Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > LBA Projects > TwinEngine
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

TwinEngine An opensource reimplementation of the Little Big Adventure game engine. [url]http://twin-e.googlecode.com[/url]

Old 2008-05-04, 20:39
Magic Ball Master

Prequengine Progress

I decide to create this thread to put the engine progress.

I manage to fix and add few things today.
- Fixed screen image delay.
- Fixed skip screen image key.
- Fixed CPU usage (50% to 2% +/-).
- Create the keyboard handle.
- Manage to create the main menu (working without Text yet).
- Main menu working with Fire Effetcs and user can browse throw the buttons.
- Added play theme music while in main menu.
- Added support to play MP3 tracks instead of CD Tracks. (This will allow us to reduce a lot the disk space - 85% of the CD tracks space +/-)
- Created sourceforge account for the project so we can have the version revisions. (http://sourceforge.net/projects/prequengine)
- Images fade in and out like original game (fade to black) with options to turn it into a cross fade (fade to another image) which is the currently state.
- Open and Play FLA movies.
- FLA in fullscreen like in the original game. (I just notice it is a bit stretch, but its the way they use the fla movies resolution 320x200 instead of 320x240).
- FLA movies with playing with samples.
- FLA movies with fade in and fade out frames.
- Play midis files

Next step:
- Movies Support at 640x480 (AVI and other extensions if possible)
- Add text support and include it in main menu.
- Create all the other menus (?) or start making the actual game engine (?)

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website

Last edited by xesf; 2008-05-22 at 20:45. Reason: update list
Old 2008-05-05, 02:34
Magic Ball Master

Very nice Alex! Already done more than I could in a year!
Old 2008-05-05, 17:52
Magic Ball Master

You also do more than I can in a year

I'm motivated now with this engine, at least for now, and I'm trying to do as best as I can when I get some free time. Its only me right now, all other members are busy with other stuffs and can't do anything now, so I'm trying to make some progress.

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.

Old 2008-05-05, 17:56
Magic Ball Master

Make sure you let us know what you need. I could ask a friend of mine if he'd be interested in working on the engine code, he's busy, but if I knew what to tell him, perhaps he could take a little time on it. Anything to help mate!
Old 2008-05-06, 00:45
Magic Ball Master

Well we already have 3 members (1 full which will be ready to help as soon as possible and 2 others which are LBAO coders that will be on queue list when they have free time for the project).

Do you think he may be a good help?!
Well, what we need is first to actual create the LBA engine using as source TwinEngine and also reversed LBA in Assembly. The idea is to first organize all the code and make it easy to look at and find what we are looking for. Also while making the engine, see if we need particulary things to improve it. Like if we are developing voice support in voc format, make sure we also build mp3 support, etc.. But the most importante thing right now, is to get currently alpha stage TwinEngine is the best way we can, by filtering to the essencial.

Old 2008-05-06, 01:25
Magic Ball Master

Well, he's finishing him MA in computer science, and knows how to program. I'll send him a quick email and see what he can do as far as time.
Old 2008-05-08, 15:47
Magic Ball Master

Okay than, I'll wait his answer.

I'm still working this days on the engine but really few (30min/1h per day) which isn't enough for a proper progress. Anyway, I plan this weekend to do much more.

I edit the first post to be update with the last modifications. I did this things int he past days:
- Created sourceforge account for the project so we can have the version revisions. (http://sourceforge.net/projects/prequengine)
- Images fade out like original game (fade to black) with options to turn it into a cross fade (fade to another image) which is the currently state.
- Open and Play FLA movies.
- FLA in fullscreen like in the original game. (I just notice it is a bit stretch, but its the way they use the fla movies resolution 320x200 instead of 320x240).

What I plan next is before organizing and comment all this code I'm doing this days, I will try to make a feature to open AVI movies instead of FLA movies. It will be set as a configuration in the lba.cgf file.

I'll post a version of the engine as soon as possible so everyone can see the results.

For now, I think we are going well, only me working this days and we already got something. With more people around and with assign task it will be great.

Old 2008-05-09, 08:33
Master of Degree

Wow, that's great progress, especially that you're making everything alone.

For keeping the movie aspect ratio maybe you could display them with black belts at the top and bottom of the screen.

Oh, and if we're going to use AVI files, we need to decide which codec they will be compressed with. I would go for an open-source one, and that could be easy to implement in the software (most likely in the way that it will be independent of codecs installed on the system).

Last edited by Zink; 2008-05-09 at 09:08.
Old 2008-05-09, 13:58
Magic Ball Master

Would XviD be alright to use? That's free, if I'm not mistaken, and gives great quality.
Old 2008-05-09, 14:48
Boobs!

Well there's a big range of codecs.

x264?

Edit:
After doing a lot of reading, x264 is MUCH better quality (not just statistical, but visual (doom9.org have a few images for comparison that are very good)) but takes a bit longer to encode.

In my opinion we should go for x264 - and it's free...

A poll maybe?

Last edited by SebZ; 2008-05-09 at 15:32.
Old 2008-05-09, 18:20
Magic Ball Master

The main problem is to actually manage to play this files with different codecs. h264 is indeed great, few space with moer quality, but I need to know first how I can decode it and play it.

