Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2013-03-20, 19:10
Pim! Pim!

Smile what makes you smile?

i thought this place could use a cheerful thread, so i ask: what makes you smile? things that makes me smile: my mates, when my code compiles, invader zim, and when a cute boy flirts with me
Old 2013-03-20, 19:55
this's longer than allowe

Nice try Ditzy
Old 2013-03-20, 20:33
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratchet View Post
You remind me so much of Ditzy but minus all the ponies
Ditzy didn't show any affection to programming before. And didn't have "mates". That's new.

What languages do you use, Pimmy? Did you get some kind of degree in programming, or is it just a hobby of yours? And what do you do currently (with it ) ?

Oh wait, wrong thread
Well, obviously programming makes me smile. More specificly, Java. Love it.

Threads: News, Introduction, Discussion, Bugs collection || Content: Characters, Enemies, Items
Words come in all sizes. But even if they fit you,
they might not come at appropriate times.

Good for everyone is finding yourself first,
and then the good in others second.
Old 2013-03-21, 13:21
Polly parrot

I don't find them so alike... Ditzy was crazier

What makes me smile ? mmm... Monty Python's flying circus, solving a puzzle in Abe's Oddysee...
Old 2013-03-21, 14:35
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
I agree with J McKalling, Java makes me smile too. Especially when I realize two projects can share some code, or I made a neat new reusable widget object.

Other things;

Silly TV shows. I love Roger and the Rottentrolls, Adam West batman (especially the movie), Maid Marrien and her Merry Men,Better of Ted,The Goodies....that sort of thing.

oh, silly webshows too. Anything these guys make generally. They are like a modern flying circus for me - more original then any tv sketch show.
Old 2013-03-21, 16:42
Pim! Pim!

god this forum has some serious emotional baggage. i've been here for a few days and this is already the second time i hear about this ditzy

jack i use c# and java
i'm studying for a degree in cs, so right now all my projects are studies related, no time for entrepreneurship hahaha
Old 2013-03-21, 16:54
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Well if you're experiencing the pros and cons of C#, regardless of the educational flavour, I think java will very likely show you why DF and I prefer java above all.

C# might be a collection of pros from several languages and techniques that MIcrosoft thought would be great to put into one, Java will always be designed for a bigger audience. A higher user experience on the programmer part. It's flexible to use, offers a huge range of extendable tools you could use, wrap or enhance, it's inheritance model works extremely well, and all the other constucts are just so amazingly useful I couldn't possibly see why I should use concurrent solutions.

However you should try to find a way to use it for your personal ideas too, to be able to use your imagination and own ideas for the project, rather than be constrained by all the requirements and limitations your education asks of and sets for you.

Regarding baggage, well you aint seen nothin' yet... But regardless, don't you worry bout nothin I have a good faith in our capabilities and think there's full potential recover

Threads: News, Introduction, Discussion, Bugs collection || Content: Characters, Enemies, Items

Old 2013-03-21, 18:59
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimmin View Post
god this forum has some serious emotional baggage.

You ain't seen nothing yet, indeed! Hahaha.
It's all because of the trolls, we are sorry for this unpleasant feeling we gave you.

Oh and you can call me sgk if you'd like.

---

WHAT MAKES ME SMILE: Noticing something new (musically) in songs I love and have already listened to thousands of times before. Finding new details such as hidden riffs, a certain harmonic structure, paying close attention to the bass line, a soft breath inbetween vocals, and other subtle things that makes me feel even more awed for that particular song.

Will think of other things later (maybe).

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2013-03-21, 19:42
Polly parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
WHAT MAKES ME SMILE: Noticing something new (musically) in songs I love and have already listened to thousands of times before.
That is so great !!! I've recently been to my house in France, my father has an amazing Hi-Fi installation, I was amazed by songs that I've known for more than 10 years ! Songs we listened to in the car during family holidays !
Old 2013-03-21, 23:25
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
Java will always be designed for a bigger audience. A higher user experience on the programmer part. It's flexible to use, offers a huge range of extendable tools you could use, wrap or enhance, it's inheritance model works extremely well, and all the other constucts are just so amazingly useful I couldn't possibly see why I should use concurrent solutions.
Plus when you discover that "Processing" thing people have been talking about is just Java code and you can suddenly reuse a skill you have to do completely different things altogether.
Old 2013-03-22, 01:02
Previously Link

