Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2011-09-26, 08:00
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
ah, ok.
Two adapations then.
Wiki-ing it there was a 1970's one that lasted 3 seasons, that must have been what I remembered.
Old 2011-10-03, 23:01
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Fringe 4epp1 - A great start to a new season. I wondered where they would go after last ones ending, but this seems a good direction.
Lots of interesting bits - allthough a lot to explain now. With the newline, what is the split between Walter/Walternate? How did the two universe's first meet?

Doctor Who: S6Epp13 "The Wedding Of River Song" - THAT. WAS. LIQUID. AWESOME.
Wow.
You could nitpick bits but there was more imagination in the first thirty seconds then just about anything else on TV.
Some fantastic lines as well.

Spoiler:

"I still have time to go to all Jacks stag partys"

But honestly, I love this intro;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixcSk...tailpage#t=54s

Long wait till next seasons - curious where they go from here.
Old 2011-10-13, 00:57
weee

Terra Nova - A quality science fiction show. A bit heavy and intensive though, a lot to take in. Just the pilot episode and you get thrown into two new worlds with not enough of an anchor. But I'll give it some more time, maybe I'll get used to it.
Old 2011-10-13, 01:26
Classic

Its on my check list
---
Person of Interest Epp1 - Not bad, not brillent. Good to see Michael Emerson again on a show.
Its kinda between "Early Edition" and "Burn Notice" in terms of plot.
Guy gets warned of some bad incident about to happen around someone - person can be the victim or the criminal.....all that knowen is it has something to do with them.
Decent enough premise.
Supprisingly they reveal precisely where the knowledge is coming from in the first episode. I kinda expected it to be teased for awhile.

Last edited by Darkflame; 2011-10-13 at 01:48.
Old 2011-10-13, 02:19
weee

Hmm, I'll check that one too.

Goodie, Billie Doux is reviewing the episodes of Terra Nova: http://billiedoux.blogspot.com/2000/01/terra-nova.html
That gives me a reason to watch the show. Billie always writes the most insightful reviews, it's like required reading to fully enjoy the episode. I always read her reviews since The Dead Zone (Lost, Heroes, Dexter).
Old 2011-10-13, 02:24
Classic

I'll check that out too.
I find most reviews of shows pretty shallow - looking for stuff to complain about, but at the same time often not paying enough attention to the show to do a proper critism.
Old 2011-10-13, 02:27
weee

Billie certainly does not do that. Just be aware of who writes the reviews for each show on www.billiedoux.com ... all the other reviewers in the site are not half as good as her.
Old 2011-10-15, 01:00
Classic

Batman : The Brave and the Bold "Mitefall" - a utterly stupid yet somehow beautiful 4th wall breaking final episode. This series has been a lot of fun and nice to see it go out on a highnote.
Basically Batmite - a creature from another dimension who watchs the show - decides he is fed up with the lighthearted sillyness of Brave and the Bold, and instead wants a darker Batman show on tv again. So he sets about making the show as bad as possible to get it cancelled. (which he ends up doing)
Old 2011-10-26, 08:20
Hello

Send a message via MSN to Gustav Sweden
This thread just had 88888 views.
Old 2011-10-26, 14:05
Classic

nice, my last post was 3333 :P

Anyway;

Once Upon A Time - Fantasy series were the atypical fairy tale characters have ended up in our world. Nicely, its played seriously and workes pretty well judgeing from this first episode.
Old 2011-10-28, 23:53
Hello

Send a message via MSN to Gustav Sweden
Anyone who watches Boardwalk Empire? Quite good 20s mafia series set in Atlantic City.
Old 2011-10-30, 11:42
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
right now i'm seriously addicted to breaking bad
Old 2011-10-30, 19:01

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
Terra Nova - A quality science fiction show. A bit heavy and intensive though, a lot to take in. Just the pilot episode and you get thrown into two new worlds with not enough of an anchor. But I'll give it some more time, maybe I'll get used to it.
Tried to watch the show and gave up after 40 minutes.

Terrible storytelling with more plotholes than a teen slasher. Horrible dialogue and bland characters. The opening scene with the orange felt completely fake. I did not at all get a sense that these people are living in a 3rd world country with nearly depleted resources. When they enter Terra Nova and see their new house, which is about 10 times bigger, brighter, and cleaner than their old run down apartment, the actors behave as if they're inside a Disney World commercial and completely miss the mark including the shock and disbelief they would experience. Then, 2 minutes later, it's all completely forgotten anyway as the Son decides to randomly get into a fight with his Dad that they now live in paradise. This makes total sense. I assume the writers read somewhere that Hollywood family characters need to have conflicts and could not think of a better one.

7th Heaven had a more believable and infinitely less annoying nuclear family than these guys.

Another thing. We have an escaped prisoner who flees in front of police officers through a portal, but when he comes out on the other side, the commander of the new colony says, "I don't really care about some laws from 85 million years in the future."

Really?

Really???

