Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2007-06-08, 19:10
a well established member

Send a message via MSN to Echomote
Wireless electricity!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6129460.stm
Old 2007-06-08, 19:41
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2552 View Post
Having a station for cell phone radio some 200m near my house, I am a bit worried about the, how we call it, electronic smog. (see here)
Old 2007-06-08, 20:01
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
meh, the wavelengths are too big to cause cell damage, and to get the heating effect you would have to be very close indeed.
Interference with other devices is of course, a fact.
--
Read about that in newscientist a few months back.

Its good, but I think the "pad" idea will be more usefull. (probably more efficiant and easier to put into devices)
Old 2007-06-08, 20:03

Quote:
Having a station for cell phone radio some
Phone radio stations are normal. No where near as scary as the idea of charging things wirelessly.

Quote:
Its good, but I think the "pad" idea will be more usefull.
They could combine the ideas, walls power the pad, pad powers your thing
Old 2007-06-08, 20:11
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
W00t! Yay for Eshel Ben-Jacob! (btw, "ben" in Hebrew isn't a short of Benjamin, it's actually the word "son", so Ben-Jacbo is "Son of Jacob" (which is Benjamin (ehm now I'm confused too..)))
Sun of Jacob of Jacob? Grandson of Jacob when your fathers name is jacob?
Or am I so totaly confused that I dont know it
Old 2007-06-08, 20:22
weee

The name Ben in English is a short of Benjamin (which in the bible is the son of Jacob), but in Hebrew "ben" is "son" (or "son of") (nothing to do with the name Benjamin)... whmeh why am I babbling..
Old 2007-06-08, 21:01

My middle name is Benjamin
Old 2007-06-08, 21:01
Do the evolution.

http://www.vecnarobotics.com/robotic...ct/index.shtml

http://www.vecnarobotics.com/robotic..._details.shtml

Haha, looks funny, but it's capable of lifting 165 kg.
Old 2007-06-08, 21:05

Why have they even given it a head?
Old 2007-06-16, 23:55
Do the evolution.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VjgidAICoQI

My God, that's just fuckin scary...

Same thing with Mars...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=d44Jj_3gp-M
Old 2007-06-17, 01:03
weee

Cool.

But it seems unlikely all scientists formed a conspiracy against the truth that would disprove some of their research.
Old 2007-06-17, 01:19
Do the evolution.

Well, it has a viable argument there, we know that the continents fit, that europe fits america, africa fits south amercia etc. But then, why the hell america fits Asia?! There's earth models like that made through the 40's, 50's wich where sileneced and removed from public view...

They do that all the time, trying to take up on research that is unpopular in the larger scientific community, will make your career absolutely and completely dead, people get blocked from publishing, they have their funding taken away etc.

Anyway, that idea seems viable, the dude has videos of mars (wich supposedly has no continents!), the moon europa etc. that support it, also the question of Asia fitting america...
It's just scary, becouse if the process exists, and it is accelerating, waht will happen? Is it becouse of the centrifugal force? But the earth is slowing down... will we end up just exploding some day?
Old 2007-06-17, 01:43
weee

Maybe the earth is an egg... also all other planets, eggs. So one day all planets will hatch and the next step in the universe evolution will begin.
Old 2007-06-17, 02:24
Do the evolution.

Chickins! They're escapin'! Bring me gun Molly!
Old 2007-06-17, 13:17

Where has the sea water actually come from as it grew? Did I miss that part? Also hows our o-zone layer going to cope with the planet growing?
Old 2007-06-17, 14:20
weee

About the water, I imagined the water has been a layer of earth under the ground, somewhere above magma.
Old 2007-06-17, 14:27
Do the evolution.

It's not the O-zone alone, it's the whole atmosphere, what's strange is that actually science treats it as a fact, that 60 million years ago the ozone layer itself was 7 time thicker - that's why the dinos grew so big(less radiation). I guess the amtosphere would've stretched.

And the water it didn't come from anywhere - it was there. The model leaves some deeper places to be, also there must've been A LOT of shallow sees and lakes. A lot of marshes too. The whole climate would be very wet, the air would've been very humid. I think it's actually possible.

It would explain, how all the fish fossils we find, are found on land, becouse the sees where on the land.
Old 2007-06-17, 15:15

What I mean with the ozone is the hole, might be just where it's getting too thin because the planet is out-growing it.

edit--
hey I just realised I reached 2000 posts 551 posts to go ... ...
Old 2007-06-20, 03:05
Classic

Not really hi-tech as such, but bloody cool and impressive;

http://www.hauntedfrog.com/gt/movies...TeslaShow.html

Quote:
They do that all the time, trying to take up on research that is unpopular in the larger scientific community, will make your career absolutely and completely dead
They also take your funding away when your stark raving mad and wasteing money

Speaking as an animator, doing a morph to make the continents look like they fit together like that while adjusting the scale is pretty easy.
That dosnt mean its nesscerly wrong, only the video proves nothing.

Mass dosnt come from nowhere, and there simply isnt an energy source big enough to convert energy into mass either.
The only explanation left would be the earth would be getting less dense...but then theres no process that could cause that to happen evenly.
Youd expect rips and tears and all sorts of major problems. (which would get worse, not better, over time like the world seems too).

Still, its a cool idea.

Quote:
It would explain, how all the fish fossils we find, are found on land
Thats because we dont search the oceans
But still most fossils are found by coast areas, or old costal areas.

Also, remember the world is very old and everything moves.
Think of Chalk.

