Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2013-02-15, 17:11
Magic Ball Master

Your Top 5 Must See Films Before You Die

Considering we are talking about 2013 films, I thought it might be nice to talk about what films you would consider must see throughout your lifetime. Obviously, that doesn't necessarily mean they are your favorite films, but it doesn't have to be mutually exclusive.

Spend a little time explaining why you think the film is worth seeing. Movie posters/images/clips/etc. are always welcome.

For what it's worth, my selections are my opinion. As a disclaimer that does not mean I am either racist or somehow cannot appreciate things like Bollywood, Japanese horror, etc. Since I know that may (read: inevitably) come up, let's stop with that right now.

Note: Obviously, this thread has spoilers. Depending on how recent the films are, that may/may not matter to you. You've been warned.

Without further ado...

---

5. Young Frankenstein (1974), starring Gene Wilder, Marty Feldman, Cloris Leachman, Madeline Kahn

Featuring some of his most vaunted ensemble actors, director Mel Brooks' 1974 effort is probably his best film. Like most of his comedies Young Frankenstein is an homage to a film genre, in this case Brooks' nod to the Universal horror films pumped out throughout the 1930s and 1940s. The film is shot in a grainy black and white that only adds to the atmosphere and the use of the original Frankenstein sets was a fortuitous stroke of genius.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH97lImrr0Q
As demonstrated here, Wilder and Feldman shared an incredible sense of comedic timing. One of the funniest and most memorable parts of the film.

Wilder stars as Frederick von Frankenstein ("That's Frank-en-steen!" is the common exclamation throughout the film) who has spent his medical career distancing himself from the morbid legacy of his Transylvanian grandfather. But when Transylvania comes calling, Wilder is joined by the bumbling lackey Igor ("It's pronounced eye-gore," a clever nod to Feldman's unique ocular appearance and an in-joke on the earlier Frank-en-steen) and gorgeous lab assistant Inga (Teri Garr). Rounding out the cast is Cloris Leachman, who always manages to steal any scene; Kahn as Wilder's doting but ditzy fiance, and Boyle as the Monster. Look for Kenneth Mars in an all-too-brief appearance as Inspector Kemp and a cameo by Gene Hackman as the blind man.

---

4. To Have and Have Not (1944), starring Humphrey Bogart, Lauren Bacall, Walter Brennan

First of three novel-based movies on this list, To Have and Have Not is a (very loose) adaptation of the Hemingway book of the same name. Real-life sweethearts Bogart and Bacall share a chemistry on-screen that helps explain why they would be lovers off camera, despite this being her first film role. Directed by the legend himself, Howard Hawks (of Scarface (1932) among many others). Bogart stars as Harry Morgan, a disenchanted expatriot who runs a boat touring/fishing expedition service in Martinique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFfuUu5xmMA
Highlighting her unusually deep voice, Bacall lends a seductive element. The connection with Bogart was more than just acting chemistry.

Morgan reluctantly offers assistance to members of the French resistance. When the local Vichy bullies start harassing Harry's friend, Eddie (Walter Brennan in a memorable role as a slow-witted, alcoholic first mate), enough is enough. I suspect that most people would pick Casablanca over this film. That's fine. To me, it comes down to Bacall and Bogart. I found Ingrid Bergman's performance to be uninspiring in that film, whereas here the two leads are considerably more organic.

---

3. In the Heat of the Night (1967), starring Sidney Poitier and Rod Steiger

Based on the 1965 book of the same name, this film spoke volumes about race relations in the U.S. and thus was a poignant critique and a damn good movie all at once. Many of the best ones are. This is, in my opinion, Poitier's finest role and firmly cements him as one of America's greatest living actors. A murder mystery set in rural Mississippi, the cinematography uses some great lights/darks to really set the tone of a gritty, heavy atmosphere that envelopes Poitier's Virgil Tibbs, a police detective from Philadelphia who is traveling through and ends up unavoidably tangled in the mess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fukgy8w5_X0
This is undoubtedly one of the most iconic scenes in modern cinema, especially given the film's commentary on race.

