Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2014-04-16, 14:47
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Frédérick Raynal wants to build LBA3 now he released LBA for mobile

Hi there!

Just a quick word to tell you that Fred gave an interview to a developer magazine (issued the day before yesterday) and he announced that he wanted to build a new LBA community,using the mobile version of our beloved game. The plan is to have enough player support to convince a company to edit LBA3 for PC & Consoles.

Interview is in French here:

Some details about what he says in the interview:

- He is willing to make it really big with a big budget. (Not at a AAA game level though)
- He has a lot of clues about the story of LBA3 (several stories). It'll take place in the same universe as the previous games.
- He is looking for the right moment to start the project (he's starting another project that has nothing to do with LBA3 right now, and there are some people he wants to involve that definitely need to be available to start the project)
- He wants to start working on LBA3 at the same time as the LBA2 remake on mobile device is being developed
- He definitely wants to make it available on PC because legacy fans are PC-Gamers, but there will also be a console version. A tablet version should be available.
- He plans to start working on LBA3 within a year.

Last edited by Juliian; 2014-04-17 at 11:14.
Old 2014-04-16, 16:43
Let's make LBA 3 happen!

That's some exciting news! I'm having school right now but I'll be watching this when I'm home. I hope it'll be a huge succes!
Old 2014-04-16, 21:55
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
All depends on those sales, we really have to help push that. Is the patch out yet? are we good to go?

Incidentally, I hate how the industry has pushed their definition of what constitutes "AAA" onto the public. LBA is AAA and its got nothing to do with budget!
Old 2014-04-16, 22:36
Look beyond reality.

If this LBA3 thing continues to go on like this I'd seriously have to think about applying for that dev team, giving up my job and helping out with it. This is absolutely awesome.

I've been thinking about maybe making some assets to help Jasiek with his project -- if we could get a functional first 10-15 minutes of the LBA Remake out that could be a perfect way of advertising the LBA android app.

I also thought about making those assets and producing a fake LBA3 trailer. The media frenzy over that would sure help (if people think it's genuine). But I think that even for a one minute trailer the amount of time it would take to design all of that (visuals, audio, animations) would take too long.
Old 2014-04-16, 23:44

Thank you very much Juliian for your translation
Old 2014-04-17, 09:12
Magic Level: Purple Ball

OMG OMG OMG!
I didn't understand anything from the interview, but if what you translated is true... that's HUGE!

I wouldn't mind if they launched another non lba related game first, I wouldn't want them to rush it and do something they are not entirely comfortable with
Old 2014-04-17, 11:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvatoor View Post
OMG OMG OMG!
but if what you translated is true...
I swear it is!

This interview deserves a full proper translation because it is really interesting. The auto translate feature of Youtube is of no help on this one. I'll probably spend some time doing that later on.
Old 2014-04-17, 12:42
Magic Ball Master

Please do so, I would love to hear/read those words by myself... Those are big news, and they just improve the fact that we realy need to help Fred and the others to sell LBA1, so they can port LBA2 and maybe, just maybe, create LBA3.
Old 2014-04-17, 21:20
Magic Level: Fire Ball

I don't know, for some reason now that we're closer than ever to the possibility of LBA3 happening I feel inclined to be pessimistic about whether or not it's actually gonna happen.
Maybe it's because we've heard this "I really want to make LBA3 but it has to be the right moment and we need to convince a publisher beforehand" for over a decade, or maybe it's just my brain trying not to set up huge expectations only to be disappointed.

Anyway I don't think this news is as big of a deal as it seems at first glance, it's mostly Fred being very hopeful about the success of the remake and saying "assuming a lot of people play the remake and become LBA fans AND we manage find a publisher within a year it would be nice to start developing LBA3", those are two very big variables that are still up in the air as far as I can tell.
Old 2014-04-18, 00:04
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
Same here. I'd really want LBA3 to happen, but all the hype I had for years and years is now gone. I don't want to sound too cynic or anything, but it's really hard for LBA3 to actually become a game, rather than a dream. I don't know precisely how many people bought the smartphone release, but obviously it doesn't have more players than Candy Crush, Ruzzle, or whatever people play on their smartphone.
As for pc games, what publisher is going to finance LBA3? We're talking money here, and I think that any publisher would rather invest in a Call of Duty clone - that's what the avarage brainless player prefers today.
IF, and that's a big if, that happens it could be a financial failure, like Beyond Good & Evil. There are many people who would buy LBA3, but are they enough? In my honest opinion, the only way to make LBA3 is giving the rights to an indie company made of old players who know the original games and will do a great work with little resources.
Old 2014-04-18, 01:01
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
LBA would clearly not have a massive budget that the top selling games have - but that doesnt mean theres no publisher interested in that sort of thing.

Games are still made along a wide range of genra's;
Spoiler:

Note that FPS arnt actualy dominating what is made. Its likely that a few top ones grab much of the sales and budgets to such an extent that a lot of others just dont bother competing.

Elsewhere the budgets probably scale to match sales, more or less. And while the minimum to make a LBA game is still fairly high if your comparing to indies, it would be positively modest when compared to stuff like, say, Beyond Two Souls.

I'd guess the sort of publisher comparison would be stuff like Layton or Phoenix Wright but even those are likely to have much bigger teams then LBA3 would have.
A comparison more in the right ballpark of development team might be TellTales work - but they have a similar genra to deal with, and a very rapid game development tool they have made specificly for those games.
Old 2014-04-18, 02:13
Polly parrot

Those chart look interesting, but I don't get how we are supposed to read them...
Old 2014-04-18, 06:32
Look beyond reality.

It's time on the horzontal axis and percentage on the vertical axis. The colors show the division of games/consoles at that moment.

