Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > LBA Modifications > LBA Modifications - General
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 2007-06-04, 18:12
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
Question How to find patterns in file formats?!

that's what I thought thanks and also, alexfont, when u want to hack a file format like yaz0r did in his model viewer, what tools do u need ? cause I really wanna have a go at it even if I do lack the knowledge
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2007-06-04, 18:13
Magic Ball Master

Hex Editor

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2007-06-04, 18:14
Twinsunian Quetch

just that ? thanks
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2007-06-04, 18:49
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetch View Post
just that ? thanks
Use WinHex. It is a very great tool for all kinds of hacking.

Try to find similarities and differences in different files. WinHex has a great function for that, it is called synchronize and compare.

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2007-06-04, 18:57
Magic Ball Master

I use Hex Workshop and its very good.

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.

Old 2007-06-04, 19:09
Twinsunian Quetch

thanks guys !!! btw : what method of approach do u reccomend ? I mean I've never made a thing like this before BUT it bugs me to see that Twinsen is just 8kb in size so any tips for a n00b ?
Old 2007-06-04, 19:11
Magic Ball Master

Nahh... don't start with such difficult thing without knowing how it should work.

Try to find something easy, you can start with HQR files for example.

Old 2007-06-05, 15:10
Magic Ball Master

Look at the colors and try to find the appropriate byte from the palette. Try to find patterns, it's logical that every 3d images has points forming shapes, how big are they? How big is an almost empty image?

But alexfont has given the honest and a good reply, start with something easier might be better, but you know best of what you know.

(image by leoboe! )

Old 2007-06-05, 16:28
Twinsunian Quetch

thanks guys I'll try and see if I can first manage an empty .txt then a very short .txt , then a rar file and so on
Old 2007-06-05, 16:44
Magic Ball Master

I think rar is more advanced than LBA2 3d files.

I strongly recommend looking and try to almost completely understand the .bmp file format, it's not to hard .

alexfont or other mod, can you move the Quetch hacking discussion to separate thread?

(image by leoboe! )

Old 2007-06-05, 16:47
Twinsunian Quetch

yup, you could do that mods

also, LBAWinOwns or alexfont : one question ... I have for example the body001.ldc file ... now what exactly is it stored in here ? cause I can't seem to figure out the difference between ENTITY and BODY ... are they in the same file ???
Old 2007-06-05, 18:21
Magic Ball Master

Thats exactly why you should start with less complicated things

Entity (hope you mean File3D entities) are the content of each character. This include lots of things, for example, various bodies (they could use different clothes), various animations, and also it have each character actions (I mean, sound at walk, throw things etc).
The body, like the file you name, its only the 3D model.

First thing we should always do before trying to discover something, its to get a good idea of how the things work. In this case, the game.

Old 2007-06-05, 18:40
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
First thing we should always do before trying to discover something, its to get a good idea of how the things work. In this case, the game.
Priceless comment. Also you can edit some things in the file, then see what the game shows. You might notice that you just edited something you can see!

(image by leoboe! )

Old 2007-06-05, 20:03
Twinsunian Quetch

hmm 45% of the cases, I don't see a difference ... 45% of the cases, the game crashes ... 10% of the cases, I see some weird stuff
Old 2007-06-05, 21:49
Master of Degree

Then change one byte only. If you don't see any difference, change another one (but undo the previous changes first). And when you see something weird, you will have to guess the connection between the byte you changed, and the things you see. If you can't think of anything reasonable, try with another byte. When you know for sure what a byte really does, return to previous bytes, and try again with them. Don;t worry if you don't know what a particular byte is for. Maybe it has meaning only in some cases, that you didn't tried (for example only for specific rooms, or actions). Maybe you will discover it later, and maybe someone else will do it, but something is more than nothing.

All LBA technical information goes in here -> LBA File Information Project

LBA Prequel Demo has been released! See our blog
Old 2007-06-05, 22:39
Twinsunian Quetch

thanks zink anyway changing 7786 values seems
Old 2007-06-05, 23:20
Magic Ball Master

You wouldn't change all that values, if you change something should do at the file header or something and see what happens, anyway you also can see things by their own values and not editing them, but keep trying and try to find something.

Old 2007-06-06, 13:31
Twinsunian Quetch

u know I'd really like to see one of you guys in action to see how the pros do it I mean to see how do you manage to see things in the unknown

Last edited by Quetch; 2007-06-06 at 13:50.
Old 2007-06-06, 18:29
Magic Ball Master

Well, only with practice you start seeing things there, but at first isn't easy.

This weekend I manage to found the entire format of the graphic elements (image, fonts, sprites, sprite animations,etc..) of the game Sanitarium (another game I like a lot which I'm also making some tools). It was not difficult to get, but also not so easy, there's still things there that I'm guessing what they do at the moment, but most of it I now have sure. Anyway, what help me find that format was because all the things I learn with the LBA formats specially the image formats and such, and also because in some cases I like to make some little programs to read the files and try to see what I discover.

For example for this same game, the Resource files are much more simple to get comparing with LBA HQ Resources (No compression), and its format had a good pattern to follow. In the image cases, it was the opposite, much more difficult to get but still the main concept of the LBA images I learn was there inside. Now the other step I want to take in this game is to actual find the format of the scene files which will be kind difficult but should have or not little things equal to LBA scene files.

So, I think you're getting how the stuffs seams to work...