Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2005-09-21, 10:57
!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightwing
Sounds like you should have saved the experience for the real thing.
Oh, stfu...
Old 2005-09-22, 02:31

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
I don't appreciate that as a joke.

Please take it back.
Old 2005-09-22, 12:46
!!!!!

Sorry, you didn't stroke me as a person who is offended by a friendly curse word.

/me takes it back
Old 2005-09-22, 14:12
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish
I'M IN HEAVEN!!!
I spent most of my last 12 hours playing Fahrenheit.
This is simply the best game I have ever played. (no offence, Twinsen)
The way it all looks so real, and it FEELS so real, the interface is built in such way you actually feel like you're the character. When your character is suffering (like claustrophobic fear for example) you suffer with him/her. Everything that is difficult for the character is also difficult for you. And did I mention it looks real? The animation in the game is not done by animators, it is done by actors.

Wow. I fear I'll finish it too soon though.
So you find this game better than lba? that's a pretty serious charge
After such a review I'll ofcourse download it, I just hope it works on my lame pc.

Where did you download it from, btw?
This is work of higher intelligences, who take other, esoteric and psychological sciences into account than we are normally used to even consider, numerology being one of them, because everything for them is ritualistic and everything is meant for a deep programming of our psychological state. One day witchcraft and science will collide.
Old 2005-09-22, 17:58
!!!!!

Nothing is "better" than LBA. It's just that, LBA is pretty old now, and well, mumble mumble, ok, I take that one back too.
Where did I download it? MiniNova, that's a torrent site. Downloaded the TetrisEmu release.
Old 2005-09-22, 22:04
!!!!!

Yeah I know what you're saying. May be right.
Don't spoil the fun though, hype ownz!

But Fahrenheit is an awesome breakthrough in the gaming industry, I think it's safe to say that.
Old 2005-09-23, 01:05

Look man, all we wonna know is, are the sex scenes in the game hot enough for us to spend extra cash on the imported version?? :-P

~_-
Old 2005-09-23, 03:36
Magic Ball Master

Hey guess what, I just finished the game. Here's a few thoughts about it.

In the end, Fahrenheit is more an interactive movie than a game. Troughout the game you'll have scenes where you walk around, solving (very simple) puzzles, but also a lot of prerecorded action sequences where you don't actually play, but press keys in a sort of "Simon Says meets DDR" kind of way. Once you get used to this and you're not too slow, it's actually quite fun to play.

The simple puzzles and fast action sequences combined make it a game where you can quickly walk through, as proven with myself because I started playing only yesterday. I was constantly curious to what would happen next.
Fortunately there are a lot of ways in the game where you manipulate the story, in fact a lot of your actions slightly change the rest of the game. This allows for great replayability, of course. I guess this makes up for the game's shortness. This game wouldn't have been good if dragged on for too long either, in fact the game was story-wise perfectly long enough.

The graphics are a bit dated, I guess that's understandable because I think the game has been in development for quite a while. Is this a bad thing? No, not at all. The graphics are good enough, and where they lack fancy effects, highres textures and lots of polygons, they do great in terms of style and atmosphere. (Especially the scene in the snowed park early in the game had a really good feeling to it.)

The music is really awesome. From the beginning on it really sets the mood for the game: dramatic, depressive, mysterious. Voice acting is fine.

A bit of comments about the plot (might be spoilers, but I'm not giving away too much): Spoiler:
I prefered the plotline in the beginning of the game, where it was closer to reality and not as far fetched with ancient clans, conspiracy theories and epic rituals which come forwards towards the end. I would have prefered more psychological serial-killer stuff instead of occultish stuff.

You can quite notice this is a QuanticDream production: like with Omikron there's a huge factor of player involvement in the game. The gestures you need to make to interact with the world for example feel quite natural, and also you can do useless stuff with the character you're playing with to just relax a bit, like playing guitar or toying with a yo-yo. Turn on the radio, get a drink, go to the toilet, etc. There are also nice scenes where you play a game of baseball or do boxing training and practice shooting with a colleague, which is a welcome relaxation in between all the dark and depressive scenes of the game. This makes the game very enjoyable to play.
Another QD trademark is the original gameplay elements. The action sequences are implemented in a way I've never seen before in a game, and it fits the game quite well. It wouldn't work in just any game, though.

The player's mood-bar is a nice feature (the player loses points and becomes more depressed if he's scared or depressed, and gains points if good things happen to him/her). I never had any of my characters commit suicide, so you probably don't have to pay too much attention to it. A lot of the events where the bar is affected are beyond the player's influence anyway.

Why you should play this game with a gamepad:
- the action sequences are easier, more intuitive, and more fun.
- vibration for extra game feedback (important notice: there is vibration during some of the sex scenes.)
- relaxed position!

