Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2004-10-25, 18:50
weee

Arrow The stuff that we watch on our box thread

Allow me to introduce: the official tv shows thread! Reviews, descriptions, discussions, etc. It all goes in here!
So... let's talk about tv shows!

Me first.

Farscape - (sience fiction) - Drakflame is so obsessed with this show, so I thought 'what the heck, let's try it'. I watched the first 2 episodes and I'm very disappointed.
An astronaut goes out for space to study his groundbreaking theory of superspeed space treveling. The results turned out to be a little wilder than expected: he got sucked into a wormhole! So far so good.
Now he meets some power-rangers-like aliens, and goes for adventures with no-so-bright science fiction ideas. Not original enough for my taste (mixture of Sliders and StarWars?), and again, boring.

I Dream of Jeannie - (comedy) - Probably the classicest tv show ever! An astronaut (hehe, again) makes a forced landing on some desert island. As he tries to write S.O.S. on th ground, he notices a little black bottle. He checks it out, wipe the dust out it a little, and a beatiful jeannie comes out!
From that moment on, Jeannie falls in love with him, and she gets to live with him eventually. Unfortunately for him, she does him more trouble than good. She only wants to be and play with him, but he wants a regular, normal life. Very good comedy, even the first black-and-white episodes.
Old 2004-10-25, 19:03
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish
I Dream of Jeannie - (comedy) - Probably the classicest tv show ever! An astronaut (hehe, again) makes a forced landing on some desert island. As he tries to write S.O.S. on th ground, he notices a little black bottle. He checks it out, wipe the dust out it a little, and a beatiful jeannie comes out!
From that moment on, Jeannie falls in love with him, and she gets to live with him eventually. Unfortunately for him, she does him more trouble than good. She only wants to be and play with him, but he wants a regular, normal life. Very good comedy, even the first black-and-white episodes.
YES!
They don't make TV shows like those anymore ^_^

Oh and Jeannie is HOT.

Ren & Stimpy -
One of my personal faves.
Ren the Chiuaua and Stimpy the cat are two good buddies who have all sorts of adventures. Quite sick and insane at times. Kinda like Looney Toons meets A Clockwork Orange
Old 2004-10-25, 19:35
Tomorrow burns!

Send a message via MSN to Illumina
This is my most freshest favorite:
Megaman NT Warrior - Megaman NT Warrior is an anime television show that began airing on the Kids WB on May 17th, 2003 at 8:30am Saturday morning. This story is based around an elementary school kid named Lan Hikari, who's best friend is his personal Net Navigator (Net Navi) Megaman, who resides inside his computerized PET (Personal Terminal). In Lan's day and age, every appliance and all types of systems are all connected to the internet. An evil crime organization known as the World 3 rises up and attempts to take control of the city by terrorizing Dentech City's networks. It's up to Lan, Megaman and all their friends to stop Dr. Wily and his World 3 henchmen from taking over the world! There are 56 episodes in all, featuring 2 complete seasons.
I think that it's wise to question anyone or anything who thinks that they have the answer. The ultimate sum of all natural laws comprise the concept of God. And I'd have to be smarter than I am to describe it. The only way to enjoy life is to enjoy it and not to try to spend your time to deconstruct it. Ultimately, on the most of tombstones it should read: "Humans: Fretted, worried, prayed, procreated, sacrificed, died anyway." - Devin Townsend
Old 2004-10-25, 20:18
Magic Ball Master

Futurama:

"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before it's time."

Bender B. Rodriguez - 4ACV11

A high-point in the history of animated television, Futrama had a great range of qualities, which all met the highest standards. A story arc spanning four seasons, supplemented by 20 minute segments of supreme laughter, sadness and joy, Futurama was more than a mere sci-fi comedy. Political satire (2ACV03) went hand in hand with fresh outlooks on theological debates (3ACV20), as well as with the protagonist becoming his ummm...own grandfather (3ACV19).

Whether you prefer the humour, emotion or romance of the show (all of which were fantastically entertaining), Futurama always tied together insightful, witty scripts with brilliant music (both chosen and composed) and extremely talented voice actors to supplement these themes, contributing greatly to the atomsphere and setting.

However one fundamental theme displayed throughout the course of Futurama was that no matter how the world may change over the course of the next 1000 years, some things will always stay the same.

[/messy, hyperbolic fanboy statement]
Old 2004-10-25, 22:25
the legend

The Twilight Zone - is a series i used to watch some time ago, really nice, talks about curious, mysterious, supernatural experiences and theories in human life. Each episode is with a different person i think, and also different storylines, but always with the same storyteller.

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2004-10-26, 01:57
Idyllic + whimsical

That '70s Show - The life of 6 buddies at the '70s and a few other people. I find it to be one of the funniest things on TV these days.

CSI / CSI: Miami - CSIs (Crime Scene Investigators) solve crimes with science. You learn lots of useless stuff about biology, physics and law with that show. Miami is a show that came after the success of the original CSI, and now there's also CSI: New York.