Steiger's performance as the overbearing, racist police chief Gillespie, and his tentative transition from bigot to acceptance throughout the film, is indeed a fine performance. Solving the murder almost becomes secondary as the viewer is left wondering when, not if, the tension in this small community will explode.

---

2. Ghostbusters (1984), starring Dan Aykroyd, Bill Murray, Harold Ramis, Sigourney Weaver

If you haven't seen this classic piece of 80s cinema, you may have a.) not been born in the 1980s b.) been dead before that c.) be lame. Whichever it is, this film is absolutely hysterical and it comes at your from a variety of angles. Aykroyd, Murray, and Ramis (later Ernie Hudson added to the mix) are paranormal punishers for hire, having developed proprietary equipment to detect, trap, and imprison ghosts. Murray comes at the audience like a sledgehammer as the straight man, while Aykroyd is the child-at-heart who relishes the unknown. Ramis' deliberately woody performance turns parapsychiatric jargon into moments of hilarity, such as this classic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzaQjS1JstY
Sadly, with the bankruptcy of the Hostess company, Twinkies may only be remembered in films and our gastronomical memories.

Sigourney Weaver plays the damsel in distress, her apartment haunted by both ghosts (in the form of demon dogs) and her doting, annoying neighbor, Louis (Rick Moranis). Turning to the Ghostbusters for help, the plot quickly evolves as her building becomes an antenna for paranormal activity seeking to summon powerful demigod Gozer, bearing a striking resemblance to Freddie Mercury.

Again, if you haven't seen this, you're depriving yourself of a real treat. Go. Now. Or else there will be dogs and cats, living together...mass hysteria.

---

1. The Godfather (1972) starring Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, Robert Duvall, Diane Keaton, James Caan

If you've been here long enough, you know that I am fond of the crime/mob movie genre. So of course I will have to go with The Godfather, based on the bestselling novel by Mario Puzo. This Academy Award winning (back when that meant something) film is the first in a trilogy tracing the Corleones, a Sicilian-American family and their other incarnation, a Sicilian-American crime family. This is director Francis Ford Coppola's finest work in my eyes (seconded by the sequel and Apocalypse Now). The cinematography is absolutely brilliant, and the recent blu ray restoration only adds to it. Lush reds and oranges contrast well with the deep darks to convey a heady atmosphere between the 'family' (as noted in the wedding scene, the baptism, etc.) and the 'Family' (Don Corleone's office, the restaurant, etc.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppjyB2MpxBU
The transition for Michael (Al Pacino), from emasculated youngest son to hardened murderer: from family to Family.

Though the trilogy is about Al Pacino's Michael Corleone, Marlon Brando stole the first film with an iconic performance as Don Vito Corleone. When his father is incapacitated by a rival mob family, Michael murders the men who he believes to be responsible, permanently altering his life arc and going from army hero to mafioso. The movie centers on Michael's attempt to settle family business, culminating with Coppola's brilliant tableau in the form of a baptism/mass assassination plot, all at once summarizing the contrast of the film as both the sacred and the profane.

Last edited by Double-J; 2013-02-15 at 17:41. Reason: fixed some minor grammatical issues
Old 2013-02-15, 17:31
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Some good classic choices there.I enjoyed Young Frankenstein a lot - but its a good decade since I have seen it.

I'll have to think hard about mine. Theres lots of great films, both old and new that I love....but its hard to think strictly of "must see" ones, as other they are somewhat interchangeable with similar ones.
ie. In terms of films that have made me laugh the most its probably films like "Airplane!" , but it has pretty much the same humor as "Top Secret!" and the naked gun series/films too. Non are significantly special to me over the others.
Old 2013-02-15, 17:37
Magic Ball Master

The Abahams/Zucker brothers comedies are absolutely hilarious! I love them as well. Airplane! nearly made my cut actually, but I still give the nod to Young Frankenstein for having the more cohesive direction. But I totally agree with you there.

