Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > News
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

News Discuss the news posted on the MBN here

Old 2016-01-12, 16:28
Neko

There is a russian lba community? Cool!
Old 2016-01-24, 19:38
Daria Sharonova

Send a message via ICQ to Bestary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Flashy colours again ?
He-e-ey, that was not mine coloring! ^_^' That's some people in XXI век / GSC team who translated it in my country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
There is a russian lba community? Cool!
Yep, of cause. There is 857 members in VK group, me too of cause. ^^ That's most popular place of LBA-fans in Russia I see (like MagicBall for international).
Old 2016-01-24, 20:00
Daria Sharonova

I buy them!!! I buy them all! Whaaah! I have $7 and I visit a steam-page for LBA... And I see just "189 pуб." for two games. About $2 + in dollars. WTF. Sorry.

But I'm really happy! ^__^ Games looks awesome in steam. Aww, I can't stop smiling. )))
Their emoticon ": )" warms me.
Old 2016-01-24, 20:30
Polly parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestary View Post
Lol, so cute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestary View Post
Yep, of cause. There is 857 members in VK group, me too of cause. ^^ That's most popular place of LBA-fans in Russia I see (like MagicBall for international).
Wow, there is still a whole LBA world to be discovered out there...
Old 2016-01-25, 06:11
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
- Bestary: I have good Russian versions of LBA 1 and LBA 2, with voices too. Maybe I can find a way to get them to you. In fact, I have I think three Russian versions of LBA 2, each with a different set of voices, but one of the three just stands out for the excellent voice quality and excellent voice acting too. I remember I used to use that with Ladislav Tampa's Czech text translation for the last LBA 2 speedrun we had in #lba (ah, those were the days!).

Also, I really recommend setting up PCem and some version of DOS to play the LBA games. I contribute code to that emulator (and I even have an experimental branch (binary and source: http://citadel.ringoflightning.net/p...xperimental.7z) of it in which I do stuff before submitting it as patches to the mainline), and the LBA games are among the things for which I specifically reported (and sometimes fixed) emulator bugs of.
On my PC they both run at around ~101% on the emulated Pentium 75 and it's a crappy old Pentium Dual-Core E5700.
Old 2016-01-25, 11:21
Neko

Hey Battler,

what kind of cool features does that emulator of yours have?
Old 2016-01-25, 13:06
Daria Sharonova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler View Post
- Bestary: I have good Russian versions of LBA 1 and LBA 2, with voices too. Maybe I can find a way to get them to you. In fact, I have I think three Russian versions of LBA 2, each with a different set of voices, but one of the three just stands out for the excellent voice quality and excellent voice acting too. I remember I used to use that with Ladislav Tampa's Czech text translation for the last LBA 2 speedrun we had in #lba (ah, those were the days!).

Also, I really recommend setting up PCem and some version of DOS to play the LBA games. I contribute code to that emulator (and I even have an experimental branch (binary and source: http://citadel.ringoflightning.net/p...xperimental.7z) of it in which I do stuff before submitting it as patches to the mainline), and the LBA games are among the things for which I specifically reported (and sometimes fixed) emulator bugs of.
On my PC they both run at around ~101% on the emulated Pentium 75 and it's a crappy old Pentium Dual-Core E5700.
Yep, nice to see you again here! ^^
No-no, thank you, no need this. There is more than 6 different translations in Russia released by different pirate studios in past (cause that was the most useful method to get foreign games in my country, in those years), and I have one (but don't remember exactly what). Some days ago I spoke with one russian woman from vk-group, and she said that she had very awesome, soulful and emotional translation version, one of non-popular I think. But she lost her CD, unfortunatly. She searching for another one the same disk or disk image. She contact me cause my disk-box picture looked very close to her version.

She promised to share me if she will find it. ^^
Old 2016-01-25, 16:53
weee

Let me know if you find it... I'll upload it. It'd be a shame to lose such a thing forever.
Old 2016-01-26, 01:12
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
- Bestary: If you get that disc, find a way to get it to me too. I collect different versions of the LBA games, so that would be one very nice addition.
Also, and no offense meant, but for LBA 1, the Japanese voices beat the Russian ones hands down. I have LBA 1 in Japanese for both PC and PlayStation, and the voices are magnificent. Unfortunately, I have no Japanese version of LBA 2, all I know is that Activision released it in Japan in December 1997 according to some Japanese site, but probably the Japanese LBA 2 voices might be the best of the best.
Also, the Russian version I have of LBA 1 was actually made in Ukraine, Kharkov I think.

- Jesse: The emulator is actually Tom Walker's, I just contribute code to it. I got involved in mid 2014, and I have found out I enjoy doing it. The emulator can emulate a whole ton of old computers, all the way from the original IBM PC to Pentium-era machines.
It can even emulate a wide range of graphics cards, all the way from the CGA to a S3 Virge DX (yes, 3D acceleration is emulated!), and it can also the original 3dfx Voodoo. A friend of mine from my IRC network was playing Tomb Raider II in PCem on the Voodoo with 3D acceleration on the other day. He got it to work at 100%.
It also has one of the most accurate floppy controller and drive emulations you can find, and I am in the process of improving the CD-ROM emulation.
A wide range of sound cards is also emulated. So you have wide choice of everything (and the choice is ever increasing!).
Of course, the emulator has its fair share of bugs, but if you find any, just shout to me, and I'll guide you on how to get me the information I need and then hopefully fix the bug. Or report it here: http://pcem-emulator.co.uk/phpBB3/ .
Old 2016-01-26, 11:26
Neko

Quote:
- Bestary: If you get that disc, find a way to get it to me too. I collect different versions of the LBA games, so that would be one very nice addition.
Also, and no offense meant, but for LBA 1, the Japanese voices beat the Russian ones hands down. I have LBA 1 in Japanese for both PC and PlayStation, and the voices are magnificent. Unfortunately, I have no Japanese version of LBA 2, all I know is that Activision released it in Japan in December 1997 according to some Japanese site, but probably the Japanese LBA 2 voices might be the best of the best.
Also, the Russian version I have of LBA 1 was actually made in Ukraine, Kharkov I think.

- Jesse: The emulator is actually Tom Walker's, I just contribute code to it. I got involved in mid 2014, and I have found out I enjoy doing it. The emulator can emulate a whole ton of old computers, all the way from the original IBM PC to Pentium-era machines.
It can even emulate a wide range of graphics cards, all the way from the CGA to a S3 Virge DX (yes, 3D acceleration is emulated!), and it can also the original 3dfx Voodoo. A friend of mine from my IRC network was playing Tomb Raider II in PCem on the Voodoo with 3D acceleration on the other day. He got it to work at 100%.
It also has one of the most accurate floppy controller and drive emulations you can find, and I am in the process of improving the CD-ROM emulation.
A wide range of sound cards is also emulated. So you have wide choice of everything (and the choice is ever increasing!).
Of course, the emulator has its fair share of bugs, but if you find any, just shout to me, and I'll guide you on how to get me the information I need and then hopefully fix the bug. Or report it here: http://pcem-emulator.co.uk/phpBB3/ .
Ooh nice! I always wondered what soundcard got the best out of the LBA midi files. They all sound so different.

But this basically means you are not just emulating DOS, but a whole machine? that's pretty deep
Old 2016-01-27, 00:10
Polly parrot

PC emulation ? neat ! I never managed to run Tonic Trouble, but to emulate a pentium I'll have to wait a bit more I guess '
Nice to know it is being done though.
Old 2016-01-27, 05:40
Welcome to Zirla!

- Jesse: Make it over 20 whole machines. And over 20 graphics cards. For LBA 1, I recommend emulating the Sound Blaster AWE32 sound card. Then if you choose OPL3 in Setup, it will use your host's MIDI device (so you can easily hook, say, BASSMIDI for epic results), but if you choose General MIDI, it will use the OPL3 emulation.
But yes, this goes well beyond simple DOS emulation. The aim is to emulate whole machines and accurately so.

- Polaris: Pentium emulation is there, and it works really well.
Old 2016-02-01, 13:17
Panadol It's My Choice

Send a message via MSN to panadol
I have been on steam for years, Instantly brought it.. Just need some Profile wallpapers and some emoticons.

Also.. do we have a magicball.net steam community group up yet?
Old 2016-02-02, 04:07
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by panadol View Post
I have been on steam for years, Instantly brought it.. Just need some Profile wallpapers and some emoticons.

Also.. do we have a magicball.net steam community group up yet?
Don't think so.
But I found out yesterday that LBA has a Reddit page o.O
Old 2016-02-03, 10:49
Neko

Quote:
- Jesse: Make it over 20 whole machines. And over 20 graphics cards. For LBA 1, I recommend emulating the Sound Blaster AWE32 sound card. Then if you choose OPL3 in Setup, it will use your host's MIDI device (so you can easily hook, say, BASSMIDI for epic results), but if you choose General MIDI, it will use the OPL3 emulation.
But yes, this goes well beyond simple DOS emulation. The aim is to emulate whole machines and accurately so.

- Polaris: Pentium emulation is there, and it works really well.
Impressive!
Old 2016-05-31, 13:20
Panadol It's My Choice

Send a message via MSN to panadol
I made a few changes to the cfg file and was able to get the steam overlay and your also able to take screenshots if necessary.

Made a small guide if you guys and ladies are interested: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=690772750

Enjoy!
Old 2016-05-31, 23:21
Polly parrot

Cool, good job man