Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > Fan Creations > Fan Creations - General
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Fan Creations - General The place for the creative LBA fans.

Old 2009-08-26, 13:45
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

LBA 1 Transcription

hi,

I'm a movie-student from Austria, I'm currently working on my final bachelor-thesis about the interdependency of movie script methods and stories in game design.

I've chosen LBA 1 as one of three examples for good stories in games and will analyse it based on film analyst methods. For this I need a, as complete transcription as possible. As this would take up a huge amount of time, if I would really play the game while writing, I'm doing it via video-playthroughs. Unfortunately I could only find a speed-playthrough for LBA1 without any dialogue.
My question is, if anyone in this forum happens to have made some kind of transcription of the story of LBA1, especially the dialogues. Something like that would be of great help to me.
As soon as I have finished the transcript (which will be in a kind of screenplay-format) I will of course gladly make it available on this site.

thx in advance for your help and I really appreciate everything that is done on this site to keep attention for this legendary game up!
(and I love the smilies)
Old 2009-08-26, 13:52
Magic Ball Master

Modding tools make it possible to extract any text directly from the game, be it dialogue or story text. Do you need it in English or German?

Here's a sample text: This is not the original LBA 1 text, it has been reviewed by me to match the German spelling reform.
Spoiler:

Quote:
Twinsun, am Rande einer kaum besuchten Galaxie gelegen, ist ein junger Planetoid. Dieser Planetoid, der sich in einer langsamen Rotation um sich selbst dreht, ist eine zwischen zwei Sonnen gelegene Welt.
Am Äquator hat sich eine hohe Bergkette gebildet, die den Planetoiden in zwei Halbkugeln aufteilt, jede von einer Sonne erhellt.
Die Nord-Halbkugel ist wärmer und der Himmel hat dort eine orange Farbe. Aber außer des Gletschergürtels ist das Klima des Gestirns mild. Die Entstehung von Leben an der Oberfläche wurde somit gefördert. Binnen einiger Jahrhunderte haben sich vier Hauptarten entwickelt: die Pummel, die Haasis, die Quetsche und die Dickos. Bis vor kurzem lebten sie noch in Harmonie, bis ein Tyrann auftauchte: Dr FunFrock.

Seit seiner Machtübernahme lebt die Bevölkerung unter einer Diktatur. Der Tyrann hat einen Polizeistaat geschaffen, in dem Misstrauen herrscht. Er ist allmächtig und führt das Volk mit eiserner Hand und dies dank zweier Techniken: das Klonen und das Biemen.
Anhand eines Modells jeder Art dupliziert er unendlich viele billige und ergebene Soldaten. Er kann sie dann augenblicklich versetzen, dank eines Netzes von Biemzellen, das den gesamten Planetoiden deckt.

Vor ein paar Jahren hat Dr FunFrock, das Wohl der Bevölkerung zum Vorwand nehmend, alle Bewohner auf die Süd-Halbkugel geschickt. Es wird hart duchgegriffen. Es vergeht kein Tag ohne Verhaftungen, und selten sind die Widerstandskämpfer, die noch an Freiheit glauben.
Um weiter Hoffnung zu schöpfen, erwähnen sie manchmal eine alte Legende und den Namen einer Göttin: Sendell. Diese beiden Glauben sind von Dr FunFrock verboten worden.

Während dieser Zeit ... träumt ein junger Quetsch namens Twinsen von seltsamen Dingen ...
Old 2009-08-26, 15:00
Previously Link

I think he meant an organized transcript, following the story of the game. However, as it's a game, there's not only one possible transcript... But if you do this, I'd be glad to read it. I would love to read the thesis too !
I once made a kind of audio transcript of LBA2, more like an audio story of the game. But never went further than the school of magic.
Old 2009-08-26, 15:10
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link View Post
I think he meant an organized transcript, following the story of the game. However, as it's a game, there's not only one possible transcript... But if you do this, I'd be glad to read it. I would love to read the thesis too !
I once made a kind of audio transcript of LBA2, more like an audio story of the game. But never went further than the school of magic.
I know that a full transcript would require a lot of work, but copying the original text from the game rather than writing it down by hand should save at least some work.
Old 2009-08-27, 16:35

thanks for the fast replies!

link is right, I will do an organized transcript, with the whole story and, if possible, with the dialogues. I'm doing this right now with the original Secret of Monkey Island, and I've devised a kind of screenplay-like formating structure for it. It works rather well. The problem is, as mentioned, that I can't find a playthrough of LBA1 with dialogue.
I have one for the general story, so, the dialogues would be sufficient I guess, I don't know for sure yet, how I'm gonna manage the cut-sequences.

Anyway, kobold, I don't really know how to use modding tools, but the excerpt you put on looks great! I think I'm gonna stick to the English version, as I also used it with Monkey Island. I don't know how long it takes to get all the dialogue and story-texts out of the game with a modding tool. It would be truly wunderbar if you could help me with that, depending of how much time the process takes. If it's a lot of work, just tell me the modding tool I would have to use and I'll try to extract it myself.

thx again for your fast and constructive replies
Old 2009-09-01, 17:06
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Hi 3headedmonkey,

I attached a zip containing text files of both LBA1 and LBA2 games in all languages in xml format. Not only dialog texts are in there but also text used for menu or in game posters so it will need a bit of sorting from your side. Hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Texts.zip‎ (342.4 KB, 120 views)
Old 2009-09-02, 22:48

thx rincevent, that's definitely a possibility to get the dialogue into the walkthrough. if I don't find an easier way, I'll use the xmls and the fact, that they also contain in-game-messages is very good. thanks again!
Old 2009-09-28, 13:31

Quote:
I've finished the narrative transcription, it doesn't contain all the dialogue of the game, but I think it contains everything that's important to read the story. if anyone wants to read it, I'd be glad to have some feedback, if I missed something important or if something is wrong (not in terms of grammar, that's not important at the moment, but in terms of story).

@Link: here you go . I can send you the final thesis as soon as its finished (19 october), but it's written in german, so I don't know if it would be of any use for you.
Old 2009-09-28, 13:32

and here's the transcript ...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LBA1_transcript.pdf‎ (124.0 KB, 460 views)
Old 2009-09-28, 13:42
Magic Ball Master

On page 4 it says "GOBO CLONE" which should be Grobo clone.
Old 2009-09-28, 14:55
Previously Link

Hmm, can't read german...
Old 2009-09-28, 16:49
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Hmm, can't read german...
It's all in English.
Old 2009-09-29, 14:02
Previously Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3headedmonkey View Post
@Link: here you go . I can send you the final thesis as soon as its finished (19 october), but it's written in german, so I don't know if it would be of any use for you.
I was referring to this.
Old 2009-09-30, 01:14

@Kobold: thanks! if that's the only mistake you found, I'm pleased.

@link: I can send you the 3page english abstract, I have to write, because I will definitely not translate the whole thing, and the methods-part isn't really interesting anyway.