Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2014-01-27, 20:00
Polly parrot

Keep mines in please !

Wait... you always do stuff to piss people off... Does that mean you'll only remove my quotes now ?
Old 2014-01-27, 20:34
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Keep mines in please !

Wait... you always do stuff to piss people off...
Wut?
Old 2014-01-28, 00:37
Magic Ball Master

"The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo"

I tottaly recommend this movie. It is the first of a series of movies that were re-released in (2008?). They originate from the books that were released back in the 90's, and talk about several important subjects, such as Corruption, women abuse (the main subject), government secrets, etc. It has some very - very- strong scenes half-way through the movie, due to what it talks about, but its nothing that will make you think about stop watching the movie. The personalities of the characters are the best in the movie - In the books, they are amazingly detailed (I have read the first one, buying the other 2), and you are certain to fall in love with "Lisbeth", one of the protagonists. You will see why if you watch the movie, I won't give any spoilers

I recommend to realy pay attention to the movie, as it is somewhat hard to follow. You are bound to enjoy it, I promisse!
Old 2014-01-28, 00:44
Polly parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Wut?
Wutwut ? I mean she likes to piss off people, so she'll get rid of my quotes, just because I want her not to !
Old 2014-01-28, 01:05
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosmapf View Post
"The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo"

I tottaly recommend this movie. It is the first of a series of movies that were re-released in (2008?). They originate from the books that were released back in the 90's, and talk about several important subjects, such as Corruption, women abuse (the main subject), government secrets, etc. It has some very - very- strong scenes half-way through the movie, due to what it talks about, but its nothing that will make you think about stop watching the movie. The personalities of the characters are the best in the movie - In the books, they are amazingly detailed (I have read the first one, buying the other 2), and you are certain to fall in love with "Lisbeth", one of the protagonists. You will see why if you watch the movie, I won't give any spoilers

I recommend to realy pay attention to the movie, as it is somewhat hard to follow. You are bound to enjoy it, I promisse!
But what would you improve?
Old 2014-01-28, 02:45
Magic Ball Master

Make the movie a tad less confusing and explain, in a better way, what happened in the end, as it is one of the main reasons to what happened in the second one. They hid a lot that happened in the end of the movie just to preview the second movie, something that does not happen in the books.

Spoiler:
In the books, after Mikael and Lisbeth won the "war" against Wennerstrom and Lisbeth steals all his money, she starts to fall in love with Mikael and buys him a christmas gift (she never gifts anyone, or better, barely talks to anyone), but she later sees him with Erika (Mikael's lover) and becomes broken-hearted, thus turning her away from everyone once again as the plot of the second movie starts to show up
, Spoiler:
In the movies, she just dissapears after she hands Mikael the evidences that he needed to clear his name and then appear once again on a security camera after she stole all of Wennerstrom's money

I could also say "make the movie bigger", but every movie that is based on a book deserves that, so its just useless to point it out.

Spoiler:
It is also never showed in the movie that Mikael went on "vacation" for two months before releasing his special edition version of the Millenium, a time he used to create the a book with all the details of the dirty things Wennerstrom did, and also to create the magazine

Last edited by marcosmapf; 2014-01-28 at 14:29.
Old 2014-01-28, 11:52
Polly parrot

Put the spoilers in spoiler tags, I guess there are people here who already saw it
Old 2014-01-28, 22:42
ffffff

Quote:
Keep mines in please !

Wait... you always do stuff to piss people off... Does that mean you'll only remove my quotes now ?
yes.

srsly tho i go by oldest first so your other one can stay for a while. also dude i don't do things to just piss people off, there has to be comedy value in it

so, to contribute:

harry potter

no spoiler tags because everyone knows the plot to harry potter.

i have this gigantic head-canon retcon of the harry potter series which creates a decent love interest for harry potter. basically, i make luna lovegood into luna lestrange (bellatrix's daughter), a slytherin, throw in a bunch of other stuff i'm not going to go into involving time travel and azkaban (i have no fucking idea why rowling didn't explore probably the most interesting and terrifying location in her books but ok), and kill harry potter off in the end. i'm sorry but he has to die at the end.