Old 2008-05-09, 18:25
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebZ View Post
A poll maybe?
I don't think we need a poll, I would suspect everyone would be in favor of having a codec that offers the best quality for a relatively low file size. I had never heard of it before...I don't follow codecs that closely (and in spite of Obras' help numerous times, I still don't really understand what they are...especially when I encode my own videos with MediaCoder or AVIDemux).

That being said, I have always been in favor of having an option for this project which would be either a DVD-sized release or something people could use with an disc image mounter, rather than have to confine ourselves to the size of a CD-ROM. In fact, this would be cool, because we could have Jesse's uncompressed audio and higher quality videos.
Old 2008-05-10, 01:19
Boobs!

DJ - Uncompressed as in FLAC?

Alex - On the VideoLAN site, they have a link to the source...
Old 2008-05-10, 18:04
Magic Ball Master

I want something that we can use directly on SDL lib and not manage my self the video decodes, but it won't be easy to find. I found sdl_ffmpeg but it isn't supported with MSVSC that I'm using.

Old 2008-05-10, 18:28
Magic Ball Master

Btw, I'm also thinking about using Doxygen to document the code, what you think?

Old 2008-05-11, 12:16
Magic Ball Master

Ok, I'm now working on commenting the source I did so far to work with doxygen. It is really great. We can make a html documentation automatically out of the code with lots of informations. This could help us find what we need from the code and also help all other projects to research in this engine for particulary things.

It will be good to have a espace in the website dedicated to this engine, with link to documentation and svn code.

I plan to make the first svn source release when I manage to comment what I already did.

Old 2008-05-11, 18:07
Master of Degree

That's great .
Old 2008-05-17, 10:56
Magic Ball Master

Ok guys, it seams we won't get the prequengine private forum since both admins never replied to me about their decisions.

Yesterday, I setup at our mantis webpage a public place for prequengine bug tracking list. People will be able to login anonymously or create their own account. Don't forgot that us, prequel team, have others private projects there.
So this mantis will be actually our prequengine resource for disscussions, bug reports, etc..

Also, I'd like everyone to test their accounts to see if they are working. If someone never enter in that page and never setup a password for it try login without a password. Also if someone couldn't enter, just leave me a note and I will reset your password to empty.

In this address http://lbaprequel.xesf.net/prequengine/doc is the current version of the engine documentations created out of the code with doxygen. This documentation and the engine will be available to public since they use the GPL license.
The documentation will be updated everytime we made changes in the code. I hope with it we can help our selfs tracking where we are and what we've done. Also will help other people to actually see the code and help us in something or use the code for themselfs.

I must say, since this is GPL project it could be used to other modifications projects like prequel but ofcourse we'll have in mind our firstly. The idea of this project is to build an exact copy of the original engine but with little differences, not things that actually change the way the engine works, because if we gone that way we probably build a new one from scratch and not used the original one which we don't want.

Our source code will be available at this page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/prequengine

Since I'm actually working alone yet most of the time (kat15pl wants to help something), I plan to make a front page news to recruite people to do the job. That way more talent people could get in touch with us and we could start making better progress in the game engine.

Also I want a little space in the website specially for this engine where all this informations will be there to public so evryone could see what we've done and things we need to accomplish.

Old 2008-05-17, 16:42
Magic Ball Master

I add a new news peice to recruit people to prequengine. I also add a menu page with some prequengine informations. Hope its all ok.

Old 2008-05-17, 17:01

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
Fantastic!

My question is: How will people like me (programming illiterates) be able to test the engine?
Old 2008-05-17, 18:02
Master of Degree

We will make compiled versions available for testing, I think.
Old 2008-05-17, 20:29
Magic Ball Master

Everyone with some programming knowledge can compile the source and try. I think we should only have a public release version when it gets alpha stage. Anyway, yes, we can make a version for the team. I plan to do it when I get a free compiler like gcc working with the project.

Old 2008-05-17, 23:27

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
So, is it possible that we might eventually create an LBA engine that will support models with higher amount of poly's and textures?
Old 2008-05-17, 23:29
Magic Ball Master

Its possible but not easy since if we add such thing we will need to change models rendering and animation playing. Will change a lot in the engine. Maybe with an expert in this sector will be more easy .

Old 2008-05-18, 23:25
Magic Ball Master

A little progress.
I'm trying to do things that aren't yet done in TwinEngine.

I manage to put FLA movies playing with sound samples in multiple channels.
I also manage to make the fade opcode, which does the fade in and fade out of certain frames.

Doing this made me see that I was doing the image fade in and out wrongly. I must correct before progress more with the game.

I also try to play midis but wasn't sucessful. It seams I need first to make some extractions from the files.

While making samples playing in FLA, I notice some of the files aren't well saved in HQR originaly. The first byte is 0 instead o the ascii character 'C'. This byte are part of the 'Creative Voice File' header which is needed for players to recognize the VOC version.
I didn't make yet samples to read directly from the HQR but this must be always checked and fixed while decompressing the file from HQR.

After correcting all those things and make it like the original, I plan to make grid simple display.