Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > LBA Modifications > LBA Modifications - General
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 2004-11-11, 13:45
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBrasilo
- alexfont: You both are right. Actually, the laser and laser-like shots are in OBJFIX.HQR. The rhombuses, etc. are actually shots. The 1x1 sprites in SPRITES.HQR are thus just unused sprites, I think put as 1x1 sprites, instead of removing, because otherwise, the game would have crashed (as they were formerly used, and it would have been too difficult to edit all of the scenes, so blank sprites were put there). So, it's clear now.
Ok.

Because of that I saw that I need to disabled this 1x1 images in the spriraw.hqr too

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2004-11-11, 14:21
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
- alexfont: Also, you should think about an option to import bitmaps as sprites. If you want, we can co-operate on it together. Thus, we would be able to import something into those 1x1 sprites, making them real sprites. Also, you should think about a conversion option, with many variants, like:
LBA 1 SPRITE -> LBA 1 BRICK and vice-versa,
LBA 2 SPRITE -> LBA 2 BRICK and vice-versa,
LBA 1 SPRITE -> LBA 2 BRICK and vice-versa,
LBA 2 SPRITE -> LBA 1 BRICK and vice-versa.
There are thus 8 possibilites.
If you want, we can co-operate on this, too. What do you think?
Old 2004-11-11, 14:38
Magic Ball Master

I think this convertions you discribe ins't important. Sprite and Bricks use the same format but the sprites just have 8 bytes more with useless (for us) informations.

The bitmap one its importante but not just for sprite. I was thinking a way that people could make is own bitmap and convert for any type of LBA special images but I didn't get it work yet. I first need to learn how can I take the palette from bitmaps and convert it to LBA ones. Also I need to make the image load code diferent, I'm making pixel by pixel and ins't the best way to do it.

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.

Old 2004-11-11, 15:00
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfont
The bitmap one its importante but not just for sprite. I was thinking a way that people could make is own bitmap and convert for any type of LBA special images but I didn't get it work yet. I first need to learn how can I take the palette from bitmaps and convert it to LBA ones. Also I need to make the image load code diferent, I'm making pixel by pixel and ins't the best way to do it.
Actually, I can do this conversion for you. I already did a similar thing for Wolf3-D. Also, there would be no need to convert the image palette. Just include 2 palettes with your package (the LBA 1 and the LBA 2 one), and explain the people, that the images they want to import have to be 256 colors, and in the correct palette. Also, there's no other possibility to load such images than pixel-to-pixel, except, if we try to convert it to .BMP and then load it on a normal picture box. But for normal images, actually, even Paint Shop Pro itself can convert them into the RAW format, which is exactly what the games use, but, still, I can do both procdures (RawToBitmap and BitmapToRaw) for you, if you want. It's no problerm for me.
Old 2004-11-11, 15:29
Magic Ball Master

I need to convert the image palette. The images people could do can have different colours that LBA1&2 palette haven't. Its like the images in the Ress resource. All images use diferent palettes.
Its possible open the images in diferent way I'm doing. El Muerte do that with his LBA Viewer. That way is really fast because its like open an bitmap. But the image gets diferent widht (original width/2) and I couldn't export the palette for the bitmap one. I'll try to take a look at the code again, I'll reply as soon as possible about you help

Old 2004-11-11, 15:38
Welcome to Zirla!

- alexfont: Why to convert the palette with your program, if already PSP can do it?

Last edited by Battler; 2004-11-11 at 15:39. Reason: A wrong smiley...
Old 2004-11-11, 22:57
Magic Ball Master

And about the people that don't use PSP, like me?

Its a little weird people need to open another program just to get the palette...

Old 2004-11-12, 09:28
Welcome to Zirla!

- alexfont: Then, do this:
1. Get the number of colors, that the image is saved in (16, 256, 65536, or 16777216).
2. For 4-bit: just convert to 8-bit.
3. For 8-bit: get the image's palette. Then, get the colors pixel-by-pixel. For each pixel, get the color, and find the nearest matching color in the LBA 1/2 palette, and write down its index number in the converted image.
4. For 16-, 24-, and 32-bit: get the colors pixel-by-pixel. Each pixel is stored as 3 color values (actually 16-bit images don't even exist). Then, find the nearest matching color in the LBA 1/2 palette, and write down its index number in the converted image.

