Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 2022-09-27, 14:04
Neko's Avatar
Neko Neko is offline
Neko
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 8,919
does twinsen have a personality?

especially in lba1 I even wonder. He doesn't talk alot.
In Lba 2 he is a 'nice guy hero with no ego' - sort of.

Shouldn't the character be more fleshed out? or not? What I like in lba1 is that by lacking any sort of character, you can project your own into it.

how should he be in lba 3?
or sorry, the reb00t
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 2022-09-27, 15:16
SpaceGuitarist's Avatar
SpaceGuitarist SpaceGuitarist is offline
Refrão* (ligar overdrive)
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Away...
Posts: 7,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko View Post
or sorry, the reb00t
Spoiler:
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 2022-09-27, 16:49
Neko's Avatar
Neko Neko is offline
Neko
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 8,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
Spoiler:
there is a 1% chance of making it very, very great, and 99% for making it very very bad.

looking at the concept art so far and the name, we're heading for a disaster.

only rememdy is if they ask me to be an outside consultant
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 2022-09-27, 16:59
SpaceGuitarist's Avatar
SpaceGuitarist SpaceGuitarist is offline
Refrão* (ligar overdrive)
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Away...
Posts: 7,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko View Post
there is a 1% chance of making it very, very great, and 99% for making it very very bad.

looking at the concept art so far and the name, we're heading for a disaster.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko View Post
only rememdy is if they ask me to be an outside consultant
Oh, no, that would make it a complete disaster. (j/k)
__________________
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 2022-09-27, 17:01
SpaceGuitarist's Avatar
SpaceGuitarist SpaceGuitarist is offline
Refrão* (ligar overdrive)
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Away...
Posts: 7,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko View Post
especially in lba1 I even wonder. He doesn't talk alot.
In Lba 2 he is a 'nice guy hero with no ego' - sort of.

Shouldn't the character be more fleshed out? or not? What I like in lba1 is that by lacking any sort of character, you can project your own into it.

how should he be in lba 3?
or sorry, the reb00t
On topic: compared to most games, Twinsen has LOTS of personality.
I mean, you even get to know his wife. And with LBA3, his kids. You know about his heritage, ancestors and whatnot. All that adds up to who he is.

Again, compared to most games (especially 2D platformers etc), where you know NOTHING about the main character except his name and how he looks, LBA is very sophisticated on this. If not for Twinsen's persona, most of the storytelling would be lacking.
__________________
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 2022-09-27, 17:26
Neko's Avatar
Neko Neko is offline
Neko
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 8,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
On topic: compared to most games, Twinsen has LOTS of personality.
I mean, you even get to know his wife. And with LBA3, his kids. You know about his heritage, ancestors and whatnot. All that adds up to who he is.

Again, compared to most games (especially 2D platformers etc), where you know NOTHING about the main character except his name and how he looks, LBA is very sophisticated on this. If not for Twinsen's persona, most of the storytelling would be lacking.
maybe, I wouldn't know for current games. I suppose there's lots of storytelling nowadays. Even lba2 added a lot to twinsen, which kinda made him a bit of a goofball, but all in all i guess you are right up to the point where I played games.

I mean, link from a link to the past had absolutely no character. Twinsen has that tiny bit to it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 2022-09-27, 17:33
Neko's Avatar
Neko Neko is offline
Neko
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 8,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
Agreed.


Oh, no, that would make it a complete disaster. (j/k)
I dunno? Here's what I would do:

1. no realistic graphics, but very hd graphics in the style of the ingame movies. Twinsen isn't a realistic humanoid, and it needs to stay that way.

2. controls updated, but skills aquired from the first two games should still give you the edge somehow. Meaning, it needs to feel at home while still being up to todays standard.

3. original voice actors if at all possible, but better performance for twinsen, especially lba 1. I hope the rabbibunny of lba 1 returns, as he was sorely missed in 2.

4. same story, but larger islands, more people, more side missions. So that town in principal island really is large.

5. same-ish color scheme for lba1, it's supposed to be dark, people are oppressed, but it's still that cute cartoony game. Oh yeah also day and night transitions would be cool.

6. the hamalayi raid should be huge, with actual snow, more rebels joining the fight.

