Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2011-05-21, 17:01
/ʤæmfɪʃ/

The World Ends Today

So apparently the world is ending today. After 6PM GMT we will have 5 months of earthquakes. The good and holy will be taken to heaven, away from all the carnage.

Peace out and Farewell!
And gave it a name, so then it wasn't mine
Old 2011-05-21, 18:04
Do the evolution.

Too bad it ain't happening really, I can't wait for the "good and holy" to gtfo and let the world be civilized and based on humanism and modern ethics at last!
Old 2011-05-21, 19:33
Zebrazilla

What about the forests?

Nope.

LBA Speedruns
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% PC - Time: 01h 04m 23s
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% Android - Time: 01h 04m 35s
Old 2011-05-21, 20:52
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Well I don't know about your plans but I'm going to just chill in my bed, hopefully you won't go insane from the mental pressure of thinking that world will end
Old 2011-05-21, 21:18
/ʤæmfɪʃ/

I'm just hanging out, watching my boxsets... if the world has ended I don't know about it. Ignorance is bliss, right?
And gave it a name, so then it wasn't mine
Old 2011-05-21, 21:26
Magic Ball Master

I'm with Jasiek.
Old 2011-05-21, 21:33
Magic Level: Red Ball

Still alive... although my head is spinning faster than the ground is. I bet it won't be long till the next doomsday prophecy.
Old 2011-05-22, 10:39
Do the evolution.

http://youtu.be/f9KlMWzKj4s

shiiit
Old 2011-05-22, 14:22
Hello

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
  cout<<"Regards,\nDino-Fly\n";
 cin.get();
}
Old 2011-05-22, 20:53
Polly parrot

For the time being, Hungary has a temporary internet server in the metro station. In case it goes wrong by tomorrow THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR EVERYTHING YOU EVER GAVE ME !

I've got something in my eye...
Old 2011-05-23, 16:07
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
lol the underground was filled with "21/05/11, get ready for the apocalypse" and more shit like that.
I hope one day people will learn to understand how foolish it is to believe in things of which there is no evidence of... or do it in a more realistic manner.
Old 2011-05-23, 16:21
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
We are all safe untill they all agree on the same date....

That said, these doomsday predictions do annoy me as they somewhat make it seem implusible that plantary extinction events can occor. The nonsense hides the truth that this stuff can happen and we are pretty unprepared. Unfortuntely as a species we are pretty darn short term thinking - things that "probably" will happen over the next 10,000 years or something just dont enter our minds.
Old 2011-05-23, 17:12
strange dreamer

I think our extinction will occur sometime within the following decades and as far as things are going it seems inevitable*, but not yet, not... yet.

* green movements are still too slow for what is really necessary and should've been done some ten years ago.
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Old 2011-05-25, 09:27
Do the evolution.

Space Guitarist If the "green movements" had their way all the time, we'd be on the verge of extinction now...

They would either starve us all to death by banning gm foods... or do it in a more indirect way by say, banning nuclear power plants and making most of us perish with the ensuing energy crisis. Paranoids and crack pots.

The tree huggers are as stupid as the profit crunchers. If anything, it should be the scientists who govern things in their respective fields.
Old 2011-05-25, 14:24
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Now, now...You shouldn't brand all the "green movements" as crazy as greenpeace etc. They arn't all that "weirdly selective" in their targets.

At least everyone is slowly comming around to the fact we don't have enough resources at the moment to cover our rate of using them up and they are helping make people aware of that. Its just sometimes their members knowledge isnt best at making the choices needed to recover from it, or sometimes they prepose worst solutions (ie, species introduction instead of pesticides).
I'd still rather have well intentioned but slightly ignorant people then the "I dont care I'm going to be dead by the time this maters" crowd. Or the "i couldn't possible effect anything" people.
I tried to invest in a "Unit Trust" a few months as I had some money to spare...you wouldn't believe how "evil" most of the companies making them up are. Ok, evil is a relative term..but the most recomended stuff was almost always incredibly dodgy...people dont care, they just go for the $$ numbers
I was more or less forced to invest in some trust that avoided GM stuff just to avoid investing in arms companies, BP, GoldenMan sachs etc. I also loved the fact that just about all of them labeled oil as an "alternative resource".

