Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > LBA Projects > Little Script Adventure
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Little Script Adventure An open-source 3D engine with assets and tools for all future LBA fan-games.

Old 2013-01-15, 14:12
Magic Level: Red Ball

Another implementation

Well, I'll just drop it here: https://github.com/ambient92/Calcifer
Obviously, it requires LSA assets to work - check the readme. No binaries are available yet, since github doesn't provide file storage. Written in C#, not C++, but still is cross-platform (in fact, the binary file is the same for any OS)
UPD: you can get binaries here. Drop everything into the LSA folder, should work fine.
And some screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/zLLrZ

What currently works:
  • Movement is mostly correct (some issues with NPC rotation due to motion being handled in a different way)
  • Crates can be pushed (albeit in a more physics-based manner)
  • Lua scripting works mostly fine. This means proper levers, doors, platforms, also animations.
What does not:
  • Sounds. Should be quite easy to implement.
  • Shadows and transparency. Not exactly interested in the graphics part right now, but my rendering pipeline allows to implement it in a non-intrusive way.
  • Spawning objects with scripts (bullets, magicballs and other stuff). Requires parsing map files during runtime, and I'd prefer solving it some other way.
  • Particles. That's the major pain in the ass, probably.
Aside from better rendering pipeline, there is:
  • Animation blending. In most cases you no longer need those transition animations.
  • Good entity system. Each object is constructed from simple components.
However, those features require support from scripting: current scripts are heavily based on the animation state - there is no way to correctly handle an object which has two animations being played at once. Entity system might provide much better Lua API than what we have now.

Right now I'm working on scripting to provide a fully functional replacement to the main project.

Last edited by ambient; 2013-01-16 at 02:55.
Old 2013-01-16, 19:57
Magic Ball Master

Can't test right now but it seams really interesting.
What is the main point of this engine? Is the engine supposed to work for other games too? Or its just to practice?

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2013-01-16, 20:44

For one thing this is indeed a hobby of mine which is supposed to be an exercise of some sort. But making "just a game engine" is pretty pointless, and since activity of this remake project is slowly fading away, it occurred to me that it might be a good idea to fan things up a bit.
The main point should be something along the lines of "create something worthy using the existing assets while keeping my code as game-agnostic as possible for future reuse". Additional bonus points for doing that in a managed programming language like Java/C#.
Old 2013-01-25, 00:16

I hope at least someone will find this preview interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swmJG23w--Y

Update on particle system:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7OsQ105FeM

And if I correctly understand how Dropbox folder sharing works, you should be able to get the latest build here, if you don't want to compile it by yourself:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/699dl4tfmzd04cm/FgHLxyvrJ1