The Shield - Vick Macky is a corrupt cop, there's no denying that, but his heart is in the right place. Vick and his team sometimes decide to keep money found at a drug raid and such, but thanks to their unique way of action and connections in the streets, they take care of criminals and still look good at the station, more or less.

Do Over - A show about a 34 year old guy that somehow goes back to the '80s, to the time he was 14 year old. He lives over his teenage years, this time using his knowledge and experience to make his life better and save his parents' marriage. Too bad this show was wiped out and has only 15 episodes.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2004-10-26, 02:29

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
Quote:
Farscape - (sience fiction) - Drakflame is so obsessed with this show, so I thought 'what the heck, let's try it'. I watched the first 2 episodes and I'm very disappointed.
An astronaut goes out for space to study his groundbreaking theory of superspeed space treveling. The results turned out to be a little wilder than expected: he got sucked into a wormhole! So far so good.
Now he meets some power-rangers-like aliens, and goes for adventures with no-so-bright science fiction ideas. Not original enough for my taste (mixture of Sliders and StarWars?), and again, boring.

First two episodes?? That's all? You're judging a show based on 2/92 th of the entire series? You know, I made a review about Nadia based on seeing half of it, but at least I saw HALF of it, and didn't give a judgement based on 2 episodes. Really, how can you do such a thing?
Old 2004-10-26, 02:39
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Choas ~ For the love of sendel please stick with Farscape, the first series is barely an introduction! No original ideas is not something its possible to critise Farscape for
The first series really only establishs the charecters (which are certainly not easy to sum up in a single eppisodes...especialy the ""bad guys"").
If I only seen the first two eppisodes i wouldnt be that impressed either. (heck i still havnt actualy seen the first eppisode in full )

btw, They are makeing a film of IDOJ.
Havnt a clue how good it will be.
Seldom do classic comadys make good films. Bilko was the only ok one i know.

========================
Other shows:

24 ~ A real-time counter-terrorist drama that somehow manages to be a heck of a lot better then its discription.

More twists then a curly wirly, unplauseable co-incidences at every turn.......and yet someone it comes accross as scarly realistic.
Season 3 was frelling amazing,allthough Im histant they can pull off a third day.

Lexx ~ Farscapes low-budget, worse acted, dirty, alter-ego.
There is nothing much to compliment this program on, except, its freedom of ideas.
Little self-replicanting robot arms eating the universe? No problem.
A bad guy stuck inside the tv? normal stuff here.
Its fascinating and watchable, dispite being awfull.

Maid Marrian and Her Merry Men ~ Best old childrens program ever.

Roger and the Rotten Trolls ~ Best newish childrens program.supriseingly funny.

Reboot seasons 1 and 2 ~ Revolutionary, first CGI cartoon (way predateing Toy Story) but rather poor story wise.
Reboot seasons 3 and 4 ~ Less revolutionary, but absolutely amazing storylines. Very well directed too, dispite being CGI.

Stargate Atlantus ~ Lots of potential in the setting, good idea for bad guys physicaly, but very poorly excuted in the acting and motives.
Still, i only saw 3 eppisodes, so i reserve judgement.

Now and Again ~ Excelent show. Think 6 million dollar man, but cheaper.
Guy gets brain transplated into an artifialy created body after he gets hit by a train. (nicely showen in the titles, i might add)
Forced to work for some small govement operation in secret, but still loveing his wife and daughter and constantly planing his escape.
Dispite a few B-movie-ish plot ideas (evil guy controlling insects? please....), this is a superbly acted and put together program.
The focus is very strongly off the action and with the charecters, and it works well. Rather light-hearted program.
It was canceled after just 1 season, ending on a crawl cliff-hanger.

The others ~ No, not the film. This is an unrelated series.
I think of it as a Buffy anti-dote.
Buffy is great, but its basicaly all teenagers doing actiony stuff to save the world.
This is far more serious, small group with a huge age range using very limited supernatural gifts to help people in small ways.
Theres a few dodgy eppisodes, but most are very elligant with excelent acting.

Again, a series crawly cut short after 1 season.
I believe it had a lot of potential to become something big.

Last edited by Darkflame; 2004-10-26 at 02:53.
Old 2004-10-26, 03:15
Magic Ball Master

Lost -- A plane crashes on a deserted island nearby Australia, and the people left alive have to survive with eachother. Not only the characters but also the island hold some secrets. We learn about each character's history and their reasons for being on that plane step by step and see who they really while they're surviving on the island.

It's pretty nice, and it's easy to catch up now since there have only been 5 episodes broadcasted for now. I'm not sure how much episodes there will be in total.

24 is nice, I'm watching season 2 at the moment. As Darkflame stated, the coincidences are sometimes a bit over the top, as are the conspiracies that go unrealisticly deep into the government agencies. (The main character's daughter miraculously gets in all the worst situations that could happen, I'm surprised she didn't commit suicide out of traumatic frustrations .) Also the beginning of both series were a bit slow, but I guess that's because of the realtime flow of the story. Overall every episode has a fair bit of action/suspense/new developments.