Thank you for putting some time and thought into your (eventual) response as well, I'm really interested to hear what other people would recommend!
Old 2013-02-16, 05:23
You Only Live Twice

Send a message via AIM to Twinsan Send a message via MSN to Twinsan
my top 5 in no particular order would be the following

Jaws

In my opinion the greatest film ever made by Spielberg, Jaws is a prime example of What happens when everything about a film comes together and just makes it work.

The music of jaws (i'll start with) is made by none other than the legendary John Williams! In 2 simple little notes Mr Williams puts in an element of suspense, neevr before heard in cinema and in my opinion, nothing has come close to the suspense a piece of music has given to a film. The famous nena, nena is widely reorganized as the theme of the great white shark and put the fear into the hearts of swimmers worldwide! One cannot help appon hearing it and thinking the shark is comming and suddenly even dry land dosn't seem safe from the menacing jaws of a killer great white! The little ring of amity theme is nice as it give that sort of innocence in the face of danger as the shark theme quickly closes into to it's finish.

Jaws is obviously and admittedly inspired by the greta the late the marvelous alfied hitchcock! Master of suspense and Jaws delivers suspense alright. You know the shark is comming you hear the theme, but you do not see the shark until it's too late and in some scenes you do not even see bruce at all. This is the beauty of Stevens directing, by not showing the greta rubber animetronic shakr bruce, not only dose the suspense, it also gets rid of the problem o the fake looking shark. Also Steven naturally wnated some picture of real sharks and lucky for him, he got one, for whta might be one of the films most inse moment, when jaws attacks hoopers cage. The shark thats actualy attacking the cage after hooper escapes is 100% bonfied great white shark, no lies, he actually got footage of a shark doing that, scary huh?

Finnaly the acting is Jaws is top notch and our three hero's hooper, chief broody and Quint, all have a story to tell and believible at that. One of the most memoribl scenes was the story of the uss indianpilis and the implied reason for quints life as a shark hunter as he tells the horror story of how sharks took the life of the the crewmen as they are hopelesssly stranded at sea, to which they expect no rescue as the mission was so secret.

Star wars: A New Hope

The 70's were a turbulent time apprently, unemployment was rife and there was anarchy all around and people were looking to escape from their lives. Then a man name george Lucas created "Star wars" a low budget space opera, which became (adjusted for inflation) the second highest grossing film ever made! Star wars brought what the people wanted, a fantasy land where they could escape from reality and be blown away by a simple story about a boy on tatoine who longed for more, than his life as moisture farmer.

Star wars exploded onto the scene with, space fight, lazer guns, death stars that blow up planets, blades that can cut through anything and deflect fire, heros, villians and a story thats all heart. There is no denying the cultural impact of star wars, from what was originally a very low budget film, exploded to; the best selling toy range ever, 2 trilogies, it's own TV show, a cult following, the most infamous villians to the most belovd hero's.

Villains speaking of villains, star wars is famous for the badest one of all, darth vader. A man standing over 6 foot tall clad in black armour witht eh power of the force at his will as well as light saber at the ready. Vader is ruthless, torture and choking his own men with his mind is scary enough, but vader is as killed with his lightsaber as he is imposing and easily overpowers his enemies. The cybernetic terror has earnt his place in history as one of the most recognized villians of all time, ushering in the often misquoted phrase, "No, I am your father" althrough thats in the empire strikes bakc, all credit must go to the film that introduces him!

Oh I am going to mention Williams agian because if you know star wars you will know the score. It's easily on eof the most recognised theme songs in existance, whetehr it be the march of the empire or the opening credits theme, williams glues this space opera together with an academy award winnign score that strikes both fear and hope into the minds of viewers! So sit bakc and relax as you read the lines, A long time ago in a galaxy far far away.....

