Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2006-05-15, 01:31
inharmonic explorer

Is it sad that a game should have such a significant impact?

I'm not sure if this should inspire or disturb me, but LBA2 has actually had a significant impact on my life. I mean, if I were to list events that had a profound impact on me, playing "Litte Big Adventure 2" during my years as an over-sensitive, over-imaginative nine year to ten-year-old would definately feature significantly.

It's strange how a surreal, slightly insane videogame should have such an effect on me. I'm writing this as I listen to the wonderful music that Phil Vachey composed for the game; I think the soundtracks to both games had a particularly strong part to play in how affecting the games were for me.
Old 2006-05-15, 01:57
Do the evolution.

It's perfectly normal. Didn't your parents told you that they were reading books under their pillows with a flashlight until morning when they were young? Nowadays we have games, wich are sometimes more powerfull on the imagination than any book can hope of. If it were games like LBA that shaped your personality, it's probably something very good to you. Children that grew on games like doom or quake are less imaginative and generally dumber, and kids that played adventure games are smarter than any only book reading kid.
Of course I'm not saying that books aren't good, I'm myself a book maniac - they can also be very powefull, but a prospect of being a part of an adventure is something a book can't give you.

Of course you can say it is sad, even very sad, becouse after almost living inside that adventure you had o go back to the real world!
Your eyes on adventuring have been opened, now live with the responsibility! Knowledge brings it!

Old 2006-05-15, 04:05
The return of

Children that grew on games like doom or quake are less imaginative and generally dumber, and kids that played adventure games are smarter than any only book reading kid.
Where did you get this 'fact' from? Sorry mate, you cant generalise like that.

Id say LBA is the main reason im in the city im in at the moment, the main reason im studyin the course i am studying. Its the reason for so many things. Theres something in lba we grew to love, therefore probably wished to develop upon.

I know id like to become a game designer one day, and study LBA, and further it (not just lba, but create games that further the technique, style, and elements that made lba so special, and so inspire others!)
Old 2006-05-15, 06:21
Magic level: Ice Ball

Send a message via MSN to morshem
I'm thinking hard, but I can't see why such a thing should be considered "sad".
Old 2006-05-15, 09:02
inharmonic explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by morshem
I'm thinking hard, but I can't see why such a thing should be considered "sad".
"Sad" was admittedly the wrong word for the title. Perhaps "unusual" or "surprising" would have been more in line with what I intended.
Old 2006-05-15, 09:57
Master of Science & Magic

San Andreas had the same effect on me. I now go out stealing cars, kill cops, etc.
Not in real life ofcourse, I'm not an idiot.

Quote:
Of course I'm not saying that books aren't good
Then I'll do it for you. Book are not good, they damage your eyes and you neck.
Old 2006-05-15, 11:42
Do the evolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axx
Where did you get this 'fact' from? Sorry mate, you cant generalise like that.

Expierience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Death
Book are not good, they damage your eyes and you neck.
I agree about damaging your eyes, there were almost no need for glasses until old age when people generally couldn't read, but that doesen't mean their bad becouse of it, they do wonders to your imagination, and the way you speak or behave. I'd prefer to be well educated than have 100% healthy eyes. And about the neck? I mostly read lying on my back with my head on a pillow, never had but a single ache becouse of it.
Old 2006-05-15, 11:48
Zebrazilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasiek
Expierience...
So, basicaly, what you are saying is that you find yourself being less imaginative and generally dumber for having played such game at a young age?

Really, you can't generalise like that. That's like saying all men are rapists, or that only homosexuals and prostitutes get aids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Muerte
Everything's relative to each and every person, as you all hopefully know. ^^ I personally always get neck and back pain from reading books, though I do not feel any significant damage on my eyes.

LBA Speedruns
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% PC - Time: 01h 04m 23s
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% Android - Time: 01h 04m 35s
Old 2006-05-15, 11:56
Do the evolution.

I meant expierience with people like that, but it can be all the way around, they were dumb so they mostly played games in wich they could kill and murder and such and it brought them most joy. Me ? My first game was Flashback on Amiga, Anotherworld than Super Frog, Benefactor, Beneath a Steel Sky, Lemmings, Gobliins, James Pond, Rick Dangerous, Stardust, Prince of Persia etc. And then PC games, LBA1 mostly, wich was the best of them all, after that I was more into RPG and adventure than platform games. As for my own observation, I may never now do people who choose simple games are simple, or their simple becouse of playing simple(shoot'n kill) games.
Old 2006-05-15, 12:05
Zebrazilla

My personal belief in this matter is that people who are stupid and play such games are generally stupider than a 'normal person' to begin with. I believe they tend to get even stupider while playing these games, compared to if they had played adventure/puzzle-solving games.

