władysław Szpilman lived through all of that and died at the age of 88. That is just... Wow.

Would have given it 10/10, but there were too many long bits that could have been cut down to reduce at least 10 minutes (so there's less 1) and there were a few parts where the audio (whether on a pro sound system or headphones/earphones) didn't seem to follow the characters as they moved or the vehicles to that fact (though the war sounds and feel was great, and there's another one gone...) so I'll give it 8/10.

I love it and I'd recommend it to anyone who loves history mixed with biography.
I'd recommend it to anyone... Full-stop!
Old 2008-08-05, 15:19
Classic

Wall-E
Type - film, CreatedBy - Pixar, Reviewed By Darkflame

Quite simply, the most perfect film I have seen since Amelie.
With simple movements and little dialogue pixar somehow create some of the strongest charecters,humour and storytelling I have ever seen.

98%
Old 2008-08-05, 18:26
Classic

The Mummy : Tomb Of The Dragon Emperor
Type - default, CreatedBy - Alfred Gough Miles Millar, Reviewed By Darkflame

Another Mummy film, this one taking the bold step of having a different mummy as its centerpiece.
I quite like the Mummy films, casual action-adventure with a healthy dose of comady. This one is no different, allthough it has its flaws, its good overall and its interesting to compare to the recent Indiana Jones film.

The Mummy films, like all in its genra owe, a lot to the Indy franchise. Even decades on you can still see the simerlatiritys in music, direction, jerpy situations and progression of the plot. Nothing wrong with this, its a good formula.

The problem with this mummy film comes that it sticks a bit too closely too it, and the plot starts to feel quite random as a result. Both sides seem to pull abilitys or resources out of mid-air, and sometimes the dangers of the landscape seem to have no logic to them at all. (why is there a huge clockwork mechcanism in the great wall of china It seems to be there purely so people can get crushed).

Another main failing is the bad-guy, theres only so much of the "monster man wants to take over world" style storytelling you can have before it gets dull, and it is. Indy4's chessy russian telepath may have bit a bit silly, but it was still a more interesting and entertaining charecter to watch. Likewise, her motivation led to a more interesting plot progression.

The film does have its strong points too. Like Indy4, theres some nice charecter dialogue (as well as some cringeworthy bits). Like Indy4 you can also see it poke fun at itself, and previous entrys in its franchise.

It is a lot more of a CG-fest though, sometimes seeming like an interconnected series of special effects. But on the other hand it dosnt have any stupid goffers or monkey scenes.

So overall Id say its a good film, as long as your just looking for some dumb fun.

Not as good as Indy, but certainly one of its better decendants.
I only hope when the inevitable 4th film comes, they try to come up with a new formula, and not just a new type of mummy.

79%
Old 2008-08-06, 12:43
Classic

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Type - film, CreatedBy - Joss Zak and Jed Whedons and Maurissa Tanchareon, Reviewed By Darkflame

Dr Horribles Sing-A-Long blog is a truly unique piece of entertainment, a 40 minute 3 act musical about a "evil" scientists that falls in love with a girl at the launderette.

Its Ponient, emotional, and very very funny.
Not to mention full of very quotable lines.

Its also by far and away the most professionally produced piece of entertainment for the internet. Created by Joss Whedon (Buffy,Firefly) after the writers strike it was made as a way to bi-pass the tv networks and produce stuff directly.

It stars Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother) and Nathan Fillion (Firefly) as well as Felicia Day (many things).

While it remains to be seen how successful it is fanicialy, its certainly successful as a piece of entertainment.

People can view it for free online;

http://www.hulu.com/watch/28343/dr-h...ing-along-blog

And later buy the dvd, Itunes, or support them by merchandise. I personally think this is a wonderful method of distribution, and I hope people support them by paying for it if they enjoy it..

Either way, theres no excuse not to give it a go

98%
Old 2008-08-06, 15:12
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
Star Wars: The Clonewars gets released in 8 days in the USA and I have to wait till September :'(
Old 2008-08-06, 23:35
Member #174

Send a message via MSN to Assassin
The Mist
Spoiler:
The end was really fucked up. You just killed 4 people among them your own son and 5 minutes later the army comes in to save everyone. If it was up to me I'd kill myself at that point.
Old 2008-08-07, 02:15
You what?!

The Bourne Supremacy

Very complicated plot line, definately need to watch the first movie to understand this one. Had a lot of good action scenes, and the storyline is a little different to your regular secret agent movie. Also, good soundtrack.

8 / 10

Wall-E

Didn't want to see it in the first place, felt like a waste of £5.50 after I got out. First half was very dull, granted it got a little more interesting for the second half, but this was hardly a good movie. I don't know how anyone could say it's the best thing since anything Darkflame, but I guess this wouldn't be the first time we disagreed on media stuff! I guess it's kind of clever how the story was told with very few words, but that ended up frustrating me more than anything. You might enjoy it if you haven't mastered speech yet.

3.5 / 10

Under Siege

Steven Seagal... Not sure what to say about this one. Fairly predictable hero-cliche storyline, similar to a lot of American army based movies. Similar style to stuff like Rambo, but not as good. Still, it gave me something to watch today.

5 / 10

The Bourne Ultimatum

Wanted to watch the first two movies in the series before I watched this one, which I've owned on dvd for ages now but never got around to watching it! Continues nicely the way it starts in between the penultimate scene of The Bourne Surpremacy and the final scene appears in the middle. Nice soundtrack again, I like the way that there aren't technially "bad-guys", that's what makes this trilogy different. Only bad thing was this was probably the first movie I noticed that the camera did some weird stuff, like getting behind people's heads so you couldn't see very well. I'm not sure if it was deliberate or not but it was pretty annoying at times.

8 / 10
Old 2008-08-07, 02:18
Classic

Quote:
You might enjoy it if you haven't mastered speech yet.
Or have emotion, sense of humour etc.

oh, and Bourne Ultimatum >> Supremancy.
(The dark twist at the end especialy, but also the scene in waterloo at the start)
Old 2008-08-07, 02:22
You what?!

That was a bit below the belt sir!
I'd hardly call it a twist, pretty predictable.
But the Waterloo scene was very good, yeah.
Also the bit where he steals the police car was funny.
Old 2008-08-07, 16:31
Classic

Spoiler:

Really? I thought the fact he volentiered so strongly he killed a block caught me completely by supprise. I guess the idea of guy losing his memory and the "new" personality being much better then the old one isnt completely new (Total Recall), but it caught my by supprise here.
I thought it was going to be forced-into-it else we kill a member of your family type thing.
Old 2008-08-07, 19:22
You what?!

Spoiler:
For some reason I'd thought that he volunteers all along. The amnesia thing isn't entirely new, but it's presented in a good way, how he slowly remembers stuff as he goes to different locations. The thing that makes it different is how there aren't really any bad guys like I said before, since everyone works for the CIA except Bourne, but he's not a bad guy either.
Old 2008-08-07, 19:34
Classic

Spoiler:
Well, the people in the CIA that led/founded the Treadstone project I guess were the bad guys. Even though they wernt really that big in the plots themselfs.
Still, films are often much better when there isnt a clearly defined villian.

Tags
films, movies