Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

View Poll Results: Which NextGen console do you plan to buy, or would be interested in buying?
Sony Playstation 3 12 30.77%
Microsoft X-Box 360 (X-Box 2) 5 12.82%
Nintendo Revolution 13 33.33%
Infinium Labs Phantom (Hoax or Not?) 0 0%
I don't plan on buying a next generation console 16 41.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2005-05-03, 19:36
Magic Ball Master

NextGen Consoles

Wanted to get some input on the nextGen consoles and what people think. Personally, I'm pumped about the PS3, although I'm pretty bummed after hearing the base price on these nextGens will be at least $500 USD. Grr...oh well. My PS2 should be able to last a few more years. 1up.com seems to have the best coverage as to the differences between them all. Also, I see IGN now has a site for PS3 (ps3.ign.com), so it looks as though the transition has begun.

Just wanted to see what y'all think, and post a poll.
Old 2005-05-03, 20:20
Magic Ball Master

I'm planning on getting the Revolution, because I like my Nintendo games. As for PS3 and the new Xbox, I'm gonna wait for the games to see which I'll get, if either. Hopefully there won't be must-have games on all three.
Old 2005-05-03, 20:21
Still in a dream...

PS3 and maybe a Xbox. Not too sure which one Ill invest in. I'll buy about 2 years into the release though.
Old 2005-05-03, 20:22
master of electronica

I'll be getting both the PS3 and the Revolution.

Xbox doesn't interest me for this generation, and it never did.

I have high hopes for the Sony machine; hopefully their earnings will be spent wisely on a truley powerful console. Or something.
Old 2005-05-03, 20:22
Magic Ball Master

Go on, guess.
Old 2005-05-03, 20:24
Tomorrow burns!

Send a message via MSN to Illumina
Playstation 3 for me. I reckon there'll be Half-life 2 for it.
Old 2005-05-03, 20:27
Idot

Send a message via ICQ to Aule
Im a comp man myself, they are just so lovley :F
Old 2005-05-03, 20:33
Do the evolution.

I HATE consoles...
And as always, the PS1 chased the pc after a few years, then the PC outruned it after like two months, then they released the PS2 which was old compared to a PC and was chased away by the PC almost instantly, it's going to be like this with every console. And besides, you can invest in your PC at any time, and with a console, well, you have to wait a few long years for a newer version... And of course the PC is totally in your power, while a console is just a console...
Old 2005-05-03, 20:48
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
I won't have time to game when i'm in the army, so, none.

I'm not even sure i will continue gaming at all since after army it's university, and i'm more into movies and books lately anyway. But we'll see.
Old 2005-05-03, 21:06
master of electronica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasiek
I HATE consoles...
And as always, the PS1 chased the pc after a few years, then the PC outruned it after like two months, then they released the PS2 which was old compared to a PC and was chased away by the PC almost instantly, it's going to be like this with every console. And besides, you can invest in your PC at any time, and with a console, well, you have to wait a few long years for a newer version... And of course the PC is totally in your power, while a console is just a console...
PCs are assholes that break on you, crash, and are out of date within a few months of purchase. Games companies program in a very lazy way on them, with stupidly high system requirements.
Old 2005-05-03, 21:12
Do the evolution.

Hmm, well, your right about the game companies, but I won't agree with you on the rest. This metal baby just needs some love My pc never brakes or crashes and, sure it may be out of date, but all I need to stay on the track is to buy at least one part every four, five months and that's all. Some maintanence and cleaning inside and system reinstalling from time to time and it works all the time, mine works 16 hours a day and it already has 3 years.
Old 2005-05-03, 21:40
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Phatom isnt a hoax, its just a long-shot project.
Much like the Gizmondo...but not even as successfull as that.
Likely to be a tv media center thingy at some point.

Revolution all the way.
Not that it will be a revolution, but it will be something different, and thats all that counts to me.

Graphics and CPU power is now a dead-end...developers dont have time to exploit the current gen fully...it takes too much manpower to do detailed models and textures.
The most we can hope for is better lighting and effects.
So Sony hypeing the PS3 on power again? blah.
They might be able to get away with it this time, but this really is the very last generation power alone can be boasted about.
PS4 will flop unless Sony starts to put effort into IMPROVEING THEIR BLOODLY CONTROLLERS
Interfaces are the way to go primarly, then maybe physics.

Microsoft at least are trying lots of interesting ideas with Xbox live2...which I strongly approve off.
But
a) Xbox360 is a stupid name and
b) If the leaked pictures are true it has memory cards
I hope NO next gen console has memory cards....SD Cards, Compact Flash makes far more sense.
Even the expensive Memory sticks for sony would be better.

Quote:
Games companies program in a very lazy way on them, with stupidly high system requirements.
Indeed.
Factor in that PC game developers have to put a lot more resources into codeing for numberious system configerations, means they can never fully exploit the hardware.
A console with the exact same specs as a PC will *grossly* out-beat it in terms of visuals and effects for almost all its games.
You just cant directly compare specs.

The Xbox2 has 3 times 3ghz chips released this year.
Both Sonys and Nintendos machine are likely to be more powerfull then that (released next year).
The days are gone where you can say "PCs ownz Consoles because they are more powerfull".
Old 2005-05-03, 21:43
Look beyond reality.

I totaly agree on you, Jasiek.

Though one point isn't said yet. With some friends, you could go sit on a nice couch.. Turn on the nice big TV.. Talk nice with you nice friends.. And then party on the console! Like racing or stuff. It give some kind of feeling just to sit there with 4 or more people, all with a controller, and play a game.
It's very hard to play with like 4 or more persons on 1 pc, and you have to start your pc, blablabla.