The government responsible for completely sponsoring this time travel and colonization program has no influence on the other side? Nice way of insulting your audience's intelligence there. Pure garbage.

Ironically, "Terra Nova" has one of the most captivating and intriguing premises I've seen on TV: a family from a dystopian cyberpunk future is transported into a Lost World type of setting, 85 million years in the past. Here is a great example of how you completely ruin the execution.
Old 2011-10-30, 21:07
Classic

I think your being unfair on a few points.
The colony...which apperently didnt have crime...probably would have taken far too much effort to set up a prison purely to deal with one guy. Making him work as normal was probably the best option. (also, the people in the future might not have that much influence if the trips are purely one way, and radio contact is only whenever the portal is open....was that every few months? I cant quite remember...wasnt constant anyway).

That said, while I dont think the conclusion was illogical, the conversation certainly wasnt well handeled and was all a bit too casual.
As for his Son, he was just annoyed his dad couldnt controll is temper and thus got sent to Jail for so long. A touch contrieved, but it wasnt about the new house.

If you want something to really complain about, try the 3rd episode...now that had a lot of insulting plot points.
Old 2011-11-30, 21:22
Classic

Misfits s3epp1-3 - Still good stuff. Theres no way in hell this would be ported to the US though :P

Once Upon A Time - (epp1-4) - Slow paced, but I love the universe they are building. Characters are solid, no major plotholes and overall fairly gripping. Its rather odd to have a dramatic fairytale, but it works.

Community Season1 - This is fantastic. One of my favorate comadys. Its not up there with MyNameIsEarl or SPACED, but certainly better then HIMYM or BBT.
Old 2011-11-30, 23:40
weee

This season of Misfits is really great (just like the previous ones). And it's getting 8 episodes instead of 6. (yay!) Wait till you see episode 4, it was pretty mind blowing!

I love how the "heroes" of this show are all so despicable. If I could I'd kick each one of them in the nuts. Not that it's entirely their fault, they all fell into a life of crime by a harsh society, yada yada, but if they were real I'd like to see them all locked up in prison where they won't be able to hurt any more people. And despite (or because of) all that they're really making the show work. Such a show would never be allowed to be made in USA, only in Britain. (edit: I just noticed you said the exact same thing in your post there)
Old 2011-12-03, 21:46
Classic

Indeed!
If it was american (aside from removing all the nudity, sexual jokes etc), they would make sure the "heroes" were all just missunderstood, or not really guilty. You would never see them do anything wrong.

Admitably it isnt often their fault for the things they are accused off....but then, they are often guilty of other stuff they didnt get caught for :P

I look forward too seeing the rest of the season

===

Dr Who s6 (mini in-between episodes included on the dvd release) - very nice idea, and a few of these are quite fun. Admitably out of the context of the episodes some are a bit confusing.
Still, River Songs story is really quite beautifully, and this just helps emphasis's it.
-
btw, for people that have seen all of the recent seasons of Dr Who, theres a nicely edited summery of her life done in order from her perspective. (ie, her apperances reordered to fit her chronological timeline). Amazingly, it all fits together very well.
Was on a Doctor Who Confidential, which normaly arnt worth watching. Now its on youtube (poor quality rip). Worth watching for fans.
Too bad Steven Moffat didnt write Lost....
Old 2011-12-04, 16:53
weee

Things are looking pretty grim for Fringe... http://www.ismyshowcancelled.com/chart/
I'd be very surprised if it gets renewed for another season. I love that show.
Old 2011-12-04, 17:06
Classic

fuck.
I thought shows with 4 seasons normaly made it to 5 as that was better for sindication.
Old 2011-12-08, 07:16

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
Like Farscape. :-]
Old 2011-12-08, 13:21
weee

Looks like there might be hope yet after all: 'Fringe' Season 5: Still a possibility, despite ratings dip
Old 2011-12-08, 14:59
Classic

I'd say the biggest problem is the insane number of breaks in this season. TV companies cant seem to keep a serialised show on for more then 3 weeks without a break these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightwing View Post
Like Farscape. :-]
Remember, Sci-Fi claimed it was 5 seasons by splitting 4 up. Not that that helps anyone.
Futurama also had messed up numbering, but that one got a happy ending.
Old 2011-12-12, 22:39
weee

Misfits 3x07 - I think this episodes was the writers' way of saying: "Yes, we know this show is morally fucked up. That's the point. Just go with it."
Old 2011-12-12, 23:20
Classic

Misfits 3x04 - Great stuff (yeah, Im way behind). One nit-pick...
Spoiler:
The old guy should have still been stabbed when he returned to the future. Seeing as the phone was still in the past, he obviously still made his trip as before (and presumbly still has his powers)
Old 2011-12-13, 00:16
weee

Maybe Spoiler:
when Kelly returned back from the past she went back to the present, and not to the few-days-ago when the old guy returned, thus he's already been treated and healed from the stab wound.

Tags
series, shows, television