I tend to think most frameworks built on top of java suffer the labyrinthine system syndrome. They are pointlessly complex for what they do. I have a preference for small languages which you can understand and predict entirely, like C or Javascript. If it has to be complex, then I find C++ can do everything Java/C# do and more, in a much more efficient and controlled manner.
That doesn't mean I'm completely reluctant to Java, in some particular instances, it is certainly the best choice. Although Scala seems to be an elegant alternative. I guess what really bothers me about Java is all the religious attitude towards it. What makes me smile, when it comes to programming, is discovering a new language, or a new paradigm, and learn how to make good use of it.
---
What makes me smile: seeing my friends, wife or relative smile. Playing LBA2 or talking about it. Eating. Being complimented on my Chinese. Looking at surrealistic paintings. And of course, all the good movies, music, books, etc out there.
Old 2013-03-22, 12:48
Classic

Quote:
I tend to think most frameworks built on top of java suffer the labyrinthine system syndrome. They are pointlessly complex for what they do.
Have you tried Processing?
http://www.processing.org/
Something about it makes me feel like I am writing QBASIC apps again :P

Something very immediate about it. Making your screen ripple with just a dozen lines of code. That sort of thing. Been using it to create Slit-scanning video special effects (which are awesome effects), I am sure my code is badly optimized, and it would run much better in another language. But it wouldn't be nearly as fun to play with.
No setup needed is a bonus too.
Old 2013-03-22, 14:05
Pim! Pim!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J McKalling View Post
However you should try to find a way to use it for your personal ideas too, to be able to use your imagination and own ideas for the project, rather than be constrained by all the requirements and limitations your education asks of and sets for you.
right now i'd rather focus my energy on getting good grades, i can experiment later
Old 2013-03-22, 14:07
Pim! Pim!

Quote:

You ain't seen nothing yet, indeed! Hahaha.
It's all because of the trolls, we are sorry for this unpleasant feeling we gave you.

Oh and you can call me sgk if you'd like.

---

WHAT MAKES ME SMILE: Noticing something new (musically) in songs I love and have already listened to thousands of times before. Finding new details such as hidden riffs, a certain harmonic structure, paying close attention to the bass line, a soft breath inbetween vocals, and other subtle things that makes me feel even more awed for that particular song.

Will think of other things later (maybe).
i want to call you bibin
your name is now bibin
btw what is this friend request you sent me??

oooh i love it when i appreciate a song i knew for years in a new way!!
Old 2013-03-22, 14:29
the legend

... bibin...? err.

A friend request means we are now friends, so now I can come over to your house and grab yer cupcakes without asking.

sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2013-03-22, 17:33
Pim! Pim!

are we still talking about actual cupcakes?? hahaha
Old 2013-03-22, 17:56
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link View Post
I guess what really bothers me about Java is all the religious attitude towards it. ...
What do you mean?

Quote:
right now i'd rather focus my energy on getting good grades, i can experiment later
That's fine, it's just a suggestion for sometime if you like

Old 2013-03-23, 03:36
the legend

Quote:
are we still talking about actual cupcakes?? hahaha
Well, I am talking about those made with flour and lots of sugar, filling me stomach with joy.

Old 2013-03-25, 18:28
LBA fan

Quote:
Well if you're experiencing the pros and cons of C#, regardless of the educational flavour, I think java will very likely show you why DF and I prefer java above all.

C# might be a collection of pros from several languages and techniques that MIcrosoft thought would be great to put into one, Java will always be designed for a bigger audience. A higher user experience on the programmer part. It's flexible to use, offers a huge range of extendable tools you could use, wrap or enhance, it's inheritance model works extremely well, and all the other constucts are just so amazingly useful I couldn't possibly see why I should use concurrent solutions.
Wow, my experience has been the complete opposite. I've been coding Java and C# professionally for 3 or 4 years now, and I wouldn't think twice to pick C# over Java. Yes, Java has better tools and a slightly richer library ecosystem, but C# is a much more elegant and practical language. And the .NET Framework Class Library is so much more modern and practical than the JCL.