Toy Story

It was ocne thought it was madness to create a movie digitally from scratch using computers. Then along came pixar and blew audiences away, with Toy story, the first film ever to be completely made my computers. Toy story is well know for it's smart script and great voice performances from the likes of tom hanks. The story takes that old childhood premise of what if my toys are alive and makes into a reality. Following of the tale of cowboy doll Woody as he struggles to cope with the arival of a deluded space rnager toy, who threatens to upsur him as Andies favourite toy. Woody has to escape the wrath of the toys a he accidently knocks buzz (althought he planned to get rid of him, so andy would take him to pizzz planet) you of the window, Sid a malicious toy destroyer, who takes delieght in blasting toys to bits.

The script is smart and origonal, the music is relivant and touching to the story line, the animation is clean and well cut, the vocie acting is perfect and the charecters as belible as they are lovable. Toy story is simply a movie in it's computer animation genre thats never going to be outdone. Pixar ah made counlesss films which recvieve great praise but none have matched the majesty of the first, althrough nemo and it;s sequals have come close.

Why is this a must see film? Well as mentioned it's simply never going to get outdone, it's that good, in it's genre it's king of the toy box and the sole reason for an etire genres existance. So even if you end up hating it, thnak it for every single CGI you have ever loved or liked, cause if it had been a disaster they simply would not have existed.

The god father

Every single film I have posted so far has defined their genre and changed the world in some way for ever! The godfather is one of those films that just plain done right, to say it defines it's genre is not doign it justice, it defines a whole era of film and rightfully so. The godfather is dark and rather mencing, i mean horses head, people getting killed (remember the fat guy that got strangled?). This film takes the other wise unfilmible and puts it on the big screen in style. Now why would I say unfilimble? Well you see, people getting straggled, the whole mafia thing is going to be hard to pull off. On the one hand you need the realism of what the mafia actually do, on the other hand it's pretty nasty stuff so how do you balance out not freaking out people and making it believable. Well you get a good script good actors, a great and bold director and mush it all together and then you get the god father. Powerful, and gloomy as it is rather intimidating at times. The god father delivers thrills as chills as the life of the mafia is eligently put onto the silver screen. Come on see it, I am sure someone will make you an offer you can't refuse.

Lord of the ring's

The unfilimible book is what Tolken called it and thankfully for movie goers, he was mistaken. Peter KJackson takes us to middle earth in style as he brings the epic best seller onto the big screen. Also one of the few films to be worthy of a place here with int he last decade or so.

Howard shore bring us one of the most memorable scores since Indiana and star wars burst onto our screens, althrough i will suprise you here and tell you it was very last minute. Yes the whole film core was in fact redone by Mr. shore after Jackson was not satisfied with the current one! Howard delivers a very charming tune for our beloved hobbits to the menacign and corrupt wizard sauroman! With every greta film there is a great score and I am sure no one for the most part would disagree that Howard delivers, one of the most meorible scores in recent history,

The special effects are breath taking through most of them are minatures models like lucas used fro star wars with mini figures on them. While New Zeland is the set for many places in middle earth. The majestic country bring majesty to the film as we see breath taking scenery wisely chosen by Jacson for the film.

One of the thing's I have not mentioned so far is costumes, this movie diserve every credit for that as they are abosultly spelendid. From the sinister nazgul in black robes, hobbits of shires garments to gandelfs robes an incredible amount of dtail is put into such thing's and it really shows in the film and with all greta films, every little counts to the finished product and costme desgine is one of the thing's the fellowship gets right.

Just a few extra thing's really to add, we have wonderful acting from Elijah wood and Sir Ian Mackellon, great cinematography, a well made scipt that is reasonibly faithful.

the 10 honorable mentions

Indiana Jones
Back to the future
Ground Hod Day
Shrek
Ghostbusters
Gone with the Wind
Skyfall
Spiderman 2
The dark Knight
Jurassic Park
Old 2013-02-16, 15:47
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsan View Post
the 10 honorable mentions

Ground Hod Day

Spiderman 2
These two kind of surprised me on your list. What do you find especially remarkable about either? That's not criticism, I'm just wondering, because I'm interested to hear what you think.
Old 2013-02-16, 16:32
You Only Live Twice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-J View Post
These two kind of surprised me on your list. What do you find especially remarkable about either? That's not criticism, I'm just wondering, because I'm interested to hear what you think.
I'll start with ground hog day

The thing with ground hog day is its one of those films that have ended up defining something. In this case ground hog day has changed the meaning of the the phrase ground hog day to mean a repetitive event of some kind. All this because how well the film is presented, with a stunning performance from billy Murray

As for spiderman 2 I feel it's a defying film for the modern era and the super hero genre.