Your basicly trapped between the uneducated "greens" that care, and the successfull but short-sitted/unethical bastards that don't.
(not that there isnt plenty of one pretending to be the other either).
[/rant]
-sigh-
Old 2011-05-25, 16:12
the hobbits to Otringal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasiek View Post
Space Guitarist If the "green movements" had their way all the time, we'd be on the verge of extinction now...

They would either starve us all to death by banning gm foods...
Now this part is fear mongering propaganda aswel. Gm foods in practice have never increased food yields by being gm foods on any interesting scale. No serious scientific papers can be found that even support such claim.
Sure the aim might be there. Less water use and all that. But the starving argument is a false one so far.
The starving has all the more to do with distribution and money then anything else.

Quote:
or do it in a more indirect way by say, banning nuclear power plants and making most of us perish with the ensuing energy crisis.
Irrational fear should not lead criticism but also shouldnt be used to mislead people into consent. Its just weak in both cases.

A lot of the pro nuclear arguments are full of shit aswell. False promises and misleading wordings about how it supossed to be the future. Jumping on any sentiment that happens to be in the air.
Now they even try to sell it for the short term construction job opportunitys it provides. lol

Quote:
Paranoids and crack pots.
It's fine if you believe these are solutions. But it's kinda irronic to trow with irrational fears like unrelated famine and then say its the others are the crackpots ones.
Quote:
The tree huggers are as stupid as the profit crunchers. If anything, it should be the scientists who govern things in their respective fields.
Yay for science.
I am getting more optimist as I grow older but its still clear that research is very much restrained by money and special interest legislations.

Anyway, yeah the whole world is full of paranoid crackpots. I think it perhaps has to do with all the lazy myths being trown around in it.

http://forum.magicball.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2558&dateline=1285864225
Old 2011-05-25, 16:18
the hobbits to Otringal

Also this is What Happens When You Die

http://forum.magicball.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2558&dateline=1285864225
Old 2011-05-25, 18:33
strange dreamer

@ Darkflame, Odysseus:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus
Anyway, yeah the whole world is full of paranoid crackpots.
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Old 2011-05-25, 19:49
Classic

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
Now this part is fear mongering propaganda aswel. Gm foods in practice have never increased food yields by being gm foods on any interesting scale. No serious scientific papers can be found that even support such claim.
Sure the aim might be there. Less water use and all that. But the starving argument is a false one so far.
The starving has all the more to do with distribution and money then anything else.

Irrational fear should not lead criticism but also shouldnt be used to mislead people into consent. Its just weak in both cases.
True, allthough, imho, the most significant pro-GM point is it can be used to replace some pesticides which is the least bad option when dealing with mass food production.

Quote:
A lot of the pro nuclear arguments are full of shit aswell. False promises and misleading wordings about how it supossed to be the future. Jumping on any sentiment that happens to be in the air.
Nuclear is just our best option to meet power suppy needs in the future, its not perfect but it is about the only tech we have that can deal with the next few decades or demand while other tech hopefully catchs up.
The current lack of plants being built can actualy lead to a big problem

The irratation is that nuclear plants can be both (relatively) safe, and produce a lot less waste thanks to reprocessing now, but a lot of protest groups still object to even that.
(then again, people object to wind farms too -_- you can't please people whatever you do really)

Quote:
I am getting more optimist as I grow older but its still clear that research is very much restrained by money and special interest legislations.
True.

Quote:
. I think it perhaps has to do with all the lazy myths being trown around in it.
Hell yeah, if we are going to have a apocalypse, lets at least have interesting ones!
Old 2011-05-26, 10:35
Do the evolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
Firstly individual plant yields aren't everything, secondly money and food prices is everything.
About the yield:
Since the introduction of gm plants in the early 90's we've been able to move from a very costly and time consuming process of spraying individual weed plants to dusting entire crops with pesticides (which usually is a substance that blocks the production of a certain protein that plants - and plants only - need) that do not hurt the modified crops (which produce a different protein). Thanks to a better way of getting rid of weeds plants have access to more nutrients and water which means a bigger yield... Which has helped (amongst other things) the prices stay relatively steady (not counting inflation) since the 90's despite a growth in population.