I don't see how anyone who has real world experience with C# would prefer Java. For example, some features that I use in day-to-day code that make work much more pleasant: automatic properties, first class functions (and concise lambda syntax), real closures, anonymous types with concise syntax, type inference, improved generics, LINQ expressions, async & await, iterators, extension methods, expression trees, named arguments. I find that well written C# code is often shorter and more readable than the equivalent Java code.
Old 2013-03-25, 18:34
ffffff

the thought of all you people dying horrible, painful deaths
[21:53] <OBattler> i just don´t believe in behaving like either an animal
[21:53] <OBattler> or like adolf hitler

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreGGy View Post
Opinions are like testicles, everyone has theirs - Those are my opinions and I have no fear to show them to you.
Quote:
but that's what it is, the troll is a rapist
a soul rapist

- Link, 2013
*~ Anakin ~ Mia ~ Rex_Hollywood ~ Jesse ~ Jasiek ~ Kitarii ~ Twinsan ~ BFFs 4 lYfE ~*
Old 2013-03-25, 19:09
Magic Ball GrandMaster

@Medur:
Of cource C# has stuff Java hasn't. It was partially based off Java too after all. I will not argue with you about which is better, you're just as entitled to your preference as I am.

I've read about Java's decline some time ago, and I understand more and more people are using other and better solutions.

But I'm using Eclipse for reference. Compared to Visual Studio, Eclipse will win. It allows you to customise the entire IDE; workbench, toolbars, menus, project settings, code formatting, code completion. I don't remember everything of VS, but it was so much harder to use than Eclipse.

That said, I find C# far much batter than any other language I know besides Java. I've created a windows tool fully capable of reading and writing complete excel worksheets, advanced I/O functionality, that even Java doesn't have (well, not before 7). I guess my experience is strongly related to the IDE...

Old 2013-03-25, 19:09
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
now I can come over to your house and grab yer cupcakes without asking.
Funny, I figured you for a muffin man.
Old 2013-03-25, 19:24
LBA fan

Quote:
@Medur:
Of cource C# has stuff Java hasn't. It was partially based off Java too after all. I will not argue with you about which is better, you're just as entitled to your preference as I am.

I've read about Java's decline some time ago, and I understand more and more people are using other and better solutions.

But I'm using Eclipse for reference. Compared to Visual Studio, Eclipse will win. It allows you to customise the entire IDE; workbench, toolbars, menus, project settings, code formatting, code completion. I don't remember everything of VS, but it was so much harder to use than Eclipse.

That said, I find C# far much batter than any other language I know besides Java. I've created a windows tool fully capable of reading and writing complete excel worksheets, advanced I/O functionality, that even Java doesn't have (well, not before 7). I guess my experience is strongly related to the IDE...
Visual Studio is a limited IDE compared to Eclipse, no doubt. The ReSharper plugin brings some Eclipse features to C#, but it's still not the same thing. That's the main problem of the .NET environment: lack of quality open source tools. The Microsoft monopoly limits the growth of C#, unfortunately.
Old 2013-03-25, 19:41
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Aye, and it is an absolute quality standard in my opinion, to have an IDE that functions like Eclipse, it really opens up the language and productivity. I forgot whether I mentioned it when I said I prefer Java, but I should have said that I prefer Java in Eclipse.

When comparing VS to Eclipse, I simply drown in tears after I let VS compile my project.
If you save your work, VS recompiles the entire project for you to refresh the binary stuff. Great, but it takes Eclipse a hell lot less time to do the same thing. Because Eclipse has the ability to compile fractions of code, as I understood it.

Lets keep it there. C# has lots of good stuff, you mentioned some that I also found when using VS, and Java has some as well that C# doesn't have. But the IDE is a lot more important than the language you're using. And the Eclipse/Java combination creates my preference.

Other than all this technical stuff, which I also wanted to point out to those who are now trying to throw sharp things at me, there are other things that make me smile as well. Just so you know

Old 2013-03-25, 19:52
Classic

Java has iterators, btw.

Generally I like to use the foreach style formating though:

List<String> someList = new ArrayList<String>()
for(String item : someList ){
System.out.println(item);
}