Shortly said: Console is quicker to just play a game. It doesn't need to startup very long. It's easy in use. Smaller. Prettier. And the graphics aren't really that bad at all.

Though I prefer a PC above all computers, I have a Gamecube
Old 2005-05-03, 22:08
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame

PS4 will flop unless Sony starts to put effort into IMPROVEING THEIR BLOODLY CONTROLLERS

I hope NO next gen console has memory cards....SD Cards, Compact Flash makes far more sense.
Even the expensive Memory sticks for sony would be better.
I disagree about the controllers. The Playstation DualShock 2 is by far the best controller on the market, hands down. Although it doesn't have wireless capabilities (which they will on the PS3), the dualshock is, as others have described, the perfect "neutral" controller. The GCN/Wavebird is good for games like Metroid, but horrid for sports games. The X-Box controller I couldn't get used to, but it wasn't terrible overall. I still say that Sony's is the best, and I expect many to agree.

As far as the memory cards, I wholeheartedly agree with you. While hard drives would be kicky (I wonder if a console with USB support could somehow be compatible with an external USB hard drive?), it would drive costs up too much. The compact flash would be ideal, though if it's anything like cameras, they will be rather expensive, eh? I know a 128 MB cf card for my Canon Powershot cost about $60 USD.
Old 2005-05-03, 22:26
Do the evolution.

Bot, well, I may be stubborn and old fashioned, but I just really don't like consoles, it's too easy for me, just turn it on and it works - that's weird and scarry
And I prefer single player, or multi over the net, and you know, a PC has so much more power, it's just the F*****g windows that drains the half of it... And I've got used to windows so much that I'm flashing blue screens on my eyes everytime I'm ill... that's also very scarry and disturbing
Old 2005-05-03, 22:38
formerly just angry

Revolution definitely...as if you needed to ask
Old 2005-05-04, 05:51
Magic Ball Master

Does anyone else think that ATI being involved with both Nintendo and Microsoft hints at some sort of eventual collusion between the two down the line? Also, I think it will hurt the 360 and greatly help the PS3 that Sony's console will have the latest release date.
Old 2005-05-04, 12:32
Idot

Send a message via ICQ to Aule
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakin
I won't have time to game when i'm in the army
HAHA, analking is going to the army, how lovely, dont forget your gunblade :F

Last edited by Aule; 2005-05-04 at 22:38.
Old 2005-05-04, 16:37
thegnarlypanda

Send a message via AIM to hobmoblin
Xbox, I got it the day it came out (the original Xbox not the new one), so I will probably do the same with this one, and DF it can use a HDD as well. I will get the Nintendo Revolution eventually and my brother will get the PS3 unless he agrees with me about the PS2. I am still awaiting the dreamcast 2
Old 2005-05-04, 17:08
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
The HD is optional, yes...but that dosnt excuse useing memory cards.
Memory Cards should be DEAD DEAD DEAD.
They are pointless.

I got a 512MB Compact Flash card for £30, yet all the console companys seem to want to sale us 4-16MB completely incompatible cards for £20...it dosnt make sense!

Quote:
The GCN/Wavebird is good for games like Metroid, but horrid for sports games.
Can you explain the logic of this?
My logic is simple its more ergonomic, and I personaly think two analogue/digital hybred sholder buttons are better then 4 digital shoulder buttons. Also Sony are the only company to not support 4 player games on one machine. How much does a controll port costs? pennys!
Of course, theres a multi-tap...but because its not built in, its not nearly as well supported.

The only bad thing about the GC pad is the Z-buton, its a bit pointlessly placed and isnt needed at all, imo.

I dont play sports games, so I cant see the dissadvantages.
Old 2005-05-04, 17:17
Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-J
Does anyone else think that ATI being involved with both Nintendo and Microsoft hints at some sort of eventual collusion between the two down the line? Also, I think it will hurt the 360 and greatly help the PS3 that Sony's console will have the latest release date.
Dont think so...ATI has long been involved with Nintendos machines.
However...360...Revolution....360 is a ?

I agree, the Xbox2 is comeing too soon.
Its kicking Xbox1 owners in the teath really, especialy with non-backwards compatability.
Still, Microsoft are loseing so much this gen, I cant blame them for wanting to start the next one early.
Old 2005-05-04, 21:30
Little Bastard Warrior.

Well N5, duh! But I can't deny that the PS3 tempts, simply because of MGS4. But of course, I'm just gonna wait until my brother looses his patience and buys the PS3 because of a new GTA game (a most excellent plan master!).

Hmmm. I just read the old interviews on IGN. No, the Revolution won't be a revolution. It's just the code-name. In fact, nintendo never did anything but call it that and say it will be innovative, plus we should compare it to the DS. Kinda dissapoints me, I had hyped it up in my head. Oh well, since there are no battery issues, nothing should really stop them from making a console that's just as powerful as the PS3/X2 but more innovative.
Old 2005-05-05, 08:19
The Asian

Send a message via ICQ to Blissful Send a message via AIM to Blissful
Though I'm not really a huge console-type person, I think I'll stay loyal to Nintendo.

Minako says:
I'm your bitch.
Old 2005-05-05, 13:45
Classic

I suspect Revolution is a play on words, actualy....

Quote:
Oh well, since there are no battery issues, nothing should really stop them from making a console that's just as powerful as the PS3/X2 but more innovative.
Given the huge difference in release dates, its likely to be better speced then the Xbox2 simply because componant prices fall quickly.

Not that it maters, the graphics will all look pretty much the same next-gen.
Old 2005-05-05, 13:53
formerly just angry

I reckon Nintendo have some great specs in the closest its just that they want people to focus on function not power right now. I'm a little concerned however that wireless controllers will need tons of batteries to play for a long time...I'm not big on non-rechargeable batteries!