As I am on the iPhone I cannot really say much
Old 2013-02-16, 16:36
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
I'll start with ground hog day

The thing with ground hog day is its one of those films that have ended up defining something. In this case ground hog day has changed the meaning of the the phrase ground hog day to mean a repetitive event of some kind. All this because how well the film is presented, with a stunning performance from billy Murray

As for spiderman 2 I feel it's a defying film for the modern era and the super hero genre.

As I am on the iPhone I cannot really say much
I like your interpretation of Groundhog Day with regards to its impact on the cultural lexicon. I hadn't thought of it like that. I do like Murray in that film, although it is not one of my favorite movies of his (I much prefer the aforementioned Ghostbusters, Stripes and Caddyshack).

On Spider-Man 2, I'd be a little more apt to disagree. I do think you're right in that it helped catapult the genre back into relevance. But I think in terms of presenting a film people liked whether or not they were fans, you'd have to give that to Batman Begins. I'm not sure Spider-Man 2 could cross that genre gap.

Of course, this is all subjective, so I'm not saying you're wrong. In fact, the second of the Maguire Spider-Man trilogy is my favorite. I have not seen the new film, but I'm honestly tired of the franchise at this point. I hope DC doesn't follow suit by making the mistake of another Batman film soon.
Old 2013-02-17, 16:07
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Not worth seeing the new spider-man film imho. It had a few nice ideas, but its just not as "fun" as the Rami ones. Also, I hate being told the same story over and over.

Twinsan is spot-on with groundhog day. EVERY science fiction or fantasy tv show has had a groundhog day episode everything from X-files to Xena. They almost always explicitly reference the film too somehow.

Still thinking about mine
Old 2013-02-17, 19:14
Previously Link

Here is my list, in no particular order. There are more than 5 films I would consider must see, some of them I listed in honorable mention, some of them I forgot to mention. I tried to favor films which had a critical or commercial success in my top-5 selection, or those which had an impact on my friends or relatives too.
  • Into the Wild
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Into the Wild is a 2007 American biographical drama film directed by Sean Penn. It is an adaptation of the 1996 non-fiction book of the same name by Jon Krakauer based on the travels of Christopher McCandless across North America and his life spent in the Alaskan wilderness in the early 1990s.

I have noticed two possible reactions to this film: either you identify more or less strongly to Alexander Supertramp (which is my case), or you are revolted by his behavior. It rarely leaves you indifferent. I'm not saying I would do things the way he did, but I certainly have impulses to quit my urban life. I like that this movie reflects on this subject.

Amélie (Original French title: Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain: The Fabulous Destiny of Amélie Poulain) is a 2001 romantic comedy film directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet. Written by Jeunet with Guillaume Laurant, the film is a whimsical depiction of contemporary Parisian life, set in Montmartre. It tells the story of a shy waitress, played by Audrey Tautou, who decides to change the lives of those around her for the better, while struggling with her own isolation. The film was an International co-production between companies in France and Germany.

I must admit I love romantic movies. This one has a perfect mix of idealism, uncanny humor, and aestheticism. And it's particularly relevant to me as a Parisian. It was an emotional shock when I first watched it.

Laputa: Castle in the Sky (天空の城ラピュタ Tenkū no Shiro Rapyuta) (or simply Laputa) (re-titled Castle in the Sky for release in the United States) is a 1986 animated feature film written and directed by Hayao Miyazaki. It is the first film produced and released by Studio Ghibli. The film was distributed by Toei Kabushiki Kaisha. Laputa: Castle in the Sky won the Animage Anime Grand Prix in 1986.

