Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > LBA Modifications > LBA: The Great Rebellion
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LBA: The Great Rebellion A game, made on the LBA 1 engine, and set between LBA 1 and LBA 2, in middle of the outbreak of a mass rebellion, and Twinsen has to end the rebellion. (homepage)

Old 2011-05-21, 18:17
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Unhappy The future of this project...

I have absolutely no idea, at the moment, what the future of this project will be. LBAWinOwns has left the Team and even sent me some insults over Windows Live Messenger in a group conversation in which other people partook as well. And I have absolutely no idea if Kobold still wishes to partake in the project either.

At the moment, the only member this project has with certainty, other than me, is Allindir/GCArrera. All the other either left, are gone from the forums, or I'm not sure if they still wish to partake.

However, I WILL post any updates here if things change.
Old 2011-05-21, 18:39
Magic Ball Master

I'd love to put all those grids we made to some use, but first, you need to fix this.

Old 2011-05-21, 18:43
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Actually I do agree the story has to be changed, and if some grids get discarded, so be it. We've made too many anyway, now that I think. As I told Allindir, I think it's best to refocus the project and make it smaller. The project was way too big to maintain and that's why it failed. I'm confident that if we make it smaller, then maybe, just maybe, it can actually work.
Old 2011-05-21, 18:57
Magic Ball Master

I won't reenter this project unless there is
- a central place where the story is accessible to all team members
- a public file storage (e.g. SVN) where all the project's files are collected and organized.
- only active members are team members, everybody else doesn't even get in the team. Work gets assigned in a public place, not via MSN.

- We get some documents like a style guide (what kind of look our grids should have)
Here's an example of what a style guide contains:
Spoiler:

The style guide should contain standards for all necessary grid components, like Houses, Fences, Beaches, Hills, Streets, Rocks, Walls, Doorways, looks of Factories inside etc. And if it's all obvious, it should still be in there. I will not do this for you, you have to set it up yourself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TGR Style Guide Example.jpg‎
Views:	595
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	8700  
Old 2011-05-21, 19:02
Welcome to Zirla!

1. The wiki much?
2. So anyone can just go and steal our work? I do agree on a private SVN, but not to a public one.
3. Ageed.
4. Considering at the momnent, everyone having a talk here knows how the grids should look like, and I plan to not recruit anyone new, I find that unneccessarily redundant.
Old 2011-05-21, 19:11
Magic Ball Master

Well, I meant public as in, not everybody just having the files on their own hard drive (and have that catch fire)

You mean there's only two guys?
Well, you could just say "we keep the exact style of LBA 1" if that's what you're going for. But then everything would look familiar.

Ok then, get an SVN and put all files we have in an ordered fashion. I have so many loose grid files and don't know what BLL's to use, so we should have a clear list of what grid uses which blocks and explain it when we made some alterations. And then you could write a plot.
Old 2011-05-21, 19:14
Welcome to Zirla!

- Kobold: I thought I sent you all the grids in scenario files a few years ago? What happened to those? :s
Old 2011-05-21, 19:15
Magic Ball Master

Well I DO have a crapton of scenarios as well. But not of my own grids.
Old 2011-05-21, 19:17
Welcome to Zirla!

- Kobold: Well I guess we have to go through any grids you have in non-scenario format and see which .BLL each grid uses.

Anyway, where do I get the SVN software and how do I set it up? Sorry, I'm just a total n00b when it comes to SVN. XD
Old 2011-05-21, 19:17
Magic Ball Master

I have no idea. Sounds like a good time for our team leader to use the power of T3H INTARWEBZ.
Old 2011-05-21, 19:51
Welcome to Zirla!

- Kobold: Looks like no go. It needs an application to be installed on the server's OS, which I can't do since I don't have this kind of access to the server.
Old 2011-05-22, 12:58
Magic Ball Master

As a quick tip, you can use assembla.com for a single SVN private project. You have there 2GB to use (not abuse).

About the other Kobold idea, you will need a server with a proper system.

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2011-05-22, 20:47
Polly parrot

It would cool if this project came back to life... I would be happy to work with you again
Old 2011-05-22, 23:55
Welcome to Zirla!

Polaris, make an account on Assembla.com, then tell me what username you chose there so I can add you to the Team on the SVN.
Old 2011-05-23, 00:11
Let's revive Twinsen !

Send a message via MSN to Vindish
Hello back, if i remember well, Obras was asking me to be in the team, but he never gave me something to do ^^.
Here is my come back first day, and i'm glad to see there is still an activity here ^^, let me help you ^^
Old 2011-05-23, 01:30
Magic Ball Master

btw, for those using windows there is a great SVN client named TortoiseSVN.

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2011-05-23, 02:14
Polly parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler View Post
Polaris, make an account on Assembla.com, then tell me what username you chose there so I can add you to the Team on the SVN.
Done, it's -Polaris- (with the two -)
Old 2011-05-23, 12:20
Magic Level: Fire Ball

I think we already spoke about this once but you guys could use Lbanet as an engine for your project. We could easily set a new world for TGR in the lbanet server.

After that you can use the Lbanet editor to add your maps and quickly test your concepts. Kobold is already pretty familiar with the editor so I guess he would be suited for this job. I can help you as well to set up the world.

The good part is that you could make it a progressive approach, publishing the game little by little on the server and not having to wait until the game is finished before releasing it.
Old 2011-05-23, 12:41
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
+ 1
Old 2011-05-23, 18:30
Magic Ball Master

Hm. Well I'm not sure how LBANet would do everything the original game has to offer. Like the original way to control the game with your keyboard, and not have to click for your inventory, the same with dialogues. How would single-player work?
Old 2011-05-23, 19:53

Well keyboard control for menu is not a big deal and is a feature which is easy to add to Lbanet. It is already in my todo list and if it is really needed urgently I could schedule for release 1.2.

Actually Lbanet was conceived to be able to do at least the same things as lba1 and possibly lba2. But it is not only limited to that. This is the point of making a new engine as to remove the limitations of the old games. So if there are features that are missing we just need to add them to the engine instead of trying to hack the old game.

For the singleplayer/multiplayer part: now with the latest running lbanet engine you will have the same gaming experience playing single or multiplayer. To give you more details the singleplayer version of the game now runs a small server in the background so you can basically do the same things in single and multiplayer (no more restrictions).
Old 2011-05-23, 23:53
Polly parrot

Does it mean that even a multiplayer-based storyline could be done ?
Old 2011-05-24, 00:04
Let's revive Twinsen !

Send a message via MSN to Vindish
And how can i give and help on this? ^^
Old 2011-05-24, 00:34

not sure to understand what you mean by multiplayer based storyline
Old 2011-05-24, 15:41
Polly parrot

I don't know, a quest that needs two or more player in order to be completed.