This does, however, not mean that children who grew up with these games are generally more incompetent in any way. In my defence, I have my own personal experience from having played these games at a very young age. Obviously, I don't regard myself as less imaginative or generally dumber.

People who are dumb are dumb, it's as simple as that. Many things may contribute to these people being dumb, but pointing out something like that is to generalise, and that is in the very essence of it, dumb.

LBA Speedruns
Old 2006-05-15, 12:10
Do the evolution.

Than our experience is different. Anyways I wasn't being 100% serious about that, if you haven't noticed.
Old 2006-05-15, 12:11
a well established member

Send a message via MSN to Echomote
Quote:
I agree about damaging your eyes, there were almost no need for glasses until old age when people generally couldn't read, but that doesen't mean their bad becouse of it, they do wonders to your imagination, and the way you speak or behave. I'd prefer to be well educated than have 100% healthy eyes. And about the neck? I mostly read lying on my back with my head on a pillow, never had but a single ache becouse of it.
My arms ache when I do that, but then the only books i've read in the past 2 years was harry potter. If you lean the book on your chest, you cant breath, if you hold it up it hurts your arms. Lying in bed doesn't work dammit

__

About LBA having an impact, I don't think so - sure it's my fav game and all - but I still don't go chucking my magicball at people in real life.
Old 2006-05-15, 12:14
Zebrazilla

Quote:
Than our experience is different. Anyways I wasn't being 100% serious about that, if you haven't noticed.
Every person has different experiences, I don't blame you for that ^^

Not 100% serious? Oh, I could tell. I just wanted to point out that it wasn't even remotely true, in my point of view. ^^ Not even one bit! Not even 1%
Har har har, har de har har

Eitherway, back to the topic.
Sure, LBA has had a great deal of impact on me in my childhood. I must admit.

LBA Speedruns

Last edited by Homeless; 2006-05-15 at 12:51.
Old 2006-05-17, 14:59
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

sad?

LBA does have quite an affect on people, for a while when i was about 6 i thought i was Twinsen, lol. and how could such an awsome game not effect someones entire life?!
Old 2006-05-17, 16:34
Master of Science & Magic

Hmmm... got a point there... Because of Twinsen I know some people on this forum for over 8 years, almost 9

Damn you games... thanks to you I now know people from all over the world
Old 2006-05-17, 20:14
/ʤæmfɪʃ/

Thanks to LBA, my sister and I got closer together again, because we wanted to help each other complete it...
Old 2006-05-17, 21:53
Do the evolution.

I run like Twinsen... beat that!

At least that's what people say...
Old 2006-05-20, 14:27

wow i thought i was the only 1 that still plays this game i been playing since it 1st came out come across your Site looking for a Sequel to the game and no its not sad at all to really love this game!!
Old 2006-05-20, 14:33
.II

Send a message via MSN to .TakaM
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Muerte
San Andreas had the same effect on me. I now go out stealing cars, kill cops, etc.
Not in real life ofcourse, I'm not an idiot.

books also are training todays youth to kill people and do drugs and the book rating system is not strict or thorough enough

hohoho....

I loved the first LBA, me and my brother remade a lot of the areas out of lego when we were kids. LBA2 i didnt obsess about as much.. it just wasnt as good as the first one to me.
Old 2006-05-20, 14:37

i only have the 2nd 1 at the moment cant seem to fiund the 1st one
Old 2006-05-20, 18:39
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
Well , Jasiek is right !!! Shooting monsters and driving at 300 mph constricts your mind and limits your imaginative boundryes . So , you can say all you want , but you get stupider by the day , without even knowing it . And you know why ??? The game universe remains the same , so you view it the same ... so to you , nothing changed with YOUR MIND ... but in fact , you've lost contact with reality and you became all of a sudden , not "stupider" but you tend to see the world in a WRONG WAY ...
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2006-05-23, 01:39
Zebrazilla

I would never know my greatest friends of all friends, Jakob, or better known as Crazybee, if it wasn't for LBA and this forum. This must undeniably be a good and happy thing! Not a sad thing!

LBA Speedruns
Old 2006-05-24, 11:08
Éy! I'm not teletubby!!..

I love LBA and I love this community. It's changed my life in a great way, really.

And neither I would've met Patrik, which is maybe better known as Homeless, the greatest friend of all! \o/

Thanks LBA and thanks MBN.
Last edited by CrazyBee; Today at 21:01. Reason: (BAD ENGLISH)
Old 2006-05-28, 00:43
a well established member

Send a message via MSN to Echomote
Well I guess LBA did introduce me to my first forum
Old 2006-05-28, 00:46
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
Lba is one of the most important things in my life, donno why though , the only sad thing about lba is that every ppl i showed the game to (xcept one) say it sucks and nowadays games are 100 times better. Bah.
Quote:
Expierience...
Great, when i was reading that I heard "Experience new touch". I realized only now it was the tv behind me. Phew