I love Ghibli's movies, particularly this one and Nausicaa. Miyazaki's universe is fantastic. I was not so young when I first watched it, but it directly reached out to the child's heart in me.

Still Life (Chinese: 三峡好人; pinyin: Sānxiá hǎorén; literally "Good people of the Three Gorges") is a 2006 Chinese film directed by Jia Zhangke. Shot in the old village of Fengjie, a small town on the Yangtze River which is slowly being destroyed by the building of the Three Gorges Dam, Still Life tells the story of two people in search of their spouses.

One of the first times I really loved an art film at an emotional level, instead of merely appreciating it. Certainly because it's close to something I experienced in real life. I could really appreciate how the slow pace and aesthetics of the film really serve the message on a deep level. A revelation.

Pulp Fiction is a 1994 American crime film directed by Quentin Tarantino, who co-wrote its screenplay with Roger Avary. The film is known for its eclectic dialogue, ironic mix of humor and violence, nonlinear storyline, and a host of cinematic allusions and pop culture references. The film was nominated for seven Oscars, including Best Picture; Tarantino and Avary won for Best Original Screenplay. It was also awarded the Palme d'Or at the 1994 Cannes Film Festival. A major critical and commercial success, it revitalized the career of its leading man, John Travolta, who received an Academy Award nomination, as did costars Samuel L. Jackson and Uma Thurman.

The narrative just gets me stuck to it! Story-telling hardly gets any better than this. Truly a unique, unequaled film (not even by himself).

Honorable mentions:
Old Joy - Another art film which slowness I saw as a great quality.
Nausicaa - As good a Ghibli as Castle in the Sky.
Aladdin - Disney at its best. Best dubbing ever too. The French translation being less cheesy than the original.
Fantastic Planet - A masterpiece of psychedelic aesthetics.
Lust, Caution - The atmosphere, the confrontation of various Chinese languages and cultures in a nicely reconstituted historical background, the amazing music, just got me addicted to this one.
Anything Else and Manhattan - Woody Allen's neurotic, clumsy, intellectual (snobish?) characters just resonate with me.
A Clockwork Orange - An impacting film. Not sure if I enjoy watching it, but I certainly like the fact that it's impacting.
Star Wars - Hasn't everything been said about this one already?
Trainspotting - Another classic, not gonna comment too much on this.
The Matrix - Unavoidable, at least for a programmer.

There are many more. I'll just stop here.
Old 2013-02-18, 18:15
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link View Post
  • Amélie

I must admit I love romantic movies. This one has a perfect mix of idealism, uncanny humor, and aestheticism. And it's particularly relevant to me as a Parisian. It was an emotional shock when I first watched it.
I hate to criticize this film because everyone I know that has seen it loves it, and I admit that I don't remember it much (I believe I first saw it two years ago). Not finding it memorable may be my criticism. I don't know. I watched it with my (then) girlfriend and found myself kind of 'meh' by the whole thing. Again, I'm thinking I will need to re-watch it again because of the high regards everyone seems to have for it.
Old 2013-02-20, 19:47
Classic

lol, It was the one film I already decided was on my list :P
I think its perfect. Not that its everyones taste, but I don't think it could do anything better without being something else.
I need to think how to express that better though.
Old 2013-02-20, 22:54
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
Amélie is definitely going to be in my list too. (still taking my time)
Old 2013-02-21, 04:39
Magic Ball Master

Yeah, I mean I definitely want to see it again. I always like to give films I don't *get* but receive high acclaim a second shot. I still find Citizen Kane to be insufferable though. I don't think I've managed to stay awake through it once. Gosford Park was another one where people kept telling me it was some transcendental experience. Fell asleep during that one, too.