7. music either the same, or ask mister Vachey to do a very true to the original remaster, with only slightly updated samples. only approved if roy also think it's ok.


for lba2:
well....there's hardly anything to do to this game, it's already perfect!

or...maybe....include the other islands just for eye candy, and have lots of conversations and side missions.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 2022-09-27, 17:49
SpaceGuitarist's Avatar
SpaceGuitarist SpaceGuitarist is offline
Refrão* (ligar overdrive)
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Away...
Posts: 7,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko View Post
only approved if roy also think it's ok.
Very well, in this case, I agree!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 2022-09-27, 17:51
SpaceGuitarist's Avatar
SpaceGuitarist SpaceGuitarist is offline
Refrão* (ligar overdrive)
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Away...
Posts: 7,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko View Post
maybe, I wouldn't know for current games. I suppose there's lots of storytelling nowadays. Even lba2 added a lot to twinsen, which kinda made him a bit of a goofball, but all in all i guess you are right up to the point where I played games.

I mean, link from a link to the past had absolutely no character. Twinsen has that tiny bit to it.
I'm the same as you. I haven't really played games after my childhood/teen years. From 2010+ my experience is very limited, just observed and tried some things here and there, but nothing like waking up in the morning and going to sleep having spent all day in the PC trying games like before.
__________________
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 2022-09-27, 18:46
bloodhound bloodhound is offline
Magic Level: Fire Ball
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Germany/Schleswig-Holstein
Posts: 339
I don't think Twinsen has much of a personality. The things SpaceGuitarist I'd put under "background story", not personality, as I don't see what influence Zoé had on his character.

Could you guys expand on why the name change and the concept art spell disaster for the reboot? If the name change can appease investors about the distinctiveness of the brand, and 2.21 can raise more money, wouldn't that make the reboot better? I know that the concept artist missed that Zoé has a baby belly and I think then 2.21 just put the "Twinsen's Little Big Adventure" text over it so that people don't notice. Is that bad? While I don't agree with every decision they made, I like that they make bold decisions like releasing the old source code.

As for the suggestions for the reboot, I wouldn't mind if it has less content than the original game, if everything is well-polished and bug-free.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 2022-09-27, 19:18
SpaceGuitarist's Avatar
SpaceGuitarist SpaceGuitarist is offline
Refrão* (ligar overdrive)
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Away...
Posts: 7,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodhound View Post
The things SpaceGuitarist I'd put under "background story", not personality, as I don't see what influence Zoé had on his character.
Assuming you are a male, so you are saying that every girlfriend/wife in your life you ever had, had absolutely no impact in who you are or who you became? lol.
__________________
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 2022-09-27, 22:25
Neko's Avatar
Neko Neko is offline
Neko
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 8,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodhound View Post
I don't think Twinsen has much of a personality. The things SpaceGuitarist I'd put under "background story", not personality, as I don't see what influence Zoé had on his character.

Could you guys expand on why the name change and the concept art spell disaster for the reboot? If the name change can appease investors about the distinctiveness of the brand, and 2.21 can raise more money, wouldn't that make the reboot better? I know that the concept artist missed that Zoé has a baby belly and I think then 2.21 just put the "Twinsen's Little Big Adventure" text over it so that people don't notice. Is that bad? While I don't agree with every decision they made, I like that they make bold decisions like releasing the old source code.

As for the suggestions for the reboot, I wouldn't mind if it has less content than the original game, if everything is well-polished and bug-free.
see attachment, if this is lba, oh excuse me, tlbacctlba, then consider me out
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lba.JPG‎
Views:	25
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	10401  
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 2022-09-27, 22:55
SpaceGuitarist's Avatar
SpaceGuitarist SpaceGuitarist is offline
Refrão* (ligar overdrive)
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Away...
Posts: 7,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko View Post
see attachment, if this is lba, oh excuse me, tlbacctlba, then consider me out
* PUKES HARDER *

ugh

just

UGGH.

I'm out as well.
As usual following the new trends of progressism, the female is empowered and the male an useless wimp.

*finishes puking*
__________________
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 2022-09-27, 22:58
SpaceGuitarist's Avatar
SpaceGuitarist SpaceGuitarist is offline
Refrão* (ligar overdrive)
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Away...
Posts: 7,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko View Post
see attachment, if this is lba, oh excuse me, tlbacctlba, then consider me out
At least this is on par with the disappointment of the LBA Symphonic Suite thing that came out. Gotta give them points for being consistent.
__________________
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 2022-09-27, 23:55
Neko's Avatar
Neko Neko is offline
Neko
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 8,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
At least this is on par with the disappointment of the LBA Symphonic Suite thing that came out. Gotta give them points for being consistent.
Well thats a bit unfair, he tried very hard but failed to truly capture us and blow us away.

