Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > The site and forum
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The site and forum Place your comments about the Magic Ball Network here. Talk here about the Magicball Network and the forum.

Closed Thread

Old 2003-06-06, 12:43
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Request

Hi.
I hate taking part in complaining and all that, but..
I'd like to propose a certain level of moderation of the QouteDB.
I was recently insulted/mocked there in quotes, that, are not really quotes..since no one ever said them.
A member here invents a quote and adds it, possibly because he was angry at me.

I don't like being the target of such jokes, can something be done about it?
Old 2003-06-06, 12:47
What is this place?

Send a message via ICQ to Atresica Send a message via AIM to Atresica Send a message via MSN to Atresica
the thing is, our beloved wacko forgot his password or something, so he can't make any changes.

I personally suggest that everyone who abuses the quotesdatabase should be hung upside down at his toes above a horde of angry homosexual chimpansees. (of course they are of the same sex as the violator)

But that's just me...
Old 2003-06-06, 12:47
Magic level: Ice Ball

Send a message via MSN to morshem
Yes, I agree. Even though I'm the one who added these stupid quotes, I believe new quotes can be added only with the permission of the mods.
Old 2003-06-06, 12:53
Party animal

Yeah well, it's fucking annoying to have quotes like that displayed when i enter MBN.

People here can vouch for me when i say i'm not a member who complains a lot, but i don't see why i have to put up with such shit.
Old 2003-06-06, 17:35
Hello

Send a message via MSN to Gustav Sweden
So morshem, if I fix those monkeys for you, do you let me hang you upside down and let them rape you? If so I'll come to you tomorrow.

Isn't it possible to disable some quoteIDs to be shown as random quotes at the MBN?
Old 2003-06-06, 17:58
Magic Ball Master

I might make a new version of the QDB with a rating system, so you can give quotes positive or negative points (like seen on bash.org (temp offline)). And an admin screen to delete the quotes that aren't supposed to be there at all (marked by users).

The only problem is to make sure every member can only cast one vote per quote. Shouldn't be too hard, but I need to know how vB gets the member's info from a session/cookie. I hope El can help me with that.
Old 2003-06-06, 18:00
Magic level: Ice Ball

Send a message via MSN to morshem
No, I don't think that would solve any problem. I think what really bothers Anakin is the fact that these stupid quotes are on the main page of the MBN, so he has to see them every time he comes there.
Old 2003-06-06, 18:03
Member #174

Send a message via MSN to Assassin
Quote:
Originally posted by wacko
I might make a new version of the QDB with a rating system, so you can give quotes positive or negative points (like seen on bash.org (temp offline)). And an admin screen to delete the quotes that aren't supposed to be there at all (marked by users).

The only problem is to make sure every member can only cast one vote per quote. Shouldn't be too hard, but I need to know how vB gets the member's info from a session/cookie. I hope El can help me with that.
I think that's a great idea!
There's a lot of crap in there .
Old 2003-06-06, 19:36
Party animal

Wacko >> Well, I hope you can make a new one

Morshem >> I can speak for myself, thanks.
Old 2003-06-06, 19:57
Radical Dreamer

hey hey boy no need to get hostile

I just propose a system like any ordinairy news-system: you submit a quote, it gets sent to the list, and the moderator just selects which quotes can get on the site and which can't easy yet extremely effective

*smart*
Old 2003-06-06, 20:22
Magic Ball Master

Annie- I know how you feel, the abuse of the QDB is a damn shame.

We need a QDB mod, or someone/ who will filter the crap. All quotes should be included with a log/link to the actual quote itself.
Old 2003-06-06, 20:53
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Double-J
We need a QDB mod, or someone/ who will filter the crap. All quotes should be included with a log/link to the actual quote itself.
- I agree to the first part. Only with the scoring system, everyone will be a QDB mod somehow. The fake/crap quotes etc will be deleted eventually by a real mod if marked as so by the users.
- I disagree to the second part; it's still for fun and it shouldn't become this official.
Old 2003-06-07, 01:18
Hello

There cant just be a mod who selects the quotes. It will be damn biased.
Old 2003-06-07, 02:07
What is this place?

Send a message via ICQ to Atresica Send a message via AIM to Atresica Send a message via MSN to Atresica
*agrees with gustav*

Thumbs up for a rating system
Old 2003-06-07, 02:07
Magic Ball Master

Wacko- why is it wrong to ask people to verify quotes?

Gustav- You don't think that the system as it is now isn't arbitrary? People can put whatever they want in, regardless of who it affects and/or the truth of the quotes themselves.
Old 2003-06-07, 03:20
Hello

I think that we need a rating system, and also some guys who checks the quotes every now and then and removes the aggressive ones so to say.
Old 2003-06-08, 02:11
Magic Ball Master

Can I suggest that we have a set of rules to prevent the thing getting spammed? I have thought of a few...

- IRC quotes must be shorter than [X] amount of lines

- No Tonnie or Joop jokes. Please! They're just not funny at all.

- No quoting yourself? A lot of quotes where people have quoted themselves aren't funny either... let other people be judges of your humour (or wisdom).

- No fake quotes

These are just suggestions. Not compulsary, but would make the QuotesDB ALOT better, imho.
Old 2003-06-08, 02:34
Hello

Its pretty stupid with those who quote themselves since they probably just write what they do to add it in the quotedb...
Old 2003-06-08, 02:50
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Snapman
Can I suggest that we have a set of rules to prevent the thing getting spammed? I have thought of a few...

- IRC quotes must be shorter than [X] amount of lines

- No Tonnie or Joop jokes. Please! They're just not funny at all.

- No quoting yourself? A lot of quotes where people have quoted themselves aren't funny either... let other people be judges of your humour (or wisdom).

- No fake quotes

These are just suggestions. Not compulsary, but would make the QuotesDB ALOT better, imho.
I totally agree, it actually seems like perfect common sense to stick to these rules. Too bad not everybody has it

Having someone else adding your quote can make you proud ("yay! I'm funny!")

The long quotes are only annoying at the MBN forum index, but they're usually not as funny as the strong oneliners in the QDB.

Last edited by wacko; 2003-06-08 at 03:06.
Old 2003-06-08, 13:17
The Prince of all Saiyans

Send a message via ICQ to Bomba!
I wonder, EVERYONE here agrees on the 'basic' rules, and not ruining the Quotes Database with crap and such...so who the fuck fill it with crap?
"All men dream, but not equally.Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible." ~Thomas Edward Lawrence

"When you were born, the world rejoiced and you cried. Live your life, so that when you die, you will rejoice and the world will cry." ~ Indian Saying
Old 2003-06-08, 14:33
What is this place?

I was wondering the same thing
Old 2003-06-08, 14:51
Party animal

Well we know who fucked it up, the question is why.
Old 2003-06-08, 15:04
Hello

No, there have been more than one.
Old 2003-06-08, 15:40
Party animal

I didn't say there weren't.
Old 2003-06-16, 00:49
Magic Ball Master

bump

has any action been taken to resolve this issue? (see the dear mods thread)
Closed Thread