Last edited by wacko; 2004-10-26 at 03:21.
Old 2004-10-26, 03:46
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Yes,
24: Season 4: Jack trys to save the earth from terrorists crashing a comit into the earth
....Meanwhile Kim gets stuck in a revolving door
Old 2004-10-26, 08:20
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Everything in the family~ <don't know the original title, just the Italian ones> Excelent show.
Actually, it talks about a black family - Michael Kyle (the father/husband), Michael Kyle Jr. (the son), Claire Kyle (the daughter), Janet Kyle (the mother/wife), and Caddy Kyle (the youngest daughter). I really like this show, especially the current episode, after Michael Jr. has been caught having sex in his parents' bed, and as a punishment, his room was moved into the garage. He he.

C. S. I. (Crime Scene Investigation) and C. S. I.: Miami ~ The best show I ever watched. Currently, I'm watching season 2 of C. S. I.: Miami on an Italian private TV channel, Italia 1 (which also airs EVERYTHING IN THE FAMILY). The good point is, that they air it once a week, but that one is two episodes. Two episodes per week. One after another. This is all I have to say. Excellent show.

Anyway: those are not shows, those are series. For me, TV shows are stuff like Weakest Link and Who Wants To Be A Millionaire...
Old 2004-10-26, 11:37
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame
Maid Marrian and Her Merry Men ~ Best old childrens program ever.
Yes!!!

My dad acted with Tony Robinson on stage you know...when they were both about ten that is (doing a production of Oliver, and my dad only had a small role ).
Old 2004-10-26, 13:04
Classic

Thats still very cool non-the less

Nice to see another fan, Merry Bloopy.
Old 2004-10-26, 14:43
Idot

Send a message via ICQ to Aule
Family guy and startrek is the best... my favourite star trek series are Deep Space 9 and Enterprice
Old 2004-10-26, 15:20
formerly just angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmeister
Yes!!!

My dad acted with Tony Robinson on stage you know...when they were both about ten that is (doing a production of Oliver, and my dad only had a small role ).

Point of intereset:

The kids in those shows were all from West Somerset Schools and it was all filmed around my home area in Porlock and Minehead. Some of my friends were actually in the show

As for Futurama - another fanboy here!
Old 2004-10-26, 15:37
weee

I love reading this thread, I'll check some of the recommendation out.

Wingie and Flamie: well you might be right. But from what I've seen Frascape isn't good imo... I mean, take Sliders for example, the first episodes were the best, especially the first one. If a show is good it should be showed in the first episodes.
Old 2004-10-26, 18:23
Classic

Not if the show is based on long story arcs/complex plots.

Quote:
Point of intereset:

The kids in those shows were all from West Somerset Schools and it was all filmed around my home area in Porlock and Minehead. Some of my friends were actually in the show
Cool.
I still have an VHS tape of the series somewhere....
Old 2004-10-26, 18:38
Party animal

I liked Deep Space 9, but found the original Star Trek boring.

Also The only Star Trek movie I saw (nemesis) was quite stupid.
Old 2004-10-26, 18:43
Party animal

Quote:
, take Sliders for example, the first episodes were the best, especially the first one. If a show is good it should be showed in the first episodes.
Yeah.
The first 2 seasons of sliders were great.
Don't really know how to explain it, but each episode was very..well, great.
You really had a kinda cool feeling in your stomach at the end of each episode.
Old 2004-10-26, 18:57
weee

I just watched the first episode of Lost and I like it a lot. Let's see how many more episodes I'll watch before getting bored of it
Old 2004-10-26, 19:02
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame
Reboot seasons 1 and 2 ~ Revolutionary, first CGI cartoon (way predateing Toy Story) but rather poor story wise.
Reboot seasons 3 and 4 ~ Less revolutionary, but absolutely amazing storylines. Very well directed too, dispite being CGI.
reboot... yeah i used to watch that, very well done, the movements were very smooth, and perfect.

And the idea is a bit original also.

There was another one i forgot the name, it was some transformers, there was a rat, a gorilla, a puma, smeting like that, also CGI.

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2004-10-26, 19:14
Hello

Send a message via MSN to Gustav Sweden
I used to like Ally (Mcbeal) a lot when it was in its heights about 4 or 5 years ago.
Simpsons.
Duck Tales and other Disney stuff was something I watched a lot when I was younger. I still like it.
X-Files.
Etc
Old 2004-10-26, 20:00
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarKid
There was another one i forgot the name, it was some transformers, there was a rat, a gorilla, a puma, smeting like that, also CGI.
Beast Wars.
Old 2004-10-26, 20:11
What is this place?

Send a message via ICQ to Atresica Send a message via AIM to Atresica Send a message via MSN to Atresica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakin
I liked Deep Space 9, but found the original Star Trek boring.

Also The only Star Trek movie I saw (nemesis) was quite stupid.
For the love of god, watch The Undiscovered Country and First Contact.
I heard Wrath of Kahn was good too, but I haven't seen it yet.

Do. Not. Watch. Enterprise. (the new series I mean)
Old 2004-10-26, 20:13
weee

I didn't like X-Files. It is boring and almost nothing really happens (from the episodes I saw).

Tags
series, shows, television