What I was really talking about:
The future, not the present... - which I thought was obvious really... By 2050 we will have to double our food production, with more then 80 percent of it coming from land that is already being used - and there's only so much you can do with traditional breeding, or proper seeding. If the crackpots had their way and blocked research on transgenic plants (on say, transfering the immunity to fungi from rice to wheats, creating drought or frost resistant plants etc.) the world could wake up one day to a very bad situation.

Then there's the fact that using phosphorus based fertilisers is killing the oceans...

And then there's the possibility of a bigger vitamin, calcium, protein content (amongst other things) in transgenic plants like the flavrsavr tomato.

Quote:
Fiirstly, the limits of traditional techniques of increasing crop yield in the wake of a population increase is not an irrational fear - it's a plain fact. Secondly there's nothing to give consent about, you're not being fed poison, substandard foods or asked to pay more, and it's not causing harm to the environment. The only discussion we should be having about this is not the validity of using gmo (because that is a given), but about the situation in which a single company (coughmonsantocough) should be allowed to make most of your food...

Quote:
Now they even try to sell it for the short term construction job opportunitys it provides. lol
What have you been reading...? What false promises?
We'll have better and more efficient power plants in the future - it's a fact. In fact one is about to be built in the US ( a first of it's kind - a meltdown proof plant, and a first one built in 30 years). It's also a fact that there's no other more universal and steady way of generating power other then fusion which is at least two decades away. Solar panels might reach 50% efficiency at one point (and I'm sure as hell going to get me one of these) but that's it with them, and not everywhere in the world is lucky to be sunny enough... We've built dams anywhere they could be built, and as much as I'd lovw to own a wind turbine not everywhere is windy enough (and they don't let you put them up on your apartments balcony)...

Coal mines kill hundreds of people each year, and the plants still, despite the best of efforts pump co2 and radioactive soot into the air.

What other solution you have then? Praying to nature? There will be more people, with bigger power requirements in the future.

Quote:
It's fine if you believe these are solutions. But it's kinda irronic to trow with irrational fears like unrelated famine and then say its the others are the crackpots ones.
Unrelated...? The world will need more food in the future - it's a fact, we're almost at a peak of new arable land -which is also a fact, close to a GW caused water shortage crisis which might further decrease the arable land - which is also most likely a fact... and we're at a standstill with traditional yield increasing techniques. Will you pray to nature for food...? GM foods are the only idea with a potential of being a long-term solution. It's simple as that.
Old 2011-05-26, 14:09
the hobbits to Otringal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasiek View Post
Firstly individual plant yields aren't everything, secondly money and food prices is everything.
About the yield:
Since the introduction of gm plants in the early 90's we've been able to move from a very costly and time consuming process of spraying individual weed plants to dusting entire crops with pesticides (which usually is a substance that blocks the production of a certain protein that plants - and plants only - need) that do not hurt the modified crops (which produce a different protein). Thanks to a better way of getting rid of weeds plants have access to more nutrients and water which means a bigger yield... Which has helped (amongst other things) the prices stay relatively steady (not counting inflation) since the 90's despite a growth in population.

What I was really talking about:
The future, not the present... - which I thought was obvious really... By 2050 we will have to double our food production, with more then 80 percent of it coming from land that is already being used - and there's only so much you can do with traditional breeding, or proper seeding. If the crackpots had their way and blocked research on transgenic plants (on say, transfering the immunity to fungi from rice to wheats, creating drought or frost resistant plants etc.) the world could wake up one day to a very bad situation.

Then there's the fact that using phosphorus based fertilisers is killing the oceans...

