Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2009-02-28, 17:55
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

LBA3 Suggestions

(Sorry if there already is one of these, and sorry for stealing the idea from
the 'coolest idea ever!' thread)

Post your own suggestions for LBA3 - weapons, storyline, characters, vehicles, locations, etc. I know these are already designed by Fred but it's something to do, I guess

Mine:

General Suggestions

- Include Official Level Editor so we can all make our own LBA Levels and share with the community. I know we can do this with fan-made programs but official is better.

- Sell LBA1 and LBA2 on Steam, cheap, after the game is announced

- Have more funny stuff. I don't want to turn the game into a comedy but a few jokes and funny stuff to do were missing from the original games, IMO.

- MUCH more dialog.

- Mini-games. For example, the racing track - improve on it so it gives more than a few seconds of fun.

- Use of your car on other islands.

- Can't think of more right now, will add some later

Weapons

Magicball, Ofcourse!
Laser Gun

I also think spells would be good, like the current lightning and protection.

Characters

Will post later.

Locations

Will post later

Post your own!
~Jack

Last edited by Jack; 2009-02-28 at 18:03.
Old 2009-02-28, 18:06
You what?!

More minigames and side quests would be good I think, and the Steam idea isn't new but I agree that it would probably help publicity, although I doubt Steam would sell such an old game anyway. I don't know about the level editor, since Twinsun isn't meant to be a customisable planet as such, and I don't think comedy is what LBA needs. It could be quite dark at times and that was part of it's charm.
Old 2009-03-01, 00:05
a big Mooo to you all :-)

umm this is copying my thread, about designing a character! You cant do that Jack! People post your characters on my thread! http://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=14444 Anyway I don't think people will double up their ideas, and i'm actually trying to go somewhere with mine because im trying to get in correspondence with Frederick Raynal. And one more thing is that I dont think the LBA team will make LBA3 just the way we want it. My idea was to make simple random characters that dont have much effect to the game so Frederick can design the plot himself but some of the random characters will be ones we've chosen, but only one or two.
If you start making the plot, and weponns and locations I doubt they'll do it. But please dont start your own one up of these because I've been trying hard on mine for while now and if you really want to contribute, contribute with my project thanks
Old 2009-03-01, 00:32
Twinsen+Jerome=BFF

Send a message via MSN to walrusnumber4
Weapon ideas;

twinsen could find some 'esmer' weapons, other than a laser gun, im sure there could be more than a laser gun, and a pointy stick
Bunny is peaceful now?!
Spoiler:

Devil is happy! Spoiler:
Bunny is happpy Spoiler:
Ronald McDonald is happy Spoiler:
that guy isnt happy
Spoiler:
my dog is happy
Spoiler:
CARROTS ARE A NUTRITIOUS TREAT!
Spoiler:
Old 2009-03-01, 00:33

oh come on....
Old 2009-03-01, 00:43
Twinsen+Jerome=BFF

Send a message via MSN to walrusnumber4
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosaMarietheCow View Post
oh come on....
WHAT?!

oooh, and a customizable MB
Bunny is peaceful now?!
Spoiler:

Devil is happy! Spoiler:
Bunny is happpy Spoiler:
Ronald McDonald is happy Spoiler:
that guy isnt happy
Spoiler:
my dog is happy
Spoiler:
CARROTS ARE A NUTRITIOUS TREAT!
Spoiler:
Old 2009-03-01, 03:31
Father of Shoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosaMarietheCow View Post
oh come on....
This thread is more about the other stuff, like weapons and such, not characters.

Listen to my band's EP on one of the following links!

Check it out:
https://soundcloud.com/inglorious-da...orious-days-ep
http://ingloriousdays.bandcamp.com/
http://open.spotify.com/album/3C1idn10yT06VK0qPiusku
Old 2009-03-01, 04:59

RoseMarie, most of LBA3 is written anyway, it just needs to be made into a game. So i doubt anything posted here will actually be put in the game, unless Fred has already thought of it.

Kitarii: Like I said, don't want it to be a comedy, I liked the old style. Just a couple of laughs in things some characters say, it keeps interest when you get stuck. As for the level editor, well atleast get the MBN programmers to make one shortly after it comes out :P

I think Steam sells Doom, which is one year before LBA1.

Last edited by Jack; 2009-03-01 at 05:08.
Old 2009-03-01, 10:43
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Random ideas I'd like;

1. Dump sporty/normal modes, replace with analogue increase in movement as long as you are holding the button. (That is, acceleration upto a point).

2. Depending on the mode you are in, it effects what you say much more, and how you say it. (eg, out of breath, or whispering if in discrete mode).

3. No need for a level editing before release, imho, but make the game engine accessible enough for others to easily mod it later.

