Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > The site and forum
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The site and forum Place your comments about the Magic Ball Network here. Talk here about the Magicball Network and the forum.

Old 2013-05-14, 11:24
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Well Jesse clearly isn't accepting you.

What are you going to do about it?
Are you:

1) going to beg him like a dog until he accepts you?

2) find a way to deal with this rejection?
Old 2013-05-14, 11:40
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler View Post
You misunderstood me completely. With "lesser member", I meant a lesser variant, class or caste of regular member, with less possibility of upwards mobility.
And I don't care about status or power, I do care about the public perception of me, however, and about my own self-confidence... and getting told that I'll always be a bad guy because of stupidities I did as a teenager is quite a blow.
hmm this is not the first time that you change the meaning of something that has been said. I never said you are a bad guy for instance.

It's just my peculiar preference for moderators to be rather neutral and that moderators should be free to discuss things, not having to worry that the said defendant later on can open up old discussions. Doesn't have much to do with you personally.
Old 2013-05-14, 12:53
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Well, regarding neutrality... you're confusing up posting with moderator. I post non-neutrally, sure (and I think everyone else here does that) but that doesn't mean I'd moderate like that too, especially on a forum I'm the founder of. I sure may get involved in conflicts easily, but I have good moderator ethics and I've learned them the hard way.

As for the freedom of discussion, I see your point and I can see it being a problem with a defendant getting access to said discussions reasonably soon after the offenses/punishments. But in my specific case, it's been 8-9 years, and I don't even care about what was discussed about me back then. Especially since I know I was a complete and utter fuckwit back then, so if anything, any discussion from back then would be a reflection of that.

- Anakin: True, you're right. I should find a way to deal with it rather than beg.
Old 2013-05-14, 13:27
Magic Ball GrandMaster

I'm dealing with it as well. Jesse and I still can't stand the sight of each other, we don't need more than a word to set our war afire again, with all catastrophic collateral damage taken into account. Absolutely anything either of us would say to eachother is mistaken as a serious conflict and offence, so we're always on lava when dealing with conversations we both take part in.

Very often Kitarii has to step in and pull us apart, make it perfectly clear to the both of us what's really going on. And then we take turns in hiding from him so we can continue the war again.

But, we're both great guys, so we get along just fine

Uiteraard een beetje overdreven, maar het is maar om het punt duidelijk te maken.

Threads: News, Introduction, Discussion, Bugs collection || Content: Characters, Enemies, Items
Words come in all sizes. But even if they fit you,
they might not come at appropriate times.

Good for everyone is finding yourself first,
and then the good in others second.
Old 2013-05-14, 13:41
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by J McKalling View Post
I'm dealing with it as well. Jesse and I still can't stand the sight of each other, we don't need more than a word to set our war afire again, with all catastrophic collateral damage taken into account. Absolutely anything either of us would say to eachother is mistaken as a serious conflict and offence, so we're always on lava when dealing with conversations we both take part in.

Very often Kitarii has to step in and pull us apart, make it perfectly clear to the both of us what's really going on. And then we take turns in hiding from him so we can continue the war again.

Uiteraard een beetje overdreven, maar het is maar om het punt duidelijk te maken.
Lol.
Old 2013-05-14, 13:53
Party animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by j mckalling View Post
i'm dealing with it as well. Jesse and i still can't stand the sight of each other, we don't need more than a word to set our war afire again, with all catastrophic collateral damage taken into account. Absolutely anything either of us would say to eachother is mistaken as a serious conflict and offence, so we're always on lava when dealing with conversations we both take part in.

Very often kitarii has to step in and pull us apart, make it perfectly clear to the both of us what's really going on. And then we take turns in hiding from him so we can continue the war again.

huehuehuehuohuohuohuehuehuehuehuohouhue
Old 2013-05-14, 14:51
Neko

Quote:
Well, regarding neutrality... you're confusing up posting with moderator. I post non-neutrally, sure (and I think everyone else here does that) but that doesn't mean I'd moderate like that too, especially on a forum I'm the founder of. I sure may get involved in conflicts easily, but I have good moderator ethics and I've learned them the hard way.