Why not:
- The 'climbing' gesture was quite hard to make with analog sticks o_o this frustrated me a few times, as I had to replay a few parts of the game many times. This could be a thing with my specific gamepad though.
- Walking around was a bit awkward a few times... the arrow keys have a Twinsen-style walkaround mode (up/down = move, left/right = rotate) where the joypad works with the "point stick towards where you want to walk" concept, but sometimes this mysteriously turned around and I had to turn the stick in quite the opposite direction to walk the right way. Not a big issue, but a bit weird anyway.

All in all I'd suggest to play this with a joypad rather than keyboard/mouse if you can. Well, console players won't have a choice, anyway .

Eh, so, if you're in for a cinematic experience and you think you can handle the action parts (which might just be weird to you if you're expecting a relaxed adventure game), I suggest to give this game a try.

Last edited by wacko; 2005-09-23 at 03:59.
Old 2005-09-23, 07:33

So far I've heard nothing but good words used to describe Indigo. At the very least, critics say that the game wasn't all the way jaw-dropping, and 99% say that it's at least a descent form of entertainment.

This to me is VERY good news, both for the Adventure genre and the wonderful people at QuanticDream. From what I've heard of the french team, I have much more faith in Omikron 2. However, I can't really assert my feelings until I play Indigo myself.
Old 2005-09-23, 14:25
Party animal

Quote:
Look man, all we wonna know is, are the sex scenes in the game hot enough for us to spend extra cash on the imported version?? :-P

~_-
Sex without love is pointless and wrong. :F
This is work of higher intelligences, who take other, esoteric and psychological sciences into account than we are normally used to even consider, numerology being one of them, because everything for them is ritualistic and everything is meant for a deep programming of our psychological state. One day witchcraft and science will collide.
Old 2005-09-23, 15:53
!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakin
:F
Is this a drooling smiley?
Old 2005-09-23, 16:10
Party animal

No.
I don't know what it is, but it just seems to fit after some sentences..
Old 2005-09-23, 17:00
Magic Ball Master

Aule invented it.
Old 2005-09-23, 17:07
Party animal

Yeah, I got it from aule, though i don't remember if he invented it or saw someone else using it.
Old 2005-09-23, 22:01
!!!!!

Woah just finished the game. Damn you wacks btw, you're teh faster.

I'm very sad that's it finished, but I'm surely gonna play some parts of it again, so I'll uncover more plot possibilities. Uncle pink is sorta right, I don't think it's better than LBA anymore
But I still think this is the best game I played for quite a few years now. Vampire Bloodline game for instance doesn't come near it.

The characters probably won't commit suicide unless you want them to. And I wanted them to

Now for the million dollar question: Who's the hottest female character? I'm having a hard time choosing between Carla and Tiffany.

Oh and, Spoiler:
Btw, the thing I did NOT like is that the ending was too fast and sudden and it made a too sharp turn in the plot. The ending wasn't satisfying enough.

Last edited by ChaosFish; 2005-09-23 at 22:14.
Old 2005-09-23, 22:34

I'll have to wait a while before purchasing the UK copy though.

50 dollars is a bit ridiculous for a video game.
Old 2005-09-23, 22:51
LBA fan

Perhaps you could buy the american version, and download the real thing.
Old 2005-09-23, 22:56

You don't understand meeen. I'm trying to support importing meen!

Down with the American commercial entertainment, meeen!
Old 2005-09-23, 22:57
!!!!!

Duuudeee.....
Old 2005-09-23, 22:57
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
50 dollars is a bit ridiculous for a video game.
Actually that's the normal price in euros for a new PC game here. (€1 ~= $1.22 at the moment)
Console games are even more expensive.

Even so, I'm considering buying the game to support the creators for making a game with highly experimental gaming modes, and being succesful at it.
Old 2005-09-25, 21:45

I heard the game's storyline and script are weak.
Old 2005-09-27, 01:39
Party animal

HELP.
I downloaded the game, but it says it can't read the dvd, and i can't find a crack.
So i'm asumming i need to download something called tetris emu?
what is it exaclty?
i can't find it
Old 2005-09-27, 01:42
Do the evolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish
Is this a drooling smiley?
CF - it's a Fampire
Old 2005-09-27, 09:42
Master of Science & Magic

I'm quite disappointed with Fahrenheit. Sure it was short, but the way the game was made, it was good, otherwise I had to buy a new keyboard. You can't call this an adventure game, it's more of an action game where reaction time is very important.
The story was ok, they could have made it longer (and added better depth in it) in they changed it more to an adventure game.

It's omikron all over again. A great game concept\idea, but with a couple of extremely bad decisions that pretty much kill the game. I never finished omikron, because I couldn't stand to play it any longer.
Old 2005-09-27, 13:21
Party animal

Played one hour of Fahrenheit, it's pretty interesting and impressive.
I'll post a review when I'm done.