This poster is just blegh
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 2022-09-28, 03:06
SpaceGuitarist's Avatar
SpaceGuitarist SpaceGuitarist is offline
Refrão* (ligar overdrive)
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Away...
Posts: 7,556
Remember these words:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko View Post
he tried very hard but failed to truly capture us and blow us away.
These precise words are what we're going to say when tlbacctlba come out.
__________________
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 2022-09-28, 04:47
Polaris's Avatar
Polaris Polaris is offline
Magic Level: Water Ball
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tippett Island
Posts: 6,081
I've never really liked the hero personality Twinsen took up in LA2.
In LBA1, maybe it's only the French voice actor, but Twinsen just sounds like he discovers his own planet with curiosity and wide-open eyes. I always could project nicely on that.
For example, I love when he just says "Hello horse" when going up to a horse (even before having the book of Bù).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
Spoiler:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko View Post
2. controls updated, but skills aquired from the first two games should still give you the edge somehow. Meaning, it needs to feel at home while still being up to todays standard.

3. [...] I hope the rabbibunny of lba 1 returns, as he was sorely missed in 2.


for lba2:
well....there's hardly anything to do to this game, it's already perfect!

or...maybe....include the other islands just for eye candy, and have lots of conversations and side missions.
2. That's an interesting idea, wonder how it could be done...
3. Which rabbibunny ?

LBA2 : Pipetrick and Saphire moon !

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
* PUKES HARDER *

ugh

just

UGGH.
You didn't see that concept art before ?

Also, I would ask what kind of day-night cycle you'd want with two suns Neko, but I still remember Darkflame's test animations (still don't understand how that works btw).
__________________
<((((((((((((([[[========================]]])))))))))))))>
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 2022-09-28, 07:07
SpaceGuitarist's Avatar
SpaceGuitarist SpaceGuitarist is offline
Refrão* (ligar overdrive)
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Away...
Posts: 7,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
You didn't see that concept art before ?
Thankfully, no.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 2022-09-28, 09:18
Neko's Avatar
Neko Neko is offline
Neko
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 8,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
Thankfully, no.
Ah poor you

Twinsen will be a kid in tlbacctlba if i look at that art
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 2022-09-28, 13:38
Polaris's Avatar
Polaris Polaris is offline
Magic Level: Water Ball
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tippett Island
Posts: 6,081


We've grown older, haven't we
__________________
<((((((((((((([[[========================]]])))))))))))))>
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 2022-09-28, 14:14
Neko's Avatar
Neko Neko is offline
Neko
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 8,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post


We've grown older, haven't we
old grumpy men?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 2022-09-28, 14:33
Polaris's Avatar
Polaris Polaris is offline
Magic Level: Water Ball
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tippett Island
Posts: 6,081
Basically. But as someone partly parisian, I'd say I like it.
__________________
<((((((((((((([[[========================]]])))))))))))))>
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 2022-09-28, 15:14
SpaceGuitarist's Avatar
SpaceGuitarist SpaceGuitarist is offline
Refrão* (ligar overdrive)
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Away...
Posts: 7,556
I am not being an old grumpy man.

These changes are like taking old masterpieces and fu**ing them up.

It's like drawing moustaches over Mona Lisa. Or recreate it in Photoshop, but instead you dye her hair purple and make it short.

Why not put arms in Venus de Milo and a bigger buttocks?

__________________
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 2022-09-28, 16:02
Neko's Avatar
Neko Neko is offline
Neko
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 8,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
I've never really liked the hero personality Twinsen took up in LA2.
In LBA1, maybe it's only the French voice actor, but Twinsen just sounds like he discovers his own planet with curiosity and wide-open eyes. I always could project nicely on that.
For example, I love when he just says "Hello horse" when going up to a horse (even before having the book of Bù).






2. That's an interesting idea, wonder how it could be done...
3. Which rabbibunny ?

LBA2 : Pipetrick and Saphire moon !


You didn't see that concept art before ?

Also, I would ask what kind of day-night cycle you'd want with two suns Neko, but I still remember Darkflame's test animations (still don't understand how that works btw).
lba1s rabbybunny voice.

a new moon would be cool haha.

so at twinsun, there is no night?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 2022-09-28, 16:48
SpaceGuitarist's Avatar
SpaceGuitarist SpaceGuitarist is offline
Refrão* (ligar overdrive)
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Away...
Posts: 7,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko View Post
so at twinsun, there is no night?
Well, they do have an astronomer, and you cannot see stars during daylight... so.
__________________
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Personality Type Mannesh Off topic 33 2007-06-10 18:00


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:47.


News Feed
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, the Magicball Network