Amelie though will get a re-watch from me.
Old 2013-02-21, 15:08
Classic

Not a problem if you don't like something considered classic though - I never liked 2001 much, and that gets me kicked out of most sci-fi conversations.
I got bored with Rear Window as well, due mostly to gender role related conversations that went on forever.
Old 2013-02-21, 15:42
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Not a problem if you don't like something considered classic though - I never liked 2001 much, and that gets me kicked out of most sci-fi conversations.
I got bored with Rear Window as well, due mostly to gender role related conversations that went on forever.
Now that's funny you mention Rear Window, because that is probably my favorite Paul Newman film next to Long, Hut Summer and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. I'm also partial to Raymond Burr though, so his cameo as the murderer (do I have to spoiler alert Rear Window? lol) was very nice.

Like you, 2001 never did much for me either.
Old 2013-02-21, 18:22
Previously Link

While watching the first part I thought 2001 was a bit lengthy, but the end is a big surrealistic WTF, and it put the whole film into a different perspective. Now I like that! Makes me want to watch it again.
Old 2013-02-21, 18:29
You Only Live Twice

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link View Post
While watching the first part I thought 2001 was a bit lengthy, but the end is a big surrealistic WTF, and it put the whole film into a different perspective. Now I like that! Makes me want to watch it again.
You talking about lord of the rings?
Old 2013-02-21, 19:38
Polly parrot

No, about 2001 the space oddysey...
Old 2013-02-23, 01:14
this's longer than allowe

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Avatar? It was awesome!
Old 2013-02-23, 01:21
You Only Live Twice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carajo View Post
Why hasn't anyone mentioned Avatar? It was awesome!
Your kidding right? Highest grossing film in history dose not equal best, nor is it really that great, it's eye candy with very little substance.
Old 2013-02-23, 05:24

Quote:
Your kidding right? Highest grossing film in history dose not equal best, nor is it really that great, it's eye candy with very little substance.
Twinsan pls
Old 2013-02-23, 11:15
Polly parrot

Quote:
Hehe, that's exacly my opinion about the Lord of the Rings series

As for Avatar, I like only it's first half, very beautifully done, they should've kept it as a documentary-like. Unfortunately in the second half, out of nowhere and completely contradicting himself Jake Sully decides that they need to fight, thus sending the complete race to extinction.
Because what do you think will happen when humans get back to earth ? "What the **** ?! We lost enough money in this, so go back right now, use any necessary means and bring back that mineral, else you're fired !!!"

I'm sure most of you have guessed, but the story told in this movie is very similar the Indian's one. They also gathered every clan to fight the whites in the great battle of Little Big A̶d̶v̶e̶n̶t̶u̶r̶e̶ Horn, which they won. And were wiped-out afterwards.
Old 2013-02-23, 16:32
Classic

Avatar is a fine film - its not brilliant or bad. It was over hyped then under-received. Its a rather template story - but so are a lot of films.
I was just glade to have a alien planet that wasn't just a desert or ice, some effort put into the designs (other then the shiny rhino), and a protagonist that liked being in a new body - a protagonist that enjoyed themselves rather then being all angsty.

I also liked there was a down to earth logical mechanism for the "Gaia planet". Lots of sci-fis just chuck stupid telepathy ideas about - a physical planetary nerva system is far cooler.

That said; John Carter was far far better and even more underrated. Mostly down to horrible trailers and botched marketing.
Old 2013-02-23, 17:29
Magic Ball Master

I really enjoyed Avatar and as I've said elsewhere around here, I went to see it on a whim and thus didn't have any real expectations for it. It's a good film, like DF says. I don't think it was mind shattering although it was an overall great experience and one hell of an audio track to put my surround system through its paces.
Old 2013-02-23, 19:43

So Twinsan didn't watch it.

Spoiler:

On a serious note though. I went to see avatar when it first came out and it was love at first sight.

Polaris you're right, it's the typical behavior humans have when encountering different civilizations, specially when a valued mineral, in this case, is involved. But what called my attention was that, this time, the story was not centered or biased towards the "US Side" of the picture, but showed what the other side of the picture felt, thought, etc. What most of the people fail to understand (in the movie of course).

And I was enchanted by the beautiful colors... Wanted to go live there so badly

DF, I haven't watched John Carter yet.

Tags
films, movies