As for the freedom of discussion, I see your point and I can see it being a problem with a defendant getting access to said discussions reasonably soon after the offenses/punishments. But in my specific case, it's been 8-9 years, and I don't even care about what was discussed about me back then. Especially since I know I was a complete and utter fuckwit back then, so if anything, any discussion from back then would be a reflection of that.

- Anakin: True, you're right. I should find a way to deal with it rather than beg.
Well wether or not I find you suitable for a mod says nothing about me rejecting or accepting you as a person.

You wouldn't want me to fix your house either for example.
Old 2013-05-14, 15:01
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Jesse, I'd actually let you fix my house. See, this is were we differ. I don't presume people's ability to moderate based on how they post on a forum. And I certainly don't consider someone unfit because of past offenses. But to each its own, I guess.
And OK, good to know that you keep mod suitability and personal acceptance separate.
Old 2013-05-14, 15:04
Neko

Quote:
Jesse, I'd actually let you fix my house. See, this is were we differ. I don't presume people's ability to moderate based on how they post on a forum. And I certainly don't consider someone unfit because of past offenses. But to each its own, I guess.
And OK, good to know that you keep mod suitability and personal acceptance separate.
no trust me! Really don't let me fix your house!

And yes, I do base my opinion about moderation based on forum posting. But hey, it's really not up to me.
Old 2013-05-14, 15:21
Welcome to Zirla!

Well, it's just that I know people who tend to get heated in debates, almost to the point of ad hominems, but are absolutely neutral and solid when moderating. Conversely, I know of people who are apparently calm and neutral in debates, but become abusive when given power (specifically, one Administrator who was always a nice guy when talking to him, always calm and neutral, but when I gave him power, he proceded to take over my forum under the pretense of hosting it and demote me to a lesser Administrator, eventually even to a regular user and even Banned me twice for no real reason). So behavior in a debate doesn't really reflect the ability to moderate.

I mean, in my own IRC channel (#abandonet @ irc.ringoflightning.net), I often get heated during debates (especially during political debates), as does a friend of mine who's a just slightly under me in rank, but yet both of us only seldom even resort to using op powers - mostly only when rules actually get verifiably broken, which happens rarely. Otherwise, we can end up in strong disagreement, even to the point of telling "fuck you" to each other (and that always ends back to friendship 5 minutes later), but yet not use op powers at all.
And as for any concerns that I may abuse any powers given to me due to my past "ban X" campaigns - forget it. I have a big mouth, but I never take action unless I'm absolutely certain it's warranted AND I have other staff agreeing with me, even when I have the highest rank.

Edit: And just to make it clear, I don't even want to be a Super-Moderator or anything higher on this forum. I don't think I'm fit for THAT (I've never been staff in a large community before). At most I aspire to one day become a moderator of LBA Modifications General, especially as that's my favorite part of the MBN. But nothing higher than that.
Old 2013-05-14, 16:22
Neko

Still not up to me.

Anyway, let's wait what DF will say about you being a mod or not.
Old 2013-05-14, 16:39
Pim! Pim!

Question

Quote:

wait when did this happen??
Old 2013-05-14, 16:41
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimmin View Post
wait when did this happen??

You missed an exaggeration sign in the text.

Threads: News, Introduction, Discussion, Bugs collection || Content: Characters, Enemies, Items

Old 2013-05-14, 16:42
Neko

It didn't.

He has a certain humor where he likes to eh, I really don't get it.

Fact is, we always misunderstand what the other means. But I kinda think no one understands Jack

shame, cause he's a nice guy
Old 2013-05-14, 16:46
Party animal

I wouldn't be surprised if Jack wrote polaris' campaign for him...
Old 2013-05-14, 16:47
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakin View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Jack wrote polaris' campaign for him...
exactly, I didn't get that either

Still better than my non existant campaign
Old 2013-05-14, 16:50
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Well I'm part of a group of people, a special group. We understand each other, and we all have in common that a lot of people don't understand us.