1) ginny was a terrible, terrible character and their romance was completely tacked in as an afterthought. i mean, fuck, if you're going to write a romantic interest for your main fucking character in your insanely popular seven-book series, you need it to be epic or don't fucking bother. ginny's personality changed completely around book 5/6. before that she was non-existent, and all of a sudden she comes back as the prettiest girl in the school, an amazing fighter, fantastic at sports, brilliant in academics and loved by all and every time harry potter walks past her he gets an erection. fuuuuuck that.

2a) i truly never understood the houses in hogwarts. ever since i started reading them i expected the moral at the end to be "don't judge a book by its cover" - that there was no real intrinsic difference between the houses (in the good/evil) sense but... no, she played it straight. griffindor are awesome, slytherin are evil, ravenclaw are kind of ok and hufflepuff are non-existent. for starters, hermionie should have been sorted into ravenclaw - she's the smartest fucking girl in the year. and ron... why aren't the weasleys all hufflepuffs? if she was going to play it like that, she at least needed to make him a bit more awesome. the distribution between interesting characters and their houses was bullshit.

2b) as a result i really wanted a love interest in slytherin for harry. one, because conflicts, opposing elements and characters misunderstanding one another make for good drama and great romance and two, to mirror the romance between lily and snape (the latter is arguably the best and most sympathetic character in the book). i'd also want her to mirror harry (i.e. famous with slytherins as bellatrix is voldemort's second in command, universally hated by griffindors because of that, grew up lonely and without a family). i'd also want her to be in love with harry throughout the book but unable to show her feelings because of all that crap because i fucking love that shit.

3) fuck the weasleys, the shittiest characters in the book. yeah, the twins are fun and ron is alright i guess, but they take up like 80% of the later books and fuuuuuck no one gives a shit about ron's extended family.

4+) a bunch of stuff i can't really remember right now.

i would undo this:

Spoiler:

if you know what i'm referring to you win a prize.

tl;dr: this is literally the worst post
[21:53] <OBattler> i just don´t believe in behaving like either an animal
[21:53] <OBattler> or like adolf hitler

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreGGy View Post
Opinions are like testicles, everyone has theirs - Those are my opinions and I have no fear to show them to you.
Quote:
but that's what it is, the troll is a rapist
a soul rapist

- Link, 2013
*~ Anakin ~ Mia ~ Rex_Hollywood ~ Jesse ~ Jasiek ~ Kitarii ~ Twinsan ~ BFFs 4 lYfE ~*
Old 2014-01-28, 23:21
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
The movie or the shows?
I can think of a few improvements to both Airbender and Korra, but only minor things. Dues-ex endings to fix mostly.

But the live action film? How could you do anything to recover that O_o

-

I actually agree about azkaban. Its a shame rights holders arn't more open, as Id love to see the full universe of Harry Potter explored in more films and shows. I mean, we really only saw a tiny amount of the world.

Also, its not like Fans cant make kick-ass stuff;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpNp8WdQOoo

(Its even filmed in 4K O_o)
Old 2014-01-28, 23:46
Polly parrot

Indeed, more Azkaban would've been nice. I love the... how are the guards called in english ? Dementor ? Detraqueur ? They are the most awesome creatures through the whole book !

You're right about the perception of the houses, even though it is not that much stereotyped, Slytherin students are still hated by everyone, even most of the teachers that's discrimination/houseism.

The seventh book is messed up, it's nothing but boring things happening, what was interesting before was the world she created, all-flavoured candy ? A giant snake killing by looking at you and traveling through chimneys ? Dementamajigs ? A magical sport event ? A place where memories, time-traveling devices and death ad love themselves are stored ?? Split up your soul to outlive your body ??? Hell yeah !
Book seven : stuff... meh

edit : wow, nice vid DF.

Last edited by Polaris; 2014-01-28 at 23:57.
Old 2014-01-28, 23:50
ffffff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
The movie or the shows?
I can think of a few improvements to both Airbender and Korra, but only minor things. Dues-ex endings to fix mostly.
ah, the tv show. i actually really liked it and can't really think of anything i'd actually change to improve it. er, except that. that one thing.

what would you change? i'm not very sensitive to plot holes, i'm more a drama sort of gal.

i couldn't even watch 5 minutes of the last airbender film. i keep forgetting it exists (probably for the best).

legend of korra is a difficult one. it attempted to do a strong female character and kind of failed at it. korra as a character is frustrating, one-dimensional and for me, really unlikeable.

