Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2012-12-13, 20:30

Zoe.

While playing the first game, do any of you guys ever forget that you're actually trying to save Zoe and not the world?
Old 2012-12-13, 20:33
Neko

Yes! Because the character transcends from ordinary dude like you and me into a well....legend. Something bigger than his personal life is at stake.

That is what I like about LBA1.
Old 2012-12-13, 20:38

Agreed. I absolutely love Twinsens gradual rise to power
Old 2012-12-13, 20:43
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
whenever I play a game I always want to find my girl first, before saving the world!
That happened in lba1, in Jedi Knight 2 with Jan Ors and in Kingdom Hearts with Kairi. Fuck the world!
Old 2012-12-13, 20:54
this's longer than allowe

I always felt the same, in fact, I had this idea that Twinsen was going to be this big dictator in the future, like frunfrock, because of that same "gradual raise to power".
Old 2012-12-13, 21:05
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditzy Doo View Post
While playing the first game, do any of you guys ever forget that you're actually trying to save Zoe and not the world?
I suspect that if the game was released today, a major criticism would be how much it relies on the stereotypical formula of "goal is to save princess/girlfriend/wife/damsel in distress" etc. Zoe is by and large an incredibly weak and underdeveloped character in the LBA series as a whole, with the exception of when she fixes the car, and later, gets to stomp on crabs while you're walking with her and the umbrella.

One of the things we did with the Prequel was, to some degree, try to make stronger female characters involved in the plot IIRC.
Old 2012-12-13, 21:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-J View Post
I suspect that if the game was released today, a major criticism would be how much it relies on the stereotypical formula of "goal is to save princess/girlfriend/wife/damsel in distress" etc. Zoe is by and large an incredibly weak and underdeveloped character in the LBA series as a whole, with the exception of when she fixes the car, and later, gets to stomp on crabs while you're walking with her and the umbrella.

One of the things we did with the Prequel was, to some degree, try to make stronger female characters involved in the plot IIRC.
Eh, for the most part yeah it does run the cliche of saving the girl, but as I said, I always forgot about her.
Old 2012-12-13, 21:42
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Eh, for the most part yeah it does run the cliche of saving the girl, but as I said, I always forgot about her.
Well that's kind of my point - not only is she in a stereotypical role, but she's virtually insignificant to the plot after the first ten minutes or so.

For comparison's sake, that's almost always been the case with Princess Peach as well (with notable exceptions like SMB2 and the Mario sports games) and even Zelda, although she has a slightly better track record (OoT as Shiekah, SSB series, Wind Waker, even the CD-i series).
Old 2012-12-13, 21:46
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Plus, at least Zelda gets to shoot some arrows near the end normally. Better then standing in the corner.
--
Zoe in LBA2 is at least one of the only pregnant girls in the history of video games.
Old 2012-12-13, 21:48
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Zoe in LBA2 is at least one of the only pregnant girls in the history of video games.
That's pretty true, I can't think of any other ones offhand. And normally I'm not one who gets hung up on gender dynamics, sexism, etc. in plots. I just have always wondered why Zoe was such an afterthought in both games, given some of the colorful characters we find in the universe. Heck, to go further, the costume for Tabata and the Weather Wizard's creepy experiment are pretty blatant examples of objectification.
Old 2012-12-13, 21:55

Quote:
That's pretty true, I can't think of any other ones offhand. And normally I'm not one who gets hung up on gender dynamics, sexism, etc. in plots. I just have always wondered why Zoe was such an afterthought in both games, given some of the colorful characters we find in the universe. Heck, to go further, the costume for Tabata and the Weather Wizard's creepy experiment are pretty blatant examples of objectification.
And that wannie old ladie who has a kid and her only role is to cook a firefly tart
Old 2012-12-13, 22:06

Quote:
Well that's kind of my point - not only is she in a stereotypical role, but she's virtually insignificant to the plot after the first ten minutes or so.

For comparison's sake, that's almost always been the case with Princess Peach as well (with notable exceptions like SMB2 and the Mario sports games) and even Zelda, although she has a slightly better track record (OoT as Shiekah, SSB series, Wind Waker, even the CD-i series).
Well peach did get her own game, and Zelda had such a major role in Skyward sword (I actually cried a bit twords the end) And she was a Good character in that one.
Old 2012-12-13, 22:09

Must... Not... Laugh...

Spoiler:
Old 2012-12-13, 22:19
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carajo View Post
And that wannie old ladie who has a kid and her only role is to cook a firefly tart
Bitch, make mah tartz!!!111!1!!1!

Quote:
Well peach did get her own game, and Zelda had such a major role in Skyward sword (I actually cried a bit twords the end) And she was a Good character in that one.
I'm kind of conflicted about games for portable consoles (and I probably shouldn't be, given how much they sell). I just tend to not consider them as "full" games in a series even though they often are. Still, I'd be more impressed if Peach (or Zelda) got her own game on Nintendo's home console.
Old 2012-12-14, 01:04
strange dreamer

Not sure if you guys are trolling or actually speaking your minds.

I think all female characters of the LBA series are perfect.
I wouldn't like Zoe to be "stronger", to be a bold or anything like that. I like it that she has her own minor roles in the game, yet, she means everything - without her existance in the game I'd very much lack motivation to keep going.

I don't think Tabata's outfit, the weather wizard's fetish experiment, the girls in the sauna who scream "masher!!" at you, the mom whose only role we see is to cook tarts, the sensual assistant of the school of magic or even the cow trick are objectifications - they're just there to put a smile on our faces while we're frustrated figuring out how to complete a quest. Much like in real life, when we venture to catch glimpses of dazzling females to soften life's hardness.
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Old 2012-12-14, 01:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
Not sure if you guys are trolling or actually speaking your minds.

I think all female characters of the LBA series are perfect.
I wouldn't like Zoe to be "stronger", to be a bold or anything like that. I like it that she has her own minor roles in the game, yet, she means everything - without her existance in the game I'd very much lack motivation to keep going.

I don't think Tabata's outfit, the weather wizard's fetish experiment, the girls in the sauna who scream "masher!!" at you, the mom whose only role we see is to cook tarts, the sensual assistant of the school of magic or even the cow trick are objectifications - they're just there to put a smile on our faces while we're frustrated figuring out how to complete a quest. Much like in real life, when we venture to catch glimpses of dazzling females to soften life's hardness.
So it's sexist, but it's deliberated?
Old 2012-12-14, 01:12
/ʤæmfɪʃ/

Quote:
Much like in real life, when we venture to catch glimpses of dazzling females to soften life's hardness.
Um, what? That's why you want to see women???
And gave it a name, so then it wasn't mine
Old 2012-12-14, 01:31

Quote:
Bitch, make mah tartz!!!111!1!!1!

I'm kind of conflicted about games for portable consoles (and I probably shouldn't be, given how much they sell). I just tend to not consider them as "full" games in a series even though they often are. Still, I'd be more impressed if Peach (or Zelda) got her own game on Nintendo's home console.
That would be awesome. it could be zeldas adventure as shiek... considering thats the only one that she actually did soemthing game worthy...
Old 2012-12-14, 01:42
strange dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia View Post
Um, what? That's why you want to see women???
I'm not sure I get your question.

I am talking about one of the many reasons why women are so great to us and how this same principle is applied in the game, indirectly.
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Old 2012-12-14, 03:40
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
I'm not sure I get your question.

I am talking about one of the many reasons why women are so great to us and how this same principle is applied in the game, indirectly.
I think I get what you're trying to say, but it's still a very paternalist viewpoint.

Man, can't we go back to talking about dicks in jars and shit? Wearing my serious hat is annoying. I want to put the pirate hat back on.
Old 2012-12-14, 03:58
strange dreamer

Yeah, it's sexist, paternalist, whatever... better than being an hyprocrite you political correct people. Anyway, as Kasia said, you guys exxagerate.
It's just a little bit of it, to be honest I didn't even think so deeply on the subject until now (these aren't solid ideas).
Quote:
Old 2012-12-14, 04:06
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Yeah, it's sexist, paternalist, whatever... better than being an hyprocrite you political correct people. Anyway, as Kasia said, you guys exxagerate.
It's just a little bit of it, to be honest I didn't even think so deeply on the subject until now (these aren't solid ideas).
Like I said earlier, I don't usually get too hung up on issues like this. Far from it, actually. But there's nothing politically correct about pointing out that Zoe is, female or not, an underdeveloped character in the LBA series. Not everyone has to have a backstory, but her role is entirely stereotypical and only perpetuated by her status in the sequel as being pregnant and, save for her aforementioned wrench skills and crab stomping, virtually helpless.
Old 2012-12-14, 06:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeelichian View Post
Ive never understood why the legend of zelda games were even called legend of zelda.. why not the legend of link? Because yeah I agree.. zelda (in most games) didn't have a major role.. I've yet to play skyward sword.. and in wind waker she wasn't even zelda for most of it, but was tetra. And when she did become zelda again, she stayed in the castle.
Its called "legend of zelda" because.......... well play skyward sword it'll all make sense after it
Old 2012-12-14, 11:45
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
Too bad I don't have a wii, everybody talks good of Skyward Sword...
I don't agree with those who see "sexism" in LBA... not fully I mean. It's very common that girls in videogames aren't very important, because most gamers are male, and usually if there's a girl character in a videogame she's one hot piece of chick (especially in japanese games). While female characters in lba are not too many, there's not this kind of sexism... how sexy is a pregnant lady or a rabbit in bikini (sorry SGK ). And you seem to have forgotten the female rabbi who helps you in lba, the clobber a clone part. It's true lba1's storyline is pretty simple, but it was still 1994, probably if lba1 got released today it would have a movie-like story, but I'm not sure the gameplay and scenario would be so interesting anyway.

now, DJ, help me find those less serious threads you were talking about
Old 2012-12-14, 12:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeelichian View Post
Yeah but it was called the legend of zelda long before that. And why? Doesn't make sense to me. At least marios game is named after him.

Amd as soon as I find out how to download skyward sword to my wii then ill play it. Been wanting to.
Sorry, can't explain it. just happens to be how it is, besides what about Samus? non of her games are named after her.