Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > LBA Modifications > LBA Modifications - General
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 2007-05-29, 15:15
First time poster

Wink Little Big Toolkit (LBT)

Hello. I have been browsing the website (and occasionally the forum) for a long time now, But have never registered (to be honest, I find the forum is to small for me). However, I have came up with an idea and just had to post it on the MBN! Little Big Toolkit will be (no, this project is not going to fall apart after the first few days, it WILL be created) a program that combines all previous LBA Programs. Just look at this list, this is what I plan it to be able to do:
  • View and edit rooms from LBA1 and LBA2, and islands from LBA1
  • View and change textures
  • Change the end-of-game credits
  • Modify the fonts and text used in the games
  • See the characters and their different stances/movements used throughout the games
  • Browse the contents of HQR package files
  • Replace the contents of HQR package files with your own stuff
  • Edit saved games to different locations with different items
  • Extract movies and images from the games
  • Include the LBA1 and LBA2 patches, so that problems can be fixed at the click of a button.
All of those above have been done before in seperate programs, and if we could somehow link them into one program (Little Big Toolkit) then if you really wanted to, you could completely re-create LBA1 with modern graphics, different characters, new areas... and you could atleast highly modify LBA2.

Anyway, I will edit this soon with more info - in the meantime, please post your comments and ideas... and also, if you are interested in helping
Old 2007-05-29, 15:23
weee

Welcome!

MBN is too small? If you say so...

I'm not sure how useful that would be, considering we have this wonderful thread to link all programs together. But nice idea!
I think Yaz0r once planned to do the same. (he called his project "TwinE Studio" I think) But I don't think he made a progress in it.

By the way, this thread belongs to the LBA Modifications forum.
Old 2007-05-29, 15:24
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
and just how do you plan on doing all these ?
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2007-05-29, 15:25
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
Welcome!

MBN is too small? If you say so...

I'm not sure how useful that would be, considering we have this wonderful thread to link all programs together. But nice idea!
I think Yaz0r once planned to do the same. (he called his project "TwinE Studio" I think) But I don't think he made a progress in it.

By the way, this thread belongs to the LBA Modifications forum.
Aren't you a mod in here and there? What about moving?
Old 2007-05-29, 15:28
weee

I'm not sure I remember why I am a mod here... so I'm playing it safe
Old 2007-05-29, 15:49
Magic level: Ice Ball

Send a message via MSN to morshem
Because Darkflame was too lazy removing your modding powers, and El was too rush... or something... Should I do it?

By the way, CF- check your private messages in the Hebrew forums already! [/off-topic]
Old 2007-05-29, 16:01
Master of Science & Magic

ChaosFish is mod of both the Fan Creation forums and the "LBA Modifications forum" (he has always been mod of that forum)
Old 2007-05-29, 16:18
Magic Ball Master

LBToolkit, don't see any point by doing a Little Big Toolkit the way you want.
1. Will be a bunch of work even with all the sources we currently have. (you can see from the history how much time we all take to do the things)
2. You will need much time to convert the codes from C/C++/Delphi/VB to the language you want.
3. We already have some programs working together each others which somehow made what you're thinking.

Anyway, if the idea was to do something like they original have, like the tool Visu3D, it will require not only to have those tools together but the engine attached to this kit so we can make the changes in run-time.

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2007-05-29, 20:09
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
Bad idea, no one really needs such a confusing program. The idea would be better if it was targeted to bind associated things up and make modding cleaner.

A more helpful program would be, a program that can completely edit a scene, not just bricks, would be nice. Alexfont and Zink has made their programs able to communicate with each other, but if someone made it all in one program that would be better in almost every way, I think.

Come to think about it, does LBArchitect+LBASC allow graphical editing of sprites? Such as the mushrooms turning into life or magic when you walk on them.

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2007-05-29, 21:01
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
A more helpful program would be, a program that can completely edit a scene, not just bricks, would be nice. Alexfont and Zink has made their programs able to communicate with each other, but if someone made it all in one program that would be better in almost every way, I think.
Me and Zink already thought about that, I also wanted to include my code into LBArchitech but this will make me redone all my code to be used in Zink's program in a easy and simply way, thing that isn't good because the time we can spend on this we could improve our programs separately.

Quote:
Come to think about it, does LBArchitect+LBASC allow graphical editing of sprites? Such as the mushrooms turning into life or magic when you walk on them.
This are script coding, not graphical editing. Actually you have a mushroom actor in the place you want in the scene and you just say what kind bonus type it should give you when you hit it. The hit is coded in the script to kill the actor when Twinsen collide with it.

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.

Old 2007-05-29, 23:48
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
hmmm... I think I just found something to waste my summer with

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2007-05-30, 00:06
Magic Ball Master

Its pretty cool actually. Isn't easy at first but its nice to change all this things and create ours. Btw, part of the script help is already done and will be available in the next release ( don't know when ) so it will be good to you to learn better the things.

Old 2007-05-31, 14:26
Master of Degree

LBToolkit, don't waste your energy for making something that has already been almost done. Yes, as a separate programs, not as one, but believe me, it's better this way. If you want to change something in the game - you download appropriate program, without the whole bunch of other programs you don't need. And how do you imagine managing all of these different kinds of files? In Architect I have to deal with about 5 different kinds of files, and I already have a lot of problems with that. What if it will be like 25 kinds of files?

Instead of that maybe great, but completely unnecessary thing, you could work on something that we don't know/can't edit yet. For example: sprite animations, character information file, model editing, LBA 2 3D islands editing, and so on. If you feel good in researching, you could try to recognize what LBA files are for (the ones that are not known yet), and what are their formats. The new LBA File Information website will be launched in a couple of days, and you will be able to see what files are already known, and what are not.

Anyway, good luck with anything you will decide to make .

All LBA technical information goes in here -> LBA File Information Project

LBA Prequel Demo has been released! See our blog