Anyway for a proper LBA3, meaning an 6-8 hour campain, fully 3D with cutscenes, new musical score etc.. I would say it'd take about 20 developers at least 1 or 2 years to get it done using one of the existing engines like UDK or Unity. Porting over to different platforms would take a month or so judging by the time it took to do that for Halo:SA. But this is completely based on what I personally have in mind when thinking of LBA3. Theoretically it could also be made as an episodic side scrolling game without new music or cutscenes or stuff like that and you're looking at 10% of that timeframe.
Old 2014-04-18, 12:02

Quote:
Maybe it's because we've heard this "I really want to make LBA3 but it has to be the right moment and we need to convince a publisher beforehand" for over a decade, or maybe it's just my brain trying not to set up huge expectations only to be disappointed.
Well.. I do agree with that, but to me, it is the first time in more than 10 years that Fred actually does something about LBA (more than words I mean), and that's maybe because he feels encline to work on it again.
It is the first time that we, as a community, have the power to make this game known to the players because it's has just been released on the devices that everybody is using at the moment. It is really exciting!

I can understand why you'd feel pessimistic about all this, I've felt that way a lot during the past 10 years about LBA, but it sounds like the right moment. We can expect LBA2 to be published on mobile devices, and we should do our best to sustain it. Fred sure is an optimistic, but he also thinks a lot about his legacy community, and I know for sure that he's gonna do something for us about LBA3 someday. Let's help him by keeping the community alive and by creating content that will help the community grow.
Old 2014-04-18, 13:23
Classic

Biggest thing we can do by far is help those mobile sales - everything is still to play for as its not been mentioned anywhere big yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bot13 View Post
cutscenes, new musical score etc.. I would say it'd take about 20 developers at least 1 or 2 years to get it done using one of the existing engines like UDK or Unity. Porting over to different platforms would take a month or so judging by the time it took to do that for Halo:SA.
Agreed, so (bullparking) I think we are looking at 10-15million, but thats mostly a guess at this point.

Quote:
Theoretically it could also be made as an episodic side scrolling game without new music or cutscenes or stuff like that and you're looking at 10% of that timeframe.
Well, I think the backup plan should still be the same genre, but episodic - maybe an island an episode, but the ability to go back to previous episodes.
Old 2014-04-18, 14:26
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliian View Post
Well.. I do agree with that, but to me, it is the first time in more than 10 years that Fred actually does something about LBA (more than words I mean), and that's maybe because he feels encline to work on it again.
It is the first time that we, as a community, have the power to make this game known to the players because it's has just been released on the devices that everybody is using at the moment. It is really exciting!

I can understand why you'd feel pessimistic about all this, I've felt that way a lot during the past 10 years about LBA, but it sounds like the right moment. We can expect LBA2 to be published on mobile devices, and we should do our best to sustain it. Fred sure is an optimistic, but he also thinks a lot about his legacy community, and I know for sure that he's gonna do something for us about LBA3 someday. Let's help him by keeping the community alive and by creating content that will help the community grow.
Don't get me wrong, I think it's fantastic that Fred is still so hopeful and after all these years he keeps believing in the possibility of LBA3 happening. I can't think of many other developers that dedicated to a franchise they haven't worked on for over 14 years, most of them just move on and say "oh well that was fun while it lasted but trying to go back to it wouldn't be worth the money and effort"
If anything ever comes out of this it's definitely thanks to his persistance and optimism, and you're right in saying that in a way something already HAS happened for the first time since LBA2, so that's definitely a step in the right direction.

All I'm saying is that even though it seems like we're almost there, the biggest problems that have prevented LBA3 for happening for the last 16 years are still there, at least for now.
Old 2014-04-18, 14:49
Classic

No, the second biggest problem is still there.
The biggest problem was solved just a few years back when Fred & Co got the rights back!
Old 2014-04-18, 20:00
New efforts! :)

This keeps getting better, I'm sure will have LBA3 one day. Even though that's a dream we've all had for a long time.

Take a look at the blog!

LBA:LID Demo v1.0 HERE
Report bugs here! Thanks Alexfont!
----------------------------------------
Take a look at Vindish's mod!
Old 2014-04-18, 20:38
Magic Level: Purple Ball

Oh, Ok, maybe it's not such big news, but Fred won't give up until he actually pulls this off. I know that is not enough, but I think he'll do it with a big or a very little budget.
I've never seen a developer so commited with doing a game, and I've never seen a game so expected and for so much time by its fans.
If he doesn't get a publisher, he'll end up doing it indie style, I think.
Old 2014-04-18, 20:53
Look beyond reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post

Agreed, so (bullparking) I think we are looking at 10-15million, but thats mostly a guess at this point.
Maybe even with less. Dreamfall is a title that I find comparable to what I have in mind for LBA3 production-value wise, and I believe they managed to do that with a budget of 6 million dollars. Nevertheless these are different times, so yeah probably around 10 then.
Old 2014-04-21, 00:13
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Quote:
- He has a lot of clues about the story of LBA3 (several stories). It'll take place in the same universe as the previous games.
never would have guessed.
Old 2014-04-21, 00:29
Magic Ball Master

Such news
Much impressive
Many discoveries
Old 2014-04-21, 13:35
Magic Ball GrandMaster

*profiled

Threads: News, Introduction, Discussion, Bugs collection || Content: Characters, Enemies, Items
Words come in all sizes. But even if they fit you,
they might not come at appropriate times.

Good for everyone is finding yourself first,
and then the good in others second.
Old 2014-04-24, 17:59
LOLwut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosmapf View Post
Such news
Much impressive
Many discoveries
Wow.

Lolwut, look what I found online:

Old 2014-04-24, 21:21