Spoiler:
the romantic aspect of korra (which in a:tla, although was horribly disappointing, was still really well-written and enjoyable) was about as tender as a trip to the dentist. i seriously hope they don't give her a new love interest in the third season (if there is one) because it's only going to be rushed and tacked on there for people who were disappointed with the whole a:tla thing.

the ending episodes for the second series kind of redeemed it a little bit (favourite a:tla character makes a return; bolin actually does something that doesn't make me want to eat my own head with embarrassment; my favourite aang kid turns out to be really awesome; tenzin does something other than be disappointed at korra; bumi is hilarious, etc.) but i'm not sure it made up for how boring the rest of the series was.

Quote:
I actually agree about azkaban. Its a shame rights holders arn't more open, as Id love to see the full universe of Harry Potter explored in more films and shows. I mean, we really only saw a tiny amount of the world.
to be honest, harry potter was mediocre in that sense: the lore was all borrowed and the world contradicted itself so much that even i saw plot holes. which didn't matter until after the third/fourth book, when everything turned to shit, it became really long-winded and boring and a lot of the characters lost my interest. it had the power to be a much better series than it ended up being and i think even the writer has said that she wasn't happy with anything she did after the third book.

Quote:
Also, its not like Fans cant make kick-ass stuff;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpNp8WdQOoo

(Its even filmed in 4K O_o)
oh man, i don't think i can watch that. the acting is actually causing me pain. nice effects for something amateur though.
[21:53] <OBattler> i just don´t believe in behaving like either an animal
[21:53] <OBattler> or like adolf hitler

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreGGy View Post
Opinions are like testicles, everyone has theirs - Those are my opinions and I have no fear to show them to you.
Quote:
but that's what it is, the troll is a rapist
a soul rapist

- Link, 2013
*~ Anakin ~ Mia ~ Rex_Hollywood ~ Jesse ~ Jasiek ~ Kitarii ~ Twinsan ~ BFFs 4 lYfE ~*

Last edited by A_LIPSTICK; 2014-01-29 at 00:05.
Old 2014-01-29, 00:11
Polly parrot

The 4K quality crashed my screen/comp
Old 2014-01-29, 01:06
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_LIPSTICK View Post
yes.

srsly tho i go by oldest first so your other one can stay for a while. also dude i don't do things to just piss people off, there has to be comedy value in it

so, to contribute:

harry potter

no spoiler tags because everyone knows the plot to harry potter.

i have this gigantic head-canon retcon of the harry potter series which creates a decent love interest for harry potter. basically, i make luna lovegood into luna lestrange (bellatrix's daughter), a slytherin, throw in a bunch of other stuff i'm not going to go into involving time travel and azkaban (i have no fucking idea why rowling didn't explore probably the most interesting and terrifying location in her books but ok), and kill harry potter off in the end. i'm sorry but he has to die at the end.

1) ginny was a terrible, terrible character and their romance was completely tacked in as an afterthought. i mean, fuck, if you're going to write a romantic interest for your main fucking character in your insanely popular seven-book series, you need it to be epic or don't fucking bother. ginny's personality changed completely around book 5/6. before that she was non-existent, and all of a sudden she comes back as the prettiest girl in the school, an amazing fighter, fantastic at sports, brilliant in academics and loved by all and every time harry potter walks past her he gets an erection. fuuuuuck that.

2a) i truly never understood the houses in hogwarts. ever since i started reading them i expected the moral at the end to be "don't judge a book by its cover" - that there was no real intrinsic difference between the houses (in the good/evil) sense but... no, she played it straight. griffindor are awesome, slytherin are evil, ravenclaw are kind of ok and hufflepuff are non-existent. for starters, hermionie should have been sorted into ravenclaw - she's the smartest fucking girl in the year. and ron... why aren't the weasleys all hufflepuffs? if she was going to play it like that, she at least needed to make him a bit more awesome. the distribution between interesting characters and their houses was bullshit.

2b) as a result i really wanted a love interest in slytherin for harry. one, because conflicts, opposing elements and characters misunderstanding one another make for good drama and great romance and two, to mirror the romance between lily and snape (the latter is arguably the best and most sympathetic character in the book). i'd also want her to mirror harry (i.e. famous with slytherins as bellatrix is voldemort's second in command, universally hated by griffindors because of that, grew up lonely and without a family). i'd also want her to be in love with harry throughout the book but unable to show her feelings because of all that crap because i fucking love that shit.

3) fuck the weasleys, the shittiest characters in the book. yeah, the twins are fun and ron is alright i guess, but they take up like 80% of the later books and fuuuuuck no one gives a shit about ron's extended family.

4+) a bunch of stuff i can't really remember right now.

i would undo this:

Spoiler:

if you know what i'm referring to you win a prize.

tl;dr: this is literally the worst post
I agree with everything. Literaly everything.
The thing is, the movie "Avatar: The last Airbender" was simply horrible, and I wish it never existed. But the TV series, in contrast, are awesome and one of the best animations of all time. The new one, "The Legend of Korra", still loses to the original series, but it isn't far behind; the way that the first book and the second one ended was awesome and I realy want to know what will be the theme for the 3rd book.

And Korra... She was just a confusing character. She tried to be strong, but she had internal issues that didn't let her get anywhere close to that until the end of the 2nd book. The whole "Be better than Aang" thing was also kind of annoying. She can't be Aang, she just can't be as cool as he was.

Back on Harry Potter, the main issue was that she wasn't smart enough or just didn't know how to expand the world and the characters she created. They had SO MUCH POTENTIAL, but she just couldn't do anything great with them. Harry was a weak pussy that only accomplished things because he was always helped by his friends. If you notice, almost everything that he does in the entire series is with the help of someone.

Also, why did Hermione's timetrack necklace dissapear? If she had that all the time, couldn't she just go back and fix everything bad that happened to them? Or at least fix everything bad that happened in that same movie? It is just stupid.

Last edited by marcosmapf; 2014-01-29 at 01:17.
Old 2014-01-29, 01:25
Polly parrot

She had to give back the necklace at the end of the third book when she dropped enough classes to have a normal timetable.
Quote:
Harry was a weak pussy that only accomplished things because he was always helped by his friends.
Well, people in griffyndor are courageous, but no one said that they are smart
Seriously, griffyndor is the least sympathetic house. The majority of dark mages should've come from there, everyone is ready to fight and die for their ideas.
Old 2014-01-29, 01:28
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
She had to give back the necklace at the end of the third book when she dropped enough classes to have a normal timetable.
Oh realy? I don't remember any scene where they said that on the movies (I haven't read the books because the series looked uninteresting enough after the 3rd movie was released)
Old 2014-01-29, 01:33
Classic

The reason JKR killed Dumbledore was precisely because she felt harry relied on him too much.

Anyway, personally I think the would is pretty good. Yes, its a hodge-podge mix of lots of old fantasy ideas....but so was LOTRs.

Quote:
Also, why did Hermione's timetrack necklace dissapear? If she had that all the time, couldn't she just go back and fix everything bad that happened to them? Or at least fix everything bad that happened in that same movie? It is just stupid
You answered your own question. Its just too powerfuill and removes all drama.
Its a nice idea, but it shouldn't have been introduced to start with....or had much more rigid rules attached.

========

Anyway, my main issue with Avatar, and Korra is they tend to introduce elements at the last minutes to solve problems;
Spoiler:
Dilemma; Ang doesnt want to kill the firelord.
Solution; give him the ability to remove bending.

Dilemma; Korra has lost her powers
Solution; Ghost Ang fixs them

I love both shows, but honestly they sometimes have cheap resolutions. They really should introduce some of those end elements earlier, or think of different resolutions.