4. Make the enviroment as interactive as possible. This was one of the principles of LBA1, and it can be done a lot more today.

For instance;

*Fireball touching a flamable substance should set it on fire.
*Likewise, using the protopack over wood is a bad idea!
*Anything made from wood would float.
*Liquids spread out a set range when spilt. (no need for advanced water simulation here, just do it 2D as a texture spreading in an oval shape)

Basicaly, give physics propertys to all items in the game world, and use them in the games puzzles and even fighting. (fire hurts after all....instead of attacking a gaurd, maybe you could spill some oil then set it on fire!).

5. a) The arc of the magic ball shouldnt be determained by mode, but by how long you hold the button before release. (thus making it more skillfull to aim at certain points....minigames could be based around this).
b) If done on consoles, please give decent analogue chucking-magic-ball abilitys on the Wii !

6. Charecter switching occasionaly, but leave Twinsun as doing over 70%.

7. Have a 2 player co-op mode. I have been dieing for a co-op adventure game for ages, but aside from a horror game, they arnt really done.
Basicaly just let two charecters explore the single player game together, scaleing fight difficulty a bit. There could be a few special moves that the players can do in combination they couldnt do while solo. (like one can carry the other, while using the protopack, and the other can thus shot while the first moves).
Overall, not too much effort should be spend making it focused on multiplayer, it really should just be able letting 2 charecters explore the same (1 player) world at once.
Old 2009-03-01, 12:10

Nice suggestions, Darkflame, and I agree with them all but co-op. It just doesn't work in adventure games. How could two characters examine or use two different things at the same time, and who would the other player be? Zoe? But then she would need voices and interaction for a mission that usually, Twinsen would be in it on his own.

It's a good thought but I'm unsure how it could work.
Old 2009-03-01, 13:03
You what?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
1. Dump sporty/normal modes, replace with analogue increase in movement as long as you are holding the button. (That is, acceleration upto a point).
Or maybe, since I assume a lot of people were always in Sporty mode the majority of the time, have a button for walking (like in Tomb Raider, for certain edges so you didn't fall off) and jump+fight+hide buttons.

Quote:
2. Depending on the mode you are in, it effects what you say much more, and how you say it. (eg, out of breath, or whispering if in discrete mode).
That sounds really complicated and kind of unneccessary detail... But I guess it would be cool to have it that realistic. 4 and 5 are good points also.

Quote:
6. Charecter switching occasionally, but leave Twinsen as doing over 70%.

7. Have a 2 player co-op mode. I have been dieing for a co-op adventure game for ages, but aside from a horror game, they arnt really done.
Basicaly just let two charecters explore the single player game together, scaleing fight difficulty a bit. There could be a few special moves that the players can do in combination they couldnt do while solo. (like one can carry the other, while using the protopack, and the other can thus shot while the first moves).
Overall, not too much effort should be spend making it focused on multiplayer, it really should just be able letting 2 charecters explore the same (1 player) world at once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Nice suggestions, Darkflame, and I agree with them all but co-op. It just doesn't work in adventure games. How could two characters examine or use two different things at the same time, and who would the other player be? Zoe? But then she would need voices and interaction for a mission that usually, Twinsen would be in it on his own.

It's a good thought but I'm unsure how it could work.
Fred has said a long time ago he wants to make Arthur a playable character, so I think a co-op would definitely work, and it would be really cool. If you chose at the start of the game whether you want to be Twinsen or Arthur, then the co-op could simply be that you+friend play as one character each. It would be nice as well if the single player had some places that you couldn't access without a second player to assist you, nothing important obviously. I guess some of the "bosses" could behave a little differently in co-op mode as well.
Old 2009-03-01, 13:39
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Exactly that.
A good example of a co-op adventure is the horror game "Obscura" and its sequal.
While the games arnt anything special themselves, the 2 player mode really works well, and its clear that (because you charecter switch in 1 player anyway), very little extra work went into making it two player.

Quote:
Zoe? But then she would need voices and interaction for a mission that usually, Twinsen would be in it on his own.
This is true, however, you would indeed need extra voiceacting.

Quote:
Quote:
That sounds really complicated and kind of unneccessary detail....
I dont think it would be that complex, but it would require more voiceacting/scripting again.
I think agressive mode should require a completely different text anyway.

Sporty could simply be adding a few pause's and painting, and Discrete could be just a little lower volume and a slight filter on the sound.
These arnt really important as such, just extra details as you say. Purhapes if you dont talk in discrete mode to someone at a certain point it could alert gaurds nearby...that would be easy to script. (on the other hand, purhapes you might want to do that deliberately, to scare of the other charecter that wants to stay hidden...)