And then there's the possibility of a bigger vitamin, calcium, protein content (amongst other things) in transgenic plants like the flavrsavr tomato.
A lot those immunity and "extra" content triads are already found in other variations of the crops. Those get ignored a lot and in cases its just poorly reinventing the wheel so buisnesses can legally own their "invention".
Or even create other triads that make crops more dependent of other products.

Quote:
Fiirstly, the limits of traditional techniques of increasing crop yield in the wake of a population increase is not an irrational fear - it's a plain fact.
In that prospect from a pure scientific standpoint it indeed has potential but current practice doesnt bring the confort.
Quote:
Secondly there's nothing to give consent about, you're not being fed poison, substandard foods or asked to pay more, and it's not causing harm to the environment. The only discussion we should be having about this is not the validity of using gmo (because that is a given), but about the situation in which a single company (coughmonsantocough) should be allowed to make most of your food...
Well I am not a naysayer of research. But I like to see it returning into controlled environments. And indeed not on my plate and not in the fields.

I agree it has unforeseeable potential, and thats the problem because it cuts both ways. Saying its not causing harm sounds more like a wishfull enchantment then anything else.

Quote:
What have you been reading...? What false promises?
Resently buisnesses and gov started pushing the idea of a brand new powerplant here in the Netherlands. And I get a bit sick of the PR talks. Playing the sentiment of each audience and so on.
Quote:
We'll have better and more efficient power plants in the future - it's a fact. In fact one is about to be built in the US ( a first of it's kind - a meltdown proof plant, and a first one built in 30 years). It's also a fact that there's no other more universal and steady way of generating power other then fusion which is at least two decades away.
Yeah it's not the facts that bother me. It's the bullshit.
Quote:
Solar panels might reach 50% efficiency at one point (and I'm sure as hell going to get me one of these) but that's it with them, and not everywhere in the world is lucky to be sunny enough... We've built dams anywhere they could be built, and as much as I'd lovw to own a wind turbine not everywhere is windy enough (and they don't let you put them up on your apartments balcony)...

Coal mines kill hundreds of people each year, and the plants still, despite the best of efforts pump co2 and radioactive soot into the air.

What other solution you have then? Praying to nature? There will be more people, with bigger power requirements in the future.
Well oil been "cheap"...we might just have to get realistic and waste much less. I think thats the real solution.
People think it will effect their standard of living to make it less wastefull. But thats just cause they are confronted with for example "recycling" bullshit. -That took their effort. Or damn ugly lights that use less energy.
Those kinda things are so random and make being less wastefull look like its a freaking hell.

Quote:
Unrelated...? The world will need more food in the future - it's a fact, we're almost at a peak of new arable land -which is also a fact, close to a GW caused water shortage crisis which might further decrease the arable land - which is also most likely a fact... and we're at a standstill with traditional yield increasing techniques. Will you pray to nature for food...? GM foods are the only idea with a potential of being a long-term solution. It's simple as that.
I don't deny potential. But yeah, unrelated. Solutions can come from many disciplines. And there is no proof that sets a relation between famine and not using gm.
I don't mind you think its the holy grail but the fear argument is as good as saying "You should believe in god cause, well, you are going to die."

Old 2011-05-26, 14:59
Classic

Quote:
Solar panels might reach 50% efficiency at one point (and I'm sure as hell going to get me one of these)
I believe I read if you go via a GM algea method of solar havesting that ratio can go up quite a bit, and you get hydrogen as the result (which obviously can be stored easier).

Its a theorectical max still, of course, but pretty sure it was more then 50% and didnt take up so much space. (as it can be growen in tubes and doesnt need direct sunlight so much). Just wish I could find the research....

Also, don't forget wave and geo-thermal too
(not that they are magic fix either, but they could be used more then they are)
Old 2011-05-26, 19:03
the hobbits to Otringal

Scientists Successfully Teach Gorilla It Will Die Someday

Old 2011-05-28, 20:41
Polly parrot

In the comments, they say that it's a joke...
I was so impressed that a gorrilla could paint
Old 2011-06-06, 19:49
~le photographer~

The only thing that ended on May 21th was some politicans jobs... xD

Web | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter