Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2005-09-09, 22:07
!!!!!

Last software you've downloaded

We have a Last Movie and a Last Game thread, so i thought this is only natural to have this one as well.

Btw, this is also a "Last software you bought" thread

Well, today is a great day for the downloader.
I downloaded Mozilla Firefox 1.5 Beta 1, which has many bug fixes and improvements. I like it, but so far most of the old extensions and themes don't work... just a matter of time till everybody update their extensions.

I also downloaded Paint Shop Pro X, and it's just better than old PSP9. It's much faster, has some cool features (like improved browser), and the interface looks a lot better.

What have you downloaded today?
Old 2005-09-09, 22:15
Master of Science & Magic

(not today, bust yesterday)
Psychonauts demo - as soon as I find a (local) store that sells the PC version I'm going to buy it.
Old 2005-09-09, 22:17
Fruto di tutti frutti

I didn't know there was new Firefox... downloading right away...

And what did I downloaded before... long time ago... Gimp maybe... can't remember now.

About software I bought (original), last one was Windows XP Home. Yes, you can laugh at me now.
Old 2005-09-09, 22:30
strange dreamer

limewire
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Old 2005-09-09, 22:34
Hello

Send a message via MSN to Gustav Sweden
emule
Old 2005-09-09, 22:41
strange dreamer

eMule SUCKS! it's heavy, slow, bulky and needs to stay on all day till it gets something!

...the only good things about it are the rare files, or big files, like the full OASIS discography of 700mb.... *sigh*
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Old 2005-09-09, 22:42
!!!!!

Omg WHY did you download Limewire? It's a the slowest file sharing program ever... You should just use RevConnect and Azureus.
edit: eMule is also a piece of shit, btw.

El: Hmm this seems interesting... I'll download the demo too.
Old 2005-09-09, 22:43
strange dreamer

?..

It's the fastest p2p program i've ever found till now!

in 5 mins i've got about 3 videos!

While with eMule and Azeureus it takes weeks........
Quote:
Old 2005-09-09, 22:45
!!!!!

At what speed does it download for you? I have a 1.5mb connection and with the average popular file (a file that has at least 20 sources) RevConnect reaches the maximum.
Old 2005-09-09, 22:47
strange dreamer

I dunno, I just know it's almost as fast as when I'm downloading something using save-target-as, which is the fastest way of downloading something, I think.
Quote:
Old 2005-09-09, 22:58
!!!!!

I guess you managed to set it up properly then... I haven't had such luck.

And eMule is NOT the king.
Old 2005-09-09, 23:40

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
Hardwar (the demo).
Old 2005-09-10, 00:11
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarKid
eMule SUCKS! it's heavy, slow, bulky and needs to stay on all day till it gets something!
Yep!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish
Well, today is a great day for the downloader.
I downloaded Mozilla Firefox 1.5 Beta 1, which has many bug fixes and improvements. I like it, but so far most of the old extensions and themes don't work... just a matter of time till everybody update their extensions.
Didn't know about that, downloading!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zink
And what did I downloaded before... long time ago... Gimp maybe... can't remember now.
the Gimp is great, the best free painting program, I think.
Old 2005-09-10, 00:26
thegnarlypanda

Send a message via AIM to hobmoblin
F.E.A.R Demo and I haven't stopped playing it.
Old 2005-09-10, 02:07
LBA fan

No P2P network is the king of anything.
Each one of them is better for a specific task.
Talking about programs is stupid because they are basically all the same if they use the same network.

If you're looking for rare files, that are no longer available through torrents, and you don't want to be fucked in the ass, the best thing to do is look for them in the ed2k network. Which can be done with various programs, such as eMule.

The speed will most certainly be slower than in other P2P networks, but you'll get your file. If you share enough and the file has enough sources though, it won't take to long. And your speed can be dramatically increased by using overnet, which is soft of a different way to download ed2k files. You can do so by using eDonkey2000, which is a hybrid client.

IMO eMule is an excellent ed2k client, anyway.

If you're looking for eh, anything (except for smaller files that are not popular and stuff like that), use BitTorrent. There's a bazillion great clients out there. None of them really has a speed advantage over the other. I use BitComet, Azureus is very nice. BitTorrent will normally rival every other P2P network in speed, under good conditions. If BitTorrent is not a great thing for you, you're doing something wrong.

Etc. For an example, if you're looking for really rare music and you don't have access to the appropriate BT trackers, you'll probably be able to find your stuff in SoulSeek.
Old 2005-09-10, 02:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobmoblin
F.E.A.R Demo and I haven't stopped playing it.

What are your computer specs? My FEAR demo can't run properly. Half the textures are white (aka: they won't render).
Old 2005-09-10, 02:36
thegnarlypanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightwing
What are your computer specs? My FEAR demo can't run properly. Half the textures are white (aka: they won't render).
AMD 2600+
ATi Redeon 9000 pro
1024mb RAM
Sound Blaster Live

Runs fine with all the settings on medium, have you got an nVidea card? I tried the demo on my other computer and it wouldn't run (it has an nVidea card).
Old 2005-09-10, 02:53

Nope. I got an ATiRedeon 9500 Pro, 2430MHz and 550mb of RAM...don't tell me that's not enough memory?
Old 2005-09-10, 03:08
thegnarlypanda

I'm sure thats enough, the website doesn't have the specs for the game yet though.
Old 2005-09-10, 11:13
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medur

If you're looking for eh, anything (except for smaller files that are not popular and stuff like that), use BitTorrent. There's a bazillion great clients out there. None of them really has a speed advantage over the other. I use BitComet, Azureus is very nice. BitTorrent will normally rival every other P2P network in speed, under good conditions. If BitTorrent is not a great thing for you, you're doing something wrong.
Indeed, not to mention many times people make torrents of old "classic" files, and thanks to the vastness of the BT network, you can get a nice choice of old music, games and movies.
This is work of higher intelligences, who take other, esoteric and psychological sciences into account than we are normally used to even consider, numerology being one of them, because everything for them is ritualistic and everything is meant for a deep programming of our psychological state. One day witchcraft and science will collide.
Old 2005-09-10, 13:18
Still in a dream...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightwing
Nope. I got an ATiRedeon 9500 Pro, 2430MHz and 550mb of RAM...don't tell me that's not enough memory?
Updated drivers and all that? Try the Omega Drivers for ATI (much better than Catalyst.)

Medur, well said. I'd just like to say that BitTorrent is amazing though. If you upload as well as download, and tehre are enough peers/seeders, you will reach your max downstream easily.
Old 2005-09-10, 13:28
!!!!!

Medur: What I don't undestand is why you go to ed2k after what you're looking for is no longer available in a torrent.
ed2k has many stuff, but it's slow. DC++ has no less files than ed2k if you know how to use it, and it can get bloody faster than a torrent. *Only* if (god forbid) you don't find what you're looking for in DC++, than you shall go to ed2k.
Old 2005-09-10, 14:25
Magic Ball Master

I downloaded PSP X which is nice and all, only the Color Balance tool was changed!

PSP9: --> PSPX:

This is pretty sucky since I really like the older version and I used it a lot. The PSPX version shouldn't even be called Color Balance as it only deals with white balance.
I'll just have to get used to the Channel Mixer and Red/Green/Blue tools, which effectively can do the same.

Everything else about PSPX is fine, though. It's a tad bit faster.
Old 2005-09-10, 17:13
LBA fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish
Medur: What I don't undestand is why you go to ed2k after what you're looking for is no longer available in a torrent.
ed2k has many stuff, but it's slow. DC++ has no less files than ed2k if you know how to use it, and it can get bloody faster than a torrent. *Only* if (god forbid) you don't find what you're looking for in DC++, than you shall go to ed2k.
I've never really looked into DC++, so I wouldn't know. It does seem interesting. I can normally get acceptable speeds in overnet and I use it very rarely, though.

And as Pandy said, good torrents will reach your max downstream, and we can only go this fast...
Old 2005-09-10, 20:19
What is this place?

Send a message via ICQ to Atresica Send a message via AIM to Atresica Send a message via MSN to Atresica
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko
This is pretty sucky since I really like the older version and I used it a lot. The PSPX version shouldn't even be called Color Balance as it only deals with white balance.
I'll just have to get used to the Channel Mixer and Red/Green/Blue tools, which effectively can do the same.

Everything else about PSPX is fine, though. It's a tad bit faster.
I'm quite confused anyway why they put out PSPX, #9 is only about a year old!

Tags
tech