Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2012-02-03, 17:25
/ʤæmfɪʃ/

Yeah, haha, in Outnumbered basically the producer takes the kids into a corner and says "Well, why don't you ask them about this?" or "Tell them what you think about that." That's why, unusually for a sitcom, the kids feel like kids and not children acting like adults. I like Outnumbered a lot.

I recently watched the TV specials of Ruby in the Smoke and Shadow in the North. Was incredibly surprised to see Matt Smith pop up alongside Billie Piper! Ruby in the Smoke was great, although they had to cut out a lot of stuff from the book. Shadow in the North fell flat for me, especially Spoiler:
Frederick's death. It was nowhere near as heartbreaking as I felt it should have been.
Altogether though, I was pleasantly surprised that Billie Piper could pull off Sally Lockhart as well as she did.
And gave it a name, so then it wasn't mine
Old 2012-02-06, 18:37
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
You might also consider trying Mondern Family. Its basically a US version of outnumbered Its not as good as outnumbered, but still pretty funny.
--
OnceUponATime epp11 - Still brilliant. Odd that my favorite drama at the moment is a fairytale. Special effects seemed to have improved too.
I also love the Evil Queen/Mayor character - the relationship between her and the protagonist is rather close to the one between the mother and queen alien in the "V" series I note.
My only issue a bit I did see a few plotpoints of this epp coming a mile off.

LifesTooShort s1epp5 - not as funny as the others but still a good chuckle.
Old 2012-03-16, 22:55
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Community s3e11 - The best comedy on US tv is finally back...with a not so great epp. bah.

Dirk Gently s1epp1/2 - hehe, I enjoyed this. I always thought Dirk Gently was better then the Hitchhikers Guide, and as a loose adaption it works well as a tv series.
Old 2012-03-25, 04:43
weee

Fringe 4x15 - OH MY GOD, that was TERRIBLE. Who wrote this crap?! Stop ruining my favorite shows with shitty episodes.
Old 2012-03-25, 11:43
Classic

arg, disapointing to hear.
I did read a Fringe comic "Fringe: Beyond the Fringe" which was set from Peters perspective when he stepped into the machine to when he was erased for history - it was better then most of episodes this season.
---

Avatar: Legend of Korra Epp1/2 -
Wahoooo.....I get a fun action adventure series back again. Love the worldbuilding here. Its set 100 years after Avatar:The Last Airbending, and technology/society has clearly progressed. (more so then in Star Trek with its "next gen" :P).
I love alt-universe/alt-tech/alt-soceitys etc. Not futuristic, just different.

As with before, excellent humor and a continuous plot with lots of elements introduced that will surely pay of latter. Animation budget seems to have gone up too - I see more detail in the backgroundss, better shadows etc.

Only minor crits is there was a few tired cliches but fortunately it gets past them quickly.
Very much looking forward too the rest.
Old 2012-03-25, 23:59
weee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
arg, disapointing to hear.
I did read a Fringe comic "Fringe: Beyond the Fringe" which was set from Peters perspective when he stepped into the machine to when he was erased for history - it was better then most of episodes this season.
I should read that. Episode 4.15 was almost like jumping the shark. It was awful. It brakes my heart when such a smart show gets such a stupid episode. I kept hoping this whole episode would turn out to be some brain damaged character's hallucination.

2 lowest points:
Spoiler:
An apparatus that slows down videos. STUPID STUPID STUPID STUUUUPID11!!1!!!

Peter couldn't be erased from the timeline because of a thing that can't be explained by science. I believe your people call it "love". PUKE PUKE PUKE PUKE!! PUKLRKRKRKRK!!
Old 2012-03-26, 20:25
a well established member

Send a message via MSN to Echomote
So, I just got Netflix. Where to start?
Old 2012-03-26, 23:28
Classic

Dunno what its got.

Farscape? Jekyll? Avatar: The Last Airbender? I could name dozens of shows I have really enjoyed from start to finnish.

Films, well, Top Secret? That was darn funny I saw recently even though its old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
2 lowest points:
Spoiler:
An apparatus that slows down videos. STUPID STUPID STUPID STUUUUPID11!!1!!!

Peter couldn't be erased from the timeline because of a thing that can't be explained by science. I believe your people call it "love". PUKE PUKE PUKE PUKE!! PUKLRKRKRKRK!!
Spoiler:

Yes, like a earler epp where they had a "tape" where they retrieved footage that was recorded over? It would have been fine if it wasn't a SD card they were holding.
But, who knows, maybe in this case for some reason Walter had a camera going at 60fps. But then, you wouldnt need a special machine to slow it down.
bah.

As for the love stuff. Yeah. I dont mind that he came back due to his mental connections with people as such - but the idea it "cant be explained by science" is very un-Fringe.
Old 2012-04-12, 20:54
Classic

Fringe 4x17 - better.
-
Alcatraz - arg, finally some plot progression and its the season end. pft.
Old 2012-05-07, 12:27
Classic

Fringe 4x19 - That was wtf ish. Interesting....but is this cannon? an alt-universe? They never portrayed the observers as being like that before, so if its our universe/timeline they really need a good explanation!