Quote:
And the water it didn't come from anywhere - it was there. The model leaves some deeper places to be, also there must've been A LOT of shallow sees and lakes. A lot of marshes too. The whole climate would be very wet, the air would've been very humid. I think it's actually possible
No, wouldnt work if it was mearly shallow sea's and lacks + atmosphere.
In order for the starting globe to contain the same water as the ending globe,yet look like that, the water would have had to be under the ground in vaste quanitys. (like Choas says)
Thats not impossible though. Just be a bit weird it not evaporating.

What it would fuck up would be the evolutionary tree showing sea creatures far older then mammals.
If the world started with less (accessible) water, you would expect land animals to come first.
Really, that goes counter to a lot of evidence.

Quote:
Anyway, that idea seems viable, the dude has videos of mars (wich supposedly has no continents!)
Hu? It dosnt have any continents now, but no one denighs it almost certainly did in the past.
No "supposedly" about it. The case for oceans on mars is pretty rock-solid now, and theres a good chance a lot is still frozen under the surface in some regions.

Quote:
But then, why the hell america fits Asia
But does it realy;

Dont trust other peoples CG
Old 2007-06-20, 12:02
Do the evolution.

Well, it's not like that, that concept has been around for more then a 100 years, it's even older that the "floating" continents, for the first people that discovered the possibility of earth looking differently the expanding model was the obvious choice. Yeah, I looked at a map, but if it was really happening becouse of the centrigual force Earth would be twisting as it "unfolds", and when it twist like that they fit.

They didn't move horizontally..., when you "twist" the earth, following the lines on the seabed, that indicate "how it all moved", and decrease earths size while doing it, you'll end up with that shrinked model.

It wouldn't pose any problems for evolution, it would explain it better! Life evolved first in a world-wide shallow ocean, and maybe the water vaporated, there's even a theory (unrelated to this one), that once in history the "ground" was flaoting on the water, wich then got realesed, evaporated etc. Anyway, as there was more, and more land, life would have to adapt to the new changing conditions - it works better for the rules of evolution, otherwise there would be no need for life to go out of the sees.

Basically it would mean, that the sheer force of gravity, is no match for the mass of the spinning earth, other planets, stars, the universe, and that everything expands, not only the space between the elements in an atom - wich would give no visible evidence, but it's becouse of the centrigual or some other yet unknown force.

And yeah, I'm being sceptical, of course, but I'm very much open to this idea, altough it's kind of scary... but it seams more like a sounds explanation, then the one we've had for all that time.
Old 2007-06-20, 15:33
Classic

Why is it more sound?
There isnt any major problems with the explanation we have at the moment, and this explanation DOES introduce a heck of a lot more things to explain. Not that we dont have a lot to explain in either case, but the supercontinent cycle theory fits a lot of study and evidence in both biological and geological evidence quite well.

This one, however, has serious physics problems to explain.
eg.
centrigual force isnt that strong by quite a margin, and (if you scale it up, or assume gravity is weaker), then the earth would grow a heck of a lot more in the middle then at the polls.

This model (and animation) shows the earth expanding evenly all over.
Its more like an "inflation" of the earth then something being caused by spinning.

Quote:
They didn't move horizontally..., when you "twist" the earth, following the lines on the seabed, that indicate "how it all moved", and decrease earths size while doing it, you'll end up with that shrinked model.
Your still trusting someone else's animation completely here.
If you want to take the continent shapes, allow any size variation,any twisting and put a little bit of morphing, you could more or less make the world look like anything you want.

This isnt just twisting, the rest of the contients fit together with only a slight twist, its mostly linner movement.
Asia and America however are *completely curved against eachother*.
They require a heck of a lot more extreme fitting then the rest of the map.

Not to say its wrong, only that the video proves nothing. Its just a simple trick.

Heck, I could argue the world used to be a cone shape, with the thin bit at the bottom of the map. That would make everything fit together much nicer

Quote:
It wouldn't pose any problems for evolution, it would explain it better! Life evolved first in a world-wide shallow ocean, and maybe the water vaporated
But big sea creatures came before mammals.
It isnt just little ones.

Quote:
Anyway, as there was more, and more land, life would have to adapt to the new changing conditions - it works better for the rules of evolution, otherwise there would be no need for life to go out of the sees.
Life spreads out to follow food, which (ultimately) means energy.
Sunlight is the ultimate source of our energy on earth, which is thus the reason anything would go out of the seas.
Obviously, its more complex then that, but thats were you get things shifting to land and air.

Also, I dont see how this model would make that better anyway.
Your going from a shallow all-over ocean to a deeper-ocean in many areas and an all around bigger world.
In either case they are not forced out of the oceans.

Incidently, I may be wrong here, but I dont think the quanitys of water add up in this picture anyway.
A large world with deep oceans covering 70% probably still has a lot more water then a small world with a shallow ocean all over.
Old 2007-07-03, 20:10
Do the evolution.

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=mpBG-nSRcrQ

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=wIuRVr8z_WE

This is insanely cool .
Old 2007-07-03, 20:34
weee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasiek View Post
Cool, but confusing... they looks like living creatures... a little creepy.
Old 2007-07-03, 21:32
Do the evolution.

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh7xssnhoXM

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=M4rgaLW163k

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=K9cC2Lg_A-I

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=3P0aafialbg

some more .

Yeah, they sure where kind of scary, but I sure would like to have a "mule" car like that. Imagine the looks on peoples faces .
Old 2007-07-03, 21:54
weee

Cool

I can already imagine the religious groups protesting

Tags
augmented reality, awesomeness, esa, future, hi-tech, mars, nasa, robotics, sci-fi, science, skylon, space, spaceplane, tech, technology