However, I think having potentialy different text for agressive could be used the most for gameplay. Dark Earth did something like it; People will sometimes need to be threated to give information. (but, likewise, other charecters might not give information unless your polite to them ).
I guess its also a little like Discworld's emotional-based text options.

I acknowledge its more work, and with the extra script and voiceacting it probably would add to the games development cost, but I think its in the sprit of making the gameworld more interactive and "real" feeling.

I think thats the general thing with most my suggestions actualy, the gameworld should be made to feel as real as possible.
Old 2009-03-01, 15:11
You what?!

I think basically the short answer to what you're suggesting is basically to give the player more dialogue options, rather than the script being mostly set.
Old 2009-03-01, 18:49
Magic Ball Master

There should be nude bear dancing.
Old 2009-03-01, 23:08
Polly parrot

Sorry to be negative, but I do not think we need all that stuff which will make the game realistic. How can I say umm... A game where your main occupation is to run around and killing your ennemies by throwing fire balls at them, where you are a bit like the son of a goddes, where you have powers like killing everyone you want just by looking at them (cf : lightning spell), etc... Making a game like that realistic will mean serious deaths, but that's not even the main point. A realistic game will need realistic caracters, and a realistic Twinsen. Well... Everyone knows, power calls for more power and less tolerance, so the only way on for Twinsen is to become a dictator. Who would not if one knows he is superior, and others accept it.

Anyway, I like the idea of making the objects more adaptable, because it will mean more interesting brain-teasers.

(Do not take all of this too seriously, it is just a game)
Old 2009-03-02, 04:48

ok i get it we're just saying ideas that could have improved LBA. But if anyone does have characters for LBA3 then post them on my thread not here, coz im trying hard.

Ok, something they should do in LBA3: have different voices for different characters. I mean i know they do, but for each individual character. Coz every character the same race and gender seem to have the same voice, and maybe they could edit them a little bit different, i dunno, but it would seem more relistic if each different character had a different voice. Regardless of same gender or race, because I remember when you play LBA2 and as you speak to someone you go 'hey there's that voice again!'
except for mosquibees, they're all like family arn't they
and i guess soldiers too
Old 2009-03-02, 10:32
You what?!

I think they did an okay job of voices in LBA2, but in LBA1 there were a lot of coincidentally similar sounding rabbibunnies.
Old 2009-03-02, 11:06
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitarii View Post
I think they did an okay job of voices in LBA2, but in LBA1 there were a lot of coincidentally similar sounding rabbibunnies.
but that rabbibunny voice was awesome!

i still prefer lba1 voices xD

memories......
Old 2009-03-02, 12:43
Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Sorry to be negative, but I do not think we need all that stuff which will make the game realistic. How can I say umm... A game where your main occupation is to run around and killing your ennemies by throwing fire balls at them,
Making the game world more realistic means that isnt the "main occupation" though. It gives more diverse gameplay.

Realism is about little details and interactivity that makes the game feel more like a living breathing world.
It dosnt mean it has to be remotely realistic like, "earth like", merely that charecters act like they have lifes of their own. It dosnt even mean more serious. (I hate the trend towards serious stuff in gaming).

Quote:
I think basically the short answer to what you're suggesting is basically to give the player more dialogue options, rather than the script being mostly set.
hmz...maybe, not sure though.
As when you do that, people end up selecting every combination of dialogue anyway.
I just liked the idea of the game modes effecting more stuff.
Old 2009-03-02, 12:57
You what?!

How could they choose every combination? I was thinking more along the lines of the types of games that the story is actually affected by choices you make, so the following events would play out differently depending on what you said.
Old 2009-03-03, 04:18

and when your walking and you know youve walked into the next frame coz the characters disappear from the old frame and characters suddenly appear in front of you (LBA2.) That's annoying
Old 2009-03-03, 14:55
You what?!

Well yeah but it is a pretty old game, I'm sure that wouldn't be an issue anymore.
Old 2009-03-03, 15:07
Classic

Well, I know in 90% of adventure games I tend to be able to choose just about every dialogue option one after eachother.
If theres no option to do that, in many case's I reload. :P
Maybe thats just me.
Old 2009-03-04, 14:18
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
I think that twinsen should have a magic wand because he is technically a wizard now so he should have wand so he can cast spells and he can have a robe and wizard hat and cast spells.

and he should have magical powers which sendell gave him
he should be like the best wizard in all of twinsun (and zeelich)

also arthur will be like a magic boy because his father was imbued with the power of sendell

and he can fly
and cast magic spells
Old 2009-03-04, 14:35
Hello

Well, that throws Dino-Fly out of the window.
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
  cout<<"Regards,\nDino-Fly\n";
 cin.get();
}