Fringe -04x21 Better then a lot of recent epps too, but still with its flaws. I am amazed you-know-who is back as well.
I really dont like the bad-guys supposed motivation though - its stupid and supervillianish. Id much rather...
Spoiler:
He is somehow working to destroy the observers as he sees them as a threat.

Game of Thrones s1e1-4 - meh. Boring. I thought this would be good, but its just nudity, violence, and precious little story. Normaly a witty line or two in a eppisode, and its well produced Id give them that. But its sooo slow.
Theres only so much time people can spend onscreen talking about how bad Winter is before I turn off.

Ultimate Spiderman s1epp1/2 - bah. Trying wayyyy too hard to be funny and its not. Its a obnoxious childrens cartoon. And before anyone says thats what it should be, you should watch the previous "Spectacular Spiderman" cartoon that this one canceled.
That told better storys, was well animated AND was funnier.
Theres nothing worse then a show trying too hard too be funny, rather then just letting it come.

Avatar: Legend of Korra epp1-3 - As beautiful, interesting, and as gripping as expected. Some clinches here and there, but what a amazing world! Really nice too see some interesting alt-universe's on tv.

Dexter s1epp1/2 - Yeah, bit late here but started watching. Seems interesting. Oddly its a bit like KyleXY with the voiceover narration of someone "not quite human".
Old 2012-05-07, 21:28
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Quote:

Game of Thrones s1e1-4 - meh. Boring. I thought this would be good, but its just nudity, violence, and precious little story. Normaly a witty line or two in a eppisode, and its well produced Id give them that. But its sooo slow.
Theres only so much time people can spend onscreen talking about how bad Winter is before I turn off.
What's that that left forever?
Oh, right, your credibility.
Old 2012-05-08, 07:44
Classic

I stand by what I said. Its well produced, but poorly written, at least on those 4 episodes. It probably gets attention for its nudity/gore.

At one point a guy walks in, talks about winter for 5 minutes, and walks out....apparently completely forgetting why he walked in there to start with
They could easily half the length of those epps and nothing would be lost storywise.
Old 2012-05-08, 11:35
Look beyond reality.

Well I'd suggest remembering everything that's being said. One of the complaints (especially on season 2) is that the pacing is incredibly high. Things that are adressed in the books in like 100 pages get only one tiny mumbled line in the series. The viewer is considered to hear and see every detail in the series in order for the full story to still be told in one episode. (this includes looking up family trees and such if you didn't read the book and don't know exactly who is who). The number of main characters in season 2 are about 30, and the rest of the characters you would need to memorize are around 60 I guess? And that's just the characters, not even the different types of religions, the rich and complicated history, etc.
Old 2012-05-09, 21:15
Neko

so..game of thrones...recommendable? I didn't see it yet.
Old 2012-05-10, 19:15
Look beyond reality.

Definitely!
Old 2012-05-11, 00:18
Classic

Definitely Not! :P

Quote:
Well I'd suggest remembering everything that's being said. One of the complaints (especially on season 2) is that the pacing is incredibly high.
Well, I rarely remember that problem with any show.
"too slow" is far more common in tv.

Quote:
(this includes looking up family trees and such if you didn't read the book and don't know exactly who is who). The number of main characters in season 2 are about 30, and the rest of the characters you would need to memorize are around 60 I guess? And that's just the characters, not even the different types of religions, the rich and complicated history, etc.
Well, many shows I have watch have had large cast's - thats not really a problem. We (humans) tend to be good at separating and remembering separate stories for different people."Lost" being a obvious example that, at its best, juggled a pretty large number of characters each with (increasingly elaborate) life histories.

I think the key is we are good at remembering events rather then details. That is, what happens, rather then precise dates or scenery etc.
The problem is imho, if a show expects you to remember a lot when nothing much seems to be happening. Why should I invest effort unless theres stuff to hold my attention
As I said, based on those 4 episodes I didnt have any idea there was much to remember because nothing seemed important. (expect, well, stuff at the ends of the episode - but thats common with most serialized shows)

That all said, I can certainly appreciate the complexity of doing a book adaption like this.
I am puzzled why they reversed the title/subtitle though.
========

OnceUponATime s1epp20
- Still quite brilliant. Really cant see where they are going with this. Admittedly a lot of the fun of the show does come from Robert Carlyle, who really is a fantastic actor.

Legend of Korra s1epp5
- Great worldbuilding and humour, superb animation. However, the story is too straightforward at the moment. Needs some twists/unexpected stuff. At the moment it isnt quite upto the standard set by Avatar.