Oddly, plotwise, I think the best Avatar stuff is the comics.
"The Promise" parts1-3 is especially good. Has all the humor and imagination , but also feels a little better with its resolutions.
I really recommend it.
Old 2014-01-29, 02:50
Magic Ball Master

Could you link it in here? I'll probably read it when I have some free time
Old 2014-01-29, 13:31
Classic

That would be illegal

I am sure if you googled for, say "Avatar The Promise cbr" you would find links though.
You'd need a CBR reader too, like CDisplay Ex or ComicBook Reader.
(or you can just unrar...CBR files are just rars of jpegs, but its much easier to use a reader software)

After "The Promise" theres also "The Search" which isnt quite as good but still worth reading.
Both comics are set just after the end of Airbender's last season, so they sort of start to bridge between Airbender and Korra.
Old 2014-01-29, 19:06
Magic Ball Master

The problem is, being ilegal or not, I just won't be able to find it to buy in my country, and I'm sure of it. You just don't know how things work in here, lol.

And thanks, I will be looking for it then. Are they big, or it takes only a few hours to read through it all?
Old 2014-01-29, 22:23
Classic

Just a few hours, their not that long.
They are 3 parts each, with each one being, I dunno...about the same as 5 western weekly/bi-weekly comics or one normal sized tradeback.

Each one takes about 3 months to come out, your fortunately you can read them all at once

"The Rift" Which is the 3rd set (after "The Promise" and "The Search") has its first part out in march this year.
----
Legend of Korra (minor direction change) -
Spoiler:

This is a small thing, but I thought they really missed out on a opportunity when Korras getting her memory back, and we are seeing the story of the first avatar.
At the end, they should have had a sequence of the avatar spirit going from generation to generation, eventually reaching Ang then Korra a second before she wakes up and releases who she is.
It would have been so simple, but a lot more epic.

Last edited by Darkflame; 2014-01-29 at 23:35.
Old 2014-01-29, 23:05
Idyllic + whimsical

Quote:
Spoiler:
In the books, after Mikael and Lisbeth won the "war" against Wennerstrom and Lisbeth steals all his money, she starts to fall in love with Mikael and buys him a christmas gift (she never gifts anyone, or better, barely talks to anyone), but she later sees him with Erika (Mikael's lover) and becomes broken-hearted, thus turning her away from everyone once again as the plot of the second movie starts to show up
From what I recall, this is what happens in the american version.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2014-01-30, 01:29
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Just a few hours, their not that long.
They are 3 parts each, with each one being, I dunno...about the same as 5 western weekly/bi-weekly comics or one normal sized tradeback.

Each one takes about 3 months to come out, your fortunately you can read them all at once

"The Rift" Which is the 3rd set (after "The Promise" and "The Search") has its first part out in march this year.
----
Legend of Korra (minor direction change) -
Spoiler:

This is a small thing, but I thought they really missed out on a opportunity when Korras getting her memory back, and we are seeing the story of the first avatar.
At the end, they should have had a sequence of the avatar spirit going from generation to generation, eventually reaching Ang then Korra a second before she wakes up and releases who she is.
It would have been so simple, but a lot more epic.
I see, thanks a bunch Its been a rather easy month in my work because most newspaper aren't releasing a lot of important news yet, so I get nothing to do almost half of the day and I need something to ocupy myself with during that time :3

And aboout the Avatar scene that you just described, it would be indeed very cool. I haven't thought of that when I watched the series, but it would indeed make things much more epic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex_Hollywood View Post
From what I recall, this is what happens in the american version.
Oh... Guess it is more complete then the Swedish version then
The problem that I see with the American version (haven't watched it yet) is the actor that they hired to be Mikael...If you read the books, he just doesn't look like that, and I mean more about personality (at least of the actor) then the actuall looks.
Old 2014-01-30, 15:36
Magic Ball Master

Just finished reading it (took me 2 hours and a half or so) and oh god, I need more. I never realy enjoyed to read mangas or comic books online but wow, It was realy cool. Thanks for suggesting it
Old 2014-01-30, 18:01
Classic

No problem at all, glade you enjoyed them
(and yes, waiting is a pain)
Old 2014-01-30, 19:27
Polly parrot

Only two hours ? I guess I know what I'll do tomorrow afternoon