For the matches:
It should be:
Difference between each color (R,G,B) in the original and the LBA 1/2 color should be minimal. Find the one, who has all three differences the smallest.

I hope you understood, what I wrote.
Old 2004-11-12, 21:45
Magic Ball Master

Yes I understand, thanks.

Old 2004-11-15, 14:43
Master of Degree

Quote:
3. For 8-bit: get the image's palette. Then, get the colors pixel-by-pixel. For each pixel, get the color, and find the nearest matching color in the LBA 1/2 palette, and write down its index number in the converted image.
One thing: for *.lim images that can have different palettes it wouldn't be good to convert them to lba palette. For 8- and 4-bit images saving them as lim+pal files will not be hard, but what with 16-bit and above? Some kind of palette optimization will be necessary (it can be also done with IrfanView - free image-viewing program).

For ripping a palette from bmp I can attach bmp specification for you.

All LBA technical information goes in here -> LBA File Information Project

LBA Prequel Demo has been released! See our blog
Old 2004-11-15, 15:29
Welcome to Zirla!

- Zink: none of the current LBA games reads the lim+pal files. You have to convert the palette. Also, for 16-bit an above, I already wrote, how to do it.
Old 2004-11-15, 15:34
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zink
Would be great

Old 2004-11-15, 15:35
Welcome to Zirla!

- alexfont: Me second.
Old 2004-12-01, 21:08
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
When you get time, send me the specifications please

Old 2004-12-02, 10:34
Master of Degree

Whoah, I overlooked your replies, sorry. Here's the specification.

Quote:
none of the current LBA games reads the lim+pal files.
What? Just try to open any lim from ress.hqr with standard palette. You can't because almost all of them have custom palettes stored in appropriate .pal files.
Attached Files
File Type: txt BMPspec.txt‎ (39.1 KB, 192 views)

Old 2004-12-02, 11:09
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Whoah, I overlooked your replies, sorry. Here's the specification.
Thanks.
Now I have the code optimized, the images open fast. The only thing is missing yet its to import the palette for Bitmap.

Old 2004-12-02, 21:53
Magic Ball Master

Ok, I've already did the code to import the palette for bitmap.
But the first image I open doens't have the palette and don't know why :/ When I reload the image again it display right.

Any ideas?

Old 2004-12-03, 11:12
Master of Degree

It may have 16 or 24 bit colour, such bitmaps doesn't have palette included.

Old 2004-12-03, 20:22
Welcome to Zirla!

- Zink: In LBA 2 and LBA 1, all images are in 256 colors. Games in 16-bit, 24-bit, and 32-bit color graphics are a rather recent appearance.
Old 2004-12-03, 21:15
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
It may have 16 or 24 bit colour, such bitmaps doesn't have palette included.
It's fixed.

I'm creating an 8bit Bitmap but didn't put the pixel format in this bitmap when the program start. I put it inside the routine :S

Old 2004-12-05, 23:25
Welcome to Zirla!

- alexfont: So... when will the next version be out?
Old 2004-12-06, 00:00
Magic Ball Master

Probably this weekend but I can't promise...

Old 2004-12-06, 00:11
Master of Degree

OBrasilo => I thought he was going to load a "normal" bitmap, not the one from the game.

Old 2004-12-14, 18:54
it hurts

Why doesnt ANYONE post some screenshots of their really really great programs?!
Old 2004-12-14, 21:58
Magic Ball Master

Well, I think people could easly try the program, but here's some LBA Screen Viewer screenies:

(Main program window)

(With LBA2 screen.hqr file opened in the 8th entrie)

(With LBA1 sprite.hqr file opened in the 54th entrie)

(Single *.lim and *.pal opened. Also you can see some image options)

(An imported *.jpg image. Also you can see some palette options)

I hope you like it