Caste s1epp1-3 - Seems like a fun detective show. Plots arnt that original (Killer copying an authors work?) but the characters humor make up for it.
Old 2012-05-11, 13:17
Idyllic + whimsical

DF I haven't seen the show yet and I might feel the same after those 4 episodes, but I don't recall any show from the drama genre that got me hooked in such a short time. I usually try to push forward for a few more episodes.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2012-05-11, 14:05
Look beyond reality.

Quote:
We (humans) tend to be good at separating and remembering separate stories for different people."Lost" being a obvious example that, at its best, juggled a pretty large number of characters each with (increasingly elaborate) life histories.
Personally I loved Lost for that complexity. I loved realizing that X was Y's sister who knew Z's father and they all didn't know it from each other.
Game of Thrones shares the same complexity. And just like Lost, there is no good or bad. All they characters make a valid point at doing what they do.

Just keep watching, and I hope the series will appear less dull later on
Old 2012-05-11, 14:36
Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex_Hollywood View Post
DF I haven't seen the show yet and I might feel the same after those 4 episodes, but I don't recall any show from the drama genre that got me hooked in such a short time. I usually try to push forward for a few more episodes.
hmm.
Well, Lost had me hocked exactly on the 4th epp :P

hmz..24 I was hocked first epp - but obviously thats a lot more straightforward.

Prison Break was longer - I think epp6 or so got me when the riot started and the "shit hit the fan".

I lot of my favorite shows actually tended to start of episodic then get progressively more serialized. Farscape and B5 fall into this category, starting straightforward then getting heavily serialized.

Gargoyles (my favorite all time animated show) hocked me on epp1 - but then I am cheating, as that was a 5 parter :P

Once Upon a Time - Enjoyed from epp1, didnt really start doing more complex storytelling too a few epps in. (Very Lost-like in the way some flashbacks tie into other flashbacks, but are presented out of order)

So, yes, I guess I have given some shows longer although they do often entertain me more in other ways upto that point.
Old 2012-05-11, 15:48
the legend

Quote:
Well, Lost had me hocked exactly on the 4th epp :P
Lost got me hooked on the 2nd episode or so. And it's so far the only series that got me hooked.

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2012-05-12, 19:01
Neko

The office, got me hooked

himym to
Old 2012-05-12, 19:59
Classic

HIMYM is great, but I cant say I am truely hocked.
S2/S3 it peaked, been going downhill since really. They kinda gave up on having a planned narrative at that point I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
Lost got me hooked on the 2nd episode or so. And it's so far the only series that got me hooked.
hmz...it is certainly harder to think of a show that was more "wtf I need to know what happens next".

Farscape had that, but only from roughly season 2 onwards (when it went from episodic to serialized). But even then it didnt have quite the same end of epp cliffhangers Lost did ('cept in the season and mid-season finals). Still, fantastic ideas and lots of cliche subverting.

24, was is basicly nothing but hourly cliffhangers. Very well done, but certainly its "easy" in its suspense. It doesn't have a rich mythology, its more from moment to moment horrible situations and seeing how (or if) people get out of them. Simple really, but it did work, at its peak (s5 imho) I definitely wanted the next epp pronto.

Babylon 5 - again though, like Farscape didnt really kick of till its second season. It did build up quite a mythology though, and had a really good ending....before it was renewed for a 5th season

Parts of Fringe, early Heroes, Misfits s2, The Sarah Connor Chronicles s2...

Come to think of it, a lot of shows that have hocked me have taken a lot longer then Lost to get going. Allthough, arguably, many kept it together longer too.
I guess many shows dont feel confident doing serialized stuff without first doing more episodic stuff.

Currently OnceUponATime is the only show I am constantly wanting more of. But even thats not really due to urgent cliffhangers....its more just because I have no clue where they are going with it.
Old 2012-05-23, 21:20
Classic

For the doctor who fans:

Next season trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5iwoRA2Cas

Personally I dont think it makes such a great season trailer - its pretty standard episode trailer and completely avoids the more epic/interesting ongoing stuff.

It also misses a opertunity for a anniversary trailer. After all, there has been a 50 year setup somewhat for the First Question. The question hidden in plain site. The question he has been running from his whole life....
(seriously, last season, I knew River Songs story from a mile away, but ¨the question¨ reveal at the end blew my mind)
Old 2012-05-25, 22:14
Classic

Once Upon A Time season final - Pretty excellent. Every major plotpoint from before covered, flashback storyline neatly tied to the present, a heartfelt conclusion.
Oh, and a Dragon being shot at.

Last few minutes are a bit "oh, we been renewed! quick! cliffhanger!" but I dont care

Community s3 final - While not as funny as its peak, its still as fresh and original. Very nice Hiest movie parody, a show thats completely told as a 16bit videogame, and a character crossing over from a evil universe.
Old 2012-06-19, 21:50
Classic

Legend of Korra s1epp10 - Jaw dropping fantastic. I swear more happens in one episode of this then 5 episodes of anything else. How they cram so much story in 20mins I have no idea. Also I have no idea where its going.

Tags
series, shows, television