So I don't really bother too much about not being understood, it's basically the story of my life right. It doesn't only happen on forums. In other words, I don't mind and can handle it. Shame you don't understand the humour though

To explain the story in short, there is something wrong with me. Or something right, I don't know. Often, I see the world in an extremely different way than most people, and I tend to pull myself back a few steps to do so. My humour is no different. For someone who doesn't really know me, it may seem like I say "A" where I really mean "Z". But in reality A is not so far away from Z, if you loop the whole set.

BTW, I didn't write Pollys text. It's not like I understand everything that you don't.

Old 2013-05-14, 16:55
Neko

Quote:
Well I'm part of a group of people, a special group. We understand each other, and we all have in common that a lot of people don't understand us.

So I don't really bother too much about not being understood, it's basically the story of my life right. In other words, I don't mind and can handle it. Shame you don't understand the humour though

To explain the story in short, there is something wrong with me. Or something right, I don't know. Often, I see the world in an extremely different way than most people, and I tend to pull myself back a few steps to do so. My humour is no different. For someone who doesn't really know me, it may seem I say "A" where I really mean "Z". But in reality A is not so far away from Z, if you loop the whole set.
Well you are right in that being different could be to your advantage.
It's just a matter of how you look at it, like you said.

If you can learn how to correctly communicate your ideas you could benefit even more from it.

I actually got the joke. It just wasn't the best
Old 2013-05-14, 16:58
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Well you are right in that being different could be to your advantage.
It's just a matter of how you look at it, like you said.

If you can learn how to correctly communicate your ideas you could benefit even more from it.
Yes. Still working on that last one...
Quote:
I actually got the joke. It just wasn't the best
Aye but you already know a few bits, I wasn't referring to you. So you're right.

The irony about "to understand eachother", is that no person could ever tell.
Unless you have a brain machine or master telepathy, and can look into someone's mind.
One can always think, or be very sure, but never certain.

Old 2013-05-14, 17:01
Neko

Quote:
Yes. Still working on that last one...

Aye but you already know a few bits, I wasn't referring to you. So you're right.

The irony about "to understand eachother", is that no person could ever tell.
Unless you have a brain machine or master telepathy, and can look in someone's mind.
One can always think, or be very sure, but never certain.
as a programmer who can communicate you'd be worth gold.
Old 2013-05-14, 17:03
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Thanks!

There's also irony about the stereotype of programmers being illiterate or incapable of communicating, because they master language.
Written language.

Old 2013-05-15, 00:29
Polly parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
exactly, I didn't get that either
You need to promote yourself, but I didn't have any idea how. So I just posted an artsy thing, saying that I could show things in a different style than what has been done before...
Something among that with "Vote for me" thrown in it.
Old 2013-05-15, 11:22
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
According to the admin CP, Battler is not a moderator, although has been given special privileges on some forums.
As those privileges are close to those a mod has anyway, the confusion is understandable.

--

Battler - To be honest, I don't think we need a new mod - just like when people were pushing Rex awhile ago.
Its certainly nothing specifically against you and I certainly don't perceive you as a "bad guy". Lots of members here have started off one way and then matured over time.
Old 2013-05-15, 13:20
Welcome to Zirla!

Well, I'm not asking to become a Super-Moderator, I honestly don't think I'm fit for that and I agree we have enough Super-Moderators at the moment.
I'm asking about possibly becoming a moderator of LBA Modifications - General, because let's be honest, that place has two moderators - alexfont and ChaosFish, of which alexfont is almost inactive and ChaosFish is long gone. And sure, Super-Moderators can handle that section as well but how many of them have experiences with LBA Modifications?

Also, mind if I ask why I was not made full moderator of the two forums I'm (supposed to be) a moderator of? Because knowing this actually confuses me even more.
Old 2013-05-15, 17:56
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Now I understand it. Thanks DF!

@Battler: DF says he thinks the forum doesn't need a new moderator, and that it is doing fine without. This has nothing to do with you, your activity or the availability of the others.
I'm not active there, so I can't tell